1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Best and worst singers in 48G

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Crests, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Crests

Crests Member

Oshimen:
    Chen GuanHui
    Twitter:
    xiaoaishiteru
    I looked and I didn't see a thread like this? I thought it would exist, or maybe it does and I missed it.
    So yeah, who do you think are the best and/or worst singers? Proof is always appreciated, and even if you wanna list a bunch of members or put them into tiers that's cool haha.

Anyways, I vote Xu ChenChen for best.

if the video does not show watch the video here
    #slay

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. junjou19

junjou19 Member

Proof? Isn't knowing the girl's voice enough proof? Or should we list their songs?
    Best: Yamamoto Sayaka, Kuramochi Asuka (frequently underrated), Nishikunihara Reiko (VERY underrated)

3. Crests

Crests Member

Oshimen:
    Chen GuanHui
    Twitter:
    xiaoaishiteru
    By proof I mean like videos and stuff, just adds a bit more to the thread haha

And yes, Rachel! I'm always sad when there's discussions like these and she's completely left out

4. Galaxy Red

Galaxy Red Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    IMO best and worst in singing definition sometimes are biased by personal preferences of voice type. and not to mention oshi bias is also one factor. but I will try my best to get rid of those factors :D

best for me: Yuka Masuda, Sayaka Akimoto (can we also count graduated member? :) ), Minami Takahashi. spoiler for videos
    Yuka:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hotJcMJK0ng[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQkkzDgFec[/yt]
    Sayaka:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CQzmge63Jo[/yt]
    Takamina:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ8T5-kfI7U[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdAokYq_sp0[/yt]

I'm relatively new to 48G so I haven't researched for other girls from whole 48G. but thank you for showing Xu ChenChen video. she is amazing!!! :inlove:

5. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Well, there was this thread...

http://stage48.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6822

Although it didn't get too far. I am glad you asked this question. But before I get to my "evidence" I want to clarify someing with Crests...

@Crests I would never think to exclude Rachel from a conversation about singing. Look at my sig. If anyone appreciates her singing, it's me! However, she did graduate two years ago. And SDN was always treated like somewhat of a separate entity. So she doesn't immediately come to mind when talking about best singers in AKB48G. Going a little further with SDN, and i am sure you will agree, Chaki really never got recognized properly for her singing skills. She was probably second best to Rachel, but she is really good. I hope you are picking up her solo single...

But Wasamin. Yes, I will admit it does rub me the wrong way when people ignore her in this conversation. Not to mention when people label her as overrated. In this part of the fandom? Overrated? The fact is most of the people around this forum ignore her because she is never pushed. Underrated is more like it.

Say you don't like the type of music she performs? Fine. Her vocal style is not to your taste? Fine. But saying she is overrated? Bullshit! In fact that is a trolling statement. I doubt anyone who has dismissed her like that has ever taken the time to really listen to her. Bottom line, she is one of very few members in the history of the 48G that you can make a case based on resume and accomplishments. In other words, FACTUAL EVIDENCE.

1) She had vocal training before she ever set foot in an AKB audition

2) Noted for her singing performance in AKB Kagekidan...at the age of 14 while she was still a kenkyuusei.

3) Won the grand prize for her performance at AKB48 Aki Matsuri 2010 If you watch that performance you might notice the audience gasped when she started singing. People couldn't believe how good she was. By the way, as good as she performed Tsugaru Kaikyo Fuyu-geshiki back then when she was 15...She performs exponentially better now!

4) Won the AKBingo! Diva contest not once, but twice. The first time beating Haachan...and most notably Masuda Yuka, who most everybody around here seems to believe is by far the better singer. The second time she won while performing with a throat ailment, beating MiyuMiyu, Umeda and Komariko among others. So in this venue she is unbeaten by any other AKB48G member.

Note: I remember that some of the Yuka fans sort of threw Wasamin under the bus after the first contest, which is why for a while I gave the Yuka fans a hard time. They were practically "polishing the trophy" for her when that contest was announced, so I guess the sour grapes afterward were to be expected. It isn't that I don't like Yuka, I have always thought she was great. And I by no means am trying to put down her abilites. I remember how impressed I always was with her when I would see Team K at the theater. From what I have heard she is doing great with her stage work since she graduated from AKB. However, I do take umbrage with the "she's unarguably the best singer" routine. Based on what evidence?

5) Signed by Nagara Pro, an agency not known to represent AKB idols for the sole purpose of grooming and marketing her as a singing talent.

6) On her resume... She has performed duets with artists like Miwa and Jounouchi Sanae. Collaborated with Akimoto Junko. Has appeared on multiple musical showcase tv programs that do not feature idols. She has performed in musicals. And she has been invited to perform the National Anthem at Hiroshima Mazda Zoom-Zoom Stadium on April 11th.

7) Recorded a full album of Japanese classics. Performed each song LIVE multiple times on her short Japan tour. I was there, and her performances were top notch. If you don't believe me, there were a few other S48 dwellers in attendance who will surely back me on this statement. Better yet, go listen to the CD!

8) Repeatedly noted for her solo performances at AKB48 National Handshake events. Always asked to sing at Anta Dare.

The bottom line is that whatever you think of her material, her talent as a singer cannot be denied.

Of course she is not the only good singer in AKB. There are other talented members within the groups. And if there were more singing contests there is certainly the chance that another member could out-sing Wasamin. But that hasn't happened yet.

There are other members that have shown that they might have a future as a soloist. Girls like Yukirin, Mayuyu. You never know...Who would have thought Erepyon would be releasing solo music?

Then you have members like Iwata, Miyu Miyu, Haachan who are waiting for more chances to show off their abilities. By the way, I do not profess to know all of the good 48 singers within the 48 groups. I know people have mentioned Furukawa Airi, among others. If they are so great (and I'm not saying they aren't) then lets hear more from them! I have never listened to Xu ChenChen before because I haven't followed SNH. But the video Crests linked is very nice.

Unfortunately AKB48G's management have this uncanny ability for ignoring their better singing talent, and it's too bad.

So when a conversation about "best singers"comes up in this fandom, Wasamin should ALWAYS be included. Her resume and ability commands it. Leaving her out of a "best 48G singers" debate is tantamount to leaving Jimi Hendrix out of a best rock guitarists conversation. Unfortunately that's par for the course when 90% of the focus around this forum is strictly on the Senbatsu.

So there ya go...

As far as worst singers in AKB48G, I don't really like going down that route. Although admittedly there is one particular member who often gets brought up in the "best singers" conversation who I think is mediocre at best. Frankly I am dumbfounded at her inclusion in the conversation.

Oh, and Tomonaga's singing is awful! She's cute, but can't sing to save her life. [hehe]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  6. cubozoa

cubozoa Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    suzumotomiyu
    Twitter:
    Cubozoa48
    Worst is probably Tomonaga Mio I've never heard anyone worse than her, not even in my schooltime. [hehe]
    She said she's tone-deaf^

~7:30

Best singer in HKT is Naopon

(Umechan position)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  7. EvenOdds

EvenOdds Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuirena
    Umeda Ayaka @ 8:30

Sayanee sings after her

8. Deyan

Deyan Member

Twitter:
    MrWeilai
    To me, Wasamin is by far the best singer in the 48groups. I am not going to develop this, Cristafari already did and did it better than I would have. I think I'll always remember the first time I heard her version of Ettou Tsubame. I literally teared up. I knew her voice (Mujin Eki has been one of my fav songs since the day it's been released), and I already liked the original song. But her version is just so touching. Wasamin doesn't only have a good voice and the ability to sing in tune, she also conveys a lot of feelings with her voice. That's what makes her special and even more special in the idol world.

Sayanee would probably be my second choice after Wasamin. She can sing and has a pretty voice. Sayanee is the perfect package and I'm looking forward to seeing her releasing a solo single.

I already had a conversation on the SNH forum about Xu ChenChen who is also one of the most beautiful voices in ALL48. And of course Rachel was at her time the best singer in ALL48.

I'm probably not gonna make friends by saying that, but most of the other girls that are currently members can definitely not sing. But it doesn't matter because in the end, that's not what matters the most when it comes to being an idol.

9. ForrestFuller

ForrestFuller Senbatsu

Umeda and Masuda I think are the best singers in AKB48G's. That AKBINGO episode proved why those two were.

10. EvenOdds

EvenOdds Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuirena

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  11. kenziekinz

kenziekinz Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    aaabbbccc

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  12. Jayden

Jayden Kenkyuusei

Best: Wasamin, Haachan, Sayanee, Airin come to mind. Lovely voices. The whole of no3b also come to mind.

