1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

AKB48 Question & Answer

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by arrowisland, Jun 5, 2007.

1. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    This probably only adds to the confusion but this onsen theme park in Tokyo which has '大江' in its name transliterates it into 'ooe' on its official website:

https://daiba.ooedoonsen.jp/en/

2. gotbild

gotbild Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    More confusions. If I use Google Translate and put in 大江 and asks for prononciation it sounds like something between Oe and Ohe. The romaji is sometimes written Oe and sometimes Ōe.

3. dutchie

dutchie Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    峯岸みなみ
    大 on it's own is transcribed as Ō as it's a 'long O' ... so if you can't render the macron you can use a 'oo' ... (which will confuse English speakers as it's not the 'oo' in 'good')
    (and to make it even more confusing, they might use a う in hiragana so Tokyo, 東京 → とうきょう)

btw, if you look at the hiragana for her name おおえ ともみ (Ooe Tomomi)

same thing with 先生 せんせい, you might see it transcribed as either 'sensei' or 'sensee'
    (transcription is messy as many a Russian trying to migrate to the west can tell you, many ways to write the same name, e.g. Саша sasha, sascha, sacha etc.)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  4. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    Long O as an initial letter was discussed sometime ago in the wiki thread. All I know is that almost no one writes Ohshima Yuko. You can use a macron or not, but adding the h does nothing to enhance the transcription. Search the wiki for Ohshima Yuko, and you get a redirect.

5. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    It's a different types of pronunciation if a vowel is followed by another vowel compared to being followed by a consonant. You can say osh, ish, ush and so on in one sequence but saying oe, au, eo and so on you have to change your mouth. Maybe this will have some importance?

6. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

This is a real Peoples Front of Judea / Judean Peoples Front problem.

7. dutchie

Oshimen:
    峯岸みなみ
    Splitter!!!! ;)

Meanwhile we managed to fill almost two forum pages discussing the 大 and 江 kanji ... only some 4000 others to go ;)
    maybe a separate thread for @gotbild isn't such a bad idea after all?
    I mean, I find this stuff interesting but the link with AKB is rather strenuous to be honest, any moment a mod might ..... ow wait @sscrla is a mod ;)

btw, proud member of the Judean Popular Front!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  8. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    But this time I didn't even mentioned Akicha. :D But as long as Tomomi once was an AKB48 member I think this subject is ok. I asked my senpai in the japanese language and his conclusion was that none spelling is fully right and none is wrong. It depends on the transkriptions system. Hepburn=Ō, Nihon-shiki and Kunrei-shiki Ô. But it can also be oo, ou and oh. Tomomi herself decides. But I think we can leave this issue now.

9. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Hi. Uncle Gotbild have another question. It's about the song Shonichi. During the song I can hear a low squeak like there is a cricket sitting somewhere. I suppose everyone can hear it but what kind of sound is it? Should it be there or is it a sound error?

10. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    "Ohe" Tomomi is a weird case. It was romanized that way in official material (cf. her DVD and photobook, as well as her member profile in the wayback machine), and a lot of older fan blogs use that spelling too. She's she long "dead", so there's not going to be much new content mentioning her and the bulk of the English content about her will continue to use "Ohe" regardless of what this or any other English wiki does. (Yes, there are slightly more Google results for Oe Tomomi, but actually look at what they are pls.) But it's still a terrible romanization that suggests pronouncing it as O-he instead of the intended Oh-e.

Oo is also one of those things that the Rules for Romanization of Names make exception for, allowing Oh or Oo or O. I do think, for consistency and something-like-accuracy, we should use Oe Tomomi, but this case may warrant a note in her profile page.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  11. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

It's a sampled synthesizer sound, it's definitely not an error. If you listen to the off-vocal version you'll hear the track is very well put together with lots of little sampled sounds here and there with a couple of nice keyboard parts on top of the rhythm track.

12. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Ok, but I would have preferred the song without that sound. :D Maybe the same synthesizer also have been used in Only today?

But when I'm talking about Shonichi, I wonder if someone can write down the initial talking the girls are doing. I know in the rough the meaning but i want it more exact. Romaji and english translation, please.

13. Riina

Riina Future Girls

Twitter:
    48Riina
    いつも 感謝 冷静に 丁寧に 正確に みんなの夢が叶いますように(AKB)チームB!
    Itsumo kansha reisei ni teinei ni seikaku ni minna no yume ga kanaimasu youni (AKB) Team B!

Translation:
    Always thankful, calm (composed), polite, correct, wishing for everyone's dream to come true, (AKB) Team B!

14. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    @Riina Thanks. Now I have saved in my list of japanese quotes.

15. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Are you ready for more questions? It's about this concert: http://stage48.net/wiki/index.php/"Kami_Kouen_Yotei"_AKB48_NHK_Hall_Concert_2009

First, a good translation? Google translate says: God Performance Schedule. Is that ok or is there a better translation? God? Which god?

Anyway, I got very disappointed looking in the DVD box. Only one DVD for 3 concerts! And the setlist didn't match? It took some time until I found a note at the bottom on https://48pedia.org/神公演予定. In translation:

DVD
    "God performance scheduled" * Please note that due to various circumstances, the god performance may not be available. Special BOX (August 8, 2009, AKS)
    Duplicated songs (single collections, SKE48 unit songs, etc.) were cut from the first and second performances and recorded only for the third performance.
    "God performance scheduled" * Please note that due to various circumstances, it may not be a god performance, live DVD (August 8, 2009, AKS)

So that's the explanation, only concert 3 was released on DVD. Now the question: Does anybody know why? "various circumstances"? Did they screw up the two first concerts recordings or what? Nothing to do but I really wanted those recordings. And of course nothing about this mess on Wiki48. Only a note that they "cancelled" Kawasaki Nozomi's graduation. I saw all three graduates there so I wonder... But I didn't watch the whole graduation ceremony, I don't like all the sentimentality. And I don't understand what they are saying anyway, so maybe something happened.

16. dutchie

Oshimen:
    峯岸みなみ
    Google translate gives me this (it stops translating at the asterisk)
    "God performance scheduled, *Please note that due to various circumstances, it may not be a god performance"
    but I would rather interpret it as:
    "Godly performance scheduled, *Please note that due to various circumstances, it may not be a godly performance"

and Kami can just as well be translated with spirit, or divine being or godlike... so, it's not the Abrahamic God for sure.
    It's Japan, so Shinto, were a mountain, a well or a force of nature can be a Kami

17. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    Don't forget the Kami 7 and Paruru, who only gave Shio (Salty) Taiou and never Kami (Godly) Taiou at a handshake.

18. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Then I wonder if the name of the DVD is given because of the DVD mess or was it the name of the concert from the beginning?

19. dutchie

Oshimen:
    峯岸みなみ
    That would make no sense if this is the name that was used before the DVD was released :)

20. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    God's will. :D