1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Graduation announcements thread

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Kuchi-Chan, Nov 6, 2013.

1. honeyNUT

honeyNUT Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemiyuki
    Twitter:
    satominameme
    Ashu still can get her paycheck somewhere else since she seems like she’s booked nowadays. Nogi girls are all probably afraid of ending up like AKB girls that jumped ship too late. The ideal thing is to jump ship while nogi/they’re still selling like hotcakes

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Ririe

Ririe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nagatomo Ayami
    Oh, I see...

I am sad to see Riorin leave... She had this calming and sweet aura, I loved seeing her on stage... I will miss her, here is hoping that she gets more recognition in whatever she decides to do after...

• Like Like x 2
  3. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. wetpantsu

wetpantsu Upcoming Girls

O girl get those dentist dollars!!!

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Aka

Aka Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Sakaguchi "Tenshi" Nagisa
    Another sister buys a Duster.

• Like Like x 2
  6. sakurappu

sakurappu Next Girls

Oshimen:
    idol!Sayaka ✈️ singer!Sayaka
    Twitter:
    sakurappu_
    No more Yahagi Sisters
    IMG_20180902_232953.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    She indeed needs to leave. Studying medical or dentistry or veterinary would force the students to fully focus in their studies.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Crystelle

Crystelle Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Izuta Rina, Ida Reona
    Sad that Yukina is graduating. I wish her good luck for her studies!

9. tuxedo_gin

tuxedo_gin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    onishimomoka
    In practice this almost never happens, though. How many idols can you name that have had successful careers after graduation? There aren't many. They get booked for outside work because they are popular because they are in popular groups. When they leave the group, the majority of their fans don't follow them. It has nothing to do with when they leave - even idols who leave at the top of their popularity quickly find themselves forgotten. It's sad, but the REAL popularity is because of the group, not the individual idol.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Mikansei

Mikansei Kenkyuusei

Kawaei Rina :fear:

• Like Like x 9
  11. SunnyHighland

SunnyHighland Next Girls

Oshimen:
    okaberin
    That's a good example though. But only her? :rolleyes:
    Even Maeda Atsuko was like, not on A-list some time after her graduation :fear:
    As much as I want to see Mayuyu to be successful after graduation, it still feels like she is not more popular compared to when she is still an AKB member. :|

• Like Like x 2
  12. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Agree. Kawaei is more successful even than Atsuko & Yuko.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. nvmea

nvmea Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Hongo Yuzuha
    Twitter:
    nvmea
    you know the answer - the most successful graduate came from SKE:shifty:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. sc89

sc89 Member Studio48 Contributor

Oshimen:
    Yamamoto Ayaka
    There are indeed a lot more unsuccessful former-idols than successful ones, but then:
    Mitsushima Hikari :1st:
    Shinohara Ryoko :1st:
    Ueto Aya :1st:
    Kanno Miho :1st:
    Nakatani Miki :1st:
    Nakama Yukie :1st:

I agree with you that as a former idol, you can't really rely on your former fans after graduation. The reason is that following an idol and following an actress / non-idol singer / variety talent / etc. are often two different kinds of experience. If you're offering a different experience to people, can you still expect most of them to stay? In a way you are switching your career. Jumping into a new circle. There will be some people that you can bring along from the older circle, but more importantly you'll also have to appeal to new people in the new circle.

And this is why I think that having been in a well-known idol group isn't always a good thing for graduates. Is it really a good thing when idol fans see you as only a former AKB / Nogi AND non-idol fans also see you as only a former AKB / Nogi? Note that for the actresses I listed above, none of their former groups were as popular as 48G / 46G is. Many people have probably never heard of those groups before, so from the viewpoint of non-idol fans, these actresses don't have that big of a 'former-XXX' label to them.

I'm not saying that being in a popular group doesn't help at all, but I think expecting old fans to follow through isn't the right way to go. Ideally you should be able to use your popularity to get booked for outside jobs related to your future career before graduation, and use these jobs to gain a proper foothold there. Convince people who are not into 'XXX the idol' and make them fans of 'XXX the actress / singer / etc.' These are the people who will still be your fans after graduation, not people who are fans of 'XXX the idol'.

Though it is easily said than done. Essentially you need to have both the opportunities and ability to do two jobs well. It's a tall order for both you and your manager / agency. I'd say not even Acchan and Yuko had established a very stable acting career before graduating... But then, it is a very long road ahead. Even if they don't make it immediately after graduation, they still have time to work towards that success. We say now that the most successful AKB graduate is Kawaei, but 30 years later it may be someone who never sold out a single handshake slot throughout her idol days. Who knows. :awesome:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. innosu

innosu Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    小嶋真子
    [OK, this was written before the above post was posted, but since I already wrote quite a bit I am gonna leave it here]

I don't know --- I don't think it is fair to compare graduated members. AKB48G has really, really big presence in both Japan and international news.

Nakamura Mariko have a very successful career as a news caster. Of course people don't usually who is your newscaster, but that is not an unsuccessful career.

While TakaMina want to be a singer, I also think she has a successful career as a variety talent.

Kojima Haruna is one of the bigger-name model since before she leave AKB, and she continues to do so.

I believe Maeda Atsuko can be big name too -- but she is really picky on her works so she isn't really in 'mainstream' drama. She seems to enjoy her career a lot and that's all that really matter isn't it?

Kojima Natsuki gets a steady stream of stage play role. Is that 'successful?'

People do follow them after graduation, but they will and do fade away from non-Japanese media. And AKB48 is very, very, very easy to follow, so any other career and fans will definitely have problem following. And the name 'ex-AKB48' do carries quite some weight in Japanese entertainment world, too.

It's never easy to survive in entertainment world. But you can't really compare 'successful' to AKB48G -- AKB48G is on another different level. And some jobs will just not get the same level of recognition anyway.

-----------------
    One of the easy path --- fashion and model. But you really, really need external agency to do that, and it's tall order those day. [I can rant on this point forever, but that's not the point here]

Kojima Haruna has an established career in fashion and modelling before graduating.

Kato Rena and Kojima Mako is following in the same path, and I think those two could graduate tomorrow and their career would most likely be fine.

Shinoda Mariko is... an exception I guess? But she doesn't really have established career before graduating.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    I wish Sayaka would revive Mad Catz, her old pop punk band before she joined NMB48 but seems she's going a soloist.

17. Matsui Hikari

Matsui Hikari Future Girls Stage48 Donor

I swear we’ve had this discussion like 10 billion times

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Ririe

Ririe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nagatomo Ayami
    Too bad managment didn't push her more while they could. She could have been a superstar. She'll definitly have a great career as a dentist though, she always seemed so passionnate.

• Like Like x 2
  19. sc89

sc89 Member Studio48 Contributor

Oshimen:
    Yamamoto Ayaka
    Maybe Yoshida Akari too. She is an interesting case because while she has an agency (Yoshimoto), my impression is that her becoming a popular vlogger wasn't really her agency's idea. Yoshimoto probably still helps her get more outside jobs after her breakthrough though.

I wonder if more Nogi members will pursue this path after graduation as this is Nogi's image to an extent and quite a lot of their members have had some experience in this area. But yeah you usually need a good agency if you want to continue that career post-graduation. :\ I don't follow Nogi enough so I don't know how much agency support they usually have.

20. x_AozoraKataomoi_x

x_AozoraKataomoi_x Member

Oshimen:
    takeisara
    Twitter:
    X2783
    Younger ones: Yoshimoto Miyu, Sonohara Arisa, Ikema Natsumi