1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Single Sakurazaka 5th Single [Sakuratsuki] (2023/02/15)

Discussion in 'Sakurazaka46 News & Releases' started by minaeshi, Dec 9, 2022.

1. miwa

miwa Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Mirei
    I think Rena did a great job. But then again maybe I'm just blinded by how beautiful she is lol, honestly she's one of the prettiest Sakamichi members right now. But yeah, the soft, romantic tone suits her. The beige dresses are ugly though. The blue, ballet inspired look is beautiful, hopefully they perform in those.

Hopefully we get CD details soon.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. blabla123

blabla123 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Ozeki Rika
    I also really like this song, the music, the lyrics are all very beautiful. Rena captured the emotions of the song very well, i also liked the choreo especially the part where they form the saku tree.

I am mainly looking forward to the live perfomances, so we get to see more choreo, cause from what i saw so far i really liked it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Philosophy Senpai

Philosophy Senpai Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    Let me clear some things now after some more listenings and your comments:

First of all @welp . There ARE strong melodies in all Sakamichi repertoire, and melodies that are touching to the point of bringing tears in the eyes, so I have to disagree with you here. Think about Kimi no na wa kibou, Kikakke, Nandome no aozora ka, Samidare yo, Boku no dilenma and - yes - even Kuroi Hitsuji. Also when I say "rap" I mean lyrics sung like a prose, rapidly, not ... well... rap... And finally I refer to Botticelli's "La primavera" for the overal mood setting and lightning but, yes, costumes DO ACTUALLY look like those on the painting...

Then @miwa for God's sake I would never say that Nogizaka = bland. I love Nogizaka and many of their songs. I was just referring to the mood which is more mellow, lyric, more delicate, romantic and girly. And many times I have said that for this reason I prefer Keyaki songs and the most dynamic of the Sakurazaka repertoire as well. This specific song falls in the mellow category which is not exactly my cup of tea (don't forget that I exceptionally listen to J-pop, for which is only Sakamichi for me. I listen to prog metal, jazz and classical - epochs up to Bach and from Bruckner/Mahler onwards - as my main preferences).
    And of course you are 100% right in that we cannot have the girls doing all the time maniac songs like Masatsukeisu and Nagaredama. It would be too exhaustive for them, so to that direction, songs like Sakurazuki are absolutely required.

As for the lyrics I seldom pay attention to lyrics in J-pop in general (except on occasions where the song intrigued me too much like Kuroi Hitsuji and Kimi no na wa Kibou to name a few), so I wouldn't dare to comment on that.

After some more listenings, the visual and ambience of the MV did warmed me some more but for the song... unfortunately my indifference remains... It's, after all, my personal taste and has nothing to do with my love and respect to the group and it's creators.

And of course, Renaa is a true queen in this MV and deserves the trust towards her by offering her this opportunity.

In any case a success in sales and buzz about our favorite group will give me happiness no matter of the single and its appeal to me...

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    I think is a good thing that we are not all the same and don't like the same stuff or expect the same stuff... that would be boring af and it would hardly let us see different perspectives.

Also I doubt someone here is against Nogi or consider their songs bland, there're tons of Nogi songs I'd sell my soul for (and some Hinata too), but in my opinion Sakura still need to make THE Sakura song and it wouldn't come if we keep having stuff that make people think about other groups.

I'm on my second MV-watch right now and I have to say some looks between members are really good and the moment members put their hands in front of Rena's eyes is truly interesting.
    I agree about Rena being perfect under the spotlight but my favorite part is still Rena and Pon mirroring each other, that scene is incredibly powerfull for me. I would have appreciated it even if they went on a little longer.

@welp good question about the releasing period... perhaps this year Sakura will bloom fully and schedule will be tighter? One can hope.
    About the costumes, honestly, I'm ashamed to admit that if Phil had not mentioned La primavera del Botticelli I wouldn't have thought of it. But he may be right... if there's something that positively surpise me every single MV is the care with which costumes are always made. It's amazing and some Sakamichi and 48 costumes are like artworks.
    Quite an ispiration for artists to be honest.

