1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

[3/11] Earthquake & tsunamis in Japan (all x48 are ok)

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by delerium, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    People who actually understand this stuff (ie not news readers who are saying it'll be Chernobyl all over again :fp: ) are speculating that the explosion could've been caused by hydrogen gas which was created as a byproduct of the cooling process (a known possible problem). The people controlling the situation haven't said what has happened yet though.

No offence, but you're not a scientist, you don't know how nuclear plants work. They are fundamentally different to things like nuclear bombs. A reactor can't "explode". Steam can build up and escape, but that's why they are venting it in a controlled manner, so it can go out to sea and dissipate safety. And even if it did build up and cause a problem, that's why people have been evacuated, so it won't hurt them.

As numerous scientists who have been interviewed have already said, the most dangerous thing about this situation is fear. And fear is caused by ignorance. Which is why I'm trying to explain what is going on so people don't think "OH NO NUCLEAR = MUSHROOM CLOUD WE'RE ALL DOOMED".

2. JedixKnight

JedixKnight Kenkyuusei

Just wanted to share a little news about Japan's crisis

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhW-vMoyyIo[/yt]

well its full of "what-ifs" so lets just hope for the best for Japan... >.<

3. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

I'm not a scientist, and I don't think we'll get a mushroom cloud, but if something potentially dangerous happens not to work in good condition, am I not allowed to be worried just because experts say so?
    Not to mention that two hours before the explosion, those experts had said "it's absolutely impossible for an explosion to happen"...
    And my fear won't harm anyone since I'm not there.

4. Melos125

Melos125 Kenkyuusei

Yes it is true that its not the reactor which has exploded, it was something else outside, but the explosion did damage the containment. Reuters says that it blew the roof off.

5. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

Thank you for all your sensible and well documented reports, Mr Waffle. The last thing our already-shaken hearts need is panic or misleading information. It seems that the things are quite under (a relative) control and that, even in the worst scenario, it wouldn't be like Chernobyl. My main fear now is about aftershocks...but we'd better stop thinking about that until it happens... [sweat]

6. Llewella

Llewella Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    There is no nuclear explosion, so the experts can still say this.
    And fear is like an epidemic : it spread, causes panic and then hurt people.
    Wait to know for sure before speaking of catastrophes.

7. ultimaxslc

ultimaxslc Kenkyuusei

There is no nuclear explosion but the level of radiation offsite is already high and that explosion will carry them further. BUT it is much much much better than Chernobyl

8. sola0713

sola0713 Kenkyuusei

I doubt sales would be all that spectacular anyway. Dedicated fans will still buy, but those aren't will probably direct their attention away from music for a while.

As for the reactor...I'm just gonna say, I hope nothing happens. It's no use mauling over who's right or wrong about a possible Chernobyl anyway, if it happens it will. If it doesn't, well, then it doesn't. :hmm: For those that believe in a God, go pray. Otherwise I don't really see the point of arguing...except to kill time.

I was just tutoring a student, and I saw the news as I walked by their TV. Reported 1600 dead currently. I hope the numbers don't keep on skipping like that. T_T

9. Ampersand

Ampersand Kenkyuusei

Aren't there degrees of catastrophe and disasters? I think worry and panic are quite different and as long as people can keep their concern in check and still make rational decisions and discourse, it's fine that you're not maintaining a totally cold, analytical and unfeeling outlook. People just care and have concern.

Even though I'm away from the situation, just because I'm in Asia, I've had friends from overseas messaging me and checking if I'm okay. They're not informed, obviously but rather than their concern being negative, I'm touched that they care. The right people are level-headed, I think. The experts are doing their best/well and all us 'normal people' can only show concern and compassion. However, what I think is not doing any good is when some people feel like others are being condescending and it starts to bring forth hard-feelings, you know?

Ah, well... let's not all start screaming about doomsday and such but if a person is scared, I think kind reassurance is more effective than saying they're ignorant for feeling that way.

I'm not religious so I'm not praying but I am sending best wishes and hoping the best for Japan and its recovery from this.

10. yuji82

yuji82 Kenkyuusei

I feel for the Japanese people and especially the nuclear plant staffs and rescue workers who chose to stay behind in the Fukushima nuclear plant while everyone is evacuating miles from the area. They are risking their lives and fighting against time to contain the pressure in the reactor to prevent the nuclear disaster. I can almost imagine what the people in the plant is going through at this very moment. Lets hope everyone can get through this disaster together.

11. Llewella

Llewella Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    ^ ^I do agree the situation is serious, but I do not think that's a reason to add suppositions of unrealistic catastrophes to an already bad thing. Being realistic and cautious does not mean being unconcerned and not caring.

And I am glad all 48's members are fine and I was happy when I received news from my friends in Japan.

^ Yes let's hope those people working on the plants will be safe. They are the most at risk now.

