1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Kakizaki Memi (Memitan) / 1st Generation

Discussion in 'Hinatazaka46 Graduated Members' started by ForrestFuller, May 11, 2016.

1. Rev4

Rev4 Member

I have thought about the same thing on her reaction when Hinatazaka was announced. It was more than a shock for her. When they announced Hinabingo she didn't look excited. Everyone else were in joy with their reaction.

Being separated from Neru and Techi was apparently too much for her. When she heard about Neru's graduation in March and other stuff going on in her private life with friends want to study at university she had to consider her future and it took her a while to decide what she wanted to focus on. It sounds similar to Neru's decision and even Zuumin about health. This announcement hit me as hard as last year when Zuumin announced her grad. It's a lot to take in now even if I'm very certain Hiyotan will come back after her hiatus. Memi felt it was time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Here's my own translation of Memi's blog post announcing her graduation.

I was prepared for this, but I'm in mourning. Memi is orders of magnitude more interesting to me as a personality and as a performer than any other idol, at least the ones I know, who are mainly in Keyaki and Hinata. The only others that come anywhere close are Techi and Neru, in their very different ways. I agree completely with @sukki's post above that she has all the talents. No-one in Keyaki or Hinata could have done either the "ghost burikko" thing or "Memicho," at least not with the same subtlety and originality. And Memi has been outstanding singing and acting on stage.

I also agree with @radiohifi that she never quite fit with either Hiragana or Hinata, and with @keyak that in particular she didn't mesh with the Hinata direction. As for university, she always claims to be an average student, but also says she likes math.

I hope, for my own sake, that she decides to come back to entertainment as an artist who can sing, dance and do great comedy. Memi is scheduled to graduate 11 August. It intrigues me that Neru is scheduled to graduate July 14. I wonder if there is something they can participate in together.

EDIT: The last handshake for the 2nd single is 11 August, and Memi is said to be staying for the end of 2nd single activities, but apparently the exact date is not yet set.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    No matter how many times others were writing it, I never felt like graduation was a real possibility. Surely something else was going on, something that would keep her away for a while; nothing more.

I lived Memi on this forum first and foremost, discovering her in Re:Mind, searching for her in every Hiragana song, in every shared picture, in my 2 ships.. so it feels this is the only place where I can really say my goodbye... I didn't anticipate that reading @ukifune post above would make it more real; more hard.

I never really understood people who saw their Oshi graduate and couldn't follow the group anymore. I sensed the lost, but never really understood.
    I have three Oshi, one for each Sakamichi group, each one chosen for very different reasons- But I know that if Hori should leave, I would keep an eye on Nogizaka anyway, and if Techi would graduate, that wouldn't decrease my love for Keyaki.

Memi is different, but she was different since the start and her leaving hurts me where I didn't expect, with an intensity that I could never anitcipate; and make all the reasons I gave myself to keep following Hinata, fall.

Someday maybe, when Kage will return or when my interest in Miho and Tomita will grow... but I feel both Memi and I never really liked the direction chosen, so, who knows?
    Right now all I can do is to say goodbye to my perfect idol, so similar to the ones I saw from afar even when I had no idea 48 existed and so different from what people expect an idol be, and hope everything Memi dreams from now on will become reality someday.

Until the day I can support you again, take care.

• Like Like x 3
  4. patapataful

patapataful Upcoming Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Twitter:
    patapataful
    Huge loss for Hinata:( Wish her all the best for her future and maybe we see her again<3<3<3

5. gish0046

gish0046 Upcoming Girls

Really sad about this. I've been an idol fan since about early '14 and while I've had several "oshis", none of them meant as much to me as Memi does. She is truly my kami-oshi. Its really disappointing it came to this. This is difficult and its going to take some time to really process. But if this is what she really wants to them I'm happy for her. She mentioned mental health and physical health and if graduating is what she needs to do then its understandable. And of course I wish her the best in her future endeavors, whether it be school, acting, both (acting school?), or anything else. I hope she will be on social media, such as instagram, but based on her output for blogs and mobame I don't really see that happening.

This is a big loss for Hinata. Memi was never the face of the group (even when she centered early Hiragana songs, Neru was the face of the group at that time), but I think people underestimate her popularity and how important she was to the group, and how much her fans cared about her. Its no coincidence her 5ch thread is by far the most active of all the Hinata members. Even here, her thread has over 3 times as many pages as the next highest (38 vs. Kyonko's 12).

As far as why she quit, I think it goes back to before the name change. I think Memi was comfortable with Hiragana's position within Keyaki. I think she actually preferred being in a quasi-unders group. It allowed her to have what was basically an amazing part-time job, she got to be in a group with people she idolized, she got opportunities she would have never had (stage plays, etc.), she had fans, she got to be on stage, she got to grow as a person and have an amazing one-of-a-kind experience. But at the same time the status of Hiragana as back-up group allowed her to still have time for school and to live a relatively normal life, and allow her to leave her future open in terms of college, etc. But Hiragana's change from back-up group to full group meant going from part-time to full time. I base this not just on her reaction to the news that Hiragana was changing to Hinata, but based on her reaction on HiraOshi when Kumi said she wanted Hiragana to have their own single. She had a similarly anguished reaction, even before any notion of a name change or a change in style. And I think this is because she knew what this would mean and I don't believe she was ready to make being an idol her full-time career.