Since I had some time today I rewatched the first SokuSaku episode, when they announced the formation of 1st single.... the girls have grown up a lot since then, thinking about is quite touching and now we'll have our 3rd gen... I wish the best for their first contact - sort of - with buddies and of course, the best for this single too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. miwa

miwa Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Mirei
  6. ric_cr

ric_cr Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Uemu - Kyoko - Aruno oshi
    The rap parts are justified with the lyrics, when rena sees yuipon and miichan in the mirror the lyrics say: 2:33 "Are you trying to play it cool?" The other me is flabbergasted, but", 2:37 "when I remember you I want to at least think our love was beautiful" , 2:41 "and even if it will only be an ego trip I want to pat myself on the back for letting you go". We see that there is a fight or anger or it has already happened between the couple that is spoken in the lyrics, I think the only way to express that anger was with a rap, which is generally used as an expressive way when fights happen. In my opinion, that rap part fits well with the development of the lyrics.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Philosophy Senpai

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    @miwa Oh sorry, sorry Gomennasai... It was intended to be a reply to @minaeshi

(@minaeshi please see my post right above this one)

I always get confused specifically between you two... LOL it was only natural for this to happen once!

8. minaeshi

minaeshi Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    Twitter:
    minaeshit
    Ehh i think miwa is a lot cooler than me lol

While my comment wasn't directly aimed at you alone, it was the post that inclined me to post an alternative viewpoint. Seeing five negative leaning posts in a row saying the same thing of "it's nogi-like" "it's bland" "there's no punch" "sakurazaka deserves more (than an enjoyable enough song)" etc etc is bound to get me frustrated lol. Mainly because I absolutely adored keyaki but I also understand that with the rebrand, any little thing that the group does that isn't similar to keyaki's style receives the critique like the ones I mentioned above. Even though keyaki also had many cute, sweet, and slower songs, the cool, darker ones are always noted and respected. We see the same thing with Sakurazaka. Nagaradema and Ban are beloved but Samidare Yo gets so much flack even though the song and mv are incredibly stunning and imo the most 'Sakurazaka' song yet. I just wish the slower, more calm songs were respected just as much. I also wish for Sakurazaka (and Hinatazaka) to be able to make "nogi-like" songs and not have to always stick to the "cool" and "happy" style of songs in fear of being called bland. It's not fair to any of the groups.

One thing I understand as a fan is that we're quick to critique the things we love the most (i do it often too), and that's fine so long as we don't let the consistent critiques become a negative mindset that ruins the enjoyment of that thing (in this case sakurazaka). But when we constantly see negative comments in spaces made for the group, it makes it hard to enjoy the community here. I'm glad (and pleasantly surprised) to see more posts after mine praising the mv and song, because it gives more of a well rounded view of the fans opinion.

If I had to give any critique, it would be some of the camera shots, which i think Dill mentioned already? but the shots where the girls are walking after the camera is rolling, or the snappy takes that aren't in line with the melody, kinda takes me out of the immersion that the visuals are trying to send to me. The styling works perfectly with the art direction, but the directors cut is a little weird, but I also felt the same with Boku no Dilemma, so it might just be me not being a huge fan of the director. Samidare Yo's cinematography is still top tier for me.

On the choreography, I could see enough of it to give an opinion on it due to the directors cut lol, however from the parts we did see it looked really good! I think Takahiro's choreography is known to be very dramatic and expressive but people focus on the more outlandish choreo's like fukyouwaon or nagaredama, however I've always loved the choreography he's done for the slower songs during concerts, and this is a good example of that. It's still expressive and theatrical yet still elegant and fitting for a love song.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gvstavvss

gvstavvss Member

@Dill perfect comment! The song is not bad, but for now there's still no song that defines what Sakurazaka46 is about. That's not the members fault, they are working hard for the group to be more recognised. But when we talk about image, Sakurazaka doesn't have any consistency.

