1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Another Year, Another Election Massacre

Discussion in 'General NMB48 Discussion' started by joooooooooe, Jun 17, 2018.

1. joooooooooe

joooooooooe Member Retired Staff

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe
    I was at the election yesterday and we just got murdered. For some more of our general thoughts you can check our podcast thread, but I wanted to get a discussion going.

Year after year, it seems like we always have the same excuses over why we do poorly come election time, and yesterday seemed to hurt even more than usual with several substantial drops and very few positives. We watch as other groups seem to rank in these completely random and unexpected members in the election while our senbatsu barely cracks top 100.

It really does hurt knowing that almost all our idols cry because they can't do well.

I would like to see us do well next year, but I don't know what to do. Akarin ran a neat campaign where she said たった一票じゃない which means something like "One vote isn't a waste" and I would really like to see that kind of attitude for next year.

I think Sayaka needs to do a better job leading the team. She is so far ahead of everyone and it feels like she just has her own thing going on--I don't know how you can't hedge that into improving your own group. At best I only feel that the only other member that's boosted by her is Yuuri, and I feel like that's only because of people having lesbian fantasies about them. At this moment there is definitely a wide schism between Sayaka and the other members and I don't see her influence boosting NMB at all. There needs to be some of stronger group unity that we need to feel and I think it needs to come from the top.

If we look at all the other popular members, not many more of them also seem tight with anybody else. Queentet seems like a decent unit but can you imagine any of them hanging out together and thus feeling like they want to join that clique? Or is it more of a side job of everyone to just promote? Miru's never seemed close with anyone ever. Kokochan, our lone success story, is only seemingly close with D1. Even having a rival, like the classic
    Sayaka Mirukii rivalry, was great at bringing out the best in both of them, and I don't feel like there's much of any of that. Strangely, the only true teamwork feeling that I get actually comes from all the bottom tier girls who seem to hang out all the time in the theater.

I think as fans, it might help to actually spur some of that by supporting anyone we can and really doing our best to show that we are a group that likes them. Our NMB section was next to the NGT section and we were all kind of disorganized compared to them. All the ranked NGT members came to our section and thanked the fans and bowed together; our girls couldn't even find our section and just waved separately and left. Maybe that's it, that we just don't look like we care, so the girls sense that and don't want to overreact, leaving to an uneasy feeling between us all.

Either way, I'm still at a loss. i hope we can get it together for next year. I feel like our girls are way more skilled in being entertainers than girls from other teams, and it's kind of sad that we're not giving them the opportunity to showcase it.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 5
  2. sakurazaki

sakurazaki Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemiyuki
    Twitter:
    ec_delacroix
    Positive things about this election:
    - Jo finally ranked. I hope this was not a one-time thing.
    - Akarin managed to stay in senbatsu and even ranked up. I predicted she would fall into the undergirls.
    - Rei & Kokochan are nice surprises.

Now the negatives:
    - What the fuck happened to Uuka & Saepii.
    - Mirurun losing 8k votes and fell 8 places.
    - Aayan didn't rank. Azusa too.
    - I expected Yuuri to rank up to 17 - 20th. But she only ranked up a bit.
    - Nagisa is too stagnant. Counting down the days until management would push the younger gens over her.

• Like Like x 3
  3. wetpantsu

wetpantsu Upcoming Girls

I thought things was going well when Rei got called and then lol Saeppi and Uuka got called. :fear:

I wanted Nagisa to do better but her attitude towards this is just amazing. She's always thankful and appreciative.

I wasn't expecting Miru to do to well but she dropped a whole bunch of votes. :eek: And that look she pulled throughout lmfao. Can't wait for them to drop her. It's Akarin's time!

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pheebs

Pheebs Upcoming Girls

Yes I thought Nagisa would've gotten her rank up (quite a lot actually) but no, about the same situation every year. Hoped that Yuuri would've ranked a bit higher, and of course I am really sad and
    disappointed for Miru to drop out of senbatsu. Even though I am really happy for Akarin, sad to see her alone presenting NMB in senbatsu.

I also thought that after seeing the premlims Kokochan would've ranked higher. Happy for Jo though! Hope to see her increase her rank even more next year <3

• Like Like x 1
  5. icecream

icecream Kenkyuusei

Such a depressing ssk for nmb tbh. NMB should promote better their new gens, not only local but national...

