1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

NGT48 Assault Case

Discussion in 'General NGT48 Discussion' started by Cisalpine88, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    Every single culture has its flaws, and Japanese culture is no exception. It's not so much that we should allow this to slide since our own cultures are flawed in their own ways as well, but this seems like something they need to address as a society, desperately. I just wish enough people had such self-awareness. Best case scenario, this should push new generations to be committed to addressing problems head-on. Wouldn't that be lovely.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. vshav

vshav Member

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Kotoko
    I am surprised AKS was hold 100% by only a single person.. for real?? What kind of person is she to have so much power?

• Like Like x 2
  3. chrissirhc

chrissirhc Member

Oshimen:
    yamaguchimaho
    one person with overwhelming public support social media has changed the game

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Cisalpine88

Cisalpine88 Next Girls

Twitter:
    speranzom
    Oh, it's a funny, little convoluted story that happened behind the scenes.
    Actually, that gives me the opportunity to repost here the translation of an article from a specialized publication that happened to be written just days before Maho, Riko and Rena's graduation stage was to be held.
    I'm surprised since the economic and political background/motivations behind Akimoto and AKS president Yoshinari is info that is hardly, if ever, divulged so openly without a gossip-like element to it. Some of that actually came as news to me. Like I told somewhere else, the article strays a bit off topic with the observations by the end, which you can ignore, but the third and fourth paragraphs are where the relevant bits are concentrated.

AKB and their strategy for worldwide domination

Yoshikawa Keiichi
    (Global Issues Institute CEO)

There still is no conclusion is sight for the series of issues revolving around the Niigata branch of the AKB Group family. And there's many people who wonder aloud if the AKB Group will be driven into dissolution if the situation keeps on. However, one cannot help but ask if inside this situation there's also a big self-staged part to it, all in order for Akimoto to put in action AKB's strategy of worldwide domination. As such, I want to explain a bit in that regard.

To put it clear, the management agency of the AKB Group family, AKS, was something established at first by Akimoto and several of his own friends. It can't be denied that in the past careers of these friends of his there was a murky side to it. But thanks to this, it could be said that the AKS from the origins did succeed in the traditional purpose of an entertainment firm, that is to rope people into an out-of-the-ordinary world through surprises, and thus setting their minds free.

However, from 2013 the AKB Group family became too big for its own good, and with it the management thereof ended up suffering hindrances. That was, perhaps, especially felt in the economic department. It is at this point that AKS asked for economic aid from the pachinko machine maker Kyoraku, which had already been handling joint projects together with them since before. Nevertheless, even Kyoraku had no sufficient surplus in the way of funds. At this point, Kyoraku too on their part asked for contributions from the Yoshinari family, which is in a position of power as the owners and investors of an affiliated company of theirs, the prominent videogame company Success. In the process, Natsuko, the eldest daughter of the Yoshinari family then became the owner of 100% of AKS's stocks.

From that period on, the way of working of the AKB groups changed, too. Rather than attracting people into an out-of-the-ordinary world with their surprises, emphasis was instead put more on money and how to obtain it -- in the form of subsidy funds or something else -- from the regional governments where the branch groups are located. Along with it, AKB lost what made it interesting in terms of entertainment, and so fans also started decreasing in number.

It's beyond question that at the origin of the Niigata controversy and other such recent bad episodes related to AKB, there is this aforementioned cause. That means they cannot afford to put into long-term suspension certain girls who are linked to the help funds from the local government of where their branch group is located, or to certain other vested interests for that matter. This is not only limited to Niigata, even speaking of the girl who was involved in the "disaster" that happened in connection with the general elections held in Nagoya, AKS couldn't bring themselves to place her into prolonged suspension either.

It's hard to tell if it's related or not, by judging from that momentary issue alone, but it's from around that time that Akimoto entered negotiations to sell off SKE, a branch group of AKS, to Keyholder, a leading amusement company and subsidiary company of J Trust, which is itself part of the Japanese consortium's international fund. The buy-out was eventually concluded on November 2018. It is reported that at the time a contract was stipulated with Akimoto, whereby he would be required to purchase 3 billion yen worth of stocks in case the individual stock price drops to half (62.5 yen) of what was at the time -- and in exchange for that, should the stock price grow exponentially up to 230 yen he is to be given priority and awarded new stocks. As a side note, Yoshinari only enjoys benefits from Keyholder that are 1/4 of what Akimoto is granted there.

Going by the records of the stock company, it is unlikely that Keyholder's stock prices will ever fall below 62.5 yen or soar up to 230 yen, unless something exceptional happens. Like, for example, if any of their partner companies will go on to be assigned an important commission for the Tokyo Olympics or such...

After Yoshinari became AKS's president, the AKB group increased their overseas branch groups to a disproportionate extent, with a special focus on the countries of South-East Asia. The funds for all this are, in truth, connected to the "Cool Japan Plan" of the Abe political administration, with several billions yen contributed by the Japanese government's budget.

Besides that, when in 2018 Yoshinari Natsuko came to pay a close inspection to the AKB's Shanghai branch group, there were also several influential politicians of the old Democratic Party to accompany her. And moreover, she also engaged in a conference with the leadership authorities of the Chinese Communist party. For one fact, it was indeed during the years of the Democratic Party's administration that the AKB Group family grew big.

The various issues concerning the AKB's branch group in Niigata are problems related to both the human rights of women, and to the protection of the status of workers, yet in spite of that no particularly vocal opinions are being raised either by the Democratic Party or the political opposition, and the reason for it can be glimpsed exactly in that fact.

Also, recently, probably even for issues over tax money, Yoshinari has relocated her residence address to Thailand, where the AKB Group family's branch groups are doing most successfully. Other than that, it is in Cambodia that the top manager of J Trust was arrested for fraud crimes. Furthermore, there's news going around that great sums of money from Akimoto and Yoshinari are being transferred to the subsidiary companies set up by Keyholder in a certain country -- of South-East Asia of course.

Doesn't it seem like that today's controversy involving AKB's branch group in Niigata is a strategy by Akimoto to steal back the direction of the AKB groups from Yoshinari -- or otherwise a battle between Yoshinari and Akimoto, who is himself attempting to mend AKS, too poisoned by vested interests at present, and give the AKB Group family a new start? Could it be that the objective of this all is to have AKB perform at the opening ceremony for the Tokyo Olympics?

Could it be that it's for this purpose that he deemed it more preferable to transfer the AKB groups from AKS, too corrupted by said vested rights, and under the jurisdiction of Keyholder and J Trust? Or to place even more consideration on the collaborations with the overseas branch groups?

Whatever the case, if AKB were to successfully be employed in the performances at the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony, Keyholder's stock price would also likely surpass the 230 yen mark. In doing so, Akimoto would also be able to come into possession of a large sum of money. And that would let him go down in history as the producer of the entertainment enseble that graced the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics, more than he already would.

But is there something bad about it in the end? The overseas branch groups of AKB are, arguably on purpose, expanding exclusively in those countries that are going to be essential for Japan in the next future. Strenghtening the relationships between Japan and those counries and flaunting it to the whole world would prove very important for the international diplomacy of Japan. And even those billions of hard-earned tax money used for this purpose would be best spent, too.

[...]
    Source: http://www.world-economic-review.jp/impact/article1354.html

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 13
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

The financial and organizational history of AKS is something that's never been satisfactorily covered in english iirc, there's a lot to unpack from that article, many thanks for translating it. Of the AKS owners Shiba Kotaru apparently cashed out sometime pre-2012, then Kobuto Yasushi got into financial problems in 2013 and had to sell out which is evidently where Yoshinari got her claws into AKS. Akimoto sold his stake sometime in 2013/14 by which time he was probably making enormous amounts of money from AKB and Nogizaka royalties anyway.

This article made me think about the AKB48 Group Daisokaku Matsuri from February 2014 (which was announced at Request Hour day four on January 26th 2014) which seemed like an anomaly at the time and even more so now with the view from the distance of 5 years. It was announced and organized with indecent haste, indicated by the venue at Zepp Tokyo (AKB being more used to more impressive venues by that time) and rather ramshackle organization of the concert/event itself.

I wonder was the assumption of power by Yoshinari behind this event. It was there that we were introduced to Imamura Etsuro as SKE theater manager and the ritual humiliation of Togasaki being reduced to Customer Center manager and also the demotion of Shiba Tomoya (little brother of Kotaru) from SKE theater manager position to trainee manager. Also there was the appointment of Shinobu as general manager which was pretty much a joke from the start and continued as such. The member reshuffle at this concert was so crap it had to be fixed just a year later at the same concert that led to Imamura being transferred to the NGT theater manager position.

The assumption of yoshinari also seems to coincide with the freezing of member transfers to outside agencies indicating that AKS wanted to hoard any money generated by AKB/SKE/HKT's young stars instead of letting them be developed by outside agencies.

Also in august 2013 we had the infamous announcement that Akimoto was writing new stages for all of the AKB groups teams extant at the time, yet since the changeover of power in AKS only 2 of those stages have been delivered and Akimoto seems to concentrate more on (and be more interested in) the Sakamichi groups and other outside works.

Now all that may be just a heap of coincidences and I've probably gotten a bunch of facts wrong (apologies) but it goes to show how well a properly researched history of AKS is needed to give context to everything that led up to the events in NGT and what led management to behaving in the way it did.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. vshav

vshav Member

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Kotoko
    Thank you, thank you very much for the article. It's so well-written and well-translated. From the fans perspective, we can only see the glimmering lights of the show biz but we don't know much what's happening behind, and how the girls are affected by them.

I wonder if you know the dynamics between AKS and Sony/Sakamichi/Nogizaka LLC/Seed & Flower LLC? The documentary for Nogizaka got 2 names of AKS boards removed from the credits in the website, so that signifies something

7. Puni

Puni Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Twitter:
    puni_2k
    The discussion about Togasakis fall from grace can be found here:
    http://www.stage48.net/forum/index.php?threads/general-the-akb48-thread.180/page-772

The discussion covering the Daisokaku Matsuri and with it Shinobus appointment to General Manager is here:
    http://stage48.net/forum/index.php?threads/daisokaku-matsuri-post-event-discussion.7257/

In general Shinobus appointment was rather positively received.
    Also Togasakis incident (mainly the adultery part) was seen as problematic for the groups image and some people here requested that he be removed from his position.

8. mickwserr

mickwserr Kenkyuusei

the last paragraphs are really something. why would Akimoto steal back the direction of the AKB groups? it's pretty clear he's done with them on a mgmt level, and i'm pretty sure sooner or later he will drop from music producer as well.
    and why people still believe 48G will perform at the Olympics?

9. SaitoWinterStar

SaitoWinterStar Upcoming Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    Some relevant excerpts from my summary for 7/5 https://saitowinterstar.com/archives/314

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. half23

half23 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Shinozaki Ayana
    That money wont restore their brand reputation back

• Agree Agree x 13
  11. chrissirhc

chrissirhc Member

Oshimen:
    yamaguchimaho
    they must be really desperate for money to do something that brings this whole incident more attention just to get it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    They weren't able to handle it properly because of the false statements made by the attackers, and a certain someone seizing on those statements. Without that complication, it would have been a simple matter of prosecuting the culprits. They might have even announced the incident right away.

• Disagree Disagree x 9
    • Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. chrissirhc

chrissirhc Member

Oshimen:
    yamaguchimaho
    why werent they able to handle it properly?

the false statements forced them to engage in a cover up? when the incident happened if they put out a statement saying it happened a few apologies, and what actions going forward would be taken in terms of an investigation and prevention things would have never spiraled out of control. they are the ones that chose to act like they had something to hide.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    I'm curious, which "false" statements are we talking about, and on what evidence do we know they were false?

I know that's what AKS is alleging, and I know that's what you believe @wlerin , but I am not aware of what statement made was a complete fabrication. Perhaps I missed it?

The question I ask, and this seems to be the core issue with regards to the members who were allegedly involved, is what constitutes culpability?

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tuxedo_gin

tuxedo_gin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    onishimomoka
    Are Japanese court transcripts not usually public record like many other countries? I'm interested in those "about eight names".

16. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    That's based on the recordings and has been circulating since the Bunshun article months ago, rather than something from the court case which doesn't actually start until the 10th.

Well to start with, the criminals (seemingly) claimed member involvement then immediately backed off from that claim.

One is that a member incited them to "行け", according to the niigata nippo article.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Cisalpine88

Cisalpine88 Next Girls

Twitter:
    speranzom
    The argument indeed doesn't make sense, and you don't have to be a lawyer because all it takes is being a fan (former, or otherwise) and looking at how things developed since December. But then again since AKS refuses to acknowledge even the very existence of Maho as the offended side, it only follows that the details of this lawsuit would turn out to be so lopsided.