Hinatazaka has that "happy aura" image since the Hiragana Keyaki days, with energetic and lively songs, Keyaki had that "cool" image, sometimes a bit gloomy, but in the end it was about delivering powerful performances. When we think about Nogi, they have that elegant and refined aura - in the past I would say they had a bit of a campy style as well - while sometimes their songs go for the melancholic vibe.

Sakurazuki seems to go after that melancholic, mellow and overall romantic vibe that's characteristic of some Nogi songs. It's inevitable to not think about the other group when listening to this song. As I said, the song is not bad, but we can't pretend every Sakurazaka fan is a Nogi fan as well. The style is supposed to be different, so some people will be disappointed with the song. I love Nogi songs, but I was expecting that Sakurazaka would find its own colours by this single, but it doesn't seem true this time... The group should already have an established image by the 5th single and their 3rd active year.

I already mentioned this on the General thread, but I don't think Sakurazaka should go back to Keyaki style in ANY way. It's a new group, we should push for a different style. In my opinion, Nazekoi is a good "Sakurazaka song", it has a different image from Nogi, Keyaki and Hinata, it has the Sakurazaka style. But as for A-sides and most B-sides until now, they're not innovative. They're not bad either, actually I love most of Saku's discography, but I can't help but feel that something is lacking...

In the end, that's my thought.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Quark

Quark Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    horimiona
    Since I haven't been following the group a lot lately I was barely aware of Rena's existence. I knew she was getting popular but don't know about her in terms of personality or character.
    Even thought, I understand the critics to the song, I have to say that I loved it. The MV is stunning, and super well balanced. The song it self is good, but I agree that it is not the most memorable song. I still like the idea of sakurazaka finally becoming more sakura, and leaving behind the kayakizaka image.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Bekti

Bekti Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iriyamaanna
    Name of white haired girl, she is pretty intresting

12. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    Koike Minami
    the cool we couldn't see coming, but we love.

@Quark The gap between Renaa in SokuSaku and Renaa as performer is very interesting; and one of the reasons I was curious to see what this single would bring. My unsollicited advice for any Renaa new fan is to go and watch her Bluemoon kiss on Backs Live!! I know I sound like a broken record by now, but she did SO freaking well with that song, I'm still quite enamoured with it lol

@minaeshi you're right, I can't speak for others but as a fan, when things I love don't quite click in the right way I start making a list of what I disliked/not understand. I'll try to be better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jsprite

Jsprite Future Girls

Nice (ballad-ish) sugary song, fits Rena's personality. A bit Nogi-like? Yes, ears don't lie (Doesn't mean good or bad). It isn't exactly another Futari Saison, as both the members and Takahiro-sensei can only do so much. Still waiting (and hoping) for THE elusive anthem song/single, the one that would identify Sakurazaka46 not just to fans but also to the common folk.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ritto2908

ritto2908 Member

Oshimen:
    Umezawa Minami
    As someone who has been watching her since she was transferred to 2ki, I'm really happy that the mgmt picked her as the new center. As for the song, it is made for Rena and she nails it. The concept and song are elegant, sophisticated, and graceful, yet gloomy and melancholy, which matches Sakurazaka's image.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Renaa is very good: her face, her voice, her expression. They didn't show enough of her dancing, however, for me.

The whole group looks great, actually. A kind of beauty that touches me. And yes, Koike-san seems to get more and more fascinating. It took years for me to realize what a capable and interesting person she was.

I like the look of the MV. The art direction is excellent. Except for the long, almost Minoan dresses. Their colours are great, but they end up seeming heavy and awkward, especially when the members are trying to dance in them. As an aside, I personally have had the feeling in the past couple of years that Takahiro has lost the plot and the group needs a new dance direction.

The music of the song doesn't do much for me, although the wistful and complicated lyrics are interesting. But my musical taste is rather simple, so perhaps the music is just too sophisticated for me.

