1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

[GENERAL] The Sakurazaka46 / Keyakizaka46 Thread

Discussion in 'General Sakurazaka46 Discussion' started by ForrestFuller, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Maeda_Toshiie

Maeda_Toshiie Kenkyuusei

In view of the recent discussion in Matsudaira's thread on her treatment by the management, I went to do some research and found this series of blog posts. Since this is more general (not even KYK/SKZ specific), I figure it is better to post here than in Rikopi's personal thread:

https://neojaponisme.com/2010/04/05/the-jimusho-system-part-one/
    https://neojaponisme.com/2010/06/29/the-jimusho-system-part-two/
    https://neojaponisme.com/2011/05/23/the-jimusho-system-part-three/
    https://neojaponisme.com/2011/07/26/the-jimusho-system-part-four/

(In addition to the blog posts, the comment section is quite interesting and informative, but much longer than the posts themselves!)

These posts cover the jimusho (事務所) system of talent agencies in Japan, and jimusho keiretsu (事務所系列) or links between seemingly independent companies. These networks collectively have an outsized influence on the Japanese entertainment industry, namely the traditional channels of TV and radio.

The posts date back 10 years, but I feel that they remain highly relevant, given the glacial pace of changes in Japan. The examples inside are of course dated, but that can't be helped. The material in the posts are taken from the academic research of the author, and I believe the field work was done on the ground in Japan.

Note that the system described therein is perhaps more specific to the idol music industry, especially the level of control that the agencies have. In other sectors (such as seiyuu*), agencies do not exercise such as strong grip on the fates of their talents. Of course, the picture painted is rather bleak, and perhaps too pessimistic. The grip that the keiretstsus have on the industry is hard to quantify, given that most of them are privately held and all of the relationships do not exist on paper and only happen behind closed doors. Business relationships, especially personal relationships are paramount in Japan. This creates a very opaque system with its players being tightlipped and even reclusive. A lot can only be be gleaned by circumstantial evidences or accidental leaks.

In the more recent years, there are some (hopeful) changes:

https://www.tokyoreview.net/2017/10/japan-celebrities-challenge-media/

The less traditional media outlets, made possible by the Internet, has allowed talents to interact with the rest of the world outside of control by the agencies. For independents with an established fanbase, it is a great opportunity. For those still under agencies, social media appears are often highly regulated (with official/公式 accounts only) or even forbidden by contract.

**Within the whole Japanese entertainment industry, not all sectors work like the idol jimusho system. The seiyuu industry traditionally has greater levels of independence among its talents, though this may be changing with the rise of the idol seiyuu phenomenon. In the (distant) past, seiyuus were mostly of stage acting background and mostly unseen with only names appearing in the credits. These days, seiyuus are more and more multi-talented and visual, and entering other realms of entertainment outside of voice acting in anime and games, and dubbing foreign films. Mainstream talent agencies like Horipro is entering the field, which may slowly alter the management scene, and not necessarily in a good way. A relevant blog post (by j1m0ne, a long time seiyuu blogger and commentator from Malaysia) on seiyuus and their earnings, agencies, casting, etc.

https://seiyuuplus.wordpress.com/2015/07/04/71-seiyuu-castings-earnings-everything-in-between/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi

I'm right there with you Phil, Seira is born to be under the spotlight. She still has to learn a lot but she has already shown to be natural in Nogi Skits and I expect a lot in Borderless. The plot is quite interesting and the pairs are surprisingly working well together. Looking forward to 3rd episode (which make-of should be about Seira/Pon I presume)

On the other hand, as much as the pairs are working well, I'm still sad Sakura mngmnt didn't chose less up-front members for Borderless. it could have been an hell of experience for others too

3. Philosophy Senpai

Philosophy Senpai Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    If Borderless receives large audience aknowledgement and becomes the success it seems to be, I am sure that more similar projects will follow. In that case we should expect more members to take acting roles.

I liked the selection of Hiyotan, being the youngest of Hinata 2nd gen and so shy she was somewhat under the shadows (and her hiatus didn't help). However she looks so much more confident from the moment she returned until now and she seems to be making a very good use of the chance she's been given with Borderless. Having her, beside the experienced Kyoko is a nice balance. Nogi management on the other hand is clearly showing that 4th gen is not only the future of the group but also the present. This gen is pure gold, but still within this subgroup they chose to play it safe and rely on two of the "big 4" with Sakura and Seira. So far I guess Kakki is on a league of her own by participating in other acting occasions and leading in fanbase. Shall we expect anything for Tamura then?

As for Sakurazaka, I'm ok with their selection. Arguably, Yuipon was the safest choice due to being more experienced but for the very same reason her role could have been given to another member with an oneesan-aura. Risa on the other hand is a pleasure to watch and she pairs so well with Hiyotan... Even by facial characteristics they look as if they are old and young sisters in reality!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Absolutely top-class information. Like an encyclopedia of the business. Thank you so much. Thanks for exposure to Neojaponisme and its commenters, too: fascinating stuff, if I can negotiate the bits of academic terminology.

