1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

NGT48 Assault Case

Discussion in 'General NGT48 Discussion' started by Cisalpine88, Jan 9, 2019.

1. gish0046

gish0046 Upcoming Girls

One thing to keep in mind is that in 2016 a Japanese judge declared that it was not legal for management companies to prevent an idol from having a relationship.

https://soranews24.com/2016/01/19/j...nger-who-violated-contracts-no-dating-clause/

So people who are saying that management should punish idols who have relationships, they can't really do that anymore. If management companies prevent an idol from having a relationship, they risk being sued by that idol (and will probably lose).

The issue here is that Maho was attacked. Not that some idols were in relationships.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. primermicarrucha

primermicarrucha Future Girls

but if part of the reason she was attacked was because she took issue with other members in her group trading favors (in other words, arguably not just an innocent romantic relationship) with the would-be attackers, and to a further extent, management ignoring their behavior because it was also to their benefit, it's pretty easy to see how she could become a target for black idols and their "boyfriends" who think they are untouchable.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

Wrong. Clearly the issue of idols being in relationships is an issue, just look at the cases of Hirajima, Yonezawa, Minegishi, Suto Ririka and others. And it was clearly an issue in this case, some idols were "consorting" with fans and being rewarded with hs sales and SSK votes and then got favorable treatment from management. Maho had an issue with this, when she protested about it to management trouble ensued. The assault was the end result of certain members consorting with yakkai wota.

Also the above case you cited can be countered with https://japantoday.com/category/ent...ny-y650000-after-going-to-hotel-with-male-fan

These cases are decided on the particular merits of the case, neither is precedent setting so just because a judge ruled one way in 2016 doesn't mean that other judges are bound to follow that decision. Both cases involved the companies looking for compensation from the idols, not just dismissal so there's no guarantee that Tano et al would win. There are other grounds for dismissal that could be argued too like bringing the company into disrepute.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gish0046

gish0046 Upcoming Girls

Legally speaking, management was in the right to ignore their behavior.

However, Maho is perfectly in her legal right to say that what the other girls were doing was wrong and/or disagree with it. Just because management isn't legally allowed to prevent an idol from having a relationship, that does not mean its OK for idols to trade sex for SSK votes, and it also is not okay that Maho was assaulted.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. primermicarrucha

primermicarrucha Future Girls

i think it really depends on how the whole thing was established and who was scratching whose back. i wouldn't be surprised if their ex-manager hooked them up with these guys in the first place.

to clarify what i mean a little: aks/management could be protecting the attackers and the black idols who in turn protect aks/mgmt from exposing whatever scandalous arrangement they could've had with each other. even if (excepting the attack and thereafter covering it up) everything else they did wasn't strictly speaking illegal, it would likely be a lot worse if it came out than the backlash they've already gotten from playing dumb and waiting for maho to stop being a thorn in their side.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. eko p

eko p Kenkyuusei

You've taken one case and treat it like it's a written law [hehe]
    That's not how it supposed to work

For the case itself, it's clearly the management got greedy and choosen wrong strategy
    Judges are merely human and that's why we can continue to higher court if we are not satisfied with the result, one judge ruling is not law
    The important thing is the company make their rules very clear in their contract

No dating rule are like any other rules that many company have, some have no dating rule between co-workers, some position need non-married person as requirement, some work need you to work at night, some work require you to risk your life for others etc

Now for the case itself, the judge said he failed to see deliberate aim to cause damage to the company, maybe they are just focussing themselves to seek compensation
    If I'm the management lawyer, first I'll make my case by proofing that she have lied continously during half year she's been dating while 100% know that her act is forbidden in her contract which she signed
    I can bring up various occasion where she's avoiding her work suspiciously and if there are occasion in the past where she failed to do her work which cost the company money, that would be better
    Tie them to her lies and then moving to lies proof intent, she know that her act can be costly and yet she's keep doing it and keep lying, which latter lead to her sudden quit and messed up their group already scheduled concert
    If the judge can't see her intent in her first lie or her second lie or her third lie or her fourth lie, with so much lie during half year she's been dating presented in court, it just the matter of time when the judge will inevitably see her intent

Again, one judge ruling is not law!!!

