Stage48 Feedback & Suggestions VI

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by Mr Waffle, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Mana

Mana Under Girls

Actually there is a Kpop general discussion thread where all those Kpop groups could (should) be discussed. I know there is no specific rule to the Idol Emporium section but this is still a forum about 48G and 46G, and it's kinda weird to see more and more threads being created for every single Kpop girl group (and there are so many existing groups, and many more who will debut in the future). The problem is that it's starting to take a lot of space on the forum and it's covering up actual threads about 48G, which means less people are going to read or comment on those threads (because many people, me included, generally go to the "recent posts" section to see what's new, and the Kpop threads are being updated often so they take space). I don't really understand why groups that have full korean members (it's not even Jpop) with no relation to 48G at all need to have their own threads. I know that I have myself made one of these Kpop threads years ago, and if it was up to me, I would delete it. I personally think all of these threads should be merged to the Kpop general discussion thread which was made exactly for this purpose. That way it's more organized, logical, and this forum can stay about 48/46 generally and not turn to half 48/46 half Kpop (that's where it's going).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    it depends on the group. Black Pink doesn't have a thread, so posts about BP go in the Hallyu thread. However, TWICE has been around since 2017, and we won't name the person who started THAT thread. ;) Besides, of the nine members, only five were born in Korea.

P.S. It is not more organized if you like Black Pink have have to search through all the Hallyu thread to find news. (Yes, and only one member grew up in Korea.)

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  3. Mana

Mana Under Girls

and yes I asked long ago to have it removed, but it was refused. That whole thing was long before Produce48 and the wave of Kpop fans joining here (or 48G turning to Kpop fans). Like I said, all these threads (Twice included) should be merged to the Kpop discussion thread which was made for this, it's not like in 2017 where the forum had no active Kpop thread, now we have probably like 15+ separate Kpop-related threads and they are all active. Also I don't know why it matters how someone who likes Black Pink would feel here in stage48, or that they would have to go to the Kpop thread to "find" their news (the same news that are posted in thousand places on the internet already). This is a 48/46 forum...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. sscrla

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    This is not exclusively a 48/46 forum, except possibly in your mind. Have you never heard of Morning Musume, NiziU, Momoiro Z, Perfume, Scandal and all the other Japanese groups in Idol Emporium? I just bought albums from Niziu, Little Glee Monster, and AKB48, only one of which is a 48/46 group.

We are going to have to agree to disagree, but Idol Emporium is not exclusively KPop.

P.S. If you go by the name, stage48.net, the 46s wouldn't be allowed. :)

P.P.S. If looking at recent posts bother you so much, stop doing that. Just look at the forum from top to bottom. Idol Emporium is practically invisible, being all the way at the bottom. Personally, I read watched threads, not recent threads.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mana

Mana Under Girls

I never said that this is exclusively a 48/46 forum, I said that it should stay a forum that is generally about 48/46. I understand discussions about other Jpop girl groups, and they're not many anyway, it's a different thing than Kpop groups which are a lot more and with many more who will debut in the future and who also already have hundreds forums/sites where they're discussed, unlike the Jpop girl groups. There's just no need for Kpop to take this much space on a forum that is made for 48/46 (initially a forum for AKB but all 48/46 are somehow related to each other unlike groups from Korea). I also don't know how the albums that you bought are related with the purpose of this forum LOL anyway for me it's a problem in this forum.

I just want to see what's new without having to click on AKB News, AKB Discussions, Team A, Team K, Team B, Team 4, Team 8, Graduated and same for each one of the 48 group. o_O

6. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    I'll always prefer the nuclear option when it comes to discussion of K-Pop groups. The K- and J-Pop fandoms just do not mix well, no matter how much people on the border may fool themselves. Besides which, there are already dozens if not hundreds of K-Pop discussion forums, there's no reason to let Stage48 become the 101st, especially when it has, with very few exceptions, been primarily dedicated to J-Pop, specifically AKB48 and its derivatives. Idol Emporium becoming dominated by new K-Pop threads, most of which are just duplicates/off-shoots of the Hallyu YouTube Video Spam thread, is extremely undesirable. It not only affects those of us who use the Recent Posts feature, but also anyone who might want to post about e.g. chika idols or lesser known Japanese idols (the original topic of that board), who will quickly find their threads lost in a sea of manufactured monotony.

A handful of those threads do have a good reason for being here (e.g. Rocket Punch being Juri's group) but most don't -- at best they've got a single Produce48 candidate (not a good reason), and some don't even have that.

No one said it was exclusively a 48/46 forum. It is explicitly a 48G forum, and 46G are a derivative of 48G. It also makes sense to allow discussion of similar idol groups and general Japanese* music discussion as they have similar appeals, but no one with their eyes and ears open would confuse most of these K-Pop groups for either. Also, I don't see what relevance your personal spending habits have to anything.

