1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Album AKB48 8th [Thumbnail] (17/01/25)

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by YJSN_ParuYuko, Nov 22, 2016.

1. kanjo

kanjo Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    We should acknowledge their weakness but (a) it's the only way to compare to past sales (and sales of non-top 5 singles) and (b) they release much more specific figures than soundscan/billboard.

2. Cisalpine88

Cisalpine88 Next Girls

Twitter:
    speranzom
    I think people would take Soundscan numbers even less seriously if they knew about the flawed "weighting" system they employ to make up for missing sales numbers that their scanning devices can't collect, a flaw that has been gamed by everyone in the music industry for almost 20 years and makes their numbers even less accurate. Too bad people here are stuck with the misconception that Soundscan just "counts out bulk sales", when in reality it doesn't at all.

3. Cisalpine88

Cisalpine88 Next Girls

Twitter:
    speranzom
    I admit I haven't really cared about sales after the release of Beginner, but wouldn't it be obvious that the most reliable source is the one that counts ONE purchase as ONE, rather than as 1, 2, 5, 10 or even 0 depending on the store where the CD was bought?

People used to criticize charts like Oricon mainly because it was said they relied only on verbal communication with the store owners for their sales calculation, without requiring any further proofs to back them up. Things have changed now, and data is extrapolated by comparing various sources.

Meanwhile, the Soundscan "weighting" still remains unchanged to this day even though reports of people (as well as labels themselves) exploiting it to inflate their own position in the charts at the expense of others have been pouring in for years. This is mostly rooted in the fact that Soundscan is adamant in wanting to collect only the data that come from their own proprietary scanning devices. However, not many (surely not all) stores can afford the devices or the yearly subscription to the survey program, this results in lots of data missing, so they have to do some math tricks to figure out the total sales numbers from only opaque partial data. This is done by applying these arbitrary "sales multipliers" to certain stores or store chains, while ignoring others.
    I can imagine that the situation is even more severe in Japan, where the distribution of these devices is even less widespread, so there has to be much more missing data to compensate for and the extrapolated results end up being even more inaccurate.

Back in 90s people were already raising suspicions about the reliability of Soundscan's weighting.
    http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...-has-changed-the-landscape/Content?oid=887500
    http://www.nytimes.com/1996/01/25/arts/are-pop-charts-manipulated.html
    These concerns still lingered on in the Bush years, when the flaws in the weighting were found and actively exploited
    https://nypost.com/2002/12/06/music-ales-scam-retailers-reporting-bogus-album-numbers/
    https://web.archive.org/web/2008111...neous-retail-retail-stores-not/4363270-1.html
    http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2006/oct/05/soundscam/
    https://web.archive.org/web/2012072...tem-its-affect-record-sales-130989.html?cat=2
    https://books.google.com/books?id=Wi7HJI_f23EC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA8#v=onepage&q&f=false
    20 years later, in the year 2016 the flaw in the weighting system hasn't been solved yet despite the cospicuous exploitations!
    http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=303742
    Meanwhile, the Billboard director would rather "not speak to their system", even though they keep integrating their flawed data in their calculations
    http://www.avclub.com/article/ibillboardis-director-of-charts-explains-how-a-tra-93406

Considering that Soundscan certainly does NOT weed out "gimmick" editions (at best, they separate them, but only if they have different barcodes), does NOT calculate unique purchases, and does NOT detect bulk sales, I'd choose Oricon over it any day. At least their sales figures are not so obviously fiddled with.
    Then, there's also the question about Oricon charts and their relatively new restrictions (they were revealed only in 2015, and who knows how long they had been going on). Basically, even if someone buys CDs in a bulk, the charts will only count up to 20 copies per person (I don't know of any other chart that does so). But that's another story...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. 10Ten

10Ten Kenkyuusei

I Gotta be honest...this album actually has some solid songs. Even Bucket (I know it's actually baguette but I find funnier calling it Bucket) got stuck in my head. At first I was shaky but I love Ayamichi cause sayanees voice <3

5. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    Lol most of the English websites still translate it as bucket so I dunno if I should care anymore to calling it baguette -__-

6. Blitzius

Blitzius Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    hashimotonanami
    just a beginner to the whole 48 fandom [used to like Mariko] but hot damn, Okada and Yuihan look absolutely stunning.
    trouble is, i dont know many of the other hands on the album covers. if its not too much trouble, could someone tell me who is who on the artwork?

also related: theatre edition: backrow, 2nd from left: is that Suda?

