Stage48 Wiki - Organization & Discussion

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by aakun, Aug 3, 2010.

1. trxsh

trxsh Member

Just wondering- if the 48pedia main page (presumably what you guys are modeling wiki48's new main page off of) only has the official groups, why would we have the Chinese groups on ours? I notice the current main page (http://stage48.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) lists the Chinese groups right below all the official groups, and though there's the rather vague caveat in the description (in 2016 it "became fully independent"), this still gives the misleading impression that they are affiliated with the 48 groups.

2. takajuro

takajuro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimanatsuki
    Twitter:
    takajuro
    Because is a wiki for AKB48 Group and SNH48 Group fans. Some time ago the same was discussed here and decided to keep the Chinese groups, as it is the only source of information for international fans. Also because they are still 48 Groups (not part of AKB48 Group), they use the same format and concept and there are editors willing to keep their pages updated. :)

3. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik
    If only there was a place for discussion about them - this is probably the inconsistency @trxsh is feeling.

4. takajuro

takajuro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimanatsuki
    Twitter:
    takajuro
    I have added those categories to the pages I created :) Some editors add nationality as a category, but I think it's unnecessary. What do you think?

5. trxsh

trxsh Member

Naaaaah I wasnt suggesting that you shouldnt keep the Chinese groups on the wiki haha! I was just wondering why theyre on the main page with the 48 groups in a manner that suggests they are affiliated. And they arent 48 groups, there isnt a distinction with AKB48 Group and 48 group (or "48 group" and "48g" as someone was trying to argue on here before), they are just abbreviations for eachother. Just thought it looked misleading but ok, I understand. Thanks for answering :)

6. PetalidiStelle

PetalidiStelle Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Twitter:
    petalidistellee
    I also find it unnecessary. Most girls were born in the country of their respective groups. Those who weren't aren't that many so it can be left as trivia, IMO.
    I don't disagree with a category, though, something like "Members born outside their group's country". But I think there's already a list for them.

About the Chinese groups, I agree that it looks like they are still affiliated... Maybe link the "AKB48-SNH48 relations" page on top of SNH description?
    Another option would be to create a different main page and sidebar list to Chinese groups. If we're going with a 48pedia-like main page, this could be a good option, IMO.

7. takajuro

takajuro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimanatsuki
    Twitter:
    takajuro
    What do you think about the idea of put the expensive sections in a “spoiler”? I think is neccesary, some pages are so expensive, examples: Senbatsu, Center and AKB48 pages

8. bonjourmarlene

bonjourmarlene Under Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    小林蘭
    Twitter:
    curioushitomi
    I'm sorry for interrupting your conversation, but I wanted to mention that the site for Team A has been updated, while K, B and 4 still list their teams before the shuffle. This is a bit confusing imo because now some members are listed in multiple teams (e.g. Mukaichi Mion in Team A and K; Goto Moe and Kato Rena in Team A and B; and probably a few others I missed). I know you're busy with changing the look of the site (and your ideas look great btw!), but please don't forget to update the team sites as well. Thanks ^^

9. PetalidiStelle

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Twitter:
    petalidistellee
    I personally don't think it's necessary. Wikis are supposed to be an extensive resource of information. The lists of contents allow people to move around in the pages.

@bonjourmarlene I am one of the editors who are taking care of it. Thank you for the thumbs up. We are doing it at the pacing we are able to. It's the top priority for me right now :)

10. evile1690

evile1690 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Twitter:
    evile1690
    Woah! I didn't know you could create test pages from our user accounts.
    Anyway I really love your idea!! It looks like 48pedia~ (Though I'm not sure if everyone would want it like that just yet)

This is what I had in mind:

[​IMG]

*got rid of Table of Contents
    *the logo,desc,promo photos are actually inside a table
    *thinking of making the header "AKB48" as part of the table header instead but doing so would put the text in the middle and it looks off.
    *the AKB48 logo links to the AKB48 page
    *thinking of how I can add a small box under the logo to put links to the discography and members section.

Let me know what you all think.

P.S
    Can someone please edit the intro text at the home page? It sounds a bit off. I edited it in my example above but I'm not sure if it sounds better.

11. MeoJim

MeoJim Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    obamina
    @PetalidiStelle I appreciate the work you've done so far, I'm just wondering if we're altering the wiki a bit too fast for the new teams? Just because on the official website they still have the old team formations, and technically speaking they aren't meant to roll out until Spring.

To save you having to undo your work we can keep Team A as it is, just make sure you include a note on the page that this is the new team that will come into effect in the future :chuffed:

12. takajuro

takajuro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimanatsuki
    Twitter:
    takajuro
    Please don't delete the SNH48 Group :( me along with other admins have worked hard to keep these pages up-to-date.

I like your idea, but i think they have too much text. I think the graduated soloist are unnecesary.

13. PetalidiStelle

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Twitter:
    petalidistellee
    @MeoJim I didn't know the teams would only be functioning on spring, thank you! I thought the changes would be official after the shuffle was announced since there were people complaining about how the teams weren't up to date.
    @takajuro already reverted the team pages but most member pages are already edited. I guess we should edit the rest of the pages and the team templates and I will include a note in the AKB48 12th Anniversary Shuffle page regarding the official team change.

14. takajuro

takajuro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimanatsuki
    Twitter:
    takajuro
    Is a good idea, i think is a better idea to include a note in the team pages, like the Team XII page. (They will disband after the soon shuffle) with a link of the respective event.

