1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

IZONE News and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Idol Emporium' started by ForrestFuller, Aug 31, 2018.

1. broz0rs

broz0rs Next Girls

Oshimen:
    sashihararino
    You can't be serious to say EXO and BB had a big enough fandom in the US to even let them chart in Billboard. What gives you any inclination that they had a presence in the US? They never even did a small venue show here. If they did have a decent presence, shows like Ellen and James Corden would have invited them a long time ago.

BTS is the most successful group, and has the biggest fandom in the history of Kpop. Just looking at their results, they've surpassed every Kpop landmark even those of the legendary OT5 DBSK. There's nothing wrong for international fans to buy US iTunes. That is not "rigging" that is ARMY getting together to achieve a common goal (Billboard Top 200)

I'll give you an example. Since you're aware of Billboard 200, let's just use that. Please don't use Kathy Griffin lol

Artist: Post Malone - BBB
    Peak: 1
    Weeks on chart: 51
    Mainstream

Artist: Bohemian Rhapsody Soundtrack
    Peak: 2
    Weeks on chart: 26
    Mainstream

Artist: BlackPink - KILL THIS LOVE
    Peak: 24
    Weeks on chart: 2
    NOT Mainstream

BLINKS got together and boosted the sales of KTL in the US to give them a respectable debut. Even with Coachella, they will probably fall out of top 100 next week. The artists who are mainstream chart for a long time. It's the same with radio. Looking at BTS chart history on Billboard, I wouldn't consider them mainstream in the US yet either. Their last single IDOL dropped out of the Top 100 in just three weeks even with a top 10 debut.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. Akusaiko

Akusaiko Future Girls

what are you guys discuss, just cuz BTS and BP got US debut, there's no need for others artist and izone to go that far to get success:fear: chill, the time is running out so fast for them, it might got relevant to be discuss if they converted to permanent group, which likely the most difficult to realized as more members been linked with their agency new GG lineup, a reminder of ioi " tragic" fate after disbanded:fp:

3. welp

welp Next Girls

Show Champion Behind. You can listen to their Violeta encore in full here. The video quality is poor though.

if the video does not show watch the video here

Years of experience? That's a stupid way to bluff. I have followed K-pop long enough to see Baby V.O.X Re.V when it debuted. I was not a fan back then but came across it as I kinda followed East Asian pop news. Yet, I will never call myself an expert. They are those who have been into K-pop much shorter but much deeper than me, trainees/ex-trainees, those who have personal contacts with Korean fansite masters etc.

I've never been to USA but, I have seen dozens Americans commented differently.

Mainstream? What is mainstream? To me, mainstream means I regular see K-pop news reported on mainstream media, can see 1 or more ads of K-pop idol endorsers during popular local tv shows, can hear K-pop songs in convenient stores/shopping malls now and then.

It's said to walk in a downtown of Korea is a more precise way to gauge idol's popularity among general public. Yet, we have to aware of song genre. The like of 'Kill This Love' may be not as befitting to play in cafes or restaurants as 'I Wanna Be a Cat'.

Eew. Let's not mention this trash.

4. humbal

humbal Next Girls

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. anakdekan

anakdekan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Angelina Christy
    Twitter:
    anakdekan
    • Like Like x 3
  6. theobserver

theobserver Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Takahashi Juri-Miyawaki Sakura
    Please keep coming south !

:((((((

7. mdo7

mdo7 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    mikedo2007
    This is where I will ask you this question: How long have you been a K-pop fan? So you forgot about Big Bang winning the MTV EMA back in 2011.

Sounds like you don't know anything about Big Bang and EXO. Because where were you when Glee was giving Big Bang a bit of attention:

Yeah, that's not a coincidence when this same song was used in a trailer for Pitch Perfect 2:

So why was Fantastic Baby used for those occasion. Also don't tell me you didn't know about Big Bang's 2 of world tour sold out in the US. Their 2nd world tour, Made sold out in the US. They even got a lot of critical acclaim review from mainstream media like Billboard and Vibe. Oh and did you forget about G-Dragon being the face of Chanel:

Now I'm not a fashion guy, but if you're a K-pop idol and you take part in Chanel fashion line, then that is quite significant. Let me put it in another word: It should've been possible for Big Bang to have topped Billboard 200, and to this day I keep wondering why they didn't despite the sold out world tour, their album got a lot of rave review, and G-dragon being the face of Chanel. That should've made Big Bang reached no.1 on Billboard 200. A lot of VIPs were baffled why Big Bang couldn't reach no.1 on Billboard 200 when BTS can.

