[3/11] Earthquake & tsunamis in Japan (all x48 are ok)

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by delerium, Mar 11, 2011.

1. suki-gin

suki-gin Kenkyuusei

Only able to post thoughts just now.
    Matsuyuki posted and thankfully she's safe, relieving to read that the other x48 members are safe <3

It's a sad occurrence and my thoughts are with Japan in this time :cry:
    I can't even imagine how scared and sad it must have been for the people during the entire event.

2. 671_AKB

671_AKB Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Okay it seems that the cat is out of the bag so now i can talk yes AKB and SKE 48 are safe they are here on Guam (ALL OF THEM) for what reason I'm not allowed to say but it is impossible for a Tsunami to his Guam due to the reefs around the Island so it is good to stay that the girls were at a 100% safe location I can't also say when they are leaving but i will keep you posted

3. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

Most of them have already blogged that they are back in Japan.

4. sola0713

sola0713 Kenkyuusei

Hmm, that's different to the 5km I read in Weekend Australian...and a pretty big one at that.

Don't worry, I've got one due at the end of the week, and another the following week. I haven't even dl-ed the assignment task off the system. :awesome:

For some reason, despite all the deaths and carnage that's been caused by the tsunami and quake itself, I'm more emotionally touched by the courage of the power plant workers. Tsunami deaths were inevitable and the people had no idea they were going to die, and it fell on them from behind. BUT the plant workers are going in there knowing they may die and yet are still taking their chances to fix and protect others. Taking death in the face is different to dying without knowing u will, and I almost teared at their bravery.

5. Melos125

Melos125 Kenkyuusei

update on the fukushima daiichi and daini reactors

All is going well now. At the daiichi reactor, as they could not get the reactors going they are using seawater to cool the rods. according to what they said, the cooling process will be completed by 25:00AM JPT. This however will destroy the reactor. Doesn't matter really since it was supposed to be decommissioned at the end of the month. The earlier "explosion" has been confirmed to be a vapour blast, caused by hydrogen when they were releasing steam to reduce the pressure. the vapour blast was at the "operation floor", but the reactor was not breached.

At the daini reactor, they have been releasing steam to reduce the pressure. no other news but it seems to be going well.

Three people however is being treated in Fukushima Hospital for radiation exposure. These were from the earlier 1,015 microsievert in the air. They were standing near the plant waiting for a helicopter evacuation. The radiation level has since been dropping and the last figure was at 70.5 microsievert. Four other people have been injured by the vapour blast.

The worst seems to be over. However aftershocks are still going on few times every hour. Tsunami warning has not been lifted yet. Everyone is still being told to stay away from the coastal areas.

6. sola0713

sola0713 Kenkyuusei

Woot. Thanks Melos, that is great news for us all. So at least now we know there isn't going to be a nuclear meltdown, the Chernobyl speculation is now officially out the window.

I just thought of something.
    Has it ever occurred t u guys, that the simplest solution to prevent any disaster that may follow-up after the nuclear plant explosion is to...

FLICK THE POWER SWITCH OFF?

:awesome:
    No, seriously. I was asking myself why people didn't see it that way when I first read about the incident. :wtf:

7. Melos125

Melos125 Kenkyuusei

The problem with nuclear plants is that you can't just flick the power switch off.
    • Nuclear plants are designed to automatically shut down when there is an earthquake, which it did in the Fukushima Daiichi and Daini plants.
    • However the nuclear rods, the one hearing up the water to produce steam which turns the turbine which generates electricity, is still very very hot and it needs to be cooled down. The cooling process takes 24 to 48 hours.
    • So they have backup battery generators for that, but the one in Fukushima Daiichi was damaged due to the tsunami. The one at the Daini, worked. But the generators last only 8 or so hours, and after that it ran out of power. This caused the pressure buildup.

