1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

NGT48 Assault Case

Discussion in 'General NGT48 Discussion' started by Cisalpine88, Jan 9, 2019.

1. lunakitten

lunakitten Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

I think moving forward, I would dismiss the member(s) that gave away the address. Even if it wasn't done with bad intent (which I personally think it was) it's shows a lack of consideration to other members and put them in harm's way and how can the group move forward with those people still in it.

If there are members that weren't dismissed but are bullying / making mean comments I would ask and see what incidents have occured. If a member had made one or two snide comments depending on the comments I would either give a final warning type deal or demote them to KKS. If there was enough people saying that a member is routinely mean then I would dismiss them too. I don't think it's an excuse but sometimes people say things in the moment and if it's just a one time thing I think maybe those members should be given a chance to change. But I have no time for those that continually bully others.

That's what I would do moving forward. People are going to continue the witch hunt so why not just make it open and deal with it. If they didn't want it out in the open they should have dealt with it a month ago but I think the cat is out of the bag now.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tuxedo_gin

tuxedo_gin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    onishimomoka
    To be fair, though, warrants are almost trivial to get, and prosecutors and police work hand in hand - they are on the same team. All the prosecutor has to do is agree with the police assessment and then they have three weeks to decide whether or not to prosecute. That's why Japan's conviction rate is something like 98%. If the case isn't rock solid in three weeks they just decline to prosecute and it doesn't count as a loss. The police spend those three weeks doing pretty infamous interrogations to get a confession.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheHitch

TheHitch Kenkyuusei

Basically, Matsumura from AKS took the position of letting the police make a statement (supposing they will) about what went down that day and that will be pretty much the information we will get.

Then whatever the police is not concerned about, or can't corroborate, or imply doesn't find worth mentioning won't find it's way into that possible statement with the investigation results, and I think it is close to a safe bet to say that NGT management won't talk about or discuss anything outside of the contents of that possible police statement.

I don't know if there will be any police statement or if the management is just simply waiting for the police to say: "Keep walking everybody, nothing to see here, move along..."

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

This "we're waiting for the police" schtick and the "we're setting up a commission" deal are just stalling tactics because they think fans will just forget if they leave it go long enough. But this time, I don't think they will, this is just too big.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

^I guess we will “wait and see”. :^^;:

6. GATX105

GATX105 Member

I think you're mixing up criminal prosecution versus the damages aspect of a criminal act or a separate civil suit so the first point is incorrect. I think this is a bit outside your expertise? (kpop)

Re charge, we were talking about being formally charged with an offense meaning a criminal case was filed against you by a prosecutor and not charged as in charged synonymous to accused of an offense. When you're arrested the police have to inform you what you are being "charged of accused" of. So same word two different meanings although the formal charge is what is usually referred to by charge. In this case, the suspects were released without being charged meaning no criminal case was filed against them. And yes assault is a crime and the whole point of a trial is to determine whether you are guilty or not -- you're not automatically guilty when you're arrested. Also, it's possible to detain a suspect for a limited time without being arrested.

There's also warrantless arrests (not applicable here) and detention of suspects both of which do not need a warrant. Police can detain suspects/suspicious people for questioning. This has practical implications for when there is no time to obtain a warrant from a judge such as when the incident is at night or during weekends when there's no court schedule or if there is high risk of flight. The difference is you're not being arrested, just detained for questioning or on suspicion of committing or about to commit a crime, and there's a short time limit on how long you can be detained.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. TheHitch

TheHitch Kenkyuusei

There are still people out there demanding management to unveil more details about what happened, to have them name-drop the members involved and what was the nature of their involvement in all of this. That statement right there by management evidences their refusal to unveil any information they may have that might be unflattering to NGT by smartly relaying any responsibility of divulging any details of what happened to the police which is concerned in making statements only about what can be corroborated and is proven to be illegal.

The way the police may filter information that doesn't concern the legal system will give management the escape door to say: "the police found no wrong doing, we won't make any more statements" and thus leaving those important questions we all have unanswered. Of course, that will be completely dependent to how "descriptive" the police statement results in the end, if we even get one.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  8. GATX105

GATX105 Member

Unfortunately, the prosecution needs to look at "beyond reasonable doubt" for a conviction. Otherwise, it is what exactly happened which is preventing maho from closing her door and putting a hand in her face trying to push her down. The defense can suggest she was not being pushed/grabbed too roughly as she was able to fend off two male attackers that were bigger than her -- which is still an offense but much lighter without a more malicious intent. How about wanting to get her autograph to give to a sick friend or a friend's birthday? Sounds like the dog ate my homework excuse but the point is there are plausible even though less probable possibilities that can be presented to the prosecutor.

