1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

NGT48 Assault Case

Discussion in 'General NGT48 Discussion' started by Cisalpine88, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Taka22

Taka22 Member

Oshimen:
    satoshiori
  2. lionel90

lionel90 Under Girls

Twitter:
    Lionel_90
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Me @ NHK

if the video does not show watch the video here

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. wetpantsu

wetpantsu Upcoming Girls

Ok fine, I had no idea she was asked that specifically so that changes things a little. I thought she was just asked what her dreams for the SSK were in general. Minaeshi has said everything else I wanted to say wrt her so I will not speak of her any further.

• Old Old x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bonjourmarlene

bonjourmarlene Under Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    小林蘭
    Twitter:
    curioushitomi
    I would argue that saying "sorry I worried you because I had a fever" is on a different scale than "sorry I worried you because I let you know that I was physically attacked." Plenty of other members have also pointed out that Maho shouldn't have apologised (like Sasshi, saying the staff should have stopped her from apologising) and fans all around the world have said she shouldn't have apologised. So it was not kind of expected - management should have apologised, never Maho or any of the girls on stage (besides the one who were involved in one way or another, but then again they shouldn't apologise for causing fans to worry).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dirkkun

Dirkkun Kenkyuusei

7. primermicarrucha

primermicarrucha Future Girls

i never really thought much of it before, but there's this expression she sometimes has that's kind of scary and clashes with her goofball persona(lity). but considering some of the things that have happened lately and the connections she has with... certain types, it feels like something dark could be lurking beneath the surface. maybe she just has Resting "I'm plotting your demise" Face?
    -csoiaelmGuarv8HkDOUmgbiaXo_eMvnDyVKXin3KZc_edited.jpg
    don't get me wrong, though. i'm just trying to figure out her behavior. maybe she's totally naive and hasn't thought to distance herself from certain people, but you'd think at the very least her agency would've brought it to her attention.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    • Agree x 7
    • Like x 4
    • Dislike x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Winner x 1
  8. DavidSorvino

DavidSorvino Kenkyuusei

She definitely has a “look”. You are not alone in getting that impression. Still, even when believing all the netizen speculation, she seems to be tangential to the specific assault case.

9. Cisalpine88

Cisalpine88 Next Girls

Twitter:
    speranzom
    So to recap the fallout that happened over just a couple of days:
    - AEON Retail outright terminating the contract for their TV commercials.
    - Japan Railway East Japan Niigata stating they are putting the renewal of their advertisement contract on hold, while the contract is effectively terminated for now.
    - The Prefecture also putting on hold the contract renewal for their appointment as special sponsors for the National Culture Festival, saying they'll be thinking up about it.
    Now, according to today's issue of Niigata Nippo:
    D2xGsYAU8AAiNTQ.jpg large.jpg
    - Contract as Minami-ku PR ambassadors put on hold from April onwards.
    - The City of Niigata is going to delete the promotional videos featuring the members from their homepage by the end of the month, on the section about firefighter recruitment campaign and migration (U Turn/I Turn) promotion campaign, stating also that "After reflecting about the current situation, we have judged it cannot be said that the city's people are being supportive of them, so we have come to rethink about the contract for the moment".
    - NGT48's appointment as "special crew" for the 150th anniversary of the Niigata Port will continue, but they won't be selected for the events.
    - In addition, Japan Railway East Japan Niigata's CEO, told on the reason they will stop using advertisements after April: "We don't feel like employing them on, even to the point of facing right against the public's direction with that. For the future, we'd like to pay careful attention to the next events and then consider matters."

---
    This is something I already had a hunch about, but it's pretty obvious that, in the management's mind, the idea all along was to rush out a report document just on time before the end of the fiscal year, regardless of what mess it would turn out to be, so they could have a proof they did something to wave in front of the investors and be in a condition to stipulate a renewal for another year, after all.

