1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Event / Concert AKB48 10th Ann. Memorial Event/Theater Ann. Show (15/12/06 and 15/12/08)

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, Sep 6, 2015.

1. trxsh

trxsh Member

I mean.... it's not as if they never sing live. Most of the 365nichi performances have been completely live, though they are just standing there. If they sing live to a more active song then it's accompanied by a track, which I still appreciate; for (recent) example, the first performance of knbmb, tkmn's solo lines were definitely live lol and I could pick out Yukirin's voice easily (her stability is impressive btw, very pro)
    Also, was Sae just such a good singer that no one realised she sang her solo lines in Gomen ne Jewel live? :XD:
    /edit i linked it and it got taken down .... well you know where to look if you want to check lol...
    Sae and Yuko both sang their solo lines live but Mion and Tomu lipsync.

A lot of the performances on AKB48SHOW have been live as well; as a recent example,
    (Furumarion are awesome)
    They lipsync still but at the same time there are actually girls in the group trying rlly hard to improve and be recognized lol...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  2. EinhanderX

EinhanderX Next Girls

That's what bad point about lipsync is. We take it for granted, AND DIDN'T RECOGNIZE GIRLS EFFORT TO IMPROVE, at all.

3. fluffy

fluffy Kenkyuusei

Eh, plenty of the girls in each group sing pretty well and have distinct voices that can be picked out on any song. Sayanee's smokey voice is almost ubiquitous in every NMB single, for example. Early AKB stuff had Takamina written all over it. Kojima Haruna, Miichan, and going far back Oshima Mai, are easy to pick out as well.

As an HKT oshi, plenty of the girls sing fairly well and are fun to pick out when they do something live (Harrupi, Lovetan, Nako, etc). Of course, some are god awful *cough Mio cough* but all of them have made a big effort to improve since their debut.

4. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    MTE, but when you look at western fans the cries are all "THESE AKB GIRLS SO BAD". They probably will never and have never watched a stage in their lives [hehe]

5. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

Look at the spectrum of opinions on singing live vs always lipsyncing just on this forum.

Some are okay with lipsync forever. Some would like middle ground. Some don't like lipsync at all.

If you consider that this forum is just a small subset of people with opinions on lipsynced performances, surely you can extrapolate that the entire world has varied opinions on it as well. Opinions that may well influence - for instance - how interested they are in watching a group's performance.

To say it doesn't matter at all is mere shortsightedness. Longtime AKB fans have been forced to accept lipsync, but we don't have to like it. We enjoy other aspects of the group's performances, so we allow ourselves to gloss over it. However, I've met at least a few people who look down on idols in general for their penchant to lipsync. AKB may garner many more fans if they were able to sing well live. The fact that the attempt to cultivate live singing talent isn't even made within the group is frankly offputting to some who might otherwise be interested in AKB - for one, it looks like a lack of effort. Two, surely they feel AKS is insulting their intelligence with the constant pretension of live singing, when it's usually completely obvious what the girls are actually doing, especially thanks to things like poor lipsyncers and track screw-ups.

No, this may be a small subset of potential fans lost, but contention is garnered over time. When we see increasingly that other idol groups do their performances completely live despite having similarly acrobatic routines dance-wise, while AKB sticks to the old "play a track and pretend to sing" paradigm, it makes AKB look weak in comparison. That must stick in the public's mind when they watch the several music shows competing idol groups make appearances on. And yes, AKB does sometimes do live, but when they do it tends to sound far worse than the other idol groups who have been mostly live their entire careers. It's like night and day when you look at it from an unbiased perspective. Here we have girls dancing hard and singing live in front of the cameras. And here we have girls dancing hard and hiding behind a prerecorded track. Even a fan's perception must sometimes waver in the face of such a discrepancy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    And to those people that look down on groups for lipsyncing, I would just laugh in their face.

Have your preference, but don't look down on others because they're more honest about what they're doing. Just because most groups don't admit to lipsyncing is no reason to trash on honesty.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

7. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

I don't understand what you're implying. That AKB is open and honest about lipsyncing? I think pretty much anyone here could tell you that isn't true. All the fans know, but the groups will never openly acknowledge it. Call it an open secret, but it's still treated as a secret. There is no honesty involved.

