1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Single AKB48 53rd [Sentimental Train] (2018/09/19)

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, Jun 16, 2018.

1. steph

steph Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nyan Nyan Kamen
    I actually like all the songs on this single, it's a solid single for me. Although the stand outs for me is definitely Undergirls and Upcoming girls. The undergirls song didn't sound that good to me from the preview/radio rip but after hearing a better quality ver it sounds way better (but it's still not as good as last year's song, that one was amazing). The upcoming girls song was surprisingly really good, Moe looks beautiful in that mv <3 Also cherprang looks so nice in the next girls mv!

Song
    Senbatsu > Undergirls > Upcoming Girls > Future Girls > Next Girls > Kinen Waku

MV
    Senbatsu > Upcoming Girls > Undergirls > Next Girls > Future Girls > Kinen Waku

2. wetpantsu

wetpantsu Upcoming Girls

omfg Saho won.... Under girls got the best song once again!!! Beautiful PV too!

They really did half the girls dirty with that danso in next girls... The song is pleasant I guess...

Future girls not bad song, cute pv Komi and Nagi outsold.

Upcoming girls had a really pretty MV and the song is interesting.

The last unit had a nice pv and song too.

It's so funny how AKI-P would make the songs into a wCenter when he's not fond of the member (Megu).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ozeki

Ozeki Member

Oshimen:
    Nibubu
    MV’s were all good to me.

most of the songs didn’t really catch my attention at first listen, so the MV’s are definitely helping~

4. AnToNa

AnToNa Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iriyamaanna
    The UcG song sounds lowkey like a Kalafina song, loving it! Music looks really pretty in the MV oh wow. The others are pretty basic, but the MV for Kinen Waku Members is really good.

UG still wins tho. I kinda want them to have more dancing scenes there since the chore looks really good.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. gotbild

gotbild Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Thanks, now I understand the title. But still not the MV. But I can live with that.

6. All Nippon Airways

All Nippon Airways Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    imo, quality of MV was downgrade from past SSK single, the song also!

best MV: Senbatsu, Undergirl
    best song: Senbatsu, Undergirl & Upcoming girl

other song & MV just Meh

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2018
  7. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

UG: Song is nice… and it’s not at the same time? I feel like the latin rhythm doesn’t really work here, and that harmonica… ugg.

Next Girls: That setting is amazing and that song is awful. NEXT.

Future Girls: That setting is awful and that song is not bad.

Upcoming Girls: Setting is boring, but the song is amazing.

10th Kinen: Finally a (sort of) story!! And the song is good! This single is saved!

--

They rarely do anything exciting for the SSK single, so meh

8. Arbios

Arbios Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Upcoming Girls is so beautiful,the song,the mv,the center
    everything :D

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Shoka

Shoka Kenkyuusei

I also did the MV btw (link)

I'm still not sure about the connection between the MV and the song lyrics though...
    Have to think about this one. :hmm:

10. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Whatever for?

Does 11gatsu have anything to do with running and dancing on the beach?
    Does UZA have any relation with dolls waking up and dancing in an attic?
    Does BINGO have anything to do with escaping a boat?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Matsui Hikari

Matsui Hikari Future Girls Stage48 Donor

Upcoming Girls, hands down, has the best visuals and song :1st:

• Like Like x 2
  12. tomosama

tomosama Kenkyuusei

Yes to Upcoming Girl being the best among others! Moe looks so good standing in the center. :cute:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    I'm pretty much with the majority here that these songs are all somewhat uninspiring and forgettable. However, I like the Kinen Waku song best out of all of them. I would rank them this way...

1. Kinen Waku - I thought the melody and chorus were the most catchy.
    2. Senbatsu - I like the PV, and how they worked around Jurina. Song is decent.
    3. Undergirls - Mainly because of Kaotan, song itself is just okay. I expect more quirky stuff when Kaotan is involved.
    4. Next Girls - Corny Bowling outfits and retro hairstyles are LOLZ-worthy, and Maichan looks cute in anything.
    5. Upcoming Girls - I thought it was generally dull. Sorry Yukachan :(
    6. Future Girls - The PV is kinda cute. Aside from that, meh

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Kirameku

Kirameku Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    hondahitomi
    Omg it really does! I love Kalafina so much, may be thats why I liked this song most. Also Moe is just gorgeous as center. My favourite song in this single :)

15. akb&ske_lovers

akb&ske_lovers Kenkyuusei

If they re-shoot Sentimental Train after J come back later, I think it would be nice if they continue the story (part 2), like she definately come back or else..:hehe:

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Konno A.

Konno A. Future Girls

Oshimen:
    ichikawamiori
    omg that's exactly what I was gonna write before I read ur post lol. May Kalafina live on...even in their weird state atm.

