1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

NGT48 Assault Case

Discussion in 'General NGT48 Discussion' started by Cisalpine88, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Theworld

Theworld Kenkyuusei

This would make sense, if they didn't upgrade security with bunch of guard rails and tables and hired hundreds of new security personnel for each event since 2014, or move members to new dorm last month.

I am really privileged working my tail off so I can live in JP.

When did I ever say I or those guys that did the crime were better fans? I said Caring, and Caring can go from healthy to extremely unhealthy. Next time your boyfriend/girlfriend ask you why they didn't get anything for valentine/anniversary just tell them you care...

way to move the goalpost. kind of obvious who I was referring to with my statement. action does speaker louder than words, I don't have the discipline to update these threads regularly like some of the folks here, as that is a real discipline and commitment

• Dislike Dislike x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  2. parubably

parubably Kenkyuusei

here’s a new thread where people are talking about ayakani and gatanee’s treatment: http://akb48taimuzu.livedoor.biz/archives/54868681.html

i’m glad people won’t shut up about it until we get an explanation, despite the matter dying down in general public.

in addition to the previous following chart, i also noticed that kitarie doesn’t follow ayakani. not sure if that’s significant but it’s something to add to the thread.

it’s sad how at the beginnings of the thread we were trying to dig things up and were like find the culprits and mahohon will be safe!! and now we’ve pretty much found the culprits (some somewhat confirmed, some unconfirmed) and still NOTHING is happening.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  4. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. FMecha

FMecha Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    アレックス・ボウマン(?)
    Twitter:
    FMecha_EXE
    Even if gun smuggling is not involved, inciting/calling riots is still a bad business.

6. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    The first part that you didn't rephrase.

She does though? Also the chart you mention is unreliable, it's based on the numbers from tw48.net but they often differ from the follow order recorded by twitter. For example, compare the order in which Hasegawa Rena followed Aramaki Misaki (荒巻美咲), Yabuki Nako (矢吹奈子), and Motomura Aoi (本村碧唯) on tw48 vs. on twitter (scroll to the very bottom, twitter lists follows by most recent first). They should be on either side of Miku but instead tw48 lists them near the end. I don't know what caused this anomaly but it's not the only one.

Continuing with Hasegawa Rena's Twitter, everyone tw48 lists after Murashige Anna should be listed earlier. This dislocated group is in order between themselves, e.g. she followed Mirun before Aoi before Nako before Ayu etc. Up through Nishikawa Rei were all followed prior to Myao. Matsuoka Hana, Tanaka Natsumi and Okada Miku came later, but still before Ayakani and Gatanee were (re?)followed. Yumirin should be between Sakura and Naachan.

Even besides these errors, tw48 numbering is misleading because it only includes member accounts, and sometimes there are vast numbers of non-member accounts in between two seemingly consecutive member follows. Rena's initial follows up through Miyazaki Miho were almost 100% members, with only four exceptions (NGT48 official twitter, BSN Radio, Ariola Japan, and this person). The whole section is sandwiched between batches of Produce48 trainees, which leads me to believe they were all followed around the same time.

Then there's about 105~ accounts between Myao (51 on tw48) and Gatanee/Ayakani (63/64 on tw48), who are near the top of her following list and thus very recent. This lends credence to the rumour that she unfollowed them briefly in December.

The same is not true for Oguma Tsugumi, whose twitter follow order is markedly different from that shown on tw48. She followed all NGT48 members before she began following anyone else, and furthermore she had followed Ayakani and Gatanee before following anyone in Team G.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  7. Big Chungus

Big Chungus Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okaberin
    It is obviously the fault of capitalism. They make you believe it is about the money while in fact it should be about morality.

- There should be boycott! Fire Nishigata and co! Will the group survive without one of it's money maker? Of course! It would only make more room for others to shine! It will hurt management where it counts! If it hurts them then it can only be good for the group.

- Management needs to resign! Not just NGT but higher-ups in AKS. Just because they are good at making money that doesn't mean they should be leading. Will this be good for the brand? Of course! A bit of new blood can only be good.

- Let's end SSK! I know it is one of the biggest reason AKB is what it is today, what sets them apart from other idol groups but they obviously don't need it. Fans getting a little breather, realizing they can spend their money on more important things is a good thing. Will this help our idols? Of course! It will be less stressful and unpopular members do not have to feel bad and force themselves to improve.