* Look at the music subforum. Where's Epica? Where are the threads for Ceredwen and Auri, both artists who featured in my Spotify Wrapped for this year? (because this is totally relevant) They aren't there because, despite nothing being stated explicitly, the music forum is for discussion of Japanese music. (There's also a single K-Pop thread with no replies, but that whole board is basically dead now since it doesn't show on the main page.)

And no one said it was exclusively K-Pop, why are you being so disingenuous? The problem is that it is slowly getting there, with more than half of the threads on the first page as I write this being K-Pop threads (most created this year), and a similar number on page 2.

IMHO it should be near-exclusively J-Pop, maybe with a grandfather clause for threads created before Produce48, or an allowance for international groups that actually follow the Japanese model (there's a few such threads if you dig back far enough).

Puerile and asinine. You are, ostensibly, a mod. You don't have the luxury to ignore Idol Emporium or Recent posts.

That said, I use Recent Posts fairly often and haven't seen the issue to the degree that Mana has, but with the rate that new threads are being spun out of the Hallyu dump thread that may soon change. (It's already difficult enough to use thanks to a certain someone.)

Why would you even think to come here to look for Black Pink news? I don't come here looking for e.g. Blind Guardian news. Here's a much more appropriate place (and thread):
    https://onehallyu.com/topic/25-black-pink/

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    I wasn't aware that the Recent Posts function was so widely used but that's probably because I don't use it, I prefer to 'manually' check the quieter threads maybe once or twice a day with the busier ones more often. If posts to threads in the Idol Emporium are causing an issue with clogging up Recent Posts then fair enough, a solution needs to be found. Personally I don't like the OneHallyu forum, it's always seemed messy to me with too many threads containing just a single post. I've found the Kpop threads here to be easier and better for keeping up with news.

However Stage48 does of course exist principally for the 48 and 46 groups so I accept that anything else is really quite peripheral. Having said that I'd still like to be able to post and read news on Kpop groups and artists in this forum, but if that's restricted to one single thread then I'm happy to go with that even though I do like the threads on individual groups.

So if we just have one Kpop thread that's fine by me but I would like to ask please for a couple of things. Firstly could we please keep a separate thread for Rocket Punch seeing as Juri's in it? Likewise when Sakura's new group debuts could we please do the same? It's simply because they're ex-48 members.

Secondly, if separate threads for Jpop groups can continue that'd be great but maybe could the The Idol Emporium and The Music Forum boards be merged? It seems silly to have the threads for Perfume and Scandal in a different board to other Jpop groups.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    Personally, there are too many boards (and threads) to check regularly so I prefer to use Recent Posts, even if I have to click back a few pages until I run across stuff I've already read. In the grand scheme of things, K-pop threads don't add that much filler to the list compared to a certain other board, but they do seem to be increasing in number.

One solution to K-Pop threads drowning by-nature slower chika idol threads would be to merge Idol Emporium and Music Forum as you suggest, but then change The Music Forum to "International Idol Emporium" or something where K-Pop/C-Pop/T-Pop/whatever could be free to proliferate. Of course that wouldn't fix the Recent Posts feed problem.

It is very strange that the J-EXTRAVAGANZA thread in The Music Forum seems to be mostly used for random discussion about idol groups without their own thread. The quote in the OP seems to suggest there used to be an equivalent thread for idols?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. mai48_

mai48_ Member

Twitter:
    maiakikochan
    Eh I don't really see the big deal with the k-pop groups threads. I mean, from my perspective, it's not like they were created with the intention of being a hub/centre of the kpop groups for the general kpop fans. I feel that it is more like for those 48G/46G/its derivatives' fans who happen to also like kpop.

I personally use New Post. I check there all threads with new posts being made, I can see new things from threads all around the site. Of course there are threads that I don't check, I just skip through. So far, it hasn't come to a point where all I see is mostly kpop threads.

I feel that the first two complaints made in regards to this...... it makes me feel iffy. And quite frankly sounded elitist, or more like gate-keeping? Exclusive in a negative way? I mean, majority of the site is still 48G/46G-centric... we just have a forum (or is it two? I know the kpop group threads are in the idol emporium forum, but what is this about music forum?) for them. It's not like the kpop groups have more than the one thread for their group, not like they have members threads, or gallery threads... and as I mentioned earlier, it's not like they were made for the general kpop fans, otherwise you'd see them popping up as their own pages on wiki48 too. They were made by and for those 48G/46G fans who also enjoy kpop. The activity in this site has been on a rapid decline as compared to many years back, you give more restriction to this close-to-completely-harmless activities and the posters would find other website/forums for their kpop bias, then with what seems to be declining interest in 48G/46G/or even Jpop, they'd all entirely abandon the ship and the site would be steadfastly heading into a lull of cricket chirps.

A compromise would be a filter function in the Recent Post / New Post pages. Do we already have that? Or if we don't, is the current team able to make/apply the function?