The basic premise of the lawsuit, as stated in the original Sankei article (link here) which reflects the content of it, declares between quotes that "because of the incident, NGT48's entertainment activities were then stopped".
    Now, this is baloney. The incident took place in early December as everyone knows and I don't remember NGT48 itself stopping a single one of their activities as a result of it at that point in time. In reality they still proceeded on as normal for the entire month acting like nothing happened while simply leaving Maho out of everything, with many people scratching their heads wondering what had happened for her to fall off the face of earth. If anything, it is Maho's activities that dropped to near zero during that period of time. I have almost forgotten just how many activities she sat out of so I'm going to quote myself from early in this thread for a rough list:
    • Taking a mobame hiatus, with the last relevant mail sent in 2018/12/14 to explain the situation she was going through in as much a roundabout way as possible (now I also get why Maho had to get around wordfilters to get her message sent, like having to write words in full hiragana like "私はアイドルは絶対れんあいきんし派") , before -- being by her own admission -- blocked altogether
    • Taking a Showroom hiatus, the last appearence being 2018/12/06
    • Taking a long pause on Twitter after 2018/12/09, the day after the assault took place, and again every time coming back just for explaining the situation she was going through in as much a roundabout way as possible
    • Sitting out on handshake events in between, which was explained away as being just because of health issues
    • "Opting out" of AKB Kohaku, and basically every single year-end and new year NGT performances such as that on Countdown TV, NPP2019, @jam 2019
    • Only bringing herself to appear in two theater shows
    ...this was until the point she eventually left Niigata and retreated back to her family's home in Aomori out of fear, by around December 18 (a detail that, surprisingly, wasn't made public until Komatsu Ryujiro, who himself followed the case as a reporter for the Asahi Shinbun, mentioned at a recent lecture at Hosei University about the case, saying this is an info he received at around that time -- for anyone who cares to read a transcript and a translation of it, you can check it out here).
    By the look of it, it's clear that the management itself thought nothing of it and what Maho had gone through, because it's obvious that during the intervening time they didn't see fit to even make the basic efforts in terms of safety. While we are left in the dark about what happened to the yakkais who rented the room on the other side, whether they were expelled from the building or even had restraining orders placed on them, simply looking at the backgrounds in Showroom broadcasts alone (especially that of Mofu, Nanako, and anyone who is pretty much confirmed to have lived on the same floor as Maho's) makes it evident that they didn't work to even move them to a safer location than that death trap in the meantime.

Forget about the incident, even after the disclosure took place NGT48 as a whole didn't find themselves forced to stop their activities, they just kept going on while openly disregarding Maho's presence. Request Hour and whatnot went on with no great difference, by February and March they were also restarting the theater shows, with the Kenkyuusei stages beginning as previously promised, and the Honma solo stage happened as originally scheduled (hint: take a look at the date when it was held to see why), radio shows went on normally and even their only television show resumed on-location episodes after just a handful of best-of compilations. Appearance at handshake events and other gimmick corners thereof also went on as normal. In reality, it was once again Maho who had her activities stopped and it certainly wasn't her own decision (I'll quote myself again from this Niigata Nippo interview from back in the day: "No dialogue whatsoever was established. And without discussing anything first, they just went on to restart the theater shows and announced her non-participation at the handshake events")

If anything, the point when NGT48's activities clearly screeched to a halt actually happened around March 22 onward, and it was more as a result of AKS making an ass of themselves with the third-party committee's under-researched research report, and the clueless press conference that followed, in addition to continous mismanagement and belittlement of the situation. It's pretty obvious, once again, that the focus of the report wasn't to give Maho peace of mind, given how the lawyer's explanation of how the attackers could have found out about Maho's whereabout without external help is entirely hinged on their theories and imagination that weren't backed up by research either. It was obviously only to reassure AKS they weren't legally liable for the incident that Maho found herself into, given how the whole argument in the report revolved all around verifying there was no "conspiracy in crime" on part of the members, even those who obviously took part in providing informations.
    Also, ironically, even by that point the management still kept firmly bluffying and denying to the press that the cessation of contracts was in any way a result of their mishandling, even when it was becoming quite damn obvious to anyone with an observing eye. Let me remind that AKS's explanation about Niigatta Friend being cancelled was, by the own words of the NGT PR spokesperson, that "It was already supposed to be terminated by the end of March", I kid you not.
    Don't worry, anyway, I see everyone across the Internet pretty much pointed out how ridiculous it is that they are playing the victims and blaming it on the incident itself in spite of everything of that. To claim that this happened as a result of the incident would mean for AKS to deny all the above.

As a reminder, the two people AKS is now asking 30 million yen in compensation happen to be a 25-year old unemployed man and a 25-year old university student, so good luck about that. Assuming of course that this is just another one of those frivolous lawsuits to earn back a little bit of money, like AKS seems to be resorting to these days, rather than to extort from them another apology statement in AKS's favor as they wish for... It's just a mere civil lawsuit case after all...

Decaying clown world, tbh.