7. Kiri

Kiri Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    岡田奈々 / 손채영
    from left to right and top to bottom

Type A: Kitahara Rie, Okada nana, Kashiwagi Yuki, Iriyama Anna, Yamamoto Sayaka, Kojima Haruna and Sashihara Rino.

Type B: Kodama Haruka, Takahashi Juri, Yokoyama Yui, Kato Rena, Matsui Jurina, Watanabe Mayu and Miyawaki Sakura.

Theater Edition: Kizaki Yuria, Suda Akari, Nakai Rika, Oguri Yui, Muto Tomu, Mukaichi Mion and Kojima Mako

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  8. Blitzius

Blitzius Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    hashimotonanami
    you are a blessing. thank you so much
    how.. kojiharu still going strong. wow

9. Arbios

Arbios Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    she's graduating next month

10. warubii

warubii Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    komiyamaharuka
    Twitter:
    warubii666
    Am I the only one who prefers the old way the albums were? 3 cds? I hate the way this one was did, just like Nogi's second and NMB's albums. Just... no. Also I expected the new songs to be lots better. :glare: At least the visuals are stunning.

11. ZenigameX

ZenigameX Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanimarika
  12. ForrestFuller

ForrestFuller Senbatsu

13. 10Ten

10Ten Kenkyuusei

About 16K lower than 0 to 1 no aida, iirc. So honestly it's on par--not too bad.

14. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    We need to keep this in mind that this is a studio album, not a best album. But does anybody have first-week sales numbers for the previous albums ready for comparison purposes?

15. marioworldakb

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
  16. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Plus, 0to1 was more expensive.

Thumb sold 100k less than Rhodes.
    That's indeed a dip, but Ohwell, it came a bit out of nowhere and the tracklist is crap, so yeah.

17. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

Well I finally listened to the album.
    My favorites are definitely Ano hi no jibun, Get you!, Tanjoubi Tango, Coin Toss, and Ayamachi.

This "baguette" thing really got out of hand, I see. Yeah, it's definitely "baguette". I've learned that with romaji song titles, if it can be one of two things, it's usually not going to be the thing you expect it to be. (Sabita rock is another really good example of this - did anyone really expect it to be rusted ROCK rather than rusted LOCK?) Sometimes you need to wait for context clues from the whole body of lyrics.

But honestly, if we're talking about f'd up songs from the album, Tanjoubi Tango takes the cake, guys. The BIRTHDAY cake [hehe]

I think it's a nice, solid album really. The songs are all quite good, and there are a few real winners on there. Plus I'm glad Naachan got a solo, of course. Hope she can take RH #1 next year :^^;:

18. marioworldakb

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    LOL damn, I dunno who to blame google sensei or the ones who thought of the titles XD

Depression suicidal emo cake << should be the song title XD

Thanks on the translation senpai!

19. aspen_552001

aspen_552001 Kenkyuusei

Hi, I was opening the CD package for a friend and noticed that he received a couple of these. May I know what are they? Thanks.

Attached Files:

20. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    They each entitle him to have the Thumbnail theater edition CD booklet signed by a group member of his choice on the day of the 2-shot. In his case it's for the event on 4/22 and if he has 2 of those tickets he can have 2 signings. The event schedule for the signings is here: http://www.kingrecords.co.jp/cs/pages/8th-album-event.aspx

In each slot in that list the named member will be signing rather than 2-shotting and only the first 300 people in each line will get a signing by that member. (That's as I understand it, I'll be going to the first event on 3/20 so hopefully I'll report in the Experiences thread.)

• Like Like x 1