8. rabyo

rabyo Kenkyuusei

I think some AKB fan may accept allow lipsyncing.
    But Anti-fan and causal fan maybe not accept about this.

Idol kyary pamyu pamyu western fans and J-fan accept that. Because her cute style and mass hit music.

9. EinhanderX

EinhanderX Next Girls

Not gonna talk about general people acceptance on lipsync-ing. It's a gray area to begin with and always ended with "back to everyone personal taste".
    :shifty:

I commend your reason. While HKT has Mioten, they have spread even talents graph in vocal singing. No Sayanee or Takamina quality. Every girl start in even ground, so you could see each girl progress. I can't say the same with AKB though. And few NMB oshi could do that for their own girls.

10. fluffy

fluffy Kenkyuusei

HKT-wise, second gen has some up and coming quality in the singing department. Jiina's voice is really good, and she continues to work on it. Akiyoshi Yuka is only 15, but has a very nice, deep singing voice that will become decent as she ages and gets more practice.

Our two lost girls, Chiyori and Tani, both sing pretty good too.

I think a lot of international fans are missing opportunities to really see the performances when they only watch TV or DVD's. Stages can be a lot of fun, even if you know all of the songs and have watched it a million times.

11. Doodleboy

Doodleboy Member

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    i brought up the lip sync thing several pages ago. Why is it still being discussed? :(

Let's talk about something else. In a different topic.

12. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    It's about as open and honest as the activity is in Kpop, which quite frankly is about as honest as you'll get.

You'll never see the stupid "I CAN SING SO WELL LIVE LOOK AT ME" bull that you'd get from groups like Tokyo Girls' Style, Morning Musume '15, or E-Girls. People don't boast about their vocal abilities or talents of the group as a whole, because frankly that's beside the point.

13. trxsh

trxsh Member

Even though this discussion already ended, I checked the thread to find something and I'm just seeing @Silenka 's last posts and wanted to comment again lol
    I know of course that AKB has a negative image due to all the lip-syncing. I personally also don't think lip-syncing is wonderful or anything. Idk if you were replying to me specifically, but I wanted to clarify that what I meant with my post is that I do think they put in a bit more effort into trying to change that, and thought the AKB48SHOW performances would be a good example as they are often sung partially or fully live and take up half the show. As I understand, it also has a good time slot (at least better than the likes of AKBINGO) so I see it as a wonderful means of exposure + practice.

The thing is though that most of them are just not that good, lol.

There are a few members who "have it all" right out of the audition in terms of the looks, dance, performance, personality, etc; but I think with the formula of having many about 20x more members than other idol groups and also having an image based on a more "accessible" kind of appeal, they are few and far between. I think even more than singing and dancing skill they try to cast girls with their potential appeal and interest to fans in mind, so fans that are particularly drawn to super cute looks, or a great personality, boobs, etc, have something to choose from.

I know there are many other idol groups with live singing talent (as much as it seems many people are always implying that AKB fans must not know any other idol groups/jpop/music in general lol) and actually, I think the franchise itself already meets this demand for live singing and model-type looks with Nogizaka, while allowing AKB to continue to lean more towards being "girls next door types who are really sweet and normal but working really hard to realize their dreams, oh and hey, they are also really good friends and you can see their antics in the theater every other day!"
    (And I really do see my favourite members working hard and improving over time -.-)

But like I said in my post about the kennins in senbatsu, they can change that whenever they decide it's not working anymore; /edit/ wanted to note also that as the novelty factor and hype is gone, the detractors' opinions naturally become more pervasive, even if the reality may be that the girls themselves are wonderful and actually are making an effort despite the image that's there
    TLDR: 1. I think they are trying to sing live more, 2. they mostly suck, 3. the reason for that might lay in the concept of the group itself.

just wanted to add my $0.02, no need to continue the discussion further if it's not of interest anymore^^

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  14. Open_SaysaMe

Open_SaysaMe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takajoaki
    Twitter:
    Open_SaysaMe
    Is this event going to be released?? I wanted to watch it D: