1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Which Members Speak Fluent English?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by KyriosArios, Jun 3, 2014.

1. KyriosArios

KyriosArios Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okaberin
    Twitter:
    KyriosArios
    I know about Nozawa Rena and Hirata Rina, but are there any other members who speak fluent English?

2. notsolittlej

notsolittlej Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    qurlsday
    Not that I'm aware of.

3. obakechan

obakechan Kenkyuusei

Nope, only Hirari and Renachan, the last member who could speak any sort of good English was Akimoto Sayaka

4. Gingerninja

Gingerninja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kondorina
    Kamieda Emika does all of her classes in English at university, but you rarely hear her speak English anywhere, other than in a couple of G+ videos. I can't vouch for the level of these classes, I know from experience the level of can vary from ridiculously low (think kindergarten level) to standard high school/university level. So I can't comment on her ability, other than she does study in English.

5. DaimonMichiko

DaimonMichiko Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    Since when Yuko is fluent in English? :eek:
    No way. (Thats despite her has a somehow English-related family background)

How about Kitarie anyway?

6. Open_SaysaMe

Open_SaysaMe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takajoaki
    Twitter:
    Open_SaysaMe
    ^Not even Akimoto Sayaka was that fluent in English, even though both she and Oshima Yuko would be praised for their [(relatively) good?] English levels.

Can't tell anything about Kitarie, I dunno, but and what about Annin? She sometimes throws some ENglish hints, wasn't there even a time where people thought she was half-english?

And at last, well Ricchan would say she was the best in her English class lool (probably that kindergarten level English class xD ).

To sum it up, I really only know about Hirari and Nozawa Rena.

7. kopkrazy

kopkrazy Member

sato natsuki, ex- team k and team a , i remember when she come to s'pore in 2010 she speak good english , not fluent but very good as she is from waseda university

8. x_lambs

x_lambs Next Girls Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    worklodz
  9. Li Li

Li Li Kenkyuusei

Debunked Kitarie and decent level English at a recent handshake...English definitely isn't her thing :lol:

10. Tensai

Tensai Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    uchiyamanatsuki
    Twitter:
    Tensai
    There are a lot of members who will tell you they are good at English, but in truth it's limited to some very specific scenarios/scripts.

You go off the script, and all hope is lost. (but then again, it's pretty much the same for me in reverse)

As for writing and grammar, I'm not going to poke fun at their accuracy when they are in the ballpark. I certainly couldn't spell most of the words I know in Japanese using kanji, and I know native-English speakers who have difficulty with grammar. [hehe]

11. ForrestFuller

ForrestFuller Senbatsu

Pretty much only 2 (that I know of) Being Hirata and Nozawa. Graduated members, the only one I know of is Akimoto. I know Yuko has been improving (also Hillary teaching her as well according to her blog)

12. Mimi

Mimi Kenkyuusei

Sayaka has a decent pronunciation, but I don't believe she can actually speak English that well (based on what I heard from years ago at least, she might have improved now).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  13. kirifuda

kirifuda Member

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    Twitter:
    akaihoshi15
    Maeda Atsuko and Shimazaki Haruka are pretty good at English.

14. Mimi

Mimi Kenkyuusei

Are you sure?:p [​IMG]

15. kk127

kk127 Member

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    i remember i saw this video of Tomochin having an interview in English, pretty good for Japanese standard (still kind of ehh for me but whatever), i could actually understand her which was very surprising

16. Mimi

Mimi Kenkyuusei

Now that I think about it. When I see this:
    [​IMG]
    it makes me realise that they're probably doing this on purpose to get some laughs. Anna speaks Russian so wouldn't she know that the English word is probably not written in the overly Japanese way as 'okutogasu'? And besides, the Russian word for August is 'avgust'.
    That was so obviously scripted, you could easily tell she was just reciting sentences she memorised.

17. purmion

purmion Kenkyuusei

NMB's Nishimura Aika apparently has been really into English (+ foreign languages in general) recently. I'm not sure how good she actually is, but she studies it a lot and quoted an English sentence in her sousenkyo appeal video too.

18. kirifuda

kirifuda Member

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    Twitter:
    akaihoshi15
    I'm positive. Along with Takamina and Yuko, they are some of the best English speakers in AKB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Gingerninja

Gingerninja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kondorina
    For a while she was posting an English word or phrase everyday on her blog and explaining the meaning. She then did it in French for a while too. Her pronunciation for a school aged person who has never lived abroad is fairly decent. It's accented, but understandable. Whether she could hold a conversation outside of greetings is yet to be seen however, but she's certainly at least trying to learn.

20. skydrive27

skydrive27 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iriyamaanna
    about acchan :)

if the video does not show watch the video here

and i think paruru also not good at english.. latest english test in mechaike she only get 50 point