8. 671_AKB

671_AKB Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Yes and Believe it or not it was really difficult to get them out of here. Because Guam's airport was a complete traffic disaster we had about I think (from what im reading now on the news) 42 flights redirecting here. But anyways we actually pulled it off on bumping some of their flights up from there actual departure time. Im just glad to hear that some of them made it back home safely now they can be with the people that matters the most to them (which is their family) and for the rest that are already on their way may they have a safe return home. before I end this long paragraph there is something I would like to say. As a promise I made to them I will not upload any pictures or videos of what was going on here until they bolg about it so Im sorry about this but as soon as the official details are release I will be sure to start putting up some pictures

9. Llewella

Llewella Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Chernobyl speculation has never been considered by any serious commentator ... And the rest of your comment just shows the extend of your ignorance concerning basic nuclear power processes (and if it was humor, it was a really bad try).
    But I m glad you're feeling better about it anyway.

10. Zobii

Zobii Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    I thought they did as soon as the quake hit. It's just that it takes two days for it to turn offdie down in which they had to cool it down properly all the way... that's why the broken power to the cooling stuff was a problem... because the reactor was still producing heat, or something like that :blink:
    dunno, i know nothing about it... :fear:

11. sola0713

sola0713 Kenkyuusei

I don't think I ever mentioned I was an expert on the matter. I knew it activated the auto-shut down wen the quakes hit, but my 'humour' was intended to be a question regarding to 'why are the reactors still working (and hence the hot rods that caused the vapour leak and the need for battery+water to be sent in), given that the plant was already shutdown'. I was just trying to lighten up the tension, guess it was a pretty bad try like u said. Oh well... :tongue:

---
    Well that's something to really look forward to! Curious though, wat role did u play in the interaction with them? Cameraman? Guide? Translator? :blink:

12. Gobolino

Gobolino Member

It's the only thing that we can extrapolate to the whole planet, that's why.

Earthquakes this magnitude, can only be expected in (Historically) some "not too much populated" areas, JAPAN *AND* Chile (That has the gold medal in earthquakes with the 9,5 one in 1960).

Tsunamis "this big" can be extrapolated in some countries with coasts direct right in front on some plaques junctions... Tsunamis this big but that can't penetrate too much can affect Chile only thanks to the Chain Mountains that put a limit between the sea and the inland and tsunamis can enter only in the "free" zones where river broke to reach the sea. Other countries can only be affected by tsunamis from far away, that can be destructive relatively but can't enter inland at the rate we saw in japan.

On the other side, any country in the globe can put and be affected by a Nuclear Plant "risk".

Other "earthquakes-countries" (yes, I am in one) are thinking also about constructing and relying energy source in nuclear plants, and that's also why this situation is also a "topic" there.

13. Gobolino

Gobolino Member

14. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

I'm glad to read the last news...thank you, guys!!! From the beginning I was wondering why they built nuclear plants by the seashore in a country like Japan with a high probability of tsunamis (specially in the eastern shore). I guess that they decided that having plenty of water near was too important and they built the plants tough enough to resist even a tsunami (as it seems) ;)

15. Blu-Cherri

Blu-Cherri Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oyashizuka
    It takes time for the rods to cool down, a long time.

16. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Oh god, the scaremongering is going at full-speed today :fp: I've seen newspaper headlines like "NUCLEAR BLAST- 45000 PEOPLE FLEE", "APOCALYPSE", etc... :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: Seriously news outlets, people are suffering enough without this fear being manufactured. They should be fucking ashamed.

17. Jasey

Jasey Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Reply a bit late, but this is a fake chain letter. Not actually happening.

18. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    There's also a 'chain letter' going around twitter saying the creator of pokemon died. :fp:

19. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

^ and another one saying that Paris Hilton is a singer (what? did somebody say that it's NOT a fake? :lol: )

20. RocketStarLauncher

RocketStarLauncher Member Retired Staff

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    ^I have two of her songs... I like them.

There's also 'news' going around that the third designer of Hello Kitty died.