6. LarcKen

LarcKen Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Taguchi Manaka
    Total vote count for ranked members
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. joooooooooe

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe
    There was already some concern over Saepy since people in the community were kind of aware that her fans have been kind of leaving. A drop was expected but certainly not that far.

As for Uuka, her community put together 16k votes for Sokuhou/Early Vote and she finished with like 18k? I don't think she's sold very well at HS at all and it's kind of easy to see that she was carried by whales in prior elections so it's really sad to see that become so evident at this election.

They pushed her votes up by 5k this year so it's really sad that she only moved up a couple ranks. She needed another 6k to break into the 16 spot... that seems like a tall order.

Uuka was devastating. I was in the Yuuri section because I was with @zeroshiki and the Uuka fans were right next to us and came in full force and had sunflowers prepared for when she ranked in. When they announced they didn't even bother to hold out the sunflowers and there was a big gasp within our sections...

It's quite possible. Every year they introduce newer methods to get cheaper votes and it's quite strange to see the votes drop all across the board.

However, the members that Ririka supported (Kokochan and Yuuri) gained a significant amount of votes so it also had the backwards effect on them? It's hard to say.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sakurappu

sakurappu Next Girls

Oshimen:
    idol!Sayaka ✈️ singer!Sayaka
    Twitter:
    sakurappu_
    Definitely the worst SSK year for NMB. Saepii and Uuka dropped, Miru dropped from senbatsu, Yuuri and Nagisa went stagnant, even Ayaan became the only TT senbatsu member (beside those who didn't participate) who didn't rank. Even I think the amount of NMB's votes went dropped (224,954 votes -only higher than STU, and BNK). But we know this year is the most intense SSK year ever (10th SSK, world SSK, SKE wota went insane, etc). At least Akarin still managed to enter senbatsu and Kokochan got ranked!

Actually I'm not sure about the main problem. Exposure? They got Kawaiian TV and YNN (and Manabukun, but sadly it's Kansai-region show), some members become magazine models, but sadly they don't have national tv exposure (no Msta's ). Treatment? Definitely better than other group members. SNS? Only Miiki, 557, and 3rd gen draftees who don't have SNS account. Youtuber? Even Anchu and Airi became Youtuber too. Showroom? Well, I admit our girls are "lazier" compared to other group members -but some members regularly do SR tho.

Or maybe... the main problem is the fans? I'm pretty sure that compared to other group fans, NMB fans have the least interest with SSK thing -especially if their oshi decided to not participated. We know Sayaka voted to those who participated, but I'm not sure if all of her fans voted to other members tho. We've been dedicated tho! But sadly, we aren't that group who do hako-voting or that fan who has 50k Nihonbashira accounts (I actually voted for Azusa 5 times via Nihonbashira method, but sadly I couldn't do more since my card went overlimit :fp:)

Everyone must step up their game for next year SSK. Not only fans, but also members and management. Management must have to do planning about national-level exposure like national tour (and more Msta appearance!), more events (special week is pretty good tbh), maybe push more 5th gen and 3rd gen draftees (along with Yuuri, Ayaan, and probably Nagisa as next gen aces). What about members? Do everything that makes fans stay supporting them (and gain interest from general public or even new fans). Do SR more often (but not like Onishi Momoka -that's in different level), do more gigs, improve themselves (I slightly hope those 4 who join PD48 will gain some experience from korean-style training), also not too depend to our Goddess Sayaka.

What about fans? I admit that's the hardest part, because we know that we aren't like other group fans who went intense so I haven't found the solution yet. Maybe the members should encourage their fans to do more voting (like what Akarin did -but I'm sure all members did the same)? Or those who their oshi don't participate in SSK should do voting for those who participate? Or next year SSK should be held in Kyocera Dome so NMB wota can go all-out like SKE wota did this year? Nah.

Sorry for very long post. Time to translate bunch of Azusa's mobames.

((also this is my first time posting in NMB section. so, yoroshiku!))

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rukuya

Rukuya Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Could NMB having a different management company have to do with this. Cause the money goes to mostly AKS, and there is also the fact that fans know that whatever rank their favorite gets doesn't effects as much. NMB at the end still gets the same amount of members in AKB senbatsu.

Another factor could be their events like concerts. The group in the past year had two/ three graduation concerts and a arena tour. While HKT had like one or two.

As much as I don't want to mention it but. NMB fans tend to be more a different variety of people. While SKE and HKT from what I have seen are your typical old idol fans.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

As I wrote in the other thread, I’m starting to think they are basically losing fans.

