1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Hirate Yurina (Techi) / Keyakizaka46 1st Generation

Discussion in 'Sakurazaka46 Graduated Members' started by nakotteiijan, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Hunter

Hunter Kenkyuusei

Maybe I just overthinking but I just saw the show tonight with interview before performance, from Techi action there I think it's not only insecure but even like she is scared of something... her hand hold grinding, her body shrinked and she keep look down with no facing toward

2. Rayman21

Rayman21 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    odanana
    Maybe she just had an off day, who knows?

I think it's best not to think too much about it for now.

3. _creepstone

_creepstone Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shidamanaka
    She IS a teenager. People just tend to forget that because she usually acts mature. She's just 16 and the burden and responsibility is too great for her that she eventually lost her innocent smile. Maybe she's just really tired here or something.

4. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    i think this conversation is leading to an interesting topic, which is professionalism.

Feelings makes our heads dizzy and hearts passionate. Most of the time they blind us from objective reasoning. Our feelings always create conflict when trying to figure out what's happening to our idols. If we should think one way or another.

Let's put aside our personal perception of techi, and let's answer some questions : Does her performance affect how japanese viewers perceive the group? The answer is yes. Let's keep in mind that, Sony management doesn't want to convince us, already fans, of keyakizaka greatness. By appearing in mainstream media, they want to appeal to newcomers. Those regular japanese viewers are very, very sensitive to the surface of the performance. It increase tenfold techi responsability in giving a good impression to them when singing and dancing. What i want to point out, is that performance is very important.

Now the context : Techi herself. She does have mood swings. I do agree her understanding of keyakizaka songs is what makes her unique, along with her expressions. However her weakness is that she doesn't seem to grasp her own limits, or only very recently. She needs to realize overdoing it in activities is affecting her performance. Looking at the latest kaze ni fukaretemo , i'm not 100% convinced it's only about not being able to convey a song. Otherwise she would have tried to fit kaze ni uplifting atmosphere, which she failed to do. I don't think she tried.

It looks like in her defense, we call the only human argument where no one's perfect and that not performing well is because of exhaustion. Of course, fair enough. I think the problem lie in how long those mood swings are happening. It is persisting, at a concerning rate. Techi unconsistency is following a pattern that is not explained by hectic schedule, nor by atmosphere of the song. We could say "it will go off" eventually; but my point is, because she is keyakizaka center, it is important to address the issue. I don't pretend to know her, but for what i've seen she's self inflicting pressure a lot. This is something people can work on. To find peace, an equilibrium. Techi is going overboard sometime for the best ( reaching artistic level fukyouwaon) and for the worst (ded inside kaze ni fukaretemo).

There's a thin gap between what we call professionalism as an entertainer (and by being an idol, techi has it) and her identity as an idol. It leads a lot to misunderstanding, intended or not to prove a point. For example, fans would accuse other fans to not respect techi true nature because we ask her to smile more. Smiling when we're down is fake smile, always being happy is a fallacious idol stereotype only to please men desire, etc. The question is, does Techi mood fall into this category? After all, you can't force her to be genki with fans in handshake, or being superactive in variety like oda nana in keyakitte.

what i think is, it is not techi's nature to put a forceful smile on her face, or not looking at the camera. But i also think her character isn't defined by this mature, melancholic personality only as well. Always downside. She looks nice in zankoku drama, in radio, in pv shooting. Nowadays there's only glimpse of it, but it exist. This energy, she can bring it during performance. She doesn't want to? I don't know why, but i hope she's aware performance is not the usual quality these days.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. leocgomes

leocgomes Member Stage48 Donor

What if the idea is exactly that Hirate shows her true self? That she should not put a smile on her face if she's not feeling happy enough for it ?

Or what if she feels unable to do her best and try to hide herself so people can pay attention on the other girls? Or maybe she just feels bad for couldn't do her best and let it show.

