1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Lesbians in the 48 groups?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Kawamoto Chiyo, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Kawamoto Chiyo

Kawamoto Chiyo Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kinoshitamomoka
    NOTE: Remember, this is all speculation, and people assume straightness all the time so what's wrong with hypothesizing that someone is gay??

So, I don't think there's a thread already like this, so I'll start it.

We all know that 48 girls do a lot of fanservice.

But out of so many girls, there are definitely some actually gay ones.

My number one speculation is Akimoto Sayaka, formerly of AKB48. Now, we all know she is a huge LGBT ally, but if you check her Twitter, she Tweets about things related to homosexuality ALL THE TIME lol, and also just lesbian-like tweets. Sometimes, things so extreme that it kind of seems like she's out without being out, you know?

Also, it seems she really enjoys kissing girls when she does, and she enjoys playing masculine roles.

I also suspect Kinoshita Momoka from NMB48.

What about you all?

2. oscar6262

oscar6262 Kenkyuusei

I heard about Tashima Meru, her live per oshibe to meshibe to yoru no chouchou was too sexual so they removed her and piichan (thats what i heard)
    and her crush on Izumi suspicious.

3. flutterbyu

flutterbyu Member

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    I think if there are any, they'd probably be the last ones you'd expect. Playing flirty "girl love" stuff is fanservice, but if it were ever to be revealed that a girl was actually a lesbian? Most likely the reaction would be very negative overall. It ruins the "she could be my girlfriend" fantasy that they work so hard to cultivate, and the attitude towards actual homosexuality (vs. pretending or in manga) is still quite negative in Japan. It's a weird double standard. Pretend to be gay=hot! Actually be gay= ewww. So, if a girl really did have those kind of feelings I bet she would try to steer away from a "girl love" chara so she wouldn't be caught.

Statistically there should be some, but then again, maybe girls drawn to the "idol lifestyle" (dressing up in pretty costumes and short skirts to entertain men) may skew differently than the percentage in the general population.

4. oscar6262

oscar6262 Kenkyuusei

images.jpg

5. MocchiMooch

MocchiMooch Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iriyamaanna
    We'll never know until post graduation. That's the sad truth. They're in an industry where they can't be open.

Meanwhile, you can't liken appearance, behavior during performances, hairstyle, and personality to any one sexual orientation or gender identity. That's not how it works.

So Tomu and Mio are just as likely to be non straight just as much as Sae, Sayaka, Momoka, etc...

As for Meru? She's a great performer. I'm sure she just got a bit too into it that they thought it might throw off her marketing package.

So short answer? We'll probably never know.

6. shirocha

shirocha Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Miyazawa Sae, Kinoshita Momoka
    Twitter:
    soonyoungi_
    Even if they are, they aren't able to come out and say it at the risk of ruining their image, sadly.
    The only confirmed LGBT member we have is Takita Kayoko who said she is bisexual.
    There are a lot of speculations (Momoka on Geinin & in performances, Sae in Shoujiki Shougi years back, Karen saying her first love was a girl, etc) but until it's confirmed by the girls themselves we'll never know.
    It's a scary thing to come out in the first place, let alone when you're an idol and could risk your fans leaving you over it.

7. Crossheart

Crossheart Member

Oshimen:
    Amaki Sally
    Twitter:
    rom_ch22
    As RKA said, based on only pure statistics, there must be at least 3 girls (among all the groups) on the LGBT side, but as that theme is quite obscure in Japan (worse than here), most of them are hiding because of that.

About the service thing, yeah, most of what we see is pure fanservice, i really think that the real ones are less notorious than this. BTW, about Karen, yes, she accepted that her first love was a girl, but she tough that she was a he, until she enter girl's toilet.

8. too much idea

too much idea Next Girls

Twitter:
    toomuchidea
    I'm pretty sure that the girls might turn bisexual at one point. I mean, they are in the group with what beautiful girls from all across japan and they are not allowed to date with a male until they graduate (Or as long as they did not get caught)
    IIRC Myao said once that she went home and thought about what's happening to her since she's attracted to Sae. And Karen also admitted that her first love is a girl through Hatsukoi Lady

9. Kawaki Otsutsuki

Kawaki Otsutsuki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Shiraishi Mai
    this is a pretty random thread heh...there is absolutely no question in my mind these girls have experienced or at least thought about messing with each other.i mean know they're pretty close with each other because they're with each other quite a bit and they change together and I assume bathe together as well pretty regularly.now from my experiences talking to girls I've known quite a bit of girls that were attracted to other girls and would consider getting it on with another girl if that girl talked them into it and I've known many girls that just plain out love messing with girls.but from what I've seen with my own eyes and heard with my own ears it is extremely common for girls especially younger girls to experiment so it's not surprising to me if the 48 girls have had a few test drives.

