1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

[GENERAL] The AKB48 Thread

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Kyobu, Jun 16, 2007.

1. yic17

yic17 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Re: THE AKB48 thread!

Long post .. spoiler tagging it. :p

WOW ... talking about my two oshis like that ... you're just trying to piss me off aren't ya? .. 0_____0 ..

But you know what .. I actually agree with you. =\

Takamina and Sasshi are IN MY OPINION, the two RARE members who became popular WITHOUT much of the IDOL quality. I love them not because of their idol qualities, too. If my love for oshimen is based on idol quality, I'd choose Kojiharu and Yukirin any time of the day. BUT ... that's not why Takamina and Sashiko are AWESOME. (Yeah ... it's gonna turn into a freakin' PIMP post!!)

Obviously Takamina is awesome for her AMAZING CHARACTER and PERSONALITY. She is super hard working, super caring for everyone, super nice, super funny on TV shows (love her expressions .. more than Yukirin's yo!!), etc. Takamina definitely wins people because of her HEART. As for Sashiko, for me, it's all about her DYNAMIC personality. I have said before, I think Sasshi is actually the next in line to Yuko when it comes to having a dynamic personality. She is funny, daring to do things other idols (and members) are afraid to do (like those weird dance moves, crazy faces, wota-gei, etc), daring to make fun of her senpais (for entertainment purposes of course), etc. But what sets Sasshi apart from Yuko imo is that people can relate to her more because she is a hetare and a wota herself.

However, most of all, Sasshi to me is just like Takamina, they are both SUPER GENUINE people. They just don't try to act like someone they're not. As Kitarie said in Sasshi's photobook, she is the kind of person who doesn't hide anything - whenever she has someone in mind, she'll just say it. Also from the photobook, Kitarie talked about how Sasshi is a SUPER NICE person - always shares her stuff with others without hesitation. Anyways, those are some of the reasons why I personally love these 2 so much and I believe it's also why they are popular. They got popular MOSTLY because of their personality and hard work - not because of their idol quality.

Finally though, I think Sasshi is gaining her idol quality nowadays as she learns how to do makeup from Kojiharu. Which is a big PLUS in her popularity imo. [hehe]

Lol .. of course she got prettier. :D

And STILL getting prettier by the day imo. ;)

2. GATX105

GATX105 Member

^
    I think she has to improve her dancing since she's projected to move up within senbatsu. The front lines carry most of the performance. :)

I think fans who are around longer do tend to get around just appearance and more into personality. After a while you sort of get used to even a very pretty face and you start looking for more. But you're right, so long as they're not unattractive. :)

I was thinking more about the management perspective when selecting the front-line girls. You're right that even yuko probably isn't your conventional idol but I guess aki-p does have to cater to what the fanbase wants even though I think his ideal view is to have acchan and tomochin as the aces. Anyway, it's good that personality does play a part in akb and I think that's partly because that's what fans want. But I think there's also a place for girls that excel in appearance and in the singles, the girls at the top of the pyramid have to be able to carry the entire team in dance and appearance since at the first run-throughs, that's where you look. :)

3. joooooooooe

joooooooooe Member Retired Staff

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe

except for beginner i think most of the akb48 choreography is pretty lackluster and unchallenging. they get destroyed by k-pop groups.

tbh appearance was actually a barrier for me to watching akb48. i really wasn't physically attracted to them at all. i guess i got over it.

i remember my friend showing me a study where girls tend to be more attractive the more you look at them, but then it drops off after a certain point. =)

4. sillythings

sillythings Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    sillythings48

AKB is an idol group.

Japanese Idol groups are very different to female kpop groups.

ppl can keep comparing AKB to kpop groups but in the end, they're like two different genres.

5. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

I honestly don't think the choreo of some korean groups is THAT complicated either, they are just really synchronized and use sharper moves, which makes them look better visually imo.

6. joooooooooe

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe

i'm comparing AKB dance to k-pop dance which is perfectly comparable. and they're not as different as say, stomp dance and ballet.

i think AKB loses in dance to many j-idol groups anyway. 9nine. or fairies. or momokuro.

also, yuuko is the only one in End Roll that's senbatsu, which is probably their best dance performance.

the point is, i think that regardless of how good you are at dancing in AKB, i don't think it'll affect your popularity.
    some of their more popular dances are super simple. (kachuusha comes to mind. probably one of my favorite live performances.)

7. Issen

Issen Kenkyuusei

Aki-p has some talented girls, but he's not using them. All for his average-girls-who-try-hard etc...
    No wonder the group lose in terms of talents when you compare with other groups...

8. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

I think that's the mistake many people make when they try to compare AKB48 and kpop. AKB members are idols, so they don't need to be very good at dancing, singing or performing (of course, if they do they may be more popular, but that's all). Many famous members are so-so at one of those things, but nobody cares, because fans only demand them to be lovely and exert themselves no matter what they are doing. On the other hand, kpop (and other jpop groups) must be great dancers and singers. In other words, fans expect kpop dances to be elaborated, thrilling and original, but expect AKB48 dances to be cheerful, energetic and easy to dance, so AKB48 can't be compared to kpop groups, because their goals are different.

9. joooooooooe

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe

my mistake was leaving out the fact that i wanted to say sashihara doesn't need to be that good of a dancer to move up in the dance formation.

man. i'm losing my mind lately when i'm arguing and i forgot to write what i'm arguing for. :(

10. Criss

Criss Member

^
    ^
    So agree. K-pop have its charm, they are better prepared groups (even Akimoto Yasushi has mentioned that, well.. even Tsunku mentioned) its popularity is based on that.