People should realize that money is NOT what's making the whole idol world go around. Boycotting singles, firing popular money making members, ending SSK may result in smaller budget but the principles are more important. From a different point of view can it help our idols? Of course! Fewer groups, fewer members, less concerts, less TV shows, less appearances, less exposure this will all lead to less stress and fatigue.
    It is certain that revenue and popularity is not linked so any layoffs could only prove the scumminess of the management. Even if it happens would it be a good thing? Of course! Less competition means less burden and less stress to feel the need to view it as a war for fans. It might mean some idols cannot live out their dreams but it is for the better. It is a cruel business and a harsh world.

Anyway let's have change! A joint brainstorming is needed to come up with some more ideas.

• Dislike x 4
    • Creative x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Old x 1
  8. chrissirhc

chrissirhc Member

Oshimen:
    yamaguchimaho
    okay the fear mongering from brain washed fans is getting ridiculous.

Not blindly supporting any and everything the corporation an idol you like is associated with isn't going to bring about the collapse of civilization.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    Neither is blindly opposing anything and everything vaguely associated with idols you dislike (for no good reason) going to save it from collapse.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. chrissirhc

chrissirhc Member

Oshimen:
    yamaguchimaho
    nobody ever said or implied it would.
    unlike the rhetoric that's being parroted that not blindly buying everything will cause aks to collapse and put the girls on the street

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    Except that is pretty much what one side is asking for? That parody post is carrying what earlier posts on the last few pages said to their logical conclusion. "Don't talk about anything but the assault case." "Don't buy any AKS product." "Anyone who does is evil inhuman scum who disgusts me." "SSK is the problem, let's end it."

If it's the "save civilization from collapse" you're specifically objecting to, that was your exaggeration not mine. However, the unfortunate fact is that many of the "systemic problems" some people want fixed aren't so much problems as they are the system itself. There is no way to "fix" them other than ending idols, and boycotting AKS until they are fixed "satisfactorily" will mean boycotting it until it dies.

The aforementioned issues also aren't new. There've always been problematic elements in management, questionable sponsors, strife between members, and there've always, always been yakkai wota making life harder than it should be for the members. It seems like NGT had an exceptionally bad case of all four, plus maybe other things, but their problems aren't unique. And in the end, the members chose to be idols, and choose to stay idols. And we still chose to support them in spite of all the idiotic decisions management makes.

For someone who doesn't understand parody you've done a good job of writing your own. No one is "blindly buying everything". But there very much are people demanding everyone (blindly) buy nothing.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

Trying to portray the other side as extremists is a common but pretty low form of debate. While it's true there have been some " overly enthusiastic" posts recently I'm guessing those posters are younger and with a lesser grasp on the english language. Trying to paint a whole slew of people with a range of views with the most extreme viewpoint is not fair at all.

(As regards the SSK, offhand I can only recall Cristafari and myself recently mentioning it and neither of us said to end it, but we did both mention the distorting effect of the SSK and the troubling effect of that, that isn't a remotely controversial opinion imo, it's been said many times on this forum and outside it.)

I love idols, the qualities they stand for make it an amazing thing but letting the poison linger on has an even bigger chance of ruining NGT than dealing promptly with the issue imo.

Cracking down on yakkai wota, cracking down on members dating, improving management, dealing with bullying issues, dealing with members who set up members they disagree with for "friendly conversations" with thugs, these things aren't going to destroy AKS or any other major idol group, saying that it would is really over-egging the pudding.

So what your saying is, members should just have to shut up and put up with these things? So what your saying is, Maho should never have spoken up at all and ruined the idyllic paradise of NGT48? ....see I can indulge in low tactics too (Cathy Newman is a true inspiration!)

Anyway, back to seriousness, you seem to be big on the "lets just accept it" pragmatism, so do you just want the pre January 8th status quo back or something? Or do you have a solution that actually involves dealing with rulebreaking by members? And also keeping Maho in the group?

Consumer activism is a thing and boycotting can be an effective part of that. It can force individuals or companies to course correct whether it is the employer of the originator of the term Charles Boycott or for example the current dissatisfaction of gamers with Battlefield V leading to poor sales and stock losses for EA. Now EA is not going to go out of business (just as AKS wouldn't if they course correct) but you can bet EA will change to improve their product to get their customers back on side. And before anyone tries to put words in my mouth, I'm not advocating a total boycott of AKS or NGT, just saying that a selective one could be effective.