Well, if this is a problem to you, let's take a trip down the memory lane and look at how AKS tried to pass off the incident to the press on the very day she made her disclosure (and compare it to Maho's testimony in the report, if you will):

関係者によると、逮捕されたのは山口のファン2人。自宅を割り出し、帰宅しようとした山口に自宅前の廊下で声をかけたが、驚いた山口が大きな声を出そうとしたため、2人は手で口をふさごうとしたという。
    According to associate personnel, the arrested are two fans of Yamaguchi. After having deduced out her apartment’s location, they tried to speak up to Yamaguchi as she was returning home, in the hallway before her apartment, but since Yamaguchi was about to shout out loudly from the surprise, the two people acted out to cover her mouth, reportedly. [sic]
    https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/entame/akb/1242676/

Is this really the (treacherous bullshit of a) description of the incident that you were thinking of *without the false statements of the attackers to complicate things*? Thanks but no thanks, and then ones wonder why AKS lost every ounce of trust and respect from Maho when it's clear they were working against her from day one (not that she didn't already state it on Twitter during the conference).

Actually those aren't court recordings. Once again, as I mentioned sometime ago, they are recordings of the interrogation that the culprits had with Maho and the staff at the time the incident took place, and which Maho (or possibly Mofu, who quickly rushed to the scene) was careful to make an audio recording of, so as to keep it as future proof of their statements. They were most importantly used in the third-party report as a backbone of evidence, as submitted directly by Maho for examination, because obviously the third-party committee (which, just so everyone knows, has no power to request classified material or initiate investigation of their own) had nothing else to work on to come up with a verdict of their own.

The part in Niigata Nippo states the following (interestingly, this is completely left out of the third-party report's document, which would have otherwise explained the section about member consorting more clearly, and even the number of members that were named in the process was simply rendered as "several"):

訴状は、事件当日に山口さんとAKS関係者が男性2人とやりとりした内容を記載。男性2人は、以前から食事をするなど交流を持っていた一部メンバーに「山口さんと話したい」と相談したことを明かす一方、「こうやれと言われたわけではない」と話し、共謀は否定したという。「つながっているメンバーは誰か」との質問には、8人ほどの名前を挙げたとしている。
    The lawsuit complaint reports inside the content of the conversation that Yamaguchi-san and AKS-related personnel had with the two men on the day of the incident. In it, the two men revealed they had a consultation along the lines of "We want to have a talk with Yamaguchi-san", with some of the members they maintained mutual relationships with since before, such as by having dinners together. On the other hand they denied there being a conspiracy, saying that "They didn't tell us we should act out like this and like that, in itself". To the question of "Who are those members you are consorting with?", the names of some eight such members were then brought up by them, it is written.
    https://www.niigata-nippo.co.jp/entame/kennai/ngt48/20190705480957.html

Worth noting that, with the two parts matching, this would give a hint of authenticity to the alleged apocryphal transcript by Shincho released months ago (link here), including the part about the members on the same floor being unaware that the room the attackers came from technically no longer belonged to Tano or was being shared with the two, not to mention the eyewitness statement that "C" was seen hanging out there with a fan...

Last edited: May 3, 2023
    • Like x 15
    • Informative x 6
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  18. EinhanderX

EinhanderX Next Girls

You don't forget those 2 are the primary perpetrator here, right?
    If hell you desire are to befall, drag them as well.
    Long story short, Northriver Corp is a joint project between AKS and Sony to oversee Sony newly debuted group, Nogizaka46, at that time. The method was AKS will provide manpower and managerial training, until Sony could manage their own.
    As for 2 names removed, I actually expected a dozen, if Sony really want to cut ties.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. bonjourmarlene

bonjourmarlene Under Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    小林蘭
    Twitter:
    curioushitomi
    They are very much to blame for the fact that Maho had to make everything public. They told her they'd take care of things and that they'd protect her, but then nothing happened. Remember, the third party investigation was only started after Maho came forward (and she only did so almost 2 weeks after the attackers were let go by the police). Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say management themselves was naive and put their trust in the police as well, they should have acted at least by the time the perpetrators were let go by the police and demand justice for what happened to one of their talents. Even if it took a while to get things rolling, they should have offered support to Maho (e.g. offering counselling, assuring her they would look into matters or that things were getting done).

Even if none of the members had helped the attackers (whether maliciously or accidentally), management had quite a few opportunities to do the right thing and they did not. Can you please just stop defending them?

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. half23

half23 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Shinozaki Ayana
    i dont think wlerin defends the management though, as he; and practically everyone, already said that its the management fault that got this problem to grew this big
    i do think he sees this incident on different point of view compared to most people here