1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Attending AKB48 handshakes: how-to (work in progress)

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Mr Waffle, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Chrissel

Chrissel Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Sugiyama Aika
    Twitter:
    kurisuuu48
    I guess what annoys me the most is that it was more or less out of nowhere, so many foreign fans were left stranded with a bunch of CDs they can't pay. Just do some announcement and fine.

2. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    It’s not just anything AKB-related that has problems for foreigners, the Tokyo Skytree website has an advance reservation webpage which is only in Japanese and which will only accept Japanese credit cards. I’m wondering what will happen with the 2020 Olympics and how difficult it’ll be for foreigners to get tickets outside of limited quantities sent to overseas agencies.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. tuxedo_gin

tuxedo_gin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    onishimomoka
    Hell, half of Japanese websites can't manage foreigner's names. Between my bank here and all my utilities and other accounts, I have probably 4 or 5 different versions of my name because everybody has different restrictions on length and type of characters allowed. It's a real mess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. aspen_552001

aspen_552001 Kenkyuusei

A few of questions:

1) I can apply for a JCB credit card at my local bank. Does it still count as having a foreign credit card?

2) Are there forms of prepaid card like Nintendo or PSN cards that they accept and we can pay with?

3) So AMEX is 100% accepted?

Thanks in advance.

5. Sakuraism

Sakuraism Member Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    andilee1989
    JCB is Japanese, so yes it works. AMEX works only because its tied with JCB now. I can't say 100%, but at least I know people who are able to pay with JCB and AMEX.

For prepaid cards I was more of leaning towards Japanese chargable visa or master card. I dont know the complication in getting them but in theory if you have no prolli charging them with a foreign CC u should be able to be pay with it no problem

6. aspen_552001

aspen_552001 Kenkyuusei

Thanks for the reply.

I have not balloted at chara ani since last year and I have paid. I have been using a Mastercard from a foreign bank. It works. I am just worried that it won't work anymore.

7. Chrissel

Oshimen:
    Sugiyama Aika
    Twitter:
    kurisuuu48
    It worked last year, the creditcard-ban is effective from this single onward

8. extomomi

extomomi Kenkyuusei

Thanks for asking chara-ani for us. At least we can plan ahead for future singles

9. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    Getting a JCB card in the US is not possible. They have discontinued issuing and honoring their own card.
    JCB Standard Card
    Rates & Disclosures
    As of April 30, 2018 JCB has discontinued the service of this product. Please refer to the FAQ for details.

https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers/jcb-standard-card/

The faq says you can’t get a JCB card from Japan or any other country if you live in the US.

10. Puni

Puni Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Twitter:
    puni_2k
    Skytree off-topic:
    If you are willing to pay the extra you can use the small foreigner counter that hides in the Skytree lobby.
    1. Show you passport
    2. pay
    3. go past the pleb queue directly to your elevator
    4. enjoy your stay
    Total wait time: less than 10 minutes

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. Tuhis

Tuhis Member

Oshimen:
    Furuhata Nao
    Has anyone tried Diners Club?

12. aspen_552001

aspen_552001 Kenkyuusei

How do we plan if we can't even pay? :lol:

13. extomomi

extomomi Kenkyuusei

open an Amex account and use it until it gets blocked too lol
    I almost applied for a 0% foreign transaction fee master card. Thank god I didn't since i won't even be able to use it

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Chrissel

Oshimen:
    Sugiyama Aika
    Twitter:
    kurisuuu48
    For example find someone in Japan who can pay for you ;)

15. aspen_552001

aspen_552001 Kenkyuusei

I could but I think I will wait a little while and see how the situation plays out. There's nothing that interest me at chara ani at the moment. :)

16. xcrossfacekillahx

xcrossfacekillahx Member

Oshimen:
    hondahitomi
    Twitter:
    crossfacekillah
    I have never tried it but someone who usually has that card has MasterCard in front of it since they partnered with them. In that case, I doubt it can be used.

17. Puni

Puni Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Twitter:
    puni_2k
    Diners Club is owned by Discover Financial which also issues Discover Card. The later is in an alliance with JCB much the same way as Amex.

From https://www.global.jcb/en/merchants/
    Screenshot-2018-5-8 Merchants JCB Global Website.png
    Note that this not about paying with Diners Club at a JCB service but the other way round but in theory it could work.

Somebody has to try ^^

18. extomomi

extomomi Kenkyuusei

I've tried my discover card which technically should work as a JCB card in japan but it didn't work
    So.... i doubt if Diners club will work too

19. lionel90

lionel90 Under Girls

Twitter:
    Lionel_90
    So basically, any cards they can identify as foreign cards are not usable anymore.

20. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Someone said that for AKS, international fame isn't important.

WTF. They aren't aware that members would be extremely happy if they have fans outside Japan. Imagine if a member encountered a fan from Wakanda in her lane, she'd reply すごいい and make Wakanda Forever Gesture. Maybe in the future Wakanda would have not only Starbucks but also an overseas 48 group.

How about 46? Can still buy handshakes with foreign credit card? Fans from a galaxy far far away would be angry because they couldn't have handshakes with Yoda anymore then they'd send Death Star and make Earth another Alderaan.

• Old Old x 1