However, I think management does not need proof beyond reasonable doubt that the law does and can base their actions on lesser standards of evidence.

Btw, were they inside the room? Maho was trying to close the door but was stopped right? And one of her thoughts was that she was going to get dragged inside her apartment. So half foot in the doorway or something like that? I wasn't clear on this nuance.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

Only because they got distracted by the elevator doors opening. Who knows what would have happened, things had already escalated by that point, one of them could have hit her to shut her up or something.

From what she said she was closing her apartment door behind her but one of the men grabbed it and forced it open. Then she got grabbed by the face and pushed down. She saw the second man come out of the room opposite so her apartment door was still open and then the second man attacked her, forced her down and covered her mouth so they would have been in the entrance hall just inside her apartment door. At that moment the elevator made a lot of noise and this distracted them enough where she was able to get into the corridor. iirc people had started to come out of the rest of the apartments on the floor so there were neutral witnesses then.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    Story in the South China Post. Nothing much new, but confirms what another poster mentioned:

"A 2016 survey conducted by Japan’s cabinet office found that only 4.3 per cent of rape victims reported their assaults to the police.

Reasons for not reporting the crimes included embarrassment, or a belief they were also “in the wrong”, or that it was “pointless [to address]” the incident, according to a report by The Japan Times."

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east...ired-over-poor-management-ngt48-pop-idol-maho

• Informative Informative x 6
  11. rmn89

rmn89 Member

now that imamura is removed. i guess the only solution is to fired those cancerous mean girls with no proper announcement and let the public make conclusion by ourself. thats gonna be like killing 2 niigata crane birds with one stone(literally). we dont have to point any fingers in their faces and we can give them lessons by not giving them a proper graduation or kabesha taking cermony or whatevs. just plain rude just how they were. :D

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. ET920

ET920 Member

So, did they rent the room next to Maho's or not? Because it doesn't make sense for them to attack her if they were next door, they could have acted as good neighbours to get to chat with her.

• Creative Creative x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. GATX105

GATX105 Member

@Reveen
    Thanks for clarifying -- so just outside her apartment door and not inside the apartment.

I completely agree that it was more than likely to have escalated. But if actual intent cannot be established beyond reasonable doubt, then sadly as far as the law is concerned, you can't be convicted for what else might have happened, only for what actually happened. So attempted rape or attempted other crimes cannot be sustained.

But again, management is not held to such high standards of evidence. Just wanted to emphasize this point. And in deciding what to do with negligently giving out personal information, what might have happened should be considered.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tuxedo_gin

tuxedo_gin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    onishimomoka
    I don't think that is happening. The wota uproar is starting to die down and the majority seem to be satisfied with the management change. There just isn't enough sustained pressure from fans for management to act against any big money makers, especially ones with such strong connections.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

More like just inside the apartment door but not fully inside the apartment.

Probably not. But there's sureley of assault, especially if a prosecutor put together a good case and cared enough to prosecute it.

Indeed. Well negligently or maliciously giving out maho's info, whichever way one chooses to interpret it. Suffice to say that NGT can't continue in the state it's in.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. souchan48

souchan48 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    say it louderrr

• Old Old x 5
  17. nogi_keya_sela

nogi_keya_sela Kenkyuusei

• Like Like x 3
  18. Navicon46

Navicon46 Kenkyuusei

I seriously doubt it.

Early reports had stated that NGT had rented the entire floor for out-of-town members.

IIRC the "attackers rented the room next door" idea was first presented by Bunshun which means its 100% bullshit.

• Agree Agree x 15
  19. GATX105

GATX105 Member

Well, there are different levels of assault and the defense can also put up a good plausible argument. Ex. they just wanted to keep the door open and were exerting just enough force to keep maho from closing the door. And back it up by pointing out that there were no injuries and she was able to "easily" repel two bigger and stronger attackers. There would be character window dressing too like no previous offense, attestations of good character, parents willing to guaranty behavior, saying everyone makes mistakes and deserves a second chance, yada yada.

Of course it's up to the prosecutor to decide whether to file a criminal case but he/she also has to consider other more heinous cases that need his time and probably more importantly for his office (the chief prosecutor has to sign off on a prosecutor's decision to file charges), that 99% conviction rate.

And 100% agree that NGT can't continue in the state it's in so I'm really hoping more things are planned even if behind the scenes. As some people here have been pointing out, there's quite a bit of evidence against 1-2 members which need to be refuted more strongly than a simple denial imo.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
  20. Qas

Qas Kenkyuusei

https://contents.xj-storage.jp/xcontents/AS00463/461d0fe2/1c1c/4112/b49b/035032147938/20190115092512452s.pdf

It's not dying down. Things are kicking into higher gear. Say hello to the attacking sponsors phase of the public being pissed at a corporation.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1