I happened on a very direct piece from Jake Adelstein about Burning Productions, the Yamaguchi-gumi, and a beauty queen who refused to work for a yakuza-connected company and was stalked and threatened.

Now how do Aki_P and Seed & Flower fit into all this? Cleaner companies in open relationships with Sony, which is independent of the criminal world? How the LDP relates to the situation is, of course, something for another forum.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    Aeon Card new video

if the video does not show watch the video here

Aeon Card new video

6. Maeda_Toshiie

Maeda_Toshiie Kenkyuusei

Trailer for Documentary of THE LAST LIVE ~欅坂を登った者たち~

7. Philosophy Senpai

Philosophy Senpai Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    Thank you @Maeda_Toshiie sensei... I am currently reading the information about the Jimusho system in Japan and (after almost 4 years of constant education on the country, it's customs, culture and people) this particular information bewilders me... My gut feeling was telling me that there is something "wrong" with the whole management system of the entertaining industry but I couldn't imagine it being so close to the old feudal hierarchy and caste system.

Under this light, I can comprehend why idols, girls that are just starting their career in this broad industry (as it not only covers entertainment but fashion and advertising as well) are so restrained: Most of them are at the bottom of the food chain and are grateful for just "being there" hoping for any prospects for the best...

Well, after all we can't just say that this system is "wrong". It could be to the western standards but within the framework of the Japanese society (even the modern Japanese society) it is what it is and we should not criticise.

8. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    Aeon Card new video

9. Zoning

Zoning Kenkyuusei

I confess I stopped keeping up with Keyakitte Kakenai round about when Shida Manaka left (so...2018?) - I'm honestly surprised that the group is so small now even with the rebranding (hell that a rebranding was considered necessary at all). What happened???

10. Iamyoung

Iamyoung Future Girls

I would love to explain but dude, it's all out there. It's too painful to revisit. I wld kindly urge you to read abt it on the internet.

Also, apparently there was a promotion of the group in Indonesia? From reactions, i guess its a pretty big deal lol
    https://twitter.com/chccmnt/status/1374904733601656833?s=19

11. Zoning

Zoning Kenkyuusei

I'm seeing vague references to Hirate getting overworked and quitting, not much explaining how/why the group that was poised for stardom has all but faded into obscurity.

12. Iamyoung

Iamyoung Future Girls

Long story short, snf happened lol. I disagree though. The girls haven't 'faded into obscurity', as you put it. They are pretty much as popular as can be. It's just that, before the rename, they were in limbo for almost 2 years, which is a huge turn off when it comes to jidol. But with the current condition, they're still pretty much up there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. too much idea

too much idea Next Girls

Twitter:
    toomuchidea
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. turbogig

turbogig Member

Oshimen:
    Habu Mizuho
    I don't remember if it was mentioned around these parts before, but let me post it anyway.
    I just finished watching a movie One Cut of the Dead (カメラを止めるな!).
    One location seemed strangely familiar, so I decided to check it and...
    Bam, turns out Mou Mori he Kaerou ka MV was filmed in this exact place, Ashiyama water purification facility in Ibaraki.
    Check out the pictures

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    Nice finding! I loved that movie, now I have one more reason to rewatch it :D

16. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    Some hours ago my nephew asked me why one of Seven Deadly Sins characters (七つの大罪 Nanatzu no Taizai) wore Keyaki clothes.
    I'm still struggling to find an answer but some friend on twitter pointed out whoever made the outfit for the game could have been or still be a fan...

link to my original tweet because I still suck at posting pictures around here :^^;:
    https://twitter.com/Dill46_48/status/1378281621330264067

those looks SO Keyaki to me lol

17. turbogig

turbogig Member

Oshimen:
    Habu Mizuho
    It's not like Keyaki invented a blue+black combo, but whatever, it's more fun to believe they're connected.
    It looks like one of the lesser known Keyaki CM costumes from 2017.

[​IMG]
    @Dill Good job on spreading the word among your relatives :D
    Next time please ask your nephew what artistic direction should the group follow after BAN and whether the Saku8 system needs to be abolished or not [/jest]

18. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    [hehe][hehe][hehe]
    I will!!! But I tell you now, he grew up watching me watching Techi perform, so his answer would be appreciated as much as mine are lol
    (either that or he'd wish for Sakura to go full dragon/demon/whatever slayer and that requires a lot of blood on performances and we would not see ANYTHING on dvd ever again lol)

Thanks for the pic, I don't recall this particular costume, but as often happened, it looks straight out from anime. Love it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  19. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    Music Station new video

20. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    ...Happy 1st debut day? :D