*not native English speaker

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    NMB has never been strong in SSK. In their first year, when the top 2 received 250k votes between them, Sayanee had less than 9k and no other NMB ranked. That pattern continued through the years, and Sayanee only made it as high as she did because she gained recognition outside of NMB. SSK just isn't where NMB fans spend their money. Also did Milky even scandal with fans? I thought it was industry people, but then I never really paid much attention.

How could these...? Jurina's aggressive push is one of the reasons she did so poorly lol. It alienated existing fans. But it's not just that. SKE was the first sister group, and Jurina was competing against the OG Kami 7 in the height of their ascendancy. There weren't as many ways to vote, and SKE didn't have as strong a fanbase nor exhibit the kind of desperate rivalry that characterises their behaviour in the last few elections. They also weren't fighting against almost a half-dozen sister groups and a stagnant mothership to establish their own identity. Yes fewer votes were needed to enter senbatsu, but the competition was ramping up higher and higher every year. In her second year, and the second SSK ever, Jurina managed 4 times the previous year's winner, but that was only enough for 10th. How was her voting committee, if she even had one, supposed to know what they needed to aim for? Compare that to the present, where the votes required to enter Kami 7, or even just Senbatsu, have been decreasing since 2015. Both times she made Kami 7, Ogiyuka did so with fewer votes than the same rank had the previous year.

Meanwhile competition in the lower ranks is getting harder, and half a decade of failed pushes and AKS leaving girls to languish or fend for themselves makes fans feel even more pressure to make their girl stand out, find any way to get her noticed. In such an atmosphere, with precedent like Sasshi's 240k votes, bulk fanclub memberships up for trade/sale, and voting techniques/strategies refined over 9 years of SSK, it really was only a matter of time before someone did what Ogiyuka's オレンジ団 and the other NGT voting committees did.

But no, clearly the only explanation is sex for votes.

• Disagree x 10
    • Agree x 5
    • Dislike x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Old x 1
  8. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    Who said it has to be sex, though? There are plenty of things one as a manager can offer a fan to support a member over others to drive on their own narrative and most of them don't need to include sex. I'd imagine most of them would be less inclined to be mean to Mahohon if they felt like they were being used in some way or another. But these girls wouldn't really think they are doing anything wrong by inviting outsiders to their living spaces, would they? They genuinely might think that they are not doing anything wrong, and so anyone with a different set of morals shedding light to their transgressions would seem like an enemy, regardless of if they are right or wrong, and will perceive the call-out as a transgression by itself.

That being said, let's not forget that the dating on its own is legally and morally not a bad thing, and could be shed from the discourse altogether. I can support anything that a person can do to search for their own happiness as long as they are not stomping over others willingly. The central issue has always been that Mahohon's safety was compromised without her giving any consent to the men who approached her, and as a result she was punished for bringing it to public light. To management, and to other girls who likely enabled it, whether intentionally or unintentionally, this is a transgression on its own, which fuels the animosity. If it was unintentional, doubling down on not having done anything wrong instead of trying to repent for what they did is bad enough as it is, if it was intentional... we can agree that's pure evil.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

it's an interesting theory but I think they were quite aware what they were doing was wrong. Whether it was for SSK votes, presents, attention or just shits'n'giggles they were cogniscent that meeting fans in their apartments was wrong thus their defensiveness and callous attitude towards Maho.

I think the only way they'd genuinely think they weren't doing wrong is if they were amoral.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    You're right, and we don't even know if they are even trying to think about what they are doing. For all we know they could be aware but are pretending to not know. You can easily throw someone under the bus and feel bad about it but never express it. Maybe I brought up a pointless topic in the end, but it's interesting to think that people doing bad things might believe they are in the right as long as things go along nicely for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tuxedo_gin

tuxedo_gin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    onishimomoka
    They cannot punish an idol merely for dating, but they can punish them for getting caught and negatively impacting the group's image. They can also punish idols for dating fans because while saying they can't date at all is clearly an overreach, the company is well within their rights to have a policy that prevents inappropriate relationships with customers/clients.

Also, keep in my that that court case is only for adults. Things are lot more complicated when dealing with minors, especially when the minors are living away from home in the care of the company. Obviously not an issue in this situation but it is something to keep in mind.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. Falx1984

Falx1984 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    fukagawamai
    You wrote the same nonsense on that other news blog.

Even back then, a contract like that would have been a legal landmine, which is why it is almost certain that when Akimoto said it was never in the contract he was telling the truth. The man is not stupid and unable to see how trends are going.