15. MeoJim

MeoJim Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    obamina
    @PetalidiStelle I think the announcement was to that effect when they first announced it back at the Shuffle, but they may well decide to initiate the changes earlier!
    If you, @takajuro and @princessairbender have already made some changes then, to save you from reverting the changes and making the same amendments two months later, just add a line in their bio saying this will come into effect in Spring 2018 - that way, when the changes happen on the actual sites we just have to remove one line :chuffed:

16. evile1690

evile1690 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Twitter:
    evile1690
    @takajuro I'm not the head honcho here, so even if I didn't care for the SNH48 group, they would still be included in our wiki. Though I do want them separated faaaaar away from Japan 48 lol

Also, my design was just based on what's in our current home page. I don't know really who made the current home page the way it is but the descriptions of the groups are there to help newbies into the fandom. That said, I do think they are very lengthy and need to be trimmed down to only the important aspects of the groups.

Back to the homepage redesign, I was thinking of a hybrid layout - mixing the simple design of 48pedia on top and then adding the groups and their descriptions below/after. What do you think???

@ithebigc @Cristafari looping you both in here to help us decide. :flower:

17. DeJure

DeJure Member

Oshimen:
    imadamina
    Twitter:
    DeJureDM
    Now that people are actually willing to change the structure a bit, it might be a good time to reiterate two points I raised years ago about member pages.
    1. De-trivialize the trivia section. Most of a members' page looks like a specs page of a machine. It's all single, stage, concert, ... positions and the trivia section itself is like an afterthought. This while the trivia tells the story of the member, who the person is, what they like & find important, their bonds with other members. Yet at the moment it's a random (usually sad) list of bullet points. The Japanese wikis have such a nice, meaty section which tells the history of the member, like an actual wikipedia page and not like a fact sheet. I realize making this an actual section with paragraphs for every member is an effort, but one has to have the courage to make that option available for people who want to write it (me for HKT). Make people who read the wiki know more about the members. I want to go further than @PetalidiStelle with this.
    2. Introduce sourcing system. Just like the JP wikis have. Our member pages lack a sourcing system, know where the info people put on the wiki actually comes from and which people can then use to find out more or read the source. Though I think this needs a plugin we currently do not have.

@evile1690 Your new table structure for the front page is nice. I always found it really annoying and messy to have JKT48 or STU48's single photo next to SKE48 because they weren't aligned per group. A lot better like this.

A thing that I do think is a downgrade, is the removal of a table of contents. This is a big page, and having it there at the top is very functional and good for navigation. It saves you a lot of scrolling, especially when you're on mobile. For the same reason I also think it is not a good idea to include the simple '48pedia' design at the top, despite how neat it may look.
    One needs to think about the functionality of it; it's just the same as a table of contents. It is just larger, and looks a tad more fancy. With this in mind I would simply retain the table of contents, and do not make the page overly large and fancy with something that just caters to the same functionality for readers.

A good idea to flesh out more would be those small boxes you suggest putting under the Logos. It would ease navigation, and there is plenty of space left in that column.

18. bonjourmarlene

bonjourmarlene Under Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    小林蘭
    Twitter:
    curioushitomi
    While not everyone has an account to edit profiles in the wiki, I'm sure a lot of people would be more than happy to provide some trivia about their oshi (I know I'd love to contribute for Tano-chan). There are some people in this forum who know a looooot about their favs, or even entire groups (especially NGT and STU now that they're still fairly new).

19. PetalidiStelle

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Twitter:
    petalidistellee
    @DeJure I agree with your opinion about the trivia section. I also thought about it, but I preferred to restrain myself in my suggestions because I know it will mean a lot of work for a not so big team of editors.
    I got reminded of the MyAnimeList Rewrite project. They recruit users of the site to rewrite anime synopsis. I'm sure some editors will volunteer to do the section, as you did with HKT. But maybe we could ask for help in the forum. Users would submit their own paragraphs and the editors would then proofread and edit the pages.
    Or else, do a special editor recruitment for that purpose. Tell me what you guys think about it.

20. DeJure

DeJure Member

Oshimen:
    imadamina
    Twitter:
    DeJureDM
    Last time the main problem seems to have been that it was a indeed lot of work. And that if some were willing to reform/rewrite the trivia sections, then other people felt like they would need to do that as well for their groups. Something that seemed to be too big of a bother for them. As such no one was allowed to do it, because there would have been a period where some pages had the few bullet points and others paragraphs.

While it is true that it is a lot of work, it is not like others are forced to also start that grind when I start typing some entries for HKT. It is impossible to stock up 100% of new trivia entries and then roll them out together, so there will be inconsistencies in format during the (perhaps long) transition. I don't think this is that much of a problem when it's only the trivia sections, not like they are that consistent at the moment anyway.

So your ideas are good ones to think about for getting more people involved on members or groups that seem to need it after a while. My main wish here is that people would allow it to be made, and soon. Not wait until literally every member has someone set up who is wanting to do it immediately, because it will never happen at that point.

I.e. let people write sections, other people do 'theirs' when they want, and don't be too bothered that some are not updated yet. The point here is to get more of a member's story, uniqueness and identity out.

Btw I would be more than willing to language check entries that people give for their favs. It doesn't take a lot of time.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018