The only song that was legit really good was UpcomingGirls. The MV is pretty too. The rest really are just ok. I did like Future Girls tho a little. It's cute. I don't like the 50s boy/girl MV for Next Girls. IDK why but I just feel the styling is really bad and doesn't seem to flatter anyone in that MV lol. Overall, B-sides are ok. I'll probably have a few on my iphone

17. qadri08

qadri08 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    saitoasuka
    for me
    song : senbatsu > ucg > fg > ug > kinen waku > ng
    MV : ucg > ug > senbatsu > kinen waku > fg > ng

wow @ moe she got a solo part in ucg song!! her voice is calmly beautiful tho

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SineCos

SineCos Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Thai fan just funny making Cherprang new hair style now:awesome:
    5EDA70BB-3F3E-45F2-BCAD-5F79980B69C2.jpeg

Just Lmao when see their twitter

• Like Like x 3
  19. SaltXcSS

SaltXcSS Kenkyuusei Studio48 Contributor

Continuing this from last year along with my thoughts on each video.

Senbatsu: Hearing this song is quite refreshing. It definitely sounds upbeat and relaxing, but at the same time feels like something I haven't heard from them in years. Glad to hear that Tomu gets screentime after a year of almost having no appearances in any AKB48 song (except Team K song from Teacher Teacher). Still sad that Jurina isn't in it, but I can't wait to see how it will look with her in it.
    Undergirls: Sounds interesting and not what I'd expect given the song title but still good.
    Next Girls: At first the bowling alley gave 2014 Upcoming Girls vibes, but then the members showed up and it gave me MomoClo vibes. Song sounds decent but I feel it isn't paired with the best concept. At least it features Cherprang as well as it being Mikotti's first ranked song since not ranking in every election since the first (and #81 in 2017).
    Future Girls: This one is kinda forgettable but at least Natsumikan is in it (and didn't drop too much compared to certain members). I don't think I've ever seen this much pink in a music video in a really long while.
    Upcoming Girls: Surprised at how the song sounds given the opening scenes being so bright and all. But it still reminds me of last year's UcG song where it had something going but it's (melody, singing probably) not used to the fullest I feel. Still a good song.
    Kinen Waku: Wishing that members will get screentime when the full MV comes out. The MV looks decent though.

Song: Senbatsu >>>>> Under Girls = Upcoming Girls = Next Girls >>> Kinen Waku >>> Future Girls

Senbatsu: 2013 > 2011 > 2010 > 2015 > 2009 > 2012 > 2018 > 2016 > 2017 >>>>>> 2014
    Undergirls: 2012 > 2017 > 2010 > 2013 > 2018 > 2016 > 2009 > 2015 > 2011 >>>>> 2014
    Next Girls: 2013 >>>>> 2015 > 2016 > 2017 > 2014 > 2018 >>>>> 2012
    Future Girls: 2012 > 2017 > 2013 > 2016 > 2014 = 2015 = 2018
    Upcoming Girls: 2014 = 2016 > 2018 > 2017 > 2015

Overall: 2013 > 2010 > 2011 > 2012 > 2015 > 2017 > 2009 > 2018 > 2016 > 2014

Only the Senbatsu song really stood out although the rest were okay in their own ways. Maybe next year or something I will rearrange this entire list. It's tough to figure out from UG, NG, or UcG which one I like more though.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Shoka

Shoka Kenkyuusei

Aren't you being contradictory to your previous post implying some metaphor between the song and the MV?

Anyway, in Sentimental Train, I think there are three key points to the metaphors
    1. Time: It's a train that takes forever to reach its destination (the local slow train that stops at every stop), as if like a boy (or old man [hehe]) that takes forever to realize his "love", as if like the lights from the stars take forever to reach Earth according to Sakura's speech.
    2. Sky: Beyond the window, the sky represents happiness (explicitly from the lyrics). Jurina, coming from the sky, also represents a sort of happiness (from her final conversation with Akari). Both sorts of happiness can't be retained in the end, blocked by a window in one case and by outer space in the other.
    3. Light: Light comes up a throughout the MV. In the song, light comes in Verse 2's B-melody, where it says everything shines while on the train due to the morning sun. Even if the source is unattainable (the sunlight through the windows, or light from the stars i.e. Jurina), its light still reaches us and shines on everything. I'm not sure exactly, but it seems like it represents a feeling of hope.

More parallels:
    • Sakura hears rumors of Jurina from her friends. The boy hears rumors of the girl as well.
    • Sakura wished she could have been closer friends with Jurina. The boy wished that the girl would just look in his direction.
    • At the end, Jurina leaves into deep space, and the girls must say goodbye to a friend. The boy on the train never faces his feelings, and watches the girl leave the train through the window.
    • Someday, Jurina will come back and shine on everything again. Tomorrow, the morning will come again and sunlight (along with the girl) will shine on everything in the train as well.
    • Sakura expresses difficulty in becoming close friends with Jurina. The boy expresses difficulty facing his feelings for the girl.
    Akari's book that she's reading also adds another layer.

(btw the setting of the 11gatsu mv is pretty directly related to the song)

• Creative Creative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1