1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

[3/11] Earthquake & tsunamis in Japan (all x48 are ok)

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by delerium, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Gobolino

Gobolino Member

Re: [3/11] Earthquake & tsunamis in Japan (AKB&SDN all ok)

I (speaking in my own behalf) had used X ray radiation a lot and even I have to wear a Pb suit. *I am not sure* this could be comparable since Nuclear power derivate radiation is (I guess) very different.
    Chernobyl (as much as wikipedia can trust) got a Fallout event product of the leak and the explosions themselves that I hope won't happen in Japan.

Though, I work with X-rays and I know how they work but I don't have any clue about Nuclear power so I'm speaking in blindness. T_T

NEVERTHELESS... Things ALWAYS can be worst and, eventually, always can worsen.

2. joooooooooe

joooooooooe Member Retired Staff

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe

the article says 1000x inside the plant, not inside the actual reactor where the nuclear reaction takes place.

and i'm sure 1000x is background radiation.

Normal radiation levels for the US are 2-9 uR / hr. 8 times that (outside the gate) is still 2,000,000 times under the dose needed for the most minor effect to happen.

@gobolino: pb vests are to disperse the radiation, since x-rays can focus and still cause damage. but for ambient background radiation it's not necessary.

yes, things can get worse...
    but we should be hoping for things to get better.

3. Gobolino

Gobolino Member

Oh, yes, I know since the pb suit (vests, ok ^^') only protect directly the "front" zone since the emisor of the radiation is right in front of you... most of the times...
    But I was talking about how just receiving a little of X ray without protection per day can cause damage in the long term (actually, that's why as far as I know Curie died (unless my teachers tricked me on this one)). So, even if the leak is below the red zone of danger it's still worrying.

As for the risks...

"Always expect, wait and trust for the best outcome... yet prepare for the worst one".

PS: Again, I speak from a very limited point of view since I have no idea of Nuclear Plants or radiation, just a little little bit about how X-rays works since I need them).

4. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48

It's not going to be another Chernobyl. Modern reactors are designed to make sure that NEVER happens. Like the news says, they haven't even activated the emergency systems yet, which were designed for exactly that reason...

The way reactors work is basically rods of uranium heat up water, and the steam is used to spin turbines to produce power. The problem here is the pumps to keep the water moving (so the heat moves away) stopped working. They are currently running on battery power and have more batteries on standby. If worst comes to worst the emergency cooling system can be activated but they'd prefer to fix the pumps.

Regarding the radiation,

"Japan Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency official Ryohei Shiomi said radiation levels surged inside the control center at the Fukushima Daiichi No. 1 reactor, while a monitoring device at the front gate of the compound detected radiation that is eight times higher than normal.

The level outside the 40-year-old plant in Onahama city, about 170 miles (270 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo, is still considered very low compared to the annual exposure limit, Shiomi said. It would take 70 days of standing at the gate to reach the limit, he said."

Stop saying "OH NOEZ ITS CHERNOBYL ALL OVER AGAIN". Nobody needs that baseless fearmongering, Japan is suffering enough as it is. Chernobyl happened because of countless acts of sloppy work, procedures not followed, and the very worst of Soviet technology. Modern reactors are HEAVILY policed to ensure that sort of event never happens again.

She eventually died of radiation poisoning... at age 66. But she'd spent her life handling radiative materials with her bare hands, carrying it in her pocket etc... which is utterly inconceivable nowadays.

5. caedus

caedus Kenkyuusei

Thing is about Chernobyl was that it's a RBMK reactor and has positive void coefficient so that was the main reason the core exploded.
    The Fukushima reactor is a BWR, I think(and hope) they have everything under control. And they've evacuated the area too.

6. Betazu

Betazu Kenkyuusei

Thanks MrWaffle...i feel some sort of relief to hear this. :)

7. Criss

Criss Member

8. doink-chan

doink-chan Kenkyuusei

Thanks for the explanation, I feel somewhat relieved, but I hope that it doesn't get more dangerous.

I'm also glad to see that all the AKB48 members are safe...my thoughts go out to the other people of Japan too, especially in Sendai and the rest of the northeast since they were the worst hit. :cry:

9. Youkokurama

Youkokurama Kenkyuusei

been following this thread since last night. thanks for all the info.

and i would also like to add that my oshi is safe. :)

@gobo: i'm back in my country since december last year. tsunami will have to travel across 3 mountains before it can reach me XD

10. Betazu

Betazu Kenkyuusei

^
    youko, you're not in Japan right now? :confused:

EDIT: ah...nevermind that, you already answer that question :lol:

11. maki2589

maki2589 Kenkyuusei

i found out about this this morning when i woke up and couldnt keep my mind off of it the whole day. all i can think about was all the members and staff of the x48 and their well being [worried] . im happy to hear that all members are ok (and i hope that its the same for their relatives and the staff) [whew] . man im glad i can come back here now cause this place it always more reliable than any othere site when it comes to finding out news about x48 eventhough it is on this conditions.

12. sola0713

sola0713 Kenkyuusei

Thanks for the update Waffles. Less n less to worry about.

The damage though...I can't imagine how ppl of Sendai are going to live.

13. Gobolino

Gobolino Member

But the "point" started because of this:
    So, whatever is happening in the nuclear plant in japan, it's more or less than an X-ray?
    that's where we started to compare Chernobyl / Marie Curie / etc etc, to point out which was more dangerous.
    Not that Marie Curie died because she was exposed to one X-ray.

14. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48

I'm not a scientist, and no numbers have been thrown around, so who knows. But there is no danger. If there is a danger, they will activate the emergency cooling systems, and then the danger will be gone. The reason they haven't done that already is because they want to keep the nuclear plant in good condition so they can fix it and get it working again.

15. MecchaMelon

MecchaMelon Kenkyuusei

^ From my understanding, the diesel-run emergency cooling systems have also been wiped out... I don't think the main goal is fixing it so it can get running again. They're just trying to prevent a meltdown and they only have a few hours to do so before the batteries, their only current power source, run out of energy as well.

16. MoeKare

MoeKare Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nishinonanase
    Twitter:
    moekare_100
    how about suuchan???
    does anyone know?? :(

17. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    They've already said Japanese Self Defence forces were moving batteries and generators to the site, and the US is sending them in too. They've vented gas out to the ocean to reduce pressure to protect the plant.

Even if worse came to worse and there was a meltdown, it won't be like Chernobyl, because the reactor is a totally different design. It physically can't "blow its top" and spew radiation out in an explosion because of the design of the reactor. The core is inside a giant concrete block to protect against that.

If you read the first post you'd know that all AKB48 members are confirmed ok.

18. TomoChiyuu

TomoChiyuu Kenkyuusei

If everything fails. AKB48 can always come to the united states to live HEHE. All the fans could pitch in to buy them a new theater and a new office. [hehe]

19. MoeKare

MoeKare Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nishinonanase
    Twitter:
    moekare_100
    Oh, I missed it...

Wuh.. Well glad to hear that everyone is safe..

20. MecchaMelon

MecchaMelon Kenkyuusei