Worst: Well.. Mio is really bad at singing. Acchan when live singing is horrid as well (she sounds really nice after the doctoring they do in the studio though). Sasshi is a mixed bag, though I do love her distinctive voice.

13. mincl17

mincl17 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami

And yeah, Acchan sucks at singing before that's why Takamina is usually the center or the 2 of them sings together..
    Takamina is the best before and forever will be :) The only one with a deep and resonating voice..
    I want to post the most recent live performance in the National Stadium where she sang her solo part in Yuuhi Wo Miteruka but then it bcame private so I guess this will do...

Its sad to say that she usually strain her voice die to scolding slacking members and giving instructions every now and then before their performance...

Miichan, Nyan, Yui, Sae, and Sayanee are good too.

Yuko is not really a good singer but her charm and the way she performs covers up what she's lacking. Singing isn't her forte but is one of the best dancers in AKB.

14. Cloudeskies

Cloudeskies Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    sasakiyukari
    Best Singers in my opinion are: Haachan, Wasamin and how come no one mentions MiyuMiyu =(
    Not so good Singer would be Miochan

15. moomookan

moomookan Member Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    Yamauchi Mizuki, Yagi Toa
    When it comes to pure vocal talent, I think Wasamin is the best singer in AKB. Even if you don't like enka, you can't deny that she's talented. Its incredibly difficult to hit notes like that with such clarity. I don't think many other AKB members could do it so well and so consistently like she can.

There are a lot of AKB members whose voices I like though. Minegishi Minami, Katayama Haruka, Tano Yuka, Nakamura Mariko, Iwata Karen, and Kojima Mako to name a few.
    I think Karen is especially talented. Her voice is incredibly clear and mature for a girl her age. Here is the rendition of Yokaze no Shiwaza she sang when she was 13.

I dare not share my unpopular opinion about Takamina's voice because that's going to cause problems here LOL

16. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Hey, I mentioned Miyu Miyu!

Not with me. Oops, my secret is out. :whistle:

Suffice it to say I find some of the replies in this thread interesting, to say the least. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

17. Cloudeskies

Cloudeskies Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    sasakiyukari
    @Cristafari
    Sorry!!! I Kinda forgot hahaha!
    Anyways! I think i should put these here too!
    I really like MiyuMiyu's Voice! ^_^

Edit:
    Found them but its from her G+
    Do take sometime to listen! Its really great!
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/102440721186115061522/posts/MCTfGxYJ7EM
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...5912203644459012338&oid=102440721186115061522
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...5914009731494332786&oid=102440721186115061522
    https://plus.google.com/102440721186115061522/posts/e8vev4GXs21

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  18. Galaxy Red

Galaxy Red Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    now I understand why you guys praise wasamin really high. just watching some of her performance videos and MV. and I will say I'm really impressed. her voice is really consistent. almost same between studio recording and live IMO. I am not really enjoying enka and it hesitates me to listening her singing at first, but now I'll say her voice is really great, technically and feeling wise. I would love to see her singing another genre beside enka song. can someone give me references?

I really want to hear about your opinion. if you afraid of offending people, you could PM me. I would like to hear people opinion about her singing:)

19. jeauexe

jeauexe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kinoshitamomoka
    Twitter:
    jeauexe
    I'm going to come out and say the thing that a lot of people are probably thinking:

Takamina is not as great of a singer that everyone praises her to be, and she probably won't make it with a solo career as an artist if she doesn't improve. The second half of that sentence is just my pure reasoning, but her voice definitely doesn't stand strong enough to be singing on her own. I bought Jane Doe because I love her and I want to support her, she was my original 48g oshi and she is still one of my favourite members. So I'm saying this while putting my oshi bias aside. But frankly speaking, in terms of singing technique- live singing technique in particular, it's not really one of her strengths.

If you watch her Jane Doe performance in Budoukan where you can tell she does sing live, she has trouble changing notes without sliding, she sometimes has trouble hitting notes and she tends to go nasally sometimes. I know she's probably nervous and there's probably a million other factors or something going on backstage, but the thing is, the people watching don't know that. And in here, she really does fall flat. Even in the above linked acoustic Beginner, she slides into her notes rather than hitting them in one go, and she does slide into a nasally voice.

She's definitely a decent singer most of the time, she has a very strong voice as well but she's definitely not the singing superstar that a lot of people in the 48 fandom tend to preach. She's quite shaky when she sings live, and I'm not personally a big fan of her tone :/ Even out of no3b I actually prefer Miichan's voice more. This could just be me being really negative but I feel like with her current skillset she's really going to struggle as a solo singer.

