1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

IZONE News and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Idol Emporium' started by ForrestFuller, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    Nope, I watched PD48 more times that I should have probably [hehe] and I expected more from her.
    I can't speak for others, but saying that people who don't share your love for her are just whining is kind of superficial.

This said, she'll have 2.5 years and tons of screentime to change our mind, so... we'll see, I guess.

Change of topic, I really want them get other people as managers and security than the leftover from other groups... expecially that creepy guy with Yena... :gavel:
    I fail to understand why companies don't give women-managers to groups, Twice has Sadness manager and she's kind of a superstar all by herself [hehe] k-pop fans, there're are other groups with female-managers?

• Dislike Dislike x 9
    • Agree Agree x 7
  2. Raidanzoup

Raidanzoup Kenkyuusei

From what I've seen, it's been a bit of a mixed bag. Red Velvet used to have their own "Sadness" manager, so I was surprised when I saw Twice fans using the same nickname. That Inside-Out movie was pretty new at the time, though. I'm pretty sure all three SM girl groups have gone through different manager teams and shared managers between the groups. I think Pristin also had a few, but I'm not sure if they were sharing managers with Nu'est or SVT.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. GATX105

GATX105 Member

I think hyewon and minju (and to some extent sakura) are always going to be viewed as no-talent by reputation. Part of it is because their visual far outshine their singing and dancing talent. And comparatively, even if they improve, the others are going to improve as well so they'll always be behind. Their visuals will improve too so the dancing and especially singing just won't catch up. And as long as "we know" that they're not talented, the brain cells are always going to send NO TALENT NO TALENT NO TALENT signals when you see them perform. Wonyoung is not too far off if you think about it except that she doesn't have a no talent reputation and is not a visual-first girl. And if you raise the bar just a bit higher, you'll start catching the other members as well.

I think though that they blend in alright during performances. They don't execute powerful moves and their individual fancams won't be that great but they dance quite nicely during performances and do not ruin a performance. Singing is another matter but they'll only get a few lines anyway (and autotune) and they'll get more one-on-one training. Also, during center-tryout videos watched by trainees themselves which include chaeyeon, eunbi, etc., sakura and minju were selected or at least have been voted on by other members as a suitable center for a particular concept -- so it seems they're seeing something many folks aren't seeing. Or maybe they're not as biased and have not concluded that these members have no talent at all(?) (or their visuals were just so good(?). Anyway, they're already in the group so maybe just focus on other members if you don't like them.

Maybe you should have expected less? If you're familiar with her, she's been exceeding her standard 48G abilities every single time with less time for practice and improvement than if she didn't have to fill 48G group commitments while the show was going on. I think you focus on her rank and expect her talent to catch up but talent doesn't change just to match their rank on the show (although the girls generally give more effort when they're center). And she has always excelled more in posing for pics, saying nice things, projecting "girl-crush" in a game and putting lipstick after spinning several times -- and I think in those things, she might have met your expectations more lol.

Moving on, I think management should also impose a "no unnecessary contact/skin-ship" on the managers as well -- or at least yena's manager, lol.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    @GATX105 That's not "Yena manager" that's one of those people (managers or security) Pledis gives around. I don't like him a bit :glare:

Maybe my expectations were really too high when it comes to dancing and singing, but more than the rank - which was to be expected regardless - it was because of the amount of screentime she got (which too was to be expected; but since the start it irked me a bit more than Sakura's position). You made a point though and I'll have to think about this.

Thank you @Raidanzoup for the infos. Though now I wonder how many Sadness manager there are around lol and, most importat, do they all look like Sadness for real? [hehe] Someone said they also saw Nu'est manager in the IZone airport pics. It wouldn't be more beneficial for everyone give the girl a manager and staff working only on this project?

5. GATX105

GATX105 Member

Ah, if it's just one of many assigned mangers/security then that person should be changed -- the girls are going to be uncomfortable if they're put in another situation where they have to be close to this particular guy again.

Ah so it was already there at the start. You're pretty good at reflecting so you're a good person to ask if you think sakura having a lot of screentime/promotion in 48G (shoved down our throats as others would put it) impacted your perception about her screentime in PD48. Something like -- oh no, here she is being featured "again" whenever you'd see her part.

Prior to the show, none of the 48G members were known to the k-trainees by name other than jurina and sakura (shown during ep 1) so it could be argued that either or both of them would and should have been featured more at the start since it's likely that the general audience would also know only them as well (to create "gateway" effect). And sakura was the nekkoya center even before the show aired. Also, a more relevant (higher-ranking) trainee would logically be featured more. I guess it doesn't help that mnet always include sakura in the last part of the show and then feature her heavily in all the next-episode-previews which means you just watched the sakura part and then the next episode seems to be more sakura again. After the first 1.5 episodes, I thought we got a fair amount of juri, miru and honda/nako as well but more miru, more honda/nako, and more juri is good while more sakura is bad right? :) My 2 cents.

So no news yet about the "contract." Rather than any exclusive-time provisions, I'm more interested in any share of profits that the girls will receive and I really hope they get a fair share -- k trainees still have to pay for their training fees and the future is uncertain even after the 2.5 years. K-fans seem to move on to the next big thing and things don't seem to last long.[/user]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Raidanzoup

Raidanzoup Kenkyuusei

I remember reading that Wanna One's Jaehwan was super well off since he didn't have any middle managers to split his profits between seeing as he was a free agent when he entered the competition, and I'm really curious as to how that'll play out with the Japanese trio. At least in Korea product endorsements rake in a lot if you're in high demand, and Korean idols seem to get a better split on that payout than for their music and merch, so with those deals already in place I hope they make some dough, win some bread, get that paper, etc.