• Like x 10
    • Dislike x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
  13. Cisalpine88

Cisalpine88 Next Girls

Twitter:
    speranzom
    Adding another one from some days earlier, but which to me sounds always relevant to the discussions at hand.

---
    Lest the NGT issue is faded from memory

After it had spread rapidly like wildfire to become an issue of a national scale, as soon as the incident was originally brought to light, discussion about the physical assault case of NGT48's Yamaguchi Maho-san seems to be beginning to subside already, as news of the feats of tennis player Osaka Naomi and the national soccer team, as well as the group Arashi stopping their activities, come in.

Actually, to put it more precisely, as incited by the reports from a part of the mass media, what can even be perceived here is a certain trend, where everything is now being brushed off as just "the same old" mindless commotion from wotas, between attacks on specific members and bashing of the management.
    Not only that, but as of late, it has come to a point where abusive remarks directed at the victim herself, Yamaguchi-san, are even being written, in what resembles a victim shaming of a sexual kind. All of this only brings one to fear that the issue might go on to become one step more serious and murkier than it already is.

Speaking of news from the management, the theater shows are to be restarted by next February, kicking off with the Kenkyuusei stages, and the issue is to be clarified through a third party committee. But regrettably enough, the truth is that, from the standpoint of fans, one can't shake off the feeling that they are refusing to take the bull by the horns with that.

This being the case, in this column we'd like to return once again to the mindset of the origins and give an examination over the "love ban", which is regarded to be the main cause of everything. After all, with regards to today's incident, there is a hypothesis that Yamaguchi-san had denounced to the management about the existence of members keeping close associations with fans, and that said members, resenting this action, ended up inciting the perpetrators (although this is still strictly speaking a hypothesis).

While it is not yet known if this is the truth or not, the fact remains that when the management conducted an inquiry of their own, there were members who personally acknowledged to be consorting with fans, which means that one certain thing is that there exist a number of members who fail to observe such "love ban rule", at the very least.

Opinions about said "love ban rule" are polarized: while one part of human rights organizations deems that to be a violation of human rights themselves, there are also many comments from fans pointing that, since this is a popularity-based business, it represents an obligation (or otherwise, a question of self-responsibility).
    But how are things exactly, in the end?

For one thing, producer Akimoto Yasushi himself has told at times that there is a rule, while at times he said there is none, and so as a result of him wavering significantly in his stance, the gray zone only ended up getting wider. Regardless of that, what was originally declared back in the beginnings was that this was a question of "priority orders".

Back in the origins, when AKB just saw the light of the day as a platform toward the entertainment world, things started off from an unusually reasonable stance, that is "If you have a strong resolution to want to succeed in the entertainment world, then please put priority in lessons and theater shows over private matters, including romance".
    From there, while AKB was now in the process of being raised to become a widely popular group, soon enough this love ban then turned into a way of catering to fans, being warped into a direction where those who violated it would either be fired, or otherwise pilloried and free to be turned into sacrifical victims for Internet lynching.

From the perspective of members, those who see it as a question of priorities order are tying to maintain a moral conduct, out of their own sense of self-consciousness -- but for those who see it as a fan-service matter, there are also girls who have since switched to a mindset of "it's all fine as long as you don't get caught".

As if it weren't enough, nowadays even original members have started to reveal on television and magazines about how "back in the day I used to have a boyfriend", which is causing the situation to heavily shift in that direction. In order to stop this domino effect, rather than debating about NGT alone, wouldn't it be necessary for all the groups in their entirety to come together on a single common intention once again, instead?

So, why does the "love ban rule" exists for, again?
    (1) As around the early days, it was a way to put priorities in order, hoping one wouldn't lose sight of one's goals.
    (2) It is to prevent that one's job as an idol would be affected by negative influences.
    (3) It is to maintain safety by preventing contact with potential criminal groups and socially threatening individuals.

In particular, point 3 is an important and serious one: what is entrusted entirely to the self-consciousness and the level of aptitude of each member is the conundrum of being given the opportunity to get in direct contact with a sheer number of people, while at the same time being asked to keep an adequate distance with said individuals.