I'm glad the group and its management seem to be trying to evolve a style of their own, but I don't think they've found it yet. Although the marriage of Keyaki x Nogi seems a good direction to head.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Quark

Quark Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    horimiona
    Well! We have a big Oshimen overlap, so I will follow your advice. [hehe]

• Like Like x 1
  17. welp

welp Next Girls

It does NOT fit the time of the year. I've checked and, in Japan, cherry blooms in March - April.

They are myriad variants of "upbeat songs with complex choreography". Both Gang Parade and Denpagumi release upbeat songs and they do not sound alike at all. They are over a dozen genres of upbeat dance songs so as complex choreographies, from tap dance to Bollywood. It makes zero sense to burn out able to explore a very wide range of things. May Sakurazaka46 choose to walk the melancholic route, they are innumerable shades of darkness. It is completely fine for an idol group to release a mellow cafe song once the group has had ESTABLISHED image. Has Sakurazaka46 earn that, established image, yet? And, rather than the genre of the song or dance, the idol more likely will burn out for being idol. Idol is a full-life job, an idol has to be idol 24/7. Her career may be over caught staying with a guy in an unlit room for 6 hours.

Definitely NOT. Objectively, a song is more "melodious" with vast fluctuation of notes, frequent switching of high and low notes. Many Japanese songs, idol songs especially, have streaks of similar notes.
    You can better understand my explanation watching this video.

if the video does not show watch the video here
    This trait is very uncommon in western music.

Good to see sanity here. I've seen multiple wota saying something like colored hair was K-pop infection which made the idol looking distasteful and indistinguishable.

In K-pop, there is a term for this disparity between on-stage and off-stage characters, "gap crush".

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    Some friends would say the world is truly turning if I'm the sane one lol

I think those wotas are partly right.
    In kpop, where pratically everyone change the color of their hair at each comeback, it makes idols look similar, especially idols you don't really follow. In jpop, where the number is still low, it can be something eye-catching.

But it's not just the hair with Koike.
    She went from being the girl who spilled everything on herself like a toddler, to this cool and brave idol who took the solo dance in Futari Sezon regardless of consequences and now is another pillar of Sakura.
    Honestly she took her time to grown on me, but I'm proud to have her in our group.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Philosophy Senpai

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    In my rather complicated way of thinking (strange brain some would say), I read the case of Koike somewhat differently:

Given that hair dyeing among idols is to a certain degree somewhat of a taboo, I believe that management and Koike have a kind of secret agreement into allowing her to this extreme hair dyeing as a kind of reward... Reward maybe for keeping her talent, kawaiiness, etc etc and overal contribution to the group not quite under the limelight it deserved to be. I like Mii-chan very much, she was/is among my top 5 Keyaki/Sakura kids (especially when she gets angry) and I like it when she "sticks out" like a "fly in a glass of milk - but in the opposite - , when we see the whole group dance.

In short, I guess the management may have told her: OK girl, you won't get any more chances to a flashier position (center or a kind of being the "face" of the group) but we'll make sure that you get the attention you so much deserve: therefore the extreme dyeing.

Most probably I'm wrong... But it is a possibility nevertheless...

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. minaeshi

minaeshi Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    Twitter:
    minaeshit
    Or maybe she just wanted to dye her hair and management said "you know what? this looks cute on you! keep it like that" and she agreed and just kept making it lighter and lighter. Miichan is an idol who was always steadily growing into her own character, and in a way, Aoi's study hiatus allowed for management to see them as individuals (futari saison made them a strong pairing for a long time) and keep letting her find herself, from when she cut her hair surprisingly short or when she dyed it a lighter brown. The center moment was definitely a turning point for her, but I also feel like a lot of 1ki can do what they like now since they're veteran idols. 2ki are starting to branch out with their styling too so I think that will continue with 3ki joining and the group suddenly having many orthodox, simple looking idols, to balance out the impending miichan's LOL

It's a love song, centered by Sakurazaka's burriko queen Rena, and Valentines day is um *checks notes* literally the day before this single is released.
    Also, the group will literally be promoting this single on music shows, festivals, and tv appearances for the next few months, which guess what?! Runs through March and April too! Just in time for cherry blossom season :awesome:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1