When the last single was released and we got the numbers (sold less than their debut), I was hopeful for the election. And the result was worst than ever.

I don’t think being with Yoshimoto matters much. It’s not as if they are holding a gun to the fans heads and telling them what (not) to do with their money.

HKT had a single coming out in the middle of SSK period, they had a tour and they still managed to rank a lot of their girls.

It must be something else.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Shirase Miyuki

Shirase Miyuki Member

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    ...I always thought it was because they fans simply didn't care about the SSK.
    I, as a person who really hates the SSK, I kind of understand them. Maybe this will cause the management to get worried and invest more on them? Who knows.
    I really like NMB so I want them to do better. Especially my oshis, Mirurun and Momorun. (Momorun was still smiling during the whole SSK and she melts my heart every time I look at her.)

12. nvmea

nvmea Under Girls

Oshimen:
    Hongo Yuzuha
    Twitter:
    nvmea
    I remember there was some post last year that explained there are some essential differences between the populations of Nagoya and Tokyo, which are home to the big corporations, and Osaka, which is rather small business orientated? I don't remember it clearly but basically the takeout was that their "buying power" is generally much smaller.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Yeah, I remember someone saying Osaka is the idol graveyard or something like that.

But in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter where they’re based?
    Just because a group is based in Osaka is going to make a person from Tokyo ignore them?

If they are fans, they are fans no matter where they are from.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. icecream

icecream Kenkyuusei

Can't be fans or vote for them if they barely know who the nambas are. Where's the national exposure?
    Their last single was great and no one cared. Why are they not promoting more in music shows?

Some promising members graduated before their peak. Management have to invest in the new faces in order to make them attractive to the public.

15. Rukuya

Rukuya Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    @icecream
    They do invest in members like Yamamoto Ayaka, but it seems that 48 sister groups as a whole can't really get public exposure these days. The only reason why hkt gets to go on MSta is because of Sasshi. Sayanee just isn't strong compared to her. And I also feel like AkiP just doesn't have a favorite in NMB unlike Jurina and Sakura for SKE and HKT. He is like meh with all the NMB members.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

16. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    The things I see from nmb is like the fans doesn't really care anymore , maybe. The single sold less, the concert not sold out, ssk disaster
    Nmb always feels like step sister from akb, not really have many concert,show together.
    Rarely perform on msta or other music show they kinda vanished sometimes
    Honestly I don't really think that Kyocera dome as ssk place gonna help even just a little , I don't know if fans doesn't care about ssk, I just wish for nmb to just not participate in it . All of them .

17. zeroshiki

zeroshiki Member

Oshimen:
    aaabbbccc
    Where are you getting that their concert didn't sell out? Is it the no-Sayaka concert 2 years ago? Because they re-did it and it did sell out.

I've said my peace on the podcast so I won't re-hash it but it was a terrible day but not fatal.

18. joooooooooe

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe
    There's a suggestion that NMB theater is a really good experience, hence, you'll see NMB be packed when HS comes to Osaka compared to other venues. Even bottom tier girls will always have a few people in their line.

So I'm not sure what it is. And certainly we can say that Niigata is nowhere near the level of Osaka as a city so we can rule out that economic factor.

19. flutterbyu

flutterbyu Member

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    I'm not in Japan at right now, so I can't speak for the NMB fans, but it seems like maybe they need more organization and more of a team spirit themselves? I think the SKE fans have the idea of pulling together to support the girls with SSK and the NGT fans had the same thing going with Request Hour, and the NMB fans just seem to have less of a community spirit. If you feel like you are contributing to a larger cause, you know you can count on others to vote for your girl too, and your votes aren't being wasted, you're probably more excited about getting votes in.

I also feel that NMB has had a similar problem with AKB with replacing their graduated members successfully. Akarin and Miru (and of course Sayaka) are all first gen., and most of the few successful girls from later gens (Shuu, Fuuko, Ririka) have graduated. Other than Yuuri and Nagisa, I haven't seen many standout members from later generations who are still around. I don't know if the problem is the members themselves or how they are promoted, but it seems like a similar problem to what AKB has been having since their original aces graduated. SKE has been really successful at bringing up their new generation members, and HKT and especially NGT still have most of their original aces.

20. LarcKen

LarcKen Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Taguchi Manaka
    Or maybe we're all just overthinking it, and it just comes down to that Osakans are a bunch of cheapskates, err..sorry i mean very careful with their money. :fear:
    Just like that slender glasses guy that often participate on AKB group's discussion panel said.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018