Even in the case of the NGT incident, word has it that the perpetrators were wotas with deep pockets who tended to spend hundreds of thousands of yen in a single handshake event session, and, with this being a system where popularity at handshake events directly determines one's own position and whether you are being pushed or neglected, members who find themselves in a dire situation end up relying on those people. Isn't it in a certain sense inevitable that, in doing so, it would give a chance for others to take advantage of said members?

We have said it multiple times, but AKB has turned from the "platform" it was in the beginning into a "popular idol group", and from that it evolved into "super idols" sweeping across the whole country and Asia at large -- yet the management is only growing large in size, and they haven't managed to make any progress in terms of quality to match that.

I, as a journalist, would like to see Akimoto Yasushi appear in public once again, right now, and let us hear his clearly-defined opinion on what he is intending to do about those aspects that have been left unsupervised. After realizing that at present time there's an increasing number of aspects which even Akimoto cannot personally do anything about, I'd like to hear from Akimoto himself what are his thoughts about it.

If it's hard for him to do it in the role of the person in charge, he can at least try and consider that in the role of one adult man. I do want to hear his own honest considerations.

---
    Source: https://www.zaikei.co.jp/article/20190129/491574.html

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Theworld

Theworld Kenkyuusei

Cracking down on assholes does sound very good. I mean which cashier or store manager doesn't want to ban that old lady giving them a hard time? Let's let management monitor these people on social media and ban all the assholes as they see fit.

The rest is supposition, but that is going in circles so no point in addressing them.

No one said accept it. Everyone knows the backstage is not all rainbows and unicorns with heavy politics and teenager egos constantly clashing. If they find it toxic or problematic they can leave.

Please define what "selective" means, because where is the incentive to change if they know they can just ride it out?

Protesting against one game in the portfolio of hundreds of IPs owned is not the same as protesting against the whole group itself. Since AKS is not a publicly traded company they have harder time raising capital or credit in the private market vs a company with billions of cash sitting on the balance sheet that can absorb losses. But since you like to liken it to the GAME industry, take a look at what happened to activision blizzard with their recent layoff because of slow down in business, but then again this can't possibly happen in any other industry?!

• Dislike Dislike x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

Just like “games”... Im a consumer and Ill continue to “shop around”. There’s a lot of good games/idols out there that doesn’t have these AAA “problems”. :^^;:

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Theworld

Theworld Kenkyuusei

I agree with you my friend. isn't it nice that in a free market you are able to allocate your dollars where you see fit based on what you like? There are plenty of other amazing groups that probably deserve more attention, but some choose to continue to stay in the swamp...i wonder who are the ones really stuck in the past?

that said i do have a problem when people try to use morality as a club against people on the other side, labeling them all as anachronistic old men who wants another mouth covering incident to happen again and feeders into status quo.

• Dislike x 3
    • Old x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  17. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

I usually don’t watch Idols or any other forms of “entertainment” on the “morality” factor of strangers.

But people I’ve given my respect to and can have a civil conversation face to face... I’m willing to listen.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    Ah but I didn't. While I don't agree with your viewpoint, I also think it's been fairly reasonable so far. But just because you disagree with those others on "your side" doesn't mean they aren't part of it, any more than e.g. Theworld isn't on the same "side" as I am. Much though we might wish otherwise...

edit: Really though I'm not sure why I've been going along with the "two sides" idea, as my original point in response to Dirkkun (lost in the edit and subsequent discussion) was that there are more than just two.

And it's an opinion I agree with. But I'm also well aware it isn't going away any time soon.

Even if these were the only things people wanted solved, they are not as easily addressed as you might like.

How do they "improve management" in a way that people will believe and accept? Especially if that incompetence (or even corruption) goes all the way to the top? (And given the last 5 years, we have no reason to believe it doesn't.)

How do they crack down on "yakkai wota"? Given some people's defintion that term could apply to just about all core wota, especially with a small regional group like NGT. Where, and how, do they draw the line? NGT depends on its core wota and the rest of 48G isn't much more independent, given management's chronic failure at appealing to the general public. How do you think a boycott by that general public will affect that dependence? Do you think it's going to have a positive effect? Really?