But japanese idols groups popularity is based on Affinity. Yeah some of the members could be great at dancing and singing (after years of practice), but are the few. Most of them are only... "nice" regular girls.

I like several female K-pop groups because the quality. I like AKB48 because its fun (Im aware of its limitations). Im not so atracted to them like 2 years ago but I still finding the AKB girls... funny.

To compare the 2 genders its unfair.

11. GATX105

GATX105 Member

I think the focus on kpop choreography is just different. jpop choreo tends to be simpler with more catchy arm movement. doesn't necessarily mean some of the jpop girls can't do the kpop dances. they just generally don't do those kind of dances. just take boa's jpop choreo v her kpop choreo. also jpop tends to avoid sexy dances and the type of dancing they have fits more into the song and the mood they're trying to project imo. it's probably better to compare jpop dancing with other jpop dancing.

there was a beginner intro dance during the mtv awards where akb danced a little different style at the start and I think some of them are capable of dancing much better than what you see.

I think if the ones anchoring the dance are fair dancers, then it just looks better. sasshi is just a bit stiff. she can follow the choreography but it just needs a tad bit of improvement in grace. It doesn't matter that much but if she's in tomochin's or mayu's position, then it'll show itself more. I'm not saying she needs to improve to get more popular but only so the overall dance looks better to people viewing it. Some people do enjoy the ske dances because they're fairly well executed and visually pleasing.

:)

12. kimunlimited

kimunlimited Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu

Interesting discussion. [nod]

I'll just say that its pointless if we keep comparing AKB48 to other groups and other genre since the AKB concept is so unique even in the idol world. Aki-P doesn't intended for an amazing dancing and singing group in the first place I think what he wants are normal girls with average talents that can capture the heart of the fans not because they're that talented but because they're that determine to be idols even with their shortcomings.

We'll I think the weakness of AKB in terms of talent is also their strength. Just like how AKB was built into, they choose girls with potential that the fans would like to follow/support as they grow up in the idol, and I think they're still growing up so forgive if they're not that good with everything, yet.

13. GATX105

GATX105 Member

^
    haha, personally I think that's aki-p bs and that he's just saying that after the fact since now that they're uber-popular, the talent level is sometimes questioned (especially by outsiders) and what he says is just a good excuse. :)

I think if you constantly perform in front of people, then you yourself would want to improve also so you'll feel good about yourself and confident when you perform. And the front girls are perhaps held to a higher standard because you're somewhat representing the rest of the group.

Even if they're "just idols" and not held to a high standard in terms of talent, I think they always seek to improve and give you a good performance. rino is high on my list and as her fan, I want her to improve on her dancing since it looks like she's set to rank higher and become more prominent in the singles.

:)

14. hikki

hikki Kenkyuusei

You.... me... same wave-length.

As for Japanese choreography... it's top notch. I mean, you have so many dance tournaments won world wide by Japanese dancers/choreographers. Watch Perfume dance with the sound off... it's just like watching korean pop dancing... and Perfume isn't at the top of the pecking order. Hell, one of the top K-pop choregraphers is Japanese...

I capped the 2nd Japan x ROK dance choreography battle on Asian Ace... I think I'll up that to JPS. Worth a watch.

But yeah, too much crotch grinding with K-pop... it's live i've been time warped to the 1950s and have to watch Elvis shake his junk.

15. chiuchimu

chiuchimu Member Stage48 Donor

AKB dance routines per individual are simple, but they are complicated in their own way do to large number formations like a marching band. Also, think of the number of songs AKB has compared to your average Kpop group. Which is harder to do? 30 hard dances involving a formation of 5~9 or 200 simpler dances involving a formation of 10~100?

Actually, I believe most Jpop Idols have a harder dance routine than Kpop. Kpop dance style is sexy smooth undulating movement which is actually pretty easy to do. It looks good(sex sells), the moves are easy to do and rolling moments hide timing mistakes. Quick sharp movements common to Jpop are harder because they take more muscular effort, harder to execute and the timing is more exacting.

In particular, I think SKE dances in general are harder than Kpop dances. I think SKE can easlier do any SNSD or KARA dance in a few days while I'd say SNSD and Kara couldn't perform "Oki Doki" in a few days. It would take them at least a month to get their aerobics up to par.

Folks, we got some amazing talent in AKB. ;)

16. kimunlimited

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu

Wow! you said a lot of stuff I was going to mention. [hehe]

Yeah AKB48 is such a large group that its hard to get an almost perfect synchro in the dance moves and also because the front girls are so busy with outside activities they hardly had time to practice those damned so many dance moves. Unlike singers only or dancers only they can't really perfect their craft if they keep multi-tasking.

17. YKT

YKT Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Twitter:
    MayuyuOrg
  18. kimunlimited

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu

↑ Its fine in there most probably some who doesn't visit Takamina's thread haven't read about.

BTW something more depressing from a former AKB member.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxjnQXTMc78[/yt]

19. Starshard

Starshard Kenkyuusei

^ My Japanese is very limited, so may I ask what did that youtube video say?
    Because in December 2011 there were already news about her playing the role of a famous AV actress in a Biography movie (a biography movie for an AV actress... wonder if it's categorized as AV, technically it isn't)

20. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik

chiuchimu said one part I had in my head, kimunlimited spoiled another. I'll add, that faster, more dynamic dances would stand in contrary to idea of subs. Just see, what Beginner did to poor Rena on CDTV... She was sometimes so out of sync, that she had to chase her position in choreo.