And as was painfully explained to you over there, the rules in business indicate relationships between superiors and juniors on the same department are not allowed in order to stop sexual harassment and if brought to HR's attention by the people involved they are not allowed to be fired or punished but one of them will be transferred to another department at the same pay rate.

No job can require a person to be single. That is discrimination.

Working at night? So what does that have to do with anything?

Risking your life for others? How unrelated can you get?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. sambelteri12

sambelteri12 Next Girls

But well.. it's happen. In my country, lot of company put that on their contract. At least for few of their first year. You dissagree, you don't need to sign the contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. mickwserr

mickwserr Kenkyuusei

i remember when Akimoto said that, but i also remember Sasshi, Shiichan and Yukirin said the love ban exist. Sasshi said on a tv show they had to sign a paper concerning the love ban rule, that prohibit "heterosexual and homosexual relationships". Shiichan said if you broke the rule you will be punished. Maho even liked a Yukirin article on twitter in December, after the assault happened, where she again explain the love ban exist.
    ofc other members commented on it and all of them said the ban was in the contract. Aki-P only gives elusive answers to this kind of topics bc he knows he's in the wrong and wants to protect himself.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. sambelteri12

sambelteri12 Next Girls

In some case, yes, no dating co-workers is exist. But most of it's just they are looking for fresh graduate (age max 25) and single.

16. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Okay, so on one hand I do agree that the subject of idols dating does relate to the subject matter. However, some of you are taking the subject on a wildly off-topic tangent. So be careful.

I will say this however...

Too often I see this subject discussed as a matter of legality. However, is the idea of idols dating fans a good practice? I would argue that it is not, for a myriad of reasons. Moreover, it is in the best interests of idols to keep their personal relationships private for their career's sake.

In the case of NGT48, the matter was further complicated by the fact they were in a space technically shared by other members, forcing those members into a situation where their possible commitments to their own idol/fan professional separation were at risk. Moreover, they ultimately created a fan hierarchy, where certain fans were given "preferential treatment" over others. To me this goes against everything an idol is supposed to be. The fact that these members still haven't figured this out is part of the reason why people are still pissed off. So for those of you that say that the issue is solely about the assault, and AKS's handling of the situation. I disagree. It is also about how far so many of these members have strayed from what it means to be an idol. Until they figure that out, they are not idols to me.

But I am not here to fall into the usual RKJ rabbit hole, been there, done that on this forum many times before.

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  17. DavidSorvino

DavidSorvino Kenkyuusei

I sort of expected this thread (and the case itself) to die a bit, after the graduation. But, oh boy, whether it’s members or staff, they sure have been great at keeping it alive.

That Twitter account of the manager is sure to keep the disgust directed at AKS for the foreseeable future. It is actually a good thing; the more they tweet, the easier it will be to detect lies and inconsistencies.

No, but as we have learned, this group is perfectly set up for it.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 11
  18. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    An apology for a misattribution.

"The official Twitter commentary, "Sandejapon broadcasted on May 26th, reported the NGT 48's SNS turmoil," said former member Maho Yamaguchi's comment "3 for posting as it was posted on Instagram on the 25th. People do not want to have graduated. Please consider the meaning. "Was not Mr. Yamaguchi's post. I apologize and correct it. "

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainment/news/2019/05/27/kiji/20190527s00041000178000c.html

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

I would love this, imagine the songs Akimoto would write for them! Warukii would be nothing for these girls. But seriously speaking, the fact that Maho was attacked and hurt won't let this happen ever, not to mention that if the bad eggs keep at their same deeds, serious fans will dismiss the group completely and even boycott it.

I can't believe I've been a fan of 48G for so long and never realized that something this terrible could be happening behind the scenes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. junjou19

junjou19 Member

what Maho did was absolutely not illegal and the word "threaten" is waaay too much of a stretch. All she did was try to uphold the rules. The rules say no dating, they were breaking the rules, she tried to report them for breaking the rules. Whether or not you think the rules make sense, they exist for a reason, and reporting coworkers who are breaking rules is absolutely the right thing to do from a business standpoint. You wanna talk about a management standpoint? Any decent manager who cares about their company will want their employees to follow the rules.

get outta here with this "everyone was equally wrong uwu" bs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1