This was more important to them than shedding light on how things could have led to such an incident, or even declaring that the members mentioned were not co-agents in the case, for that matter.
    Again, the part about the case's examinations amounts to nothing more than a comparison between pre-available testimonies (in the case of the culprits, this is only voice data Maho was careful enough to have recorded beforehand), ending in a recap combining them all (although faithful to Maho's account, as far as the assault itself is concerned), and concluding with a strictly hypotetical observation on how the culprits could have done it even without being in contact with members. This all the while ignoring that, as it turned out, they even shared other buildings with some.

The part about the background of the incident, the assistance which the management claim to have provided, or even the details on the living conditions that the management has put the members into, especially when it comes to housing, is completly unexplained, despite their promise to have done it.
    Hardly something that can be called reassuring or convincing, both for the member's families and for the sponsors willing to throw money at them.

Then there's a whole different issue about weekly tabloids leaking stories to the outside for the whole month of January, which turned out to be distorted toward the opposite direction, something to be considered grave especially when it's in the context of a case where the very leak of private informations to outsiders was at the basis of the incident itself.
    Interesting how the management was so fast to complaint with Tokyo Sports about the story on the duct tape, but remained suspiciously silent about the stories being spread on the likes of Bunshun instead, since it benefited them.
    Not for nothing, some reporter poignantly brought up the fact in the conference, with Matsumura reacting (or pretending to be) dumbfounded at the question:
    記者4:一部メディアに今村さんとのメールの文面が流出していたとは思うんですけども、そういう対策、その事実関係とかその対策とか、山口さん自身はいったい誰だとか、メンバーじゃないかとか思ってしまうと思うんですよ、絶対に。つながりがあるとしたらすごい不安だと思いますし。
    Reporter #4: It seems that the text of such mails from Imamura were leaked to some media outlets. Regarding the chain of events and the measures taken to address it. I imagine even Yamaguchi herself must find herself wondering, for sure, who could have been [to leak it], if maybe it was a member. If there are cases of consorting, I find that represents a cause of great uneasiness.

Matsumura was a complete disaster at the press conference, but at least he wasn't clueless enough not to realize that if he were to take the report's conclusions as accurate and attribute the cause of the incident on the "peculiarities of Niigata", as I told before, it would have meant every local sponsor pulling the plug at once. Hence why he couldn't help denying it being the case over and over throughout it, right from the introduction.
    And yeah, some journalists were fast to point out to him if denying a part of the report and confirming another wasn't an example of double standard.

But in the end they chose sweeping scandal under the rug for over a month, to keep themselves from losing money. They chose profit over transparency.
    With the only result that they couldn't even get any of that. No offense, but serves them right.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 20
    • Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. wetpantsu

wetpantsu Upcoming Girls

Why is this so funny lmfao. NGT girls really gonna be nugget dispensers for the rest of their lives huh.

• Like Like x 2
    • Old Old x 2
  11. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    NanJ has made an English translation of the report:
    https://nanjnews.blogspot.com/2019/03/section-2.html

Some parts raise mistranslation flags, but it should be good enough for an overview, just don't put too much weight on any specific wording (or subject pronouns).

One interesting thing is that the criminals first told her that members were involved in an attempt to calm her down and prove they just wanted to "talk", immediately after the assault was interrupted by someone coming off the elevator. When she then took them down to the nearby park and grilled them about who was involved, they vacillated on their original claims:

I've thought this since I noticed where Maho got the idea from, but this again makes it more likely it was a cover story they made up on the spot either to seem less threatening (boy did that backfire if so) or to conceal their real sources. But Maho, perhaps because of past experiences in NGT or her previous idol groups, took it a very different way, and fixated on the members allegedly involved. (And it can't be called anything other than a fixation: she cares more about them than she does about any other aspect of this case.)

----------------------

It's a bit longer than that, and takes into account a few more details than just the members themselves denying involvement, including that no other member interviewed provided any evidence of those members' (or any members') involvement in the assault. (Quoted in part immediately above)
    Granted that given how the suspects claim they were involved, it would be nearly impossible to prove one way or another. But this is where I have to, where everyone should, err on the side of innocence rather than assuming guilt.

