1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Converting friends/family to AKB48

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by Justin, Feb 5, 2012.

1. lightningoak

lightningoak Kenkyuusei

It ain't easy to convince my friends here [wonder]
    They're all into like Kpop and stuff.
    But sometimes I show them AKB48's live performances hehe

2. maki2589

maki2589 Kenkyuusei

i tried back in 2007 or 2008, my friend will sometime watch akbs 1st concert with me but he didnt like them enough to actually become a fan and follow them. not much success after that, maybe i should start with relatives first this time.

3. Abel

Abel Kenkyuusei

tried it,in fact,i gave my siblings to watch ''HeavyRotation(PV)'' first then the other songs,surprisingly they understand the deep meaning and began liking and started finding their own oshi's :lol:

4. TomoChiyuu

TomoChiyuu Kenkyuusei

tried converting many friends before...
    only one friend was converted through the help of Majisuka 1,
    but he lost the fandom after half a year :\

5. Justin

Justin Kenkyuusei

I watched about 15 PV's in a row, with a few of my friends, not with the intention of converting them though. They didn't tell me to chage it, which is good ;)

6. mr_m

mr_m Kenkyuusei

Had to bump because my post is relevant to the topic.

I had already spoken about AKB a few months ago with a good friend of mine. He wouldn't budge.

Last night, he sent me a link about food asking if I would eat it. I sent him an AKBingo clip of Itano Tomomi eating a scorpion and asked him if he would eat it. I specifically chose this clip for 2 reasons. One reason was it's relevance to the discussion and he's into hip hop so Tomochin definitely has that image which appeals to such fans.

He messages me later asking me who she was. I replied, "Tomomi Itano and I knew you'd like her".
    He said, "It was a trap! I was trying to avoid AKB as long as I can. what a great bait. tushay. Damn I'm listening to Dear J" :D

By the way, the said clip is this one

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mbpkk-GPHQ[/yt]

7. achanp2

achanp2 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    I never tried to convert my friends into akb. But they were so curious when they saw me laughed hard watching akbingo. After that, they joint and watched akbingo with me for so many episodes. They really enjoyed it and said akb members are so funny. Akbingo was enough for my friends to like akb. :lol: Then they tried hard to remember each name of akb members and it annoyed me sometimes that they had to ask me everything about akb while we were watching akb concerts or tv shows. But, I'm glad that I made 2 of my friends like akb though as not freak as me. :hehe: Btw, their oshimens are Jurina and Sayaka.

8. crunky12

crunky12 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashijuri
    When my mom found out about AKB, she asked how does a group with that many girls make any money :fp:
    And I said it's mainly the main popular girls who actually make good money.
    She thought I was lesbian because I like an all female group :fp:
    My brother is more open minded thanks to anime exposure [clap]
    As for friends, none share the same interest [flip]
    (I'm consistently trying to get my brother to watch the 1234 Yoroshiku pv, but he puts it off lol)

9. Yui-Oshimen-Sama

Yui-Oshimen-Sama Kenkyuusei

I've never tried to convert anyone, though I did have a picture Ikemen Miichan on my laptop while in school once, so when I was asked why I had a picture of a 10 year old boy :fp: I then had to find a picture of her. They were kinda surprised.

The only person who really knows about AKB is my brother, but he's not really interested. He's done his homework though because he knew about SDN, but it apparently didn't occur to him that there might be two groups with 's' in there name, because I was watching the Kataomoi PV and I mentioned the only reason I was letting him sit there watching was because one of the girls in it was younger than him and he was confused because he thought it was the 'adult group'. Apparently the uniforms didn't give it away. He doesn't care much though, he was despairing when he discovered there was actually anime and manga for the group, and he thinks it bad I can remember any of the member's names.

I suppose you could say I converted myself over a long time though.

10. mr_m

mr_m Kenkyuusei

As some of the other fans have mentioned, we usually don't actively seek to convert people we know. It sometimes happen when we bring it up ;) . My ulterior motive, of showing my buddy Tomochin, was to use an opportunity to talk about my interest. There's nothing unusual about sharing hobbies with friends and family.

He might gradually become an AKB fan just like many of you. If he's supportive of only Tomochin then I can respect that. I'm pretty sure he's going to wonder about the names of the people in touch with her and it'll snowball from there. I offer no apologies to him! [hehe]

11. crunky12

crunky12 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashijuri
    Your friends with Tomochin? :blink:

(I'm kidding, but your sentence kinda ran together and made it sound that way) [hehe]

12. mr_m

mr_m Kenkyuusei

I actually LOL'ed. you're absolutely right. Sentence fail. That would be nice though because she's such a great person.