How is management supposed to "deal" with "bullying" between grown adult women? Or even between younger ones? Even Japanese schools can't get that right, and AKS has vastly less influence over idols' lives than a school administration does over its students. There are things they can do to mitigate it, like AKB's shuffles forcing members to widen their social groups (the opposite of what NGT's shuffle did), or way back in the beginning, management throwing 2nd and 1st gen together in the two Himawari stages to force them to work through their differences. NGT management can do a better job of encouraging good behaviour, but can they require it? I don't think so. Not the way e.g. HKT was able to in its infancy.

I'm not convinced that members (other than Rika) were actually "dating", so much as fraternizing with fans in ways that pushed the boundaries of the love ban, and which would still be a scandal to many if they got out. And in ways that many other 48G idols also engage in, e.g. private LINE communications. I also suspect NGT management was at least partly aware of this, and permitted it. Rika had a massive scandal and receive nil censure, what's a few meetups with your fanclub down at Jojoen when having a boyfriend sleep over is fine and dandy? And the reason management looked the other way wasn't (just?) money..

I do agree, and thought from the beginning, that a loosening of the "love ban" was one of if not the major cause of this incident. But that loosening was intentional, something that Aki-P and other AKS higher-ups have been trying to accomplish for years, seeking to slowly alter wota opinions about and resistance to members dating. When was the last time they took a firm stance against a member caught in a romance scandal? (Don't tell me Miki and Naanya, they were out after curfew.) Punishing members simply for dating would be a regression from that goal, so of course instead they are trying to protect them--even if it is too late; even if the love ban did serve a necessary and not-remotely-obsolete purpose.

But why were they doing this? Why abandon such a useful policy? Simple. Public pressure. The same kind of public pressure that is now demanding they fix NGT. If they bend to that pressure with the same lack of understanding as before, there's no reason to think the end result won't be just as bad. This is why I think it's good for them to take their time, and why I don't think a public response that forces them into a desperate reaction is beneficial. Of course there is no guarantee they are really trying to fix anything... but I think the choice is between letting them have the time needed to maybe fix it properly, or forcing them to fix it now only to guarantee the fix is bad.

I don't believe that last thing even happened, but if it did it's a very serious matter and that member should be removed.

Absolutely not. Imamura out of power is already a huge step in the right direction. Keep up a steady amount of pressure, but allow them to finish their investigation. In the meantime allow the members and group room to breathe. Don't send bomb threats to the theater and stopping spamming member SNS with death threats and hate messages everytime they try to speak. Keeping them silent isn't helping. Don't confuse the issues with (more) wild mass guessing. For fans, continue to support the members you think deserve support, whether that's just the Angelic Quartet, Team G, or all of NGT, because their life is still going on. I hope that this investigation comes up with a result that is "satisfactory", but it's also going to take at least 1.5 months, and I don't think it's wrong for them to resume business in the meantime, so long as appropriate precautions are taken.

If I had decision-making power, I would cooperate with the investigation and make sure it pursues the truth rather than just looking for a pleasing story.

Even before the investigation concludes I would ban the attackers and their immediate social circle from all NGT (ideally all 48G) events, unless there was proof they were not aware of or not involved in the attack or the stalking. If it was still possible I would pursue criminal or civil action against the two main perpetrators, and maybe against Inapooh if there is enough proof of his stalking activities. I'd also force Imamura to apologise publicly, but that's probably outside of anyone in NGT's power.

Then, depending on the results of the investigation (and going off what seems to be the case right now), I would not censure members who were connected with fans (in whatever manner). That they thought this was permissible was the fault of management. (cf. Mahohon's complaint that things were allowed in NGT that weren't elsewhere.) But I would restore the love ban, and make it clear that future violations would be punished. If any member knowingly leaked personal info to the attackers, I would give her some kind of behind the scenes punishment (e.g. pay cut, fine, reduced performances, suspension, not sure what tools exactly they have available.) But if any did so with the intent to cause Mahohon distress I would remove that member from the group. Foolishness comes with the territory, but malice doesn't belong in an idol group. (Aside from the last part, none of this would be visible to the public.)

As for Mahohon remaining in the group, she seems committed to one particular resolution, but if that's not the resolution management, the investigation team, and the rest of the members eventually settle on... Well, then what she does is kind of up to her, no? My ideal outcome would be a reconciliation between her and the rest of the members (excepting any who were directly involved in the attack), but I don't think she's interested. Her actions and words since the attack have been schismatic.