• Dislike x 10
    • Disagree x 8
    • Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  12. primermicarrucha

primermicarrucha Future Girls

that's exactly why i've been thinking about this. hers was the only name being thrown around that initially surprised me. so i have to wonder... why is she publicly associating so closely with these members whose idol ethos clash directly with hers? aren't ogiyuka's ethos more in line with maho's? why are they not closer, and why are B and C (?) not mocking ogiyuka for her "pure idol" schtick the way they have maho? it doesn't add up for me. is it because they know it's an act, and for maho it's serious?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. sambelteri12

sambelteri12 Next Girls

I've been become silent reader for so long about this case, but lets make your assumption more laughable. Who's the innocent here? Your NGT48's oshi or Yamaguchi?

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Tuhis

Tuhis Member

Oshimen:
    Furuhata Nao
    Both? I understood he means that if there is reasonable doubt about guilt, then one should be considered not guilty. Nothing laughable about that principle IMO.

Of course that applies to proper trials only, not trials by Internet. Also, Private organizations and people are free to choose who to associate or do business with.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  15. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    Is it that difficult for you to comprehend the answer is both? (Also, before somewhere last summer or fall they were the same person.)

They didn't mock Maho for hers before the incident either. Well, at least Ayakani didn't.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  16. sambelteri12

sambelteri12 Next Girls

Yes, both. Lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. ysa73

ysa73 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Rissen Airi
    correct me if it's not related. kitarie posted this, their latest single title: [correction from dirkunn: 2nd latest, i casually overlooked people in the world]
    k.jpg
    'where does spring come from...'

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jurinavenclaw

Jurinavenclaw Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Matsui Jurina
    This is such a mess and I feel bad for the innocent NGT girls.

I was just wondering, what exactly could have management done during the last press conference that could have saved NGT from all this mess and start going back to normal?

Should they have forced graduated all the girls who were found to had contact with fans outside work?

What if none of the girls really were involved with the assault that transpired (Im not really sure if this can be true but lets just say they were all really innocent about it and Maho really was mistaken)?

Its just difficult to understand why would management protect any involved members (if they really were guilty) to the extent that the group is losing investors and gigs left and right.

And oh, is Inapooh banned in 48G events now? He is banned in 46G right?

• Like Like x 3
  19. ysa73

ysa73 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Rissen Airi
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ethereallimbo

ethereallimbo Kenkyuusei

If I had to guess...

1) Management themselves are clueless which members are guilty or not, and to what extent. Imagine being a parent, your children are having a fight but you weren't present when it happened. So it's a he said, she said situation. That's why they're confused on who to punish so instead they're opting not to punish anyone instead.

2) Even if they wanted to punish someone... we just found out that 12 members' names popped out who seemingly had inappropriate fan relationships. That's a large amount. Do you punish them all? Should only the members involved with this case be punished? Since I doubt all 12 are involved. But then you're leaving the others unpunished for the same thing. No one wants lopsided or biased judging. Should they all be punished to the same degree or it depends on what they did? And how do you decide what deserves a demotion, graduation, etc?

3) Now that it has become such a public secret and huge issue, punishing someone now means revealing them to the public and turning them into a target. You'd be confirming the public's suspicions. You don't want the girls to be branded for life. While dumb, inviting fans to your room / apartment complex, I don't think becoming a target for the public's hate is an appropriate punishment. As a counter you can say that because no names are revealed you're allowing the hate to fester to unrelated members like Ogiyuka, the entire group NGT48 and even the entire 48g franchise. You're letting paranoia / conspiracy fester.

The optimal solution might have been to quietly demote Ayakani/Gatanee before Maho whistle-blowed. I assume she wants those two disciplined most.

What NGT48 can do now... huh, one option could be to demote all 12 members. Because it's a large amount the "hate" will be spread out, divided. Instead of targeted towards one or two people. That aside, most importantly, stop quarantining Maho. Let her participate in HS events. Let her give a press conference. Public opinion is solidly on Maho's side so public won't be satisfied until Maho is.

• Like x 10
    • Agree x 7
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Old x 1