As much as I'm happy for her, its still a painful loss. I'm a Hinata/Hiragana fan and have been since the beginning, but Memi was so important for Hinata, and how I feel about the group as a whole, that there's now an emptiness when I think of Hinata that will be difficult to fill.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  6. otabe

otabe Member

Oshimen:
    soranyan
    sad that my worst fears were realized. Memi was one of my first favorite hiragana members. I think the name change was the nail in the coffin.. I think I can formulate how I feel better with time but for now, all I can do is cheer for her remaining time

Wish the best for her future endeavors :flower:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Xiphyas

Xiphyas Next Girls

Oshimen:
    みなさん 美玖をお寿司かない
    Last night on my regular blogs reading, I was surprised with Memi-chan entry. Well, not at all.

It hurts a lot because I always says "is hard to focus in just one girl in Hinatazaka/Hiragana". It hurts because Memi-chan graduation is a great lose to the group. It hurts because she's an angel.

The original ace/center is leaving us thinking in her own path and future. And even if we can´t acept it, we need to respect her decision. I'm really sad because this year is still hurting me, first with my beloved Neru-chan graduation and second, one of my favorites in Hinatazaka also graduates. Is hard to assimilate.

I'm not a hardcore fan of her, but believe me when I say I can understand Memi-chan fans pain. I really love all Hinatazaka members, so it's difficult to me, to express all my feelings with this sad news.

I'm fortunate to have been on her HS line many times. And she always was so positive and cute. I will keep and value those good memories.

I wish her the best and I know she will have a good live because she is a fighter with a great will.

Oh dear Memi-chan, we will miss you a lot.

Please be happy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. Jsprite

Jsprite Future Girls

Manaka, Neru, now Memi. Sakamichi bleeds red again. Personally and aside from Neru, Memi was THE face of Hinatazaka. Unique looks and a unique personality. Ahhh... just like sakura petals, the life of an idol is just as ephemeral. But it hurts deep inside. Good luck, Memi-chan! :(

• Like Like x 1
  9. AlterEvolver

AlterEvolver Kenkyuusei

I think deep down Memi never against for debut, its true is hard for her to accept name change. But im sure she is not selfish girl who just quit for reason like that. We can see her determination in hit prayer.
    Regardless the speculation, I prefer to trust what she said in blog unable to balance mental and physical.
    As memi oshi I already prepare my heart since her cryptic mobame last month and still support the group, they need it.

• Agree Agree x 8
  10. amimaru

amimaru Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    koikeminami
    handshake trauma, organized stalker ojisans... welp I'm not surprise.

11. biboloxo

biboloxo Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    • Winner Winner x 9
    • Old Old x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    Before your post start a discussion about how much Memi fit in Hinata and all that jazz, just 2 questions:
    Have you ever even posted on this thread before? (spoiler: No) But you feel the absolute uncontrollable need to post her reaction here, now?

Man, leave us mourn her graduation and find that bit of relief in past happy times. There will be time to analyze and recriminate and wondering "what if" later. Right now let us have our time to say goodbye

• Winner Winner x 4
  13. biboloxo

biboloxo Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase

The F? I didn't even say anything?!? Since when this forum has turned into a place where you either praise a specific idol or get crucified for posting anything else?

I mean, I know that Hirate's fans aren't the same with others, but still, you guys just evolve into a higher species...

• Dislike Dislike x 11
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. keyak

keyak Upcoming Girls

Erm, aren’t you talking to a Memi fan who also happens to be a Techi fan? A bit rude for you to generalize an idol’s entire fandom here, especially since I rarely see Techi stans being outspoken here outside of her personal thread.

However, I don’t think your original post warrants criticism. The video of her reaction has been posted here before and shows potential insight as to why Memi is graduating. I don’t see anyone criticizing her for her reaction or anything, it just means that the news had a big impact on her (can almost see her cry towards the end - out of sadness/disbelief?). I realize fans need time to grieve, but I think it’s fine to say goodbye to Memi while also discussing the reasons for her departure, as long as we’re not making rash/negative assumptions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Jsprite

Jsprite Future Girls

Happy Aura no more...

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  16. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    Everything has the right time under the sun. I would never even thought about going on Nanase thread the day after she announced graduation to post something about the moment that may or not may had lead us there of which every fan of her is aware of, starting a discourse I've never been part of and I won't be part of in the future.
    Why would I?
    Perhaps my mistake is to expect others give the same kind of respect.
    My bad.

Also, like @keyak said, please don't hold keyaki, Techi, Hori or Memi's fans accountable for what I post. Thanks.
    Like usual, I'll end it here. My DM are constantly open everywhere anyway

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Squeeeps

Squeeeps Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Kanemura Miku
    Imma just say I didn't see this graduation at all from a mile way because I wasn't really paying attention, I honestly thought she safely had 5 more years in Hinatazaka. Dayum I can't believe that there's finally a hina grad.

18. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Of course, I'm still processing all this, and trying to figure out what happened. I find myself agreeing with just about everything @gish0046 says above. I also noted in Manafi's blog today this statement: "With so much time passing, and the group's atmosphere changing, graduation becomes something normal." I think that Memi felt out of place in the group as it has become, not just because of more work, but also because her Hiragana home was gone and they were living in a new place, with a new atmosphere that I would describe as "cheerful" rather than "happy": i.e., surface happiness maintained, out where people can easily see it. I don't think she dislikes the 2gens -- Suzuka and Miho appear to be her friends -- but the overall atmosphere may have been a strain. I think the new atmosphere is easier for other 1gens than for the quiet and emotionally sensitive Memi. That emotional sensitivity helped her to do her quick comic riffs on Miho's ghost story: Memi felt the words as they were spoken and expressed their emotions immediately.

I would also not discount the idea that Memi may have discovered management was going in a direction away from her, that she had little chance of returning to centre, and decided that the time had come for a new challenge. If Nao was given her movie role before the decision, then I think that would have been enough to tell Memi she was not even going to get the thing she could expect to be getting, and had lost her position in the group. If they didn't give that role until after they knew Memi was going, then what a waste. I expect Nao will do a good job, but Memi has enormous acting possibilities, if she keeps improving.

It was hard reading anti-Memi posts on 5ch over the past month or so, but I actually agreed with the posts that said Hinata would not suffer by losing her. I think the group has such talent and drive that it will overcome even this, and Memi was already being de-emphasized, it seems to me. I think her style is not this group's style, and although her presence makes the group richer aesthetically, it may not do much for some of the traditional idol fans at whom the group is aimed. I myself may or may not find myself staying around, but I think the group will prosper.

It's nice that @AlterEvolver does not think Memi is selfish. Personally, I do think she's a bit selfish. And it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, it makes her more interesting, and less fake. The fake smiles and always saying the right thing are something that depresses me about idols. I prefer difficult and original characters like Memi, Neru and Techi. But in this case, I see no selfishness, just realism and a reasonable choice. I've seen posts on 5ch criticizing Memi for abandoning the group, but I class those with the posts not caring about Memi but just wanting a photobook before she goes: fan selfishness. Some idol fans seem to see idols as slaves who should do everything for the fans and nothing for themselves. That's why, despite my own disappointment, I'm a bit glad to see Memi get out of the entertainment world, with its false fronts and hidden darkness. Manafi's post expects Memi to become a normal person, as opposed to an entertainer. This makes it more likely she will not be quickly reentering the entertainment world -- unfortunately for us, maybe fortunately for her.

Personally, I was not offended by @biboloxo's post. I hadn't seen that particular clip before, and Memi is beautiful in her confusion. That doesn't mean I agree with @biboloxo being gratuitously insulting toward Techi fans in his next post. This is his main fault in my eyes: the anti-Techi cultist who accuses her fans of being a cult. But the clip was just one post, and I took it fairly on its own. However, maybe I've already gotten too used to this possibility to be as bothered as anyone who was surprised. In the clip, Memi was seeing what felt to her like the destruction of her home and was quite reasonably upset and confused.

I do want to add that Memi was not the only one who seemed sad. It even took Nao-chan a moment to look around and decide how to react. And among the other members not on stage, there were several weeping, including Miho, who later showed a sad face and solicitude for Memi at the end of the Hiragana part of the Debut Countdown concert.

Japanese posters are asking for a graduation concert of some kind. Kumi said at the handshake event on Saturday: "Regarding Kakizaki Memi, I would like to respect Memi's thought on this. There's no definite date for her graduation yet, so I hope we, and along with everyone, can make the best memories out of this, as members of Hinatazaka46, until the very end." (tr. theblueslope)

By the way, Memi's father has been in Tokyo the past few days, going to galleries and talks and dealing with the release of his major art book (Facebook, Twitter). Although I don't know where Memi is, I have no reason to believe she has left Tokyo, where her school must be.

Blog translations on twitter by theblueslope:
    Manafi blog
    Suzuka blog
    Kyouko blog
    Read that timeline also for quotes (through tears) from Saturday's handshake event.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. biboloxo

biboloxo Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    I mean, seriously, even if you want to bash someone, you have to have some interest in that person at first (which is I have none - no offense though). The reason why I had that clip was b/c I checked a Nogi’s blog in that day (which is also my daily task) and I saw a topic with the “graduation” word on the title with tons of comment so I clicked it, out of curiously.

http://nogizaka-46bunno1.blog.jp/archives/79451932.html

And for me, please don’t worry, after this post, I will never post anything again in both Hira’s section (cause I have no interest in them) and Keya (cause I stop caring about them - which is why I have been stopped posting anything in their threads for the past 2 months).

• Old Old x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. gish0046

gish0046 Upcoming Girls

Thank you for bringing some comedy relief to this thread during this dark time

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1