Single AKB48 58th (Ne mo Ha mo Rumor) [2021/09/29)

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by Kuura, May 23, 2021.

1. sdn48oshi

sdn48oshi Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    tanoyuka
    Literally the entire youth population of the world

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dragonkiller12012

Dragonkiller12012 Kenkyuusei

^So the leftovers from the cesspool that is Twitter. Alright then. Shall we wait for TikTok to run its course like every other social media platform that emerged over the decades or are we just going to keep pretending social media is really a way to gauge popularity. I don't remember anyone treating how noteworthy stuff was on Myspace like a true marker of popularity why so much stock on TikTok? Heck next thing you know we'll be back to the old song and dance about how YouTube views and likes are such an important marker for popularity and the endless debate that comes with it. Grasp at straws all yall like people. I'll be here, in reality.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

It doesn’t seem to be the one where TikTok literally launched one of the most successful artists of the past decade with

if the video does not show watch the video here

or made the following songs massive hits

add to that basically everything that Doja Cat has put out.

Sure, the West is a completely different market and Japan is still too focused on physical sales, but you can’t deny TikTok is a very effective tool in making a viral moment go big. Heck, Marina released a new album a few months ago and still had to make a playlist for 10-year-old songs because they kept going viral over there and they were being streamed a lot more than her newer material.

So anyway, 2021 called, join us!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Dragonkiller12012

^In trying to prove me wrong you just proved me right. I have no idea who those artists are nor have I ever heard those songs. Unless I'm the one living under a rock, you're just overselling a social media platform like what happens with pretty much every single one of them that gets big then tappers off and eventually dies. Marina ga dare? Doja Cat who? Lil Nas? Que?

Edit: For Marina I actually clicked that link and the first song is titled Bubblegum Bitch...yeah I don't think wanna join your 2021. No-one needs garbage like that in their life. Sorry not sorry.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  5. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    ""Old Town Road" spent 19 weeks atop the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, becoming the longest-running number-one song since the chart debuted in 1958."

Where do you find music? Clearly not in the US or any of these countries where it was a number 1 hit (try wikipedia).
    US
    AUS
    CAN
    FRA
    IRE
    NOR
    NZ
    WI
    UK

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Dragonkiller12012

And yet, regardless of that data, it never played on the radio stations over here in NYC to my knowledge. I'm glad I've never put much stock in Billboard especially the US version because that seems like the kind of thing that should've made many more waves. And if the best you can do is go "Wikipedia it" at me it clearly wasn't that big a deal. Also aren't literally all the Billboard numbers for the US version inflated and approximated even at times blatantly falsified by the record labels and thus Billboard has lost nearly all of its credibility and face with the US public? I recall several scandals from the early 2000s about it which was literally the last time I can recall it being taken seriously.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 2
  7. sdn48oshi

sdn48oshi Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    tanoyuka
    Okay, then what do you possible consider a “true gauge of popularity” if not for social media?? That literally makes no sense. Social media is THE gauge of popularity bc its most representative of the masses.

Also…people literally DID use MySpace as a gauge for popularity with music. MySpace used to publish the songs that were most included in people’s profiles and so many times the songs at the top of that list became huge hits in the next few months. Kesha is a great example of this.

But regardless, tiktok is a completely different thing altogether. No social media platform has ever before really “made” hit songs. Not just in the US, but in every country, including Japan. Mayonaka no Door, a song from the 80s went viral on tiktok and immediately made it back to the top of the charts in Japan. Koda Kumi had a viral song on tiktok and she was invited to all of the major year end shows last year after being excluding for nearly the last decade.

Seems so, because all of those songs that were linked were the biggest songs of the last few years. That Weeknd song was the biggest song in the entire world for literally two full years. So saying you’ve “never heard it on the radio” literally just means you are not listening to radio stations that play modern music.

I don’t even know how this whole line of discussion started, but in conclusion. Yes, they def want this song to go viral on tiktok. And yes, it going viral on tiktok would be a huge deal, and really help the group out popularity wise.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. best48fan

best48fan Kenkyuusei

Like 1 of the posters said above: the American market for Tic-Tok is different than Japan.

I think AkB48 has a better chance on relying on streaming sales (and YouTube) than using TicTok to promote.

9. Dragonkiller12012

@sdn48oshi - I will kindly ask you not to condescend and patronize me. Do you know what people do here in NYC when it comes to popular music? They blast it out of their speakers obnoxiously to the point where you rage internally nearly to the point of wanting to shoot them if you live downtown and if you're lucky enough to live in a suburb you still can't escape because they sit in their cars doing it while pretending to socialize with their circles of friends or family during the strangest of hours. Every youth here in every neighborhood has to share the latest trending song so honestly if I haven't heard it I don't consider it a big deal. By the way it is precisely that youth that has made me view things like Twitter and TikTok as cesspools. And as for not listening to radio stations that play modern music, there are like three of them here that play oldies, just three! There are five that play Spanish music. One plays Hindi stuff. And one very hard to get clear reception through plays J-pop and K-pop. The rest? Nothing but the newest hits. I definitely would've heard those songs if they were really a big deal off the overstated platform that is TikTok just as they presumably were on it.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  10. sarachuu

sarachuu Kenkyuusei

Did everyone try the chicken? I thought the chicken was lovely!