7. flutterbyu

flutterbyu Member

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    I'm assuming it'll be the same as any other outside job. AKB management will take 100% of their profits and then pay them a tiny fraction.

8. GATX105

GATX105 Member

I doubt it'll be the same as their existing AKB contracts as their izone contracts will have to be similar to the korean izone contracts. You wouldn't want an under-performing/unmotivated member because they are paid/earning less for doing the same work.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. riduch

riduch Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Sakura is my number 1 in akb48 universe, and she got no talent. At least she can hold a note now, in the past she's even worse.
    Wonyoung is a great dancer, that's why few people put her on visual only no talent, she's like hitomi, great dancer below average singer

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Momorin

Momorin Kenkyuusei

I hope they have a concept and sound similar to
    [​IMG]
    It would be really cute to see them do something like this. It's really fun and fresh. ​

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GATX105

GATX105 Member

^
    With the personnel they have, I think the group's concept is mostly going to be on the cute(r) side

I guess that's your opinion -- which is fine.
    I think though that the dance trainers have a different opinion and neither trainers nor fellow-trainees (especially the k trainees) regarded WY as a great dancer in the show -- unlike honda.

Opinion (to give an example): I always watch the rollin rollin practice and perfs and she doesn't "roll" like nayoung and honda during the rollin rollin part. :)

edit: @Unggoy, lol I guess I was playing around with the word "roll" but what I mean is that I think honda executes more smoothly and that they do not appear to be at the same skill level. But the opinion part isn't meant to be my main point.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Unggoy

Unggoy Kenkyuusei

Fact: A person being an amazing dancer doesn't and never will mean that they are capable of pulling off all moves in all possible styles.
    Fact: A person who may not be capable of "rolling" the way that someone else may be capable of "rolling" in one song utilizing one style and image does not mean that that person is not capable of "rolling" the way a different song and a different style needs.

Shakira's hips don't lie the same way Bollywood dancer's hips don't lie the same as a properly trained hula dancer's hips don't lie. Some girls are pretty amazing at dancing. I started watching Produce 101 China last night and in the first episode there is a girl who's body can move brilliantly across genres and styles and images but her face can't necessarily do the same. So while Wonyoung may not have been the best at giving off the right image for "Rollin' Rollin'" doesn't mean she isn't quite capable of performing other images and styles better than her groupmates.

Not saying I'm a huge fan of her but definitely saying that it would be incredibly difficult to try and compare Bob Ross to van Gogh

EDIT: Watch SECRET's video for Starlight Moonlight. That's one image that you can also find in SKARF's Oh! Dance. It's cute, right? Now switch to Girl's Day and watch Hug Me or Twinkle Twinkle. It's still cute but the whole image is different. Some girls are made for Starlight Moonlight or Oh! Dance and others are made for Twinkle Twinkle. Or, get crazy here, watching Bing Bing by Crayon Pop. Still cute... whole different style.

13. LOP

LOP Kenkyuusei

my favourite perf of Minjoo. She's not that bad if she is confident but as you can see some perf that she did bad is just because she's insecure of her skill. In conclusion just pump Minjoo with confidence and more experience performing on stage then she will be fine
    if the video does not show watch the video here

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. StrayDogFreedom

StrayDogFreedom Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Manaka
    I don't have a problem with "no talent" idols, I don't even really think Minju and Hyewon necessarily are not talented so much as they just didn't wow me in their own rights. Hyewon was super fun with Satomina and Minju was super pretty but aside from that they didn't make much of an impression on me. Sakura isn't at all like that in my opinion because she grabs my attention whenever she's around whether she's performing well, performing badly or just hanging out.

On the other hand, if an idol is "talented" performance-wise that honestly to me means just about nothing. Being a good dancer or singer is great and all but it's not like I'm watching Idols for the amazing dance performances or singing, I'm looking more for a likability, a charisma or character that pulls me in and makes me interested. The singing and dancing to me is just one of the mediums in which they go about doing it.

To be honest the main reasons I liked AKB in the first place were the characters of the members and the variety shows, not the songs, I got into those later. I think that's the reason I didn't see the appeal of Chaeyeon. Despite the show dedicating a large amount of time toward her narrative near the end, she seemed all about being a good singer and dancer and I just couldn't care less about that.

This season of the show I think was far more involved in the differences between members nationalities and the technicalities of the performances than I think it was in focusing on the members characters and relationships. That almost seemed like an afterthought they felt the need to cram into extra youtube videos or during the later episodes when the ratings weren't picking up.

Hopefully the coming variety shows will change my mind on those three members though. Especially if they're like the I.O.I variety shows which were incredibly charming.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. riduch

riduch Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    She nailed all the opportunities given to her though

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. skuf

skuf Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yasuda Kana
    Twitter:
    TravisSkuff
    goodbye Hitomi Honda Civic, we'll see you again in like 3 years.. :(

• Old Old x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. kero__kero

kero__kero Upcoming Girls

she’s hyundai hitomi now

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Aka

Aka Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Sakaguchi "Tenshi" Nagisa
    "Even Honda drives a Toyota"

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Old Old x 2
  19. oshimen_yuko

oshimen_yuko Kenkyuusei

Hitomi Honda Civic lmao

• Old Old x 2
  20. flutterbyu

flutterbyu Member

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    I guess I could be wrong, but I think they will probably technically be paid just as much as the other members, but they won't personally get the money. Their agency will.