I was conflating people, and I apologise for that. Although you have been, erm, "reacting" in more ways than just posting, and that gave me the impression you were aligned with the others I mentioned.

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  19. Dirkkun

Dirkkun Kenkyuusei

I think a good start is getting people who will actually attempt to deal with problems instead of trying to sweep them under the rug. And maybe try not lie everytime they make an annoucement like the new management has been doing.

There are plenty of core wota in the boycott movement, not just general fans (and 48G antis). Imamura's preferential treatment of the Joe-kai was already grating on them and the way management reacted to the assault was the tipping point for a lot of them.

As far as the yakkai goes, as you said, Imamura not being there is going to be a big step. Even without going near the reselling allegations, he has an history of enabling the yakkai at the expanse of normal wota. And If a jackass has been banned in all the other theaters, maybe don't let them in yours? If you're having trouble and don't know how to deal, contacting the theater managers who are better at it for advice could help too.

The same way you deal with harassment in any workplace? If someone is disruptive to operations, you put sanctions on them. (And maybe make them watch a 4 hour video on how not to be an ass to others. :^O^:) AKS might needs some kind of HR department for dispute resolution, harassment complaints and well-being assessments, if members feel like their 'local' management is involved/not up to par.

You do know there's more evidence of Gatanee and Ayakani going out with those guys (and by going I don't mean having fan meetings in a restaurant) than Nakai having her boy-toy sleep over, right? :^^;:

I'm not sure that the kind of unstable people who make bomb and death threats are likely to be swayed by a forum post, but all good etiquette for the situation. :^^;:

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  20. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    Where are they supposed to get these people from? Europe perhaps [hehe]? And what have they been lying about, exactly? That Mahohon wanted performances to resume? They haven't been very forthcoming with information, but besides that disagreement between Mahohon and Maiko(?) I don't recall anything. I'm not sure I'd call that a lie either, we have no idea what Mahohon actually told her or how that conversation went, although it certainly isn't doing Maiko any favours.

Really? From what I've seen NGT's core wota are more worried than they are involved in the boycott. Other than the four's wota of course. All the "TOs" and all the fan communities are still in operation, the Orange Brigade is still going strong. For sure there's Inapooh antis (yes, they exist, else we wouldn't have months-old screencaps of his Twitter mixed in with new ones) in the boycott movement. I think you're mistaking their motives, however, based on threads before the incident. There are antis of the suspect members, who were spamming hate for them long before this incident came to light, and continue to do so just adding new material to the old. There are general NGT antis, still sore over Request Hour and SSK who see in this case both justification for their hate and an opportunity for vengeance. And for sure there's other shitposters on 2ch and new sock puppet Twitter accounts run by people from the aforementioned categories. How many actual core wota beyond that are boycotting, as opposed to either supporting their oshimen as before or just moving on?

I'm not sure about the other members of "Joe-kai", but
    Most of Inapooh's bans were lifted some time ago.

Yeah, see, this is exactly the problem... That doesn't exist in Japan. There is no cultural framework for it, and there is no legal requirement for it either. There is a growing recognition that "power harassment" is a problem in the Japanese workplace and Japanese culture, and you may see it addressed in the media (dorama, etc.), but still very little progress has been made in solving it. The government recently made some half-hearted attempts to legislate against it, but mostly only succeeded in acknowledging it might be a problem. On the other side 3 months later this still doesn't have the signatures it asked for. It would be great if NGT management could lead the way instead of being part of the problem, but people from outside Japan who are shocked that this could happen are looking at it from the perspective of their own cultures, and fail to recognise how difficult what they are asking really is. They are demanding a fairly inept and mediocre management team to become, overnight, paragons of righteousness and justice. I'm not going to hold my breath.

So yes, the bullying is a systemic problem. But it is not systemic within NGT48, or within 48G, or even within the idol industry. It is systemic within Japan, and it is not going get solved in the next decade let alone the next 2 months.

Though on the topic of a bullying in the workplace video, maybe one thing NGT48 could do to begin redeeming itself is create such a video on bullying and power harassment. Oh wait they already did. :^^;:

Uhm, no? There's a lot of red string but little if anything in the way of actual evidence.

Disclaimer: I've always disliked Gatanee so I haven't spent any time or effort investigating the rumours about her.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1