12. sola0713

sola0713 Kenkyuusei

^^
    Courage. Those are the real heroes. Not some politician who sits at a press conference, yapping "WE SHOULD DO SOMETHING TO HELP THESE POOR PEOPLE" *snores*. Sometimes people forget it's the normal people that carry out an order given from above.

---
    Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I just read on Taiwanese news, that the reactor in reactor 1 (the one that 'blew up') was destroyed in the explosion? :blink: From wat I've just read from Waffles and several others, didn't the explosion only 'blew its roof off' or 'blew a part of the building off'? I'm confused lol.

---NEWS

:blink:

Yea, great. Fantastic news. What a way to kill hopes and stir up trouble... :hmm:

13. Melos125

Melos125 Kenkyuusei

The building which got the walls and roof blew up was not the reactor. The reactor is still holding. Serious damage to the nuclear reactor container is unlikely despite the explosion

The cause of the explosion is (quoting experts) probably due to hydrogen buildup. "If nuclear fuel rods overheat and then come into contact with water, this produces a large amount of highly-flammable hydrogen gas which can then ignite,"

14. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Yeah, the reactor is underneath that building. The building itself didn't blow up either, it was pretty much just the skin that blew off. I haven't seen any solid information on it but it's speculated that is simply the shell over the structure to keep the elements out etc. Nuclear plants are designed to resist planes being flown into them (no, really) so they're tough buggers.

Pic found on 4chan, you can see it's pretty much just a steel structure-

[​IMG]

The information being reported is wildly different. Apparently Russian news is reporting that the radiation outside the plant is 1000x normal, while US news is reporting its 20x, etc. (The last proper figure I saw put it at about the same amount of radiation you get when flying on a jumbo jet)

15. ultimaxslc

ultimaxslc Kenkyuusei

Ian Hore-Lacy, of nuclear industry body the World Nuclear Association, also said the blast may not necessarily have caused a radiation leak.

He told Reuters:

16. Ampersand

Ampersand Kenkyuusei

^A+ for its diplomacy. There maybe (might be a leak). But we don't know that (even if there is a leak, we don't know about it: reasoning). There is no reason reason to suppose there must be because of that (there probably isn't one because we don't know about one). As a layman, I find this very reassuring.

I'm just pointing out a possible interpretation that some people might take because the stance is not completely firm. I really hope this isn't taken as my interpretation.

Of course, I agree that unrealistic suppositions are really unhelpful. I did not say that by not making these, that people are unfeeling/cold but simply, that it is okay and acceptable to not be one of those people only looking at it in a purely scientific and rational manner. Some people help by being calm and rational. Some people help by lending emotional support and showing that they care. Both are important. It's no good for one side to belittle the other. I only wanted to say that emotional does not necessarily equate to being overemotional so that those people who just want to say, "I'm scared" can feel easy about saying so instead of keeping those feelings bottled up because they don't want to be called uninformed or ignorant. Better the fear be let out and addressed than left to do harm, right?

Yuji really brings up a good point. Those people working by in and near the danger zones and affected areas should be praised.

It's a strange coincidence that most of my Japanese friends were out of Japan at the time, due to either business trips or study abroad. I know a few are still uncertain about their homes and family situation which makes me worry for them. For me something heartening is that even my grandma is concerned about this matter. It means something because as an old Chinese lady, she's never really been fond of Japanese/Japan but I'm glad to see that even so, she's saddened by the human loss of life.

(hm... I need to stop reading this thread. Something as mundane as homework awaits. Japan will be in my thoughts though as I do it. u_u)

17. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    I just read something that made me realise that it's interesting that we're all focusing on the nuclear plant now. In comparison with everything else that has happened to Japan, like virtually the whole east coast being wiped out, it's absolutely trivial in comparison. But the scale of the tsunami destruction is so large and there's so little information that it's easier to just focus on this... like, even if the plant had a worst-case scenario and leaked, only a tiny fraction of people would be affected compared to what the tsunami has done. The damn thing went 10 kilometres inland, that still blows my mind.

I've spent like the whole day at my computer keeping up with this :fp: 3 assignments due in the next 3 weeks that I should be focusing on...

18. ultimaxslc

ultimaxslc Kenkyuusei

The damage had already been done by the tsunami but the current problem at the plants is something that can be contained. Reports say that some places are not accessible by the rescue teams.

Update: Seems like everything is doing fine now.
    Government spokesman says the nuclear reactor container at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant has not been damaged, and the level of radiation has dropped following the explosion earlier on Saturday, AFP reports

19. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    I don't want to go to bed, I don't want to miss anything :fp: I hope things turn out alright, especially for the guys working at the plant. Those dudes must have the intestinal fortitude of Godzilla himself.

20. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

You'd better go to bed (just suggesting). There is little we can do now, apart from trusting the guys that are doing their best to fix this madness. If you stay all day in a 'zombie like' state tomorrow it won't help anyone... :)