In other words, I’m glad management has put a lot of effort into getting the song out there. One of my biggest grievances with post-2012 akb is that all the new songs—regardless of how good they are—are usually promoted for the bare minimum and then pushed to the side to make room for the “classics” with KFC being the only exception. I understand the sentiment “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” but it bothers me how many new akb songs have the potential to become classics but instead we have to hear ponytail to shushu for the thousandth time (and for a long time that was one of my my favorite akb a-sides)

I have noticed a recent change in their recent concerts, the summer festival being a big example. Lots of new songs with a healthy mix of old, it’s a step in the right direction imo

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Mr. Take It Easy

Mr. Take It Easy Kenkyuusei

I’m visiting New York for 2 weeks and I already listened to Savage, old time rode and the weekend who is everywhere on the streets. You don’t go out much huh.

TikTok makes music go viral and become a success. Some songs do not need TikTok to be successful.
    There’s much more in consideration to determine if a song is popular or not.
    Show me data.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. STS

STS Future Girls

Oshimen:
    山本望叶
    About TikTok. I disagree that it’s doesn’t work, Tiktok is a great platform to hype, but at the end you must to see the results like digital sales, streaming and youtube’s likes and views. I don’d see anything. So~ if we talk about promotion in TT, it’s flop.

Trending in tweeter is a good point for artists, but it’s a very complicated thing with many factors like how many posts, how long, how far from main themes (like Mahohon) users talk about. Not just to see it in the trending list at once.

ADS for shoes is the only good thing that I actually could to pick out

13. Spoony Rice

Spoony Rice Member

Oshimen:
    込山榛香
    Twitter:
    Spoony_Rice
    Are you ok? Just because you haven’t heard these songs doesn’t mean they aren’t popular. Say So by Doja Cat literally blew up and she’s been performing that song nonstop for over a year at this point. Lil Nas and Megan Thee Stallion also have multiple popular songs that blew up on there. If it blows up on Tiktok, then you’ll see it in digital sales, maybe even physical sales.

The amount of Kpop groups that have been making their chorus’ purely danceable for tiktok is also another indicator of how that platform can help out with sales.And with BTS wanting to be #1 on Billboard, it started to be taken way more seriously, everyone also cites the charts when trying to prove popularity in the US nowadays. Have you seen the fights that go on twitter between fans? They’ll pull up with “how many number ones does your group have on billboard?”. I was probably way to young to know about that scandal with billboard, so most likely at this point nobody cares anymore?

It seems you’re stuck in some weird past, but this is the reality of it all. I can assume you aren’t a teen or young adult (Gen Z) because this is how we measure popularity of groups and songs. Through billboard, how many times your song has been used on tiktok, and streams(youtube, spotify, apple, etc)

Even if Yokoyui is graduating soon, her trending on twitter is still great because she’s trending for dancing to an AKB song. AKB has also made an easy version of the dance specifically for tiktok so it can blow up there.

However just because you do all this(Making an easy dance for tiktok, and having all the members at some point dance to it on the official account), doesn’t always translate to success. But, there are so many songs that were released a while ago that blow up again, or weren’t as successful upon release but because of tiktok they are now. Maybe next week a popular tiktoker will dance to Nemohamo or another akb song and it’ll get big, the algorithm there works in mysterious ways and it can always happen. Let’s just hope management jumps at the chance next time it comes around and don’t ignore it like they did with saikyou twintail

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Looks like you answered yourself!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  15. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    Didn't realise you were that young. (Early on MySpace definitely was treated this way. Then, you know, Facebook happened and Tom stopped being everyone's friend.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JPN48

JPN48 Member

Oshimen:
    小栗有以
    And since when does this become the Tiktok thread?

17. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Since it saved Brave Girls from disbandment making a three-year-old song go viral! Stream Rollin’!

• Winner Winner x 4
  18. rmn89

rmn89 Member

what is these 2 songs in spotify “new release”

19. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    From '@48RequestHour' on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/48RequestHour/status/1455569165603983365
    (This should probably go in the 'General' thread - Mods please move if desired.)

20. Dragonkiller12012

https://www.generasia.com/wiki/Nemohamo_Rumor
    https://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/w/2021-11-08/ - 5th Week at #4 with 21,999. Total is 379,194.
    Apparently aside from that one day where they sold 21,414 they had a shite week. Guess whatever "success" they're having with the youths on the cesspool called TikTok and from members trending on the cesspool called Twitter really isn't translating to any of that youth asking for Mummy and Daddy's credit cards or cash to buy the single or in the case of the ones who are old enough to have their own card or cash to break them out and buy it themself.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2