About EXO, I guess you didn't watch their interview from Iheartradio:

Even Lay was interview recently on Iheartradio.

EXO got a lot of attention for their performance at the Winter Olympic:

There is no way people in the US would've not taken notice of EXO performance when this was broadcasted. Even one of EXO music got played on US radio randomly from time to time. You forgot to mention that EXO's last album ranked high on Billboard 200. I guarantee their next album may reach no.1 on BB200 chart in the near future.

Just like Big Bang, it should've been possible for EXO to have reached no.1 on Billboard 200 chart. Even to this day I had Exo-Ls asking me and other K-pop fans, why didn't EXO topped the Billboard 200 despite having a larger fanbase then BTS in North America. They had more fanbases in North America then BTS before BTS reach no.1 on Billboard 200. Both Big Bang and EXO should've been able to top the Billboard 200 chart that easily given their prolific achievements I listed.

Why not? What if your favorite American celebrity surprise you with his/her tweet about K-pop. Wouldn't you make a big deal about it?

That doesn't mean anything to me. You can say Post Malone is mainstream, but that doesn't mean I know who he is or everybody listen to his music. Here's my argument that being on Billboard chart even singing in English doesn't equal mainstream:

ZAC BROWN BAND EARN TOP 10 SPOT ON ‘BILLBOARD’ MAINSTREAM ROCK SONGS CHART

A band called Zac Brown Band made it on Billboard Mainstream Rock songs chart, and yet I never heard of them. Just because a band topped Billboard mainstream rock songs doesn't mean or guarantee that I've heard of this band. You argued that K-pop is not mainstream, yet Zac Brown Band topped Billboard Mainstream Rock chart and yet I never heard of them. So one of your argument about what's mainstream fall a little short.

Here's another article that I'm going to use to counter your argument:

Latin Music Is Now More Popular Than Country & EDM In America

Now the article from Forbes claim that Latin Music is more popular then Country and EDM music. So does that mean that Latin music is mainstream? One can argue yes, the other argument is nope. To be honest, I know Luis Fonsi because of Despacito. But I never heard of other Latin and Reggaeton act like Don Omar, and Daddy Yankee. Hell, I didn't know who Leslie Grace was until she collaborated with Super Junior.

Just because they're mainstream doesn't mean everybody knows them. You can spend many time arguing with me if K-pop is mainstream or not mainstream in the US. But I've observed and watched K-pop, it's not a niche thing like it was back in 1996, 2001, or 2009.

As I asked: What is mainstream? How do you define mainstream in America?

Uh yeah, experience with K-pop is important. Because if a K-pop fan/veteran was reading your post, they would laugh at you and question your knowledge just like what I'm doing. So you admit you're not an expert, that's going to make K-pop fan and experts at K-pop question your credibility.

You've never been to the USA, and yet you relied on the word of a dozen Americans. You realized that a dozen American talking to you doesn't represent the whole view of America.

That's like a person claiming he has a big knowledge in Islam because he learn about it from ISIS and Al-Qaeda. Or that's like claiming you're a lawyer because you watched a lot of Law & Order. Talking to a dozen American online does not make you an expert in the US.

Would you like it if I made some racist stereotype about your country and your people? I don't think you wouldn't.

Oh, so what do you call this:

Mattel Unveils BTS Doll Collection

And if you're still skeptical on K-pop visibility in the US. Maybe you should read this, ever watch NCIS or it's spin-off:

NCT Dream Gets Surprise Shout-Out on 'NCIS: New Orleans' (2nd source)

NCIS make 2nd K-pop name-drop now using Zico of Block B and B.I of iKON (2nd source)

NCIS is a long-running TV franchise in the USA. And yet they name-drop and make reference to K-pop 2 times late of last year and this year. The 2nd time they name-drop K-pop, they used a lesser well-known K-pop idol instead of NCT or BTS. Why would the writer on NCIS use Zico and B.I since both of them aren't even household name in the US or don't have the same recognition as BTS, or Blackpink? Why use random lesser well-known K-pop idol in a mainstream American show if your audience aren't K-pop fans?