13. asudja

asudja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyazawasae
    will be quite long, you've been warned:

I once wrote in one of the S48's thread.. about how I talk alot about AKB48 to one of my best friend (and all their sister groups), and he talks about soshi.. which later on she talks about all KPop groups.

(he might've wondered "why AKB have lots of news? I gotta follow other groups so I don't lose in quantity :lol: " maybe)

I talked a lot.. about their history, what's AKB, what makes em different from other idols, how many are they, their concept, etc.. till jurina the 11 year old being a center and had a solo photoshoot for CD jacket, and the latest "big news".. sashiko's scandal and transfer.

he didn't budge.. he just listened.. and learned about AKB.. but that's it.. I don't think he's interested, I don't care, I always talk about AKB whenever I could :music:

till we're having a discussion about JKT48. Yes, we both live in jakarta.
    to be honest, I don't have any reason to like JKT, as far as I see (IMO), they're just using AKB's (and jpop popularity) to raise their own.. and I found that translated songs are.. awful n don't rhyme well.. thus.. a bad song (again.. IMO).
    we discussed about whether indonesians would buy original CD to support JKT (due to our piracy "culture"), if they would someday have a theater on their own, original songs, variety shows (variety shows are not common in indonesia, some other idol groups had tried.. but it's scripted.. I could see them faking things and expressions which.. sucks!!)

we were talking about "nozawa rena", a japanese born, living in indonesia because of her parents job..
    when he suddenly grabbed his phone, googled her name.. her wiki.. article about her..yes.. that instant!!

and just a few days ago, he told me.. he's using G+ for the 1st time..
    Le` Me (LM): why?
    Le` Friend (LF): I followed nozawa rena on G+ and her twitter too..
    LM: damnit mate, I told u lots of stories about how awesome AKB, how cute n fresh SKE (he nodded to this too), how cool NMB etc.. now u told me u're following JKT48?
    LF: I'm a realist, if I should follow an idol, I should follow the one I could actually meet.. isn't it?

and yesterday, in a konbini.. were looking for some drinks and snacks.. I heard him singing "heavy rotation" :drool: :music: and I was like :awesome: :hehe:

PS. oh and also yesterday, he asked my help to install UWO (Uncharted Waters Online).. and I deliberately copy 2 mkv video @1 hour long regarding all AKB members profile (I believe HRP made them, I got those from his vimeo). [hehe] [rock]

[party]

14. Yui-Oshimen-Sama

Yui-Oshimen-Sama Kenkyuusei

I sort of tried to get my brother to take an interest in Karen, because she's barely younger than he is, but I don't think it worked.

15. hydeistaby

hydeistaby Kenkyuusei

I was successfully make my sister love akb :awesome: and she was decide her oshi too, her oshi is miichan [hehe]

16. crunky12

crunky12 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashijuri
    Recently I've been trying to get my brother to like Yagami Kumi, he loves airheads :hehe:
    Will it be successful? The world may never know :awesome:

17. mr_m

mr_m Kenkyuusei

Welcome done everyone! If you didn't succeed then feel proud to have tried! [hi]

@ asudja, your friend is very logical. He didn't budge until he realized that he could actually meet one of them.

18. asudja

asudja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyazawasae
    yup, he's not used to AKB concept..
    he thought every idols are the same, just a matter of music genre, a matter of lyrics, matter of beauty of the members, complexity of their dance, etc..

he just realized, if he want to, he could meet one of them.. high 5 with them, shake their hands, etc.. :lol:

19. akb48

akb48 Kenkyuusei

I converted my BF (best friend =p ) to Taka fan :hehe:
    I kept talking about her like everyday I still do [hehe]
    And finally my effort was rewarded XD
    One day, when I was just randomly scribbling she wrote I <3 TM (well thats what I call Taka at school and when talking to her) and I was like :awesome: (but I think she actually likes Taka because I like her.. Oh well :^O^: )

20. Bookman

Bookman Kenkyuusei

I converted a couple of guys at work to the sounds of Idol groups such as AKB48 and Berryz Kubous. My approach was more, "let's drive in the van with the windows down and Namida Surprise pumped up....adapt the faders to center and push the Bass & treble to +7".

They wont stop listening to the stuff now. I guess more through the joy and, at times, irritation they bring to the public and themselves.

But, having bantered fun through use of the genre of music, I feel, is a good way of planting the seed of conversion.