Enviado de meu Moto X Play usando Tapatalk

6. Meiji Ishin

Meiji Ishin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    horimiona
    ^ The other question to be asked is who is Sony trying to impress? Understanding that no group is going to have universal appeal, does Techi's behavior, attitude and uneven performances have the effect of increasing Keya's standing with younger people and women/girls exactly because older people and men (the traditional wotas) find it off putting and/or because it mirrors their own attitude to the traditional Japanese power structure, even if those younger and more gender diverse fans aren't in a position to express it to that power structure themselves.
    Don't underestimate the pull that being disliked by ones parents can have on the youth for a musical act.

7. biboloxo

biboloxo Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    An idol who doesn't want to smile if she doesn't feel happy enough? Why should she become an idol in the first place then? And saying she just "be her true self" is BS, b/c are you saying that the majority of idols out there always put a fake smile on their faces?

The best solution right now is giving her a long vacation. During that time, she will have enough time to rest, and to think about what she really wants to do. B/c an idol who doesn't smile, and an idol who has no trust in her fans is the worst.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. leocgomes

leocgomes Member Stage48 Donor

Why not? A different concept for a different public maybe.

For me it's clear that (many) idols play characters to please the fans, who know about this but follow the character anyway because they like it.

And even for those idols who don't play a character, want to smile all the time is impossible so yes, many times their smiles are fake ones.

9. _creepstone

_creepstone Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shidamanaka
    I've also noticed her being apathetic during her performances lately and yes, even I felt disappointed on her level of professionalism however, I've tried looking at it in a different angle. She's on the most delicate part of her life as a youth. Let's be frank, she's really being immature but I just try to empathize with her situation. Think of how she's only 14 when she started but such a heavy burden was placed on her shoulders and now that the burden got too great for the now 16 year-old girl, she's getting darker and darker deep inside. Having people's great expectations placed on you is really really tiring, I've been on the same boat and I think most of us did.
    She has her own reasons so let's respect her. It won't hurt for her to just be herself though speaking of professionalism, she's an amateur. I became their fan because of how expressive Techi and Mona are(both are really rebellious). Keya is a rare type of idol group who doesn't hide their emotions. Let's just see how she's going to grow after this.

Let's be honest, a lot of idols have fake smiles on their faces but it doesn't mean that ALL of them do. Does that mean that for you, an idol is equivalent to an always smiling person? I very much prefer the idols who're expressive of themselves, who don't smile if they don't want to. It's actually a matter of taste for people so I have no say. We have our own definitions of the word "idol"

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  10. SunlitZelkova

SunlitZelkova Member

Oshimen:
    Higashimura Mei
    Considering we basically have only her facial expressions and behavior to go off of I don't think we fans are entitled to make scheduling requests for her health when for all we know, this is an act and she is just fine. Until she is unconscious on the stage I am skeptical she really needs a huge break.

11. _creepstone

_creepstone Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shidamanaka
    We may have no say but if you simply observe closely, she is not well since being unwell doesn't really need to be only physically, it can also be emotionally and psychologically.

12. Hunter

Hunter Kenkyuusei

I thinking of the case if Techi now facing the trouble that with herself that even she can not understand. It's like Techi now afraid because she don't know what to do, she may know and want to convey the song but she could not do it, maybe for exhaust or anything that she hasn't realize. Or maybe somethings happened that make her confuse in what to believe or what to do. Member's relationship went down about perf? I don't know for sure but she may drowning into that and became afraid of performing in that state

13. MasToppu

MasToppu Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Kosaka Nao
    I think there's misinterpretation about idol's smile here. Of course, as an idol, they need to smile to their fans who are coming to their HS. It's the very normal way to show that they are grateful, because their fans are willing to spend their time and money to see their idol. However, on stage, idol can't always smile all the time. They have to follow what song they're singing. Song like SiMajo, Fukyouwaon or getsuyoubi, is the song where smile isn't needed, because of its lyrics and the song type. But, for songs like Sekai ni, Futari or Kaze ni, where it's about love and fun, smiling is necessary, especially if they want to convey the message from its lyric. So, if they sing Kaze ni without smiling, wasn't that totally wrong way to perform this song? :confused:

14. Ally_

Ally_ Future Girls

Oshimen:
    sugaiyuuka
    At this rate, she already passed Acchan in terms of being angsty and dark. Acchan was also in this phase where her eyes suddenly lost it spark. The physical self is still there, but the soul is somewhere else. Difference is, Acchan tries to hide it with her smiles (but her eyes give it away) while Techi just straightforwardly shows whatever mood she has that day.