10. brunoiaz

brunoiaz Kenkyuusei

We will probably never known, Japan is very conservative about LGBT+ people (Almost 0 rights to the community, several stereotypes on society etc.). Even after their graduation lesbian/bi/etc members will probably never tell this to the public. In statistical terms, is quite probable. The "real" percentage is quite higher than 1%~2%, but most of the people (especially in a country like Japan) tend to sweep this under the rug (Try to avoid the feeling, don't tell anyone etc.). Of course some members use this to promote themselves (Momoka is a big example), but it's quite hard to tell what is truth and what is self marketing (Like pretty much everything with idols, to be honest haha).

Anyway, let's just not start with misinformation on the thread. Sexuality has nothing to do with following certain stereotypes of gender, like it was already said (So being a "tomboy" doesn't mean that the chances of being lesbian is higher). And, my god, saying that they might turn gay because "they can't date" is just...:fp:

11. Kinenbi

Kinenbi Member Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    kinenbi
    You don't 'turn' bisexual, you either you are or you aren't. :^^;:

I honestly do believe that Sayaka is at least bisexual, but that's just my opinion. As a bisexual woman myself I just get a ~vibe~ from her, plus she is a very vocal ally for LGBT rights. People can be vocal and straight, but there is something about her that doesn't scream "I'm a straight ally".

Kayoyon coming out as bisexual is a BIG reason why I like her, it's a huge step for someone to take! Especially in Japan, a country that is only starting to catch up to others in terms of gay rights.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. too much idea

too much idea Next Girls

Twitter:
    toomuchidea
    Come to think of it, "turn" is a weird word to say it. I'll change it to interested

13. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Japan (as in the case of the rest of Asia) is really different in its conservatism for LGBT. That being said, statistically the population is likely to be around 5-10% LGBT (in the most generous scenario). I wouldn't say that there are "0 rights", or even that public society necessarily has bad stereotypes of them (they don't), but rather a simple "don't stick out, be normal, etc." kind of mentality.

14. PooPyon

PooPyon Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yoshihashi Yuzuka
    Twitter:
    akibachans
    There are plenty of girls that have the "yuri" character (can't believe y'all forget Naana), but like everyone else said, we really can't know for sure. We know girls like Paruru and Komiharu are definitely straight (or bisexual) by the way they talk about guys; and I remembered Maachun talking about how she loves someone older in that variety show about deep topics?

15. Kawamoto Chiyo

Oshimen:
    kinoshitamomoka
    YES, I'm a lesbian, and my gaydar PINGSSSS with Sayaka, more than any other 48g idol. Thanks for agreeing!

16. Discothèque

Discothèque Member

Oshimen:
    anaichihiro
    Twitter:
    _ohmyArin
    Just asking but does it matter to anyone whether any of the girls likes boys, girls or both?

17. Kawaki Otsutsuki

Kawaki Otsutsuki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Shiraishi Mai
    it doesn't matter to me what they like.it's not like I'm going to get a chance anytime soon to date any of them so I really don't care nor should anyone else for that matter.but on the other hand if they get with guys then they can produce future idols for us to look forward to.:blush:

18. MocchiMooch

MocchiMooch Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iriyamaanna
    It doesnt, but it's an interesting topic to consider. LGBT representation in J-pop is about as astoundingly low as POC representation in Western cinema... (PTSD flashbacks of white Jesus and white Cleopatra)

And I for one, would love to relate to someone in J-media in that respect. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll happen so long as I stick within the Idol world.

19. Kawamoto Chiyo

Oshimen:
    kinoshitamomoka
    Yes. It would be so empowering if I knew which girls were like me. I would be able to relate to them more.

20. brunoiaz

brunoiaz Kenkyuusei

Japan is a interesting case about LGBT+ rights, compared to Western countries. The direct violence related to the community is practically null, but it's something completely hidden from society and ignored by government (from what I know, at least). Same-sex unions are not recognized at all, for example. I know there are some laws related to the T community (for example), but overall the situation is pretty lacking. Overall, I think the violence exists, but in a much more implicit form compared to the West. About the stereotypes, "Hard gay" is a known example.