I think Takamina's strengths lie in her variety and talk shows- I really really love her in Domoto Kyoudai, which is a fantastic show. She is naturally quite funny imo. Other than that, she's great at behind-the-scenes management and leadership activities. I honestly think this is where she shines the most, either when she's letting go and having fun chatting with people she's obviously on great terms with, or where she's showing spirit as a leader and helping develop her kouhai, and this is where I love seeing her the most.

Anyway back on topic, in terms of voices, who I think have great voices and who I like listening to with links! I find that the new stage update doesn't show links very well so I hope they fix that. All the songs have links attached!

- Furukawa Airi (Stunning voice. She's got lovely deep tones in her voice, and Manazashi Sayonara really shows it off. I'll link Airin to the next girl I'm talking about as well)

- Sato Mieko (She made it to the final round of Miyamoto Amon's The Wiz auditions and she has a great voice. Very underrated. Both her and Airin are in this fantastic performance of Namida no Shounan)

- Yamamoto Sayaka (She doesn't necessarily have a large range, but where she can comfortably reach she has a beautiful tone colour and her live singing of Yume no Dead Body has been getting a lot better recently, as compared to the shonichi where she struggled to hit the low notes in the verses and the higher notes at the end of the chorus. That one is the latest performance I could find uploaded, and if you guys compare it to N3 shonichi, she's gotten so much better.)

- Kuramochi Asuka (I'm personally a huge fan of her deeper, husky voice, it's really beautiful in Dakishimeraretara. It's a pity her solo single didn't really showcase it very well.)

- Katayama Haruka (Honestly, she slammed Itoshisa no Accel when undering for Takamina. Maybe even sang it better, depending on who you ask. Her performance of Confession at Yokohama Arena has always remained in my mind. Actually that whole performance is really great, all four of them are excellent in this. It'd probably better than the original if it wasn't for the energy Yuko brought to it, or Sayaka's voice tbh.)

- Iwasa Misaki (Lots of things have been said about Wasamin already, so I'm just going to direct you to the above posts for more detail. She can slide between enka songs as well as non-enka as well which she proved in the Diva Championships in AKBINGO.)

- Akiyoshi Yuka (I only very loosely follow HKT so I'm not too sure on her inclusion because I haven't really heard her sing anything else but I was really impressed with her performing Touch on HKT no Odekake. She starts singing from about 9:20. Didn't expect such a powerful voice from her!)

Grad members:

- Akimoto Sayaka (First of all, this performance of Mushi no Ballad, you can tell it's sung live because she gets emotional and starts crying and it's pretty amazing to watch. Probably my favourite performance of Mushi no Ballad ever. Her Kimi wa Pegasus in Kagekidan was excellent sung live. Skip to about 2:00 for the singing. I personally love the tone to the voice, and she's great in Itoshiki Natasha too. I think Yuttan was supposed to be in Natasha instead of Chikarina, which would've made this shuffle perfect tbh.)

- Sato Natsuki (I linked Dakishimeraretara and Natasha before, but she's great in this cover of DREAMS COME TRUE's Mirai Yosouzu II which is sung live! And live again, a cover of Time after Time by Cindi Lauper. She's got a beautiful vibrato. Ori K was loaded with singing talent and Nacchi was totally underrated while in AKB, which is quite sad.)

- Masuda Yuka (Can't write one of these lists without Yuttan in it. Technically a brilliant voice, if a little generic. I personally loved her singing Morai Naki so I included this.)

- Nishikunihara Reika (Rachel is great and so very underrated like some other people have been saying in the above posts. This is her in Ai yo, Ugokanaide)

- Akita Kazue (She has a great voice as well! She's great in Yuuwaku no Garter, her solo lines are perfect. She sings second, and she has that lovely husky voice. She's also fantastic in Saturday Night Party, she also sings second for this song and is on the very left.)

This isn't a complete list by any means. I think a lot of it does come down to preference though, I find I prefer the deeper voices so that's why a lot of the members listed here have that sort of voice. I might post some more if I remember any more!

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  20. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    ^WOW, I couldn't have said it any better. That is EXACTLY how I feel about Takamina as a singer. She's not the worst singer by any stretch and she does have the ability to project well. But she is often flat (even in the videos people have posted) and almost always singing in a nasally tone.