One can argue this looks like deliberate pandering to K-pop fandom. and this isn't the first time Hollywood pander to K-pop fanbase. What Hollywood is doing to K-pop fanbase is just like what they did to Mainland China.

So @welp and @broz0rs I'm asking you again: What is mainstream, and how do you define mainstream in the US?

If you're talking about his girlfriend surname Choi. She kinda lie and was charged with attempted fraud and defamation. If you don't want me to bring up Kim Hyun Joong, then don't mention Baby V.O.X Re.V on this same thread. Baby V.O.X Re.V can never lived up to the original Baby V.O.X in term of name and their legacy on K-pop. Creating Baby V.O.X Re.V itself was an insult to the original Baby V.O.X members.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  8. lionel90

lionel90 Under Girls

Twitter:
    Lionel_90
    Hmmmm don't we have a Hallyu thread for this kind of debate ?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Akusaiko

Akusaiko Future Girls

i thought we forbid other unrelated link and VID of other group except IZ*ONE here, please restrain yourself, want promoting unnecessary info that unrelated to IZ*ONE, go to other else thread or create a new one, the debate is a mess:fear::fear::fear:

10. theobserver

theobserver Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Takahashi Juri-Miyawaki Sakura
    I offer a peace offering

unnie jinjja nice body

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. ZGhostRiderZ

ZGhostRiderZ Kenkyuusei

IZ*ONE is unstoppable in Korea and Japan right now, they don't need to follow any other group to promote in US because the US market does not suit them. And I come here to read news about IZ*ONE, not other K-pop groups. Please go somewhere like K-pop forum in general to discuss about it, not in here.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Riot1

Riot1 Next Girls

Mobidic - IZ*ONE City Teaser (190502)

13. EinhanderX

EinhanderX Next Girls

@mdo7 , @welp ,@broz0rs I believe you folks can continue your passionate discussion on private?

It's great and all. But I don't see any mention of Izone included there.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. welp

welp Next Girls

The capacity of MCC Hall Bangkapi is like 3,000, usually used for fanmeets. It will be a ticket war.

I don't remember if it has been posted.
    [dead link]

DELETED MATERIAL.
    YOU WERE TOLD TO TAKE THIS DISCUSSION ELSEWHERE.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2020
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Akusaiko

Akusaiko Future Girls

16. mdo7

mdo7 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    mikedo2007
    I apologize for going off topic, but the ignorance from some users make me face-palm.

EDIT: Anyway back on topic, just saw this from Soompi: IZ*ONE Reveals Each Other’s Sleeping Habits And More

And I'll quote the article in case if some of you don't want to open up a link to read:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  17. welp

welp Next Girls

Oh I forgot that Twice would have a concert stop in Thailand on June 15. This may be why IZ*One concert will be hold in a small venue. IZ*One largely shares fans with Twice and most shared fans may not be able to attend both concerts, have to pick one.

Yena channels her Pink Panda (A Pink fan) self in TMI

I guess Nako visualised herself dancing next to Nayeon watching Yena and Bomi.

• Like Like x 2
  18. biboloxo

biboloxo Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    One of the biggest benefits for us fans when IZ*ONE is a K-pop group: a large amount of subbers, not to mention the broadcast stations do it themselves. ;))

And here is Happy Together feature Wonyoung and Minju with Engsub from KBSWorld channel:

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. bonjourmarlene

bonjourmarlene Under Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    小林蘭
    Twitter:
    curioushitomi
    Damn always such a shame when you miss pointless arguing.

It seems that the J-line is in Japan at the moment and celebrating Golden Week, relaxing at home. I think they really deserve it after all the effort they've put into the HEART*IZ promo era. I'm still waiting for further episodes of Everyone's Kitchen to get subs :(

Does anyone know any source besides IZSUBS that has undertaken the project? They're a bit slow, which I don't blame them for, but I really want to watch the show

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 13.03.55.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2019
  20. Titan3

Titan3 Member

Oshimen:
    kojimamako
    RevelupSubs, the Red Velvet sub group, said they were going to do the Wendy episode.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2