1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Single AKB48 42nd [Kuchibiru ni Be My Baby] 15/12/09

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, Sep 27, 2015.

1. penguindash

penguindash Kenkyuusei

TBH I don't care about the million streak with this single. More that that, I would like to see this song build up a real following and become a hit because lord knows AKB needs one since the last time they hit it big is now 2.5 years ago. Asadora ratings are pretty massive and consistently the theme songs are often quite successful.

Management's screwed up once already putting it on the b-side, but I really think its future success depends almost completely on the treatment it receives at Kouhaku and whether or not it leaves enough of an impression on the general public.

(Aaaaaaand now that I've said that, watch it get performed as part of a medley in between Halloween Night and Be My Baby...)

2. CutePanda

CutePanda Next Girls

I dont really care if the million streak end here and if that happen, its not the end of the world :^^;:

KnBMB PR video

if the video does not show watch the video here

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  3. gotbild

gotbild Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Ouch, AKB is dooo... No, not really but the sales don't go the right way. And don't blame Takamina, blame management.

4. UrFavAsianGuy

UrFavAsianGuy Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    sashihararino
    Neither one of them should be blamed. Gimmicks can only go so for so long especially when the girls are graduating. What group/singer (JPOP or otherwise) that have 6-7 B sides with music videos everytime they release a single? this is on top of the handshake event. Now, they have NGT48, it's waaay too saturated. SKE and NMB been dropping like rocks. HKT barely sell 300K.

There has to be a time when AKB steps down a little and I think this is the time. They haven't had a public hit in a while (the last one being Koichun)

The next single will even be worse, sales wise. I'd rather they take time, scale down a bit (too many groups/girls), and focus more on quality than quantity.

THis, by no means, is the end of AKB. It's just showing how the casual fans are getting tired of the gimmicks. Give us something else.

5. Doodleboy

Doodleboy Member

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Long story short, Halloween Night is the last single to include handshake tickets for Takamina. Takamina and Sayanee have always been the top two best sellers for handshake tickets, and since kuchibiru ni be my baby is the first single to not have Takamina tickets, that's probably why didn't do a million in one day. They will still get a million in a week (probably), so all is good for AKB48. They will continue to break records even if they don't do one million first day sales.

6. CutePanda

CutePanda Next Girls

@Doodleboy they will struggle to get 1 mil sales in 1st week without Takamina handshake ticket in 42nd single. I am sure eventually they will get the 1million sales....probably in 2nd or 3rd week.

7. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

A single member (with 30 slots) only amounts to a bit over 15k copies sold (if slots are still 90 min and each person gets 10 seconds). Takamina's participation wouldn't increase the sales by that much.

I think the promotion for the single started quite late this time. Like... we had the first performance 2 weeks ago or something?

Still, the million is probably safe, just maybe not in the first week (which didn't matter for Beginner to be considered the first million-seller single).

8. Lindsay

Lindsay Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    gotomoe
    But, surely that doesn't add up. 500 ish handshakes per slot, 30 slots fully sold out, 1 CD per handshake, that's 15000 CDs. That's a lot, sure, but the single is almost 200k short of a million. You would need, hmmm, over 6000 handshakes per slot for Takamina to close the gap. Edit: cross posted with @Trinu !

Honestly, I'd rather they lose the million streak now. With this single, nobody is blaming Takamina. If, say, Kojimako had centered, or Paruru, or even Mayuyu, there would be a lot of "ahh these new girls just can't live up to the old members". Even though Mayu is 3rd gen. The streak is going to go at some point; I'd rather it go with somebody who everyone seems to agree it's not her fault than with some poor sod who would get all the blame.

9. jell0

jell0 Kenkyuusei

WAIT A MINUTE.

I can NEVER find AKB on iTunes! Only NMB -__-

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

10. Millyna

Millyna Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    I cannot even find NMB >_>

11. evile1690

evile1690 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Twitter:
    evile1690
    So the 1M 1st week sales streak is the only thing "in danger" of being broken right??
    Sales might still pick up. It's kinda exciting to see how things will turn out!

On one hand, it will be a PR/Marketing disaster for AKB if the 1M streak ends with Takamina's centered single. (Goodbye Glory Days)
    On the other, whichever girl who centers the next single that fails to reach 1M will get all the blame (though it shouldn't be)

12. kyoto48☀︎☂

kyoto48☀︎☂ Member

Hmmm... first week million will be a big struggle now
    I'm still hoping though, maybe there will be a miracle and it'll pass it.

Although if it does fail, it is kind of symbolic that it fails at the end of takamina's reign. Especially if the next single has lots of new gens from AKB in it and reaches 1m, it could start a nice new story

13. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Actually, this single contains their most recent "public hit". 2ch was discussing it also in their charts thread - it's amazing that they hit #3 on iTunes with a song, let alone a song that had most people going for one of 4 versions of it (meaning that total sales were probably a lot higher than reported even on the chart). Even TNS (relatively objective, neither anti nor fan) was pointing out that the only version of 365nichi not to rank was like type C or something.

I think that's why Management literally tried their hardest to make this single fail. Osaka (3 days), plus 2 days during golden week, with most girls getting a decreased amount of slots is definitely management just trimming down.

14. trxsh

trxsh Member

Looks like the Osaka events didn't sell well at all
    If they don't bother with the million-in-a-week streak anymore, they could still get to 1mil overall sales easily if they switch to the eternal resales rounds Ngzk style. The could also stand to start implementing some more creative gimmicks (for eg, this single had a lottery ballot for the takamina produced stages). The HS is getting out of hand imo, 6 or 7 events per single is too much (I think even the singles last year had about 4 each, cmiiw) and really holding the girls back from having a chance at actually improving themselves as idols (+ it's making them miserable lol)
    In short I think if the streak ends it's not really bad for AKB at all, it just depends on the fandom's attitude to it. I disagree with the blame going to Takamina lol, as much as a few people are very antagonizing towards OG (actually, the fandom is very antagonizing and melodramatic in general, haaaah~), mgm did a pretty good job with making roughly half the 16nin sembatsu consists of new gen/current gen while at the same time not alienating OG fans; for eg, it was very important to tkmn fans that she center her last single, and imo it was executed quite nicely even though ppl got divided opinions on the A-side. At the same time there are UG level young members who already surpassed sembatsu girls in terms of wota power (and other strengths as well) so it's not like the new gen is so weak as people like to claim.

On 365nichi, kind of going on a tangent:
    What's going on with 365nichi is pretty great. The asadora tie-in was a wonderful opportunity for Sayaka to shine. After expressing her frustration of having a bad position in previous singles, I think centering AKB's first hit in a while is an example of "hard work is rewarded"- yes mainly it is a gimmicky thing that's not always realize, but to me it's nice when there are at least some examples in practice. What I'm referring to is her incredible hs sales as a sister group member with double the slots with consistent kamitaiyou, cms, a huge volume of gravure shootings, extra bodily strain as she is based in two cities and appears in two sembatsus. I think with 365nichi, Sayaka has solidified her position as the biggest star in the franchise and I won't be surprised if they don't try to milk it as much as possible now that she is really taking off mainstream.

15. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    @trxsh Honestly most people on 2ch are just like "of course it's obvious, Osaka never sells".

In addition, to your Sayachan point... Both she and Miion had really fantastic positions throughout the single. Both of them are really clear indicators of "hard work pays off" (considering that they, and Sakuratan, all are solid 30/30 HS sellers). So even if this single doesn't sell as much (800 to 900k, which is where I expect first week to end, is a lot) I don't think there's any need to worry that the decline will be as dramatic as the rise of AKB.

16. SaikouTan

SaikouTan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Kobayashi Yui, Miyawaki Sakura
    I'll actually be pretty happy if this doesn't reach 1 million in the first week... It's a chance to start new, get more creative, take risks etc.
    It'll take off tons of pressure, but also make the new gens work harder.
    Not that they're not already, but they've never been without the whole 1 million thing. Once they have to work for it again I think we'll see some of that OG aura come back
    I think this is the perfect time for this to be happening (end of the year, Takamina center + last single)

17. SophieShiori

SophieShiori Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    I'd be upset if this doesn't reach a million, as I feel like it would seem like takamina had somehow failed (though obviously this isn't the case) and this was why she was never center on her own except at the very beginning :S
    It would be a bit better for the spring single to be the one to break it, because then summer (pre and post sousenkyo) could be an excellent symbolic rebirth that's more triumphant - the spring single always seems to be a bit of a worry lately in terms of the streak

18. honeyNUT

honeyNUT Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemiyuki
    Twitter:
    satominameme
    If Takamina's graduation single only sold 800k in the fist day, i wonder what'll happen when KojiYuki graduates and don't participate in their last single's HS

19. kk127

kk127 Member

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    i'm sorry, but lol what????

Sayanee is like Yuko, another level, but Takamina is definitely and was definitely not top 2, like EVER

in the past the HS queens were Yuko, Yukirin & Rena

recent years it's still Yuko (gone now), Yukirin, Rena (gone now), Miyuki, Sayanee, Mayu, Jurina, Takamina, Sakura,.... Takamina has never been top 2, that's for sure

if Takamina is included in your top 2 list, then all the above should too, lol

20. EinhanderX

EinhanderX Next Girls

All I can say for certain, is KnBmB will not get sold as hard as HN. It's December, guys. Everyone is buying a single, but no one is spamming purchase, at least until January where resale for event is.