• Like Like x 3
  10. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    I frankly don't understand why they were created at all, nor what purpose is served by their continued existence. Most of them aren't a hub for anything except reposting videos (probably in hopes of driving clicks, since kpop fans seem to be obsessed with such metrics).

For now.

Nor should they, the forum was created for those groups that have member etc. threads. But they've been quietly multiplying group threads over the last couple of years. There's a lot of kpop groups.

Some of them have links to wiki48 pages in their first post...

Still preferrable to the alternative, though I don't think that's what would actually happen. (What does end up happening really depends on whether the groups can revitalize themselves after the pandemic.) I don't see anything to be gained from keeping users on the site just so they can post about K-Pop. If they've lost interest in 48G then they've lost interest in 48G.

Again, though, while my personal preference leans towards the J-Pop purist side I do recognise that's an extreme position, and several users I respect are active participants in those threads. I'm just concerned about how many new ones there are, and how tenuous their connection to the forum is.

Filters and thread tagging would be awesome! I don't think either will ever happen.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  11. Jurinavenclaw

Jurinavenclaw Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Matsui Jurina
    Is it possible to put subforums under the Idol Emporium if its not too much work?

Like maybe: JPop, Non-JPop idols? or fine, a separate one for KPop?

12. mai48_

mai48_ Member

Twitter:
    maiakikochan
    I feel that it is more like for those 48G/46G/its derivatives' fans who happen to also like kpop.
    Then again, that's just my assumption.

Is there not also many jpop groups? Or is it their fans are less active on English-language-based forums?

Really? Do those groups have a relation to 48G/46G?

Yeah I don't actually disagree with you.

But then again you can use the revitalization argument in another way. If the groups can revitalize, then these kpop group threads would most definitely lose in activity, won't it. Then in terms of appearing in Recent Post / New Post pages, you wouldn't see as much of it. Because then people wouldn't just be buzzing about the 48G/46G activities in the general threads. Or the releases threads. They would be buzzing in the members threads a lot more. They'd be more busy discussing about 48G/46G then instead of the kpop groups they were interested in before.

I don't really see that people losing interest in 48G would stay on the site just to post about kpop. I think they still have an interest, just much smaller.
    And again, if or when the group can and start revitalizing, if the site is still in their radar, they'll be back buzzing in the major parts of the site, which are the 48G or 46G forums.

Yes, "purist" is the word. That's what I'm uncomfortable with. The extreme position, the Jpop purist side...

Seriously though, the kpop threads are only in the corner of the site. They only get that one sub-forum, not even in one that is featured. Technically speaking, they aren't wrong in getting created. And them being more active and thus appearing more in the New Post / Recent Post, is no fault of theirs. And really, are their threads being actually populated solely by kpop-only fans? When our beloved groups, the main integral part of this whole site, 48G are revitalized, those whose interest was previously more leaning towards kpop but still stay on this site, they will get pulled back in into the major part of this site, the 48G side.

I'm not asking, in any capacity, for kpop to get their own forum or subforum (in the style of 48groups or even the subunits/soloists). No, no way. But let them just stay in the idol emporium forum. A general thread max for each group. Thats all. If they end up more active and appear more in the New Post / Recent Post where some regularly check their updates from, it's not their fault. Instead think of ways how to get the 48G/46G threads more active. I get that it messes up with your vibe, your mood... for that I'm sorry. But to demand them to be deleted? That's a tad too much.

Anyhow, this is my take in regards to the current situation in general. Nothing on the posters personally. Anymore than this, I feel I'll just be reiterating/repeating my point. So this'd be all from me (as a post).

Thread tags would be awesome, indeed.

• Like Like x 2
  13. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    I'm not sure I agree. Unfortuntely the board wasn't more specific when it was created but I think the clear intent was to feature other J-Idols, not just anything that calls itself an "idol" no matter how far removed. There aren't any fertility goddess appreciation threads there, for example, nor even Western Pop idol threads. Some K-Pop groups may call themselves idols but they are NOT the same thing, even though some groups may imitate parts of the Japanese model.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Mana

Mana Under Girls

15. FlowingColors

FlowingColors Future Girls

16. sscrla

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    Not yet, according to the official site.

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 3.16.45 PM.jpg

17. FlowingColors

FlowingColors Future Girls

18. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    Why do we have to wait to move Nogizaka46 graduated members until their profiles disappear from the Nogizaka46 website? This doesn't make sense. (Same goes to Sakurazaka46 and Hinatazaka46, I believe, though I just heard that Moriya Akane and Watanabe Rika's profiles will disappear at noon on 31 December.)

19. mai48_

mai48_ Member

Twitter:
    maiakikochan
    I think because usually that's the last link of those girls being active members.

20. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    With 48 groups, if a graduated member's profile remains on the official website it usually means that they're still able to receive fan mail and gifts. Maybe it's the same with 46?