AKB48 Question & Answer

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by arrowisland, Jun 5, 2007.

1. dutchie

dutchie Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    峯岸みなみ
    to be honest the link to 'hisser' sounds kinda tenuous, it's supposed to come from hoisting sails, which is plausible enough if it weren't for the fact that French influence on Japan was mainly for the army (for a short period that ended after the disastrous German-Franco war of 1870, after which the Japanese turned to the Germans) while for the navy after 1870 they turned to the British in stead of the Dutch.

from @rka's link:
    The origin of “se-no”.
    When the Meiji government made an army, it was modeled on European countries, but the Navy imitated France. When the sail of a sailing ship is stretched, the rope is pulled while saying “Isse, Ise”, but this is also taken as a navy term. It would have long been “Ise → Issey → Isseno → Se”.

one problem with this is ... this isn't the age of sail anymore, the Japanese got their first steamship for their navy from the Dutch, the Kanko Maru
    and as stated previously the there seems to be not really much evidence the navy did model itself on the French
    (and the Japanese knew how to sail and handle sails before even the Portuguese arrived ...)

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Imperial_Japanese_Navy
    "In 1870, an Imperial decree determined that Britain's Royal Navy should be the model for development, instead of the Netherlands.[24]"
    (although they did employ a French naval architect)
    make from it what you will, as often with etymology we just might never know.
    btw iirc... 'heave ho!' is what British sailors use ... Dutch sailors would just use 'één twee' as cadence, the rhythm/timing for all three is the same

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    Jisho shows せえの as the correct form, and gives せいの as irregular kana usage. It doesn't give the history, but gives the definition as

" all together now!; one, two, go!; ready, set, go!; heave, ho!; oops-a-daisy"

3. richard durbano

richard durbano Kenkyuusei

I can't speak any Japanese but I have to mention that whenever the girls are performing my all-time AKB favorite----''shoujo tachi yo'' in a big venue, the leader, formerly Tachimina , then Yui, now Mion will say those two words, ''se no'', to get the girls to start up again on cue. I absolutely love that. It's my favorite part of the song. My two cents.,

4. dutchie

Oshimen:
    峯岸みなみ
    it's perfect for that, that's why in the army commands are often given in such a cadence as well e.g. attennnn-tion (or in dutch 'geeeeft ...acht!) ... first part a bit drawn out to give warning to get ready, latter part short i.e. execute the action now.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  5. gotbild

gotbild Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Like in Swedish: Giiiiv - akt! Interesting this. I have involved my japanese talking friend in this. I wait for his answer but it might take some time.

6. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    In Japan I've often seen trucks and vans belonging to a logistics company called Seino, presumably their name is derived from this exclamation?

440px-Hino_Dutro_Hybrid_003.jpg

7. dutchie

Oshimen:
    峯岸みなみ
    Germanic languages unite :)
    I'm pretty sure the term might be just as archaic in Swedish as it is in Dutch, because it litterally means 'give attention' which in current use is just 'attentie'

8. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Sure. The spelling for some hundreds years ago was Gif akt. But maybe we are a bit OT now. ;)

9. ossan

ossan Member

西 sei : west
    濃 nou : 美濃国(Mino-no-kuni), the old name of Gifu Prefecture

10. dutchie

Oshimen:
    峯岸みなみ
    ow ... I just saw the Rakugo with Miichan in AKBingo ... the moment the ducks are going to fly she goes "Hi no, Hu no' .... must be related :)

11. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    My friend has answered me and he agree with the origin to be french hissez. I wonder if the AKB girls know this? :D

12. Pado10

Pado10 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    Pretty random and totally unrelated to the history of "se-no", but seeing how it was brought up, it reminded me of this show of Sasshi" "140329 Marumaru Henshuusha," where she had to test which form of "se-no", "issenode" etc. was more superior in various ways xD.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  13. soluuloi

soluuloi Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    What the hell is "unfair gimmick"? And being oversexualisation In Sakura no Hanabiratachi? But I have watched the mv, there's not a single "sexual" scene in that mv...

14. lionel90

lionel90 Under Girls

Twitter:
    Lionel_90
    @soluuloi naa, these are 2 completly unrelated exemples.

I don't remember right the details about Sakura no hanabiratachi. In short the different CDs were sold not only with a photo, but customers could collect some special tickets from the CDs.
    The lucky ones who could collect all the tickets could win a special price.
    The record industry deemed this selling strategy unfair.

Some boxes containing 20 CDs can be found on auction type sites. I think it's related.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Polygonsilikon

Polygonsilikon Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Shimazaki Haruka
    What are people talking about? That problem was when a new version of Sakura no hanabiratachi did get released in 2008. That lead to AKBs break with Sony and the creations of the 46 groups. What I understand is that a gimmick like that could not happen with a few months old group releasing a single with two stage songs independently.

16. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    "On its first week, Sakura no Hanabiratachi 2008 sold an almost identical 22,000 copies to its 2006 release, reaching the same #10 spot on the Oricon charts. However, as expected from a re-release, the single did not fare quite as well as the original, selling only 25,000 copies in total as opposed to the original’s 46,000 copies back when AKB48 was less popular.

With the release of its new single, DefStar Records initially planned for an exclusive AKB48 Spring Festival for those who managed to collect all a set of 44 posters (one for each member) given out randomly with purchases of the single at their theater. This lead to a large scandal questioning the label’s crazy gimmicks to increase sales. The idea was eventually scrapped by DefStar as it was in violation of the law.

To “take responsibility” and to avoid the bad publicity surrounding the event, AKB48 self published their next single Baby! Baby! Baby! as a digital download before shifting over to Kodansha’s King Records. They have stayed with the label ever since."

http://48seconds.blogspot.com/2013/02/sakura-no-hanabiratachi-2008.html

17. lionel90

lionel90 Under Girls

Twitter:
    Lionel_90
    Thanks for clarifications.

18. soluuloi

soluuloi Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Which girls has the richest family? I know Yuuka Sugai's family is very rich, but what about the original kami7 and other girls of their generations?

19. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Sometimes, often once a year, AKB48 and the other sistergroups have their shuffles. Management are shuffle the girls criss-cross between the teams. Obviously they haven't warned the girls before. Maybe they, and maybe also the audience, have a sadistic pleasure to see the girls either be happy but also often be upset or become sad and cry. But when they nominate captains, do they really gamble and don't talk with the girls before? Anyone who knows?

20. hermionepj1

hermionepj1 Member

Oshimen:
    Yamashita Emiri
    ^^^
    appointing captains is not a gamble since it's just a meaningless title