Okada Nana (Naachan) / 14th Generation

Discussion in 'AKB48 Graduated Members' started by Chaos48, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Harumin87

Harumin87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    I really think naachan is genuine, cuz the way she look at the girls... they are not the way usually girls look each other!!

I was so happy to see her getting sayanee's position!!! I think she is really suited to be in the front row, hope management see it too

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

2. bonjourmarlene

bonjourmarlene Under Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    小林蘭
    Twitter:
    curioushitomi
    Another member that admitted to having had feelings for a woman and being attracted to women was Iwata Karen, although I don't think she ever explicitly said what exactly her sexuality is. It didn't seem to help her, she never ranked in SSK either. With Naachan, I think it was that she was already fairly popular when she came out (however, I have yet to see her documentary so I don't know what exactly she said). I don't think it gave her attention or anything, but because she was already well established and had a lot of people who deeply cared for her, it didn't harm her either.

As much as I wish coming out wasn't a big deal and generally, people wouldn't assume everyone was de facto straight and thus making coming out less necessary, I get why being so open about your sexuality like Kayoyon may not be the best idea. Then again, with the example of Karen, her sexuality may not have played any act in her popularity anyway.

3. Rurouni

Rurouni Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

She finally sent a mail today after not doing anything yesterday. She said she is feeling better now and she has an important work tomorrow. That mail should be her only mail since she said she will mail again tomorrow.

4. henx

henx Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Thanks God....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

5. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

@bonjourmarlene Well-said, as usual... yeah my take is, with Karen the feeling from other members (esp her doukis), was that she wasn't bi, but girl-only -- which after 5 yrs in the group, she'd realized was a part of her life that wasn't ever going to be realized as a member... and esp not if men (specifically men who were her fans) could never be part of her romantic life.
    It's nice that she found theatre as a way to settle out of the idol life though -- as it gives most of the benefits and challenges of being an entertainer, without limitations on gender or sexual preference in its cast outside work. But Naachan has really no choice but to claim bi if she wants to maintain her numbers as a high-ranking idol. And true, her existing popularity probably did cushion the impact a bit more than same with a new member. I'd add further that her majime kyara and this revelation seemed to go-hand-in-hand.

6. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    Oh yeah now you mentioned it, Naachan was actually having a sore throat during the STU Hyogo tour and she just iron-manned through it. (Some might notice it a bit from her Temodemo performance with Yumirin). But some of the STU members were praising Naachan about this after the concert in their showrooms.

7. Rurouni

She probably can also iron-manned through it for yesterday's HS event, but might be bad for her important job tomorrow.

8. Harumin87

Harumin87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Oh thank you god that she is better!!! I was worried. Hope is a minor thing as a flu or allergies ( as myself am sufffering from it).

What kind of big job will be?

9. Matsui Hikari

Matsui Hikari Future Girls Stage48 Donor

??? No other member has claimed as bi and they did perfectly well. In fact, there were risks when it comes to coming out, especially with wotas that are obsessed with dating the members one day. Fortunately though, it didn’t impact Naachan negatively too much. Everyone pretty disregarded it and even if they are aware, they don’t pay much attention to it.

10. Kiri

Kiri Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    岡田奈々 / 손채영
    Maybe the alternative was to come out as gay? By "saying" that she's bi she managed to not scare away the " I want to marry Naachan" portion of her fandom. Of course she may actually be bi and that's it.
    Maybe I'm wrong but I think that if there is an idol that could survive coming out that's Naachan.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  11. Harumin87

Harumin87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    I think so too, and she has a lot of female fans, and most of her fans ship the couple YuuNaa. I remember when she used to do showroom often and whenever she was in a hotel the fans kept asking why she was the only one alone in the room, as if it was because of something suspicious lol

12. PetalidiStelle

PetalidiStelle Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Twitter:
    petalidistellee
    I share these thoughts.
    I remember seeing her answer a 755 question of a transgender fan who asked her about something related to emotions/psicology. Even in Japan, different sexual and identity preferences and things thought as "reckless/egoist/weak" (towards a community standard - mental health, suicide, equality of rights) are being gradually more socially accepted... just slower than in other places. It's not like they were never there. People just suppress it a lot more in order to maintain the "social norm" - it's their culture.

13. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, so let me clarify:

Naachan had to claim 'bi', not 'lesbian' in order not to disenfranchise a considerable portion of her fanbase. I support this using the example of Kayoyon, who was already known to be bi before entering the group, and has not seen nearly as much support from the fandom as Naachan, who built her fandom as a 100% straight kyara (on two levels :p) before then coming out.

From your post I feel you think I meant Naachan had to claim bi vs. str8 to get ahead, which is 180º from my intention. 'Bisexual' vs. 'lesbian', bi is the safer path for an idol, if still far from trivial. It's getting better, but even here in the US, there's still penalty for entertainers, esp for those whose fans are moms and their preteen kids. I don't think there should be any difference... parent or not, but again my wife and I are LGBT ourselves.

Maybe she's a lesbian, maybe she's truly bisexual. In either case, the safe choice for your career while in 48G is to claim bi, but it'd definitely be more like a career move than genuinely coming out, if she's actually a lesbian. Follow me so far? But her demeanor since this revelation points more towards a genuine coming-out, so I feel she may actually be bi. All LGBTQIA are part of a spectrum, and Naachan looks to be XX/xy (70/30, 80/20, whatever she feels except male-biased). :approve:

@PetalidiStelle
    I agree that vs. the rest of the world, sexuality is nowhere more vilified than in the US, despite it being embedded in everything from runway fashion to reality TV to the shape of food containers and personal products... and each country's culture has their own pace of progress towards less medieval attitudes towards people and their bodies and gender identities.

Japan, as with many things, has both extremes living in a tenuous, brittle harmony. I find Japanese societal conservatism stifling and antiquated, and my relatives in Japan find my/my wife's progressive attitudes and openness about our sexual preference charming -- but ultimately still 'fundamentally wrong' -- which is its own too-long forum post. :^^;:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  14. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

I guarantee you that post-graduation she'll marry a guy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Harumin87

Harumin87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    She may marry a guy or a girl the important is that she is happy, and she is not marrying someone because society says what she have to do. And I thought that Acchan would've married at this point or yuko and they are still single! Let us dream about naachan being happy the way she is

16. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    Yeah sure the lucky guy may probably be @Rurouni senpai lmao

OT but Acchan has been dating around several guys since graduation already. Still hasn't found her prince yet. Same with Takamina who is not with an IT guy at his late 30s or something like that.

17. Harumin87

Harumin87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Yeah i didn't meant as if acchan is gay or something cuz she never clinged that way.., on the contraire of naachan lol

18. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

I believe it -- one of the most common things for LGBT in Japan to do, is hire 'paper spouses', str8 matches that prove you're in a cis/str8 marriage on paper, but then after ceremony and honeymoon... you both do your own thing. Often the couple are both LGBT, and rarely speak or see each other once the ppwk is done. In Japan... this is enough to satisfy society, apparently. It's also dirt-cheap, from what I read about 10 yrs ago. ;)

Also... if she does marry a guy in a normal relationship, that falls within expectations of a bi female. She still likes guys, and there's still societal consequences for LGBT marriages in Japan, so it may go that way. But not because she's being hypocritical.

I'll guarantee that, with as much credibility as you guaranteeing you can predict the future. :p

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  19. Paulinespeed

Paulinespeed Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    I totally agree that Naachan is a true blue lesbian but have to claim as a bisexual in order not to disappoint her male fans. Through the way she looks at Yuiri and the way she treat Yuiri, I just won't believe that she's straight. Please bear in mind that Naachan did admit she cut her hair for Yuiri so that people can call them husband and wife when they are together.

Let's face the fact that sexuality is a sensitive topic to talk about especially for politician and entertainer regardless which country in the East or West. Basically anyone in the entertainment wouldn't want to come out as to protect themself from various stigma and inconvenience. Even claiming as bi, Naachan may face prejudice by her co star. Let's say, she is over friendly with her co female star and that say person may think Naachan like her. So, I do respect Naachan for coming out even though she had to disguise as bi. If I didn't remember wrongly, she didn't actually said whether she bi, she just said she had no exact preference of her partner gender and everyone interpreted her as bi. Therefore, IMO Naachan can choose not to come out to play safe. However, I just felt that she can no longer surpress her love for Yuiri and in order to make her statement she came out in her own documentary which Yuiri did praise her in her letter during Naachan 19th Seitansai.

If Naachan truly hope for more publicity and popularity, she could claim to be in love with Mayu who had much more popularity than her. Why would Naachan go for Yuiri who is relatively unknown to the general public?

After Naachan had her hair cut, she had a drastic change of character and became happier. So we should be happy for her that she had found her own happiness.

20. Rurouni

Instagram account https://www.instagram.com/okada7_akb48_stu48/
    Should be real since the first one that followed her is akb48_staff instagram (official akb48 instagram).

From the looks of it, it might be a photoshoot. Probably in a foreign country. Probably a South East Asia country since she showed a picture of her eating rambutan (and yes, she called it rambutan). So either a main gravure for a magazine or more likely, a photobook. She did say that she wanted to release a photobook on her SR which might be a hint that she knowed that she will have one soon. I'm saying a hint because she never made releasing a photobook as one of her goals before and suddenly she mentioned about it.

Also I agree with @Reveen that she will eventually marry a guy. Not because she likes a man more than a woman but because she wants to build a proper family (thus having a baby with her own spouse). If she can make babies with a woman, then I will say she has a big chance to actually marrying a womam.
    Before marrying a guy tho, she might be dating a woman (women?) first.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017