I love Techi, I really do, but she's the center and have reponsibilities to uphold as much as we deny it. She bring K46's image and it's affecting not only her but also the group (and to some extent, their fans).

15. diki

diki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kitagawaryoha
    hooked sooo much since the first time saimajo live at m-ste.. those dance, ocean was split when lord techi move forward, their expresion, totallity was blown my mind.

i am only poor man who rarelly have opportunity to go to japan.
    once i have those opportunity, miraculously TIF was held. get the ticket very easily on rakuten.
    keya was 14:00 on summer stage. sacrifice my curiosity for akb-hkt. went to hot summer stage with 39 degree of celcius blazing hot sunshine.
    i almost cry when overture was played. thanks god, the big man allow me to see keya even for only 40 min
    shortly, abunakkashi was performed with techi stoned like robot without eyes.
    clearly with my own eye she make mess her hair intentionally to hid her face. what shock me the most. when they introduce themselves "keya46 desu" techi was not moving her hand and make those gesture.. she is center but soon after music stop and time for mc, she hide herself.
    painfull to see.. my only chance to see keya was not as amazing as i thought it would be.

sorry for blabbing.. just my story how small "not smile" thing have done big impact to my self.

16. ariadne32391

ariadne32391 Member

Oshimen:
    watanaberika
    Techi being such a strong center at a young age is probably the reason that catapulted Keyaki to such great heights. She drew a lot of people in and as such the spotlight has been on her ever since.

She is the driving force that pulled Keyaki forward but if this problem continues she could also cause the downfall of Keyaki. Although downfall might be too dramatic. Sure Keyaki is not just Techi and members have been growing. But she honestly has that much pull to cause great damage.

Anyways just passing by.

17. Isaac H

Isaac H Member Stage48 Donor

Just passing by as well, with my selfish opinions below.

A lot of things have been said here about Techi in the last few pages...some I agreed with, some made me feel somewhat irritated. But I'm not here to change or attack anybody else's opinions, so I'll leave it at that.

What I wanted to say here is...I've been re-watching the earlier episodes of Keyakake and Keyabingo. I just..miss that Techi. The girl who loves watching comedy programs, who was still fresh & cheerful. Who still cherished the moment whenever the spotlight is on her.

For better or worse, yeah, people change. And a lot has happened in the last couple of years. In my mind, I accepted the fact that this idealized version of Techi that I missed...is probably gone. Perhaps for good.

Sorry, a lot of rambling here for someone who is not even my oshi. But I do truly love all of K46. And I wish nothing but the best for Hirate.

18. SunlitZelkova

SunlitZelkova Member

Oshimen:
    Higashimura Mei
    All we see are performances though, and because of the very nature of performances, they serve as no good indicator of her emotional or psychological state. Because of what an idol does, really nothing we see short of personally getting to know her away from handshake events and concerts etc. will ever really tell us what her true health state is.

19. _creepstone

_creepstone Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shidamanaka
    I get your point but I just reached to a conclusion by not only observing her performances, but even their shows and interviews.
    Even watching their variety shows, she's quite gloomy. Sometimes just observing the situation with no emotions, not even laughing despite seeing other members having fun with the hosts, but yeah, there were also times she smiles and laughs a bit but it's really rare. On their performances, there's always an interview. I tend to keep an eye on the MonaRisa pair since both are my kami oshi but Techi always catch my attention. Looking downwards, not even flinching, she doesn't even try to interact with others. She simply stands and do nothing, when it's time to leave, she walks brusquely.
    Seeing this, I can't deny the possibility of her being unwell, emotionally. I may be jumping to conclusions but like I said earlier, Techi is in the most delicate part of her life. We may not know the truth, we can have our assumptions. She's a teenager and teenagers tend to be emotionally unstable during this part of their lives.

20. biboloxo

biboloxo Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase