1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Dear stage48 fans, how much Japanese do you know?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by rogela, Apr 9, 2018.

?

What is your level of Japanese?

1. Negligible or kana level

27 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Around N4~N5 level

23 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Around N3 level

13 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Around N2 level

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. Around N1 level

9 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. No idea, can watch AKBINGO without much difficulty

14 vote(s)
    14.7%
  7. Native

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. rogela

rogela Kenkyuusei

I am curious about the linguistic demography of this forum. Please feel free to elaborate on other issues regarding the Japanese language.

2. singlepersona

singlepersona Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    Been learning since I plan on going there for vacation. Would say I have the language capabilities of a Japanese 3 year old. Good basic vocabulary but grammar is way too hard.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

3. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    N1 is already considered pretty native lol or do you mean like local local dialects and stuff lololol

Edit: Perhaps you meant being a Japanese person on s48??

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  4. CrssA

CrssA Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    I’m surpassing n2 almost 1 year and a half but never try n1.

to remembering all the kanji they have was tired af lmao . since you’ll not need this one for HS or watching reality shows tho loll

5. Spoony Rice

Spoony Rice Member

Oshimen:
    込山榛香
    Twitter:
    Spoony_Rice
    I don't know my level but I'm in Japanese 3/4

6. rogela

rogela Kenkyuusei

Good luck with grammar and have a good time~ Japan is indeed worth many visits.

Yes, I actually meant that. And quite surprised there's even one vote lol

Indeed! My friends say that N1 exam is 90% N2 grammar and 10% new, yet you'd have to remember all N1 grammar that the Japanese never use...

7. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    Sorry that would be my vote gunna switch that real quick to N1

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

8. rogela

rogela Kenkyuusei

Yayaya, N1 is nevertheless very impressive and my next goal lol.

9. Nieru

Nieru Kenkyuusei

There is little incentive to get up to so called N1 level, because I feel like the amount of Japanese to get by fluently makes N2 easy, but N1 really requires drilling and studying for more academic purposes. You can always get better at Japanese in other ways that don't conform to the standardized tests.

10. kanjo

kanjo Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    My biggest challenge is the grammar. I'm "about" N1 level but there's so much grammar that I've never come across in years of Japanese study and 8 months of work in Japanese and it's probably going to be my biggest hurdle because it won't stay in my head as I've no familiarity with it.

11. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    I did a 10-week evening course at my local college just over a year ago but I didn't seem to come away with very much. The teacher spent a lot of time with Hiragana and numbers which of course is no bad thing but there wasn't all that much conversational stuff. At least when I met members at a 2-shot last year I could make very basic conversation but that was about it. I certainly can't speak anything like fluent Japanese with anyone, which is partly why I've included Rara and Renachan in my tickets for next month! :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Meh, I chose N4 level but I have never taken the JLPT, so I really don't know. I'm taking "Intermediate Japanese 2" right now, but I struggle a bit. Like many, kanji is my kryptonite. It's difficult to remember them all unless you put them into regular practice. I am good with grammar rules, and I have a pretty good vocabulary. I am able to have basic conversations, but ultimately I'm a bit slow because I still mentally translate everything as I hear it and/or say it, and get overwhelmed easily.

Luckily for me, certain idols understand my skill set, and tailor their conversations with me to make it easier (Akiyoshi, Kaotan)

13. OshimaYuko

OshimaYuko Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimamako
    I'd say I'm definitely around a n5/n4 level. I never really have trouble with learning new stuff it is just finding the time to study at all since there is a lot to learn. Most days I only have the time to go over my Anki revision.

Hopefully I will be going to Japan in Autumn so I am trying to cram in as much as I can before then.

14. Humbucker

Humbucker Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Sashihara Rino
    Hard to choose an alternative.

Native level in listening/speaking (Japaneses can't identify I'm a foreigner when I talk to them)

BUT

Perhaps around N4~N5 level in reading/writing without using tools? (I don't know, never took a formal class or those tests)

Practically an illiterate in Japanese. :XD:

15. infinitehippos

infinitehippos Member

I'm going to guess around N5 but I haven't done anything in the realm of exams (just private lessons for quite some time) ... but I'm a bit unbalanced in what I know, weak in some areas but very strong in others ...

16. Haruka Suzuki

Haruka Suzuki Member

Oshimen:
    Isogai Kanon
    I don't even know Japanese lol. I tried to study hiragana once on my own (which was not that difficult actually) but then gave up half way through because I thought learning hiragana was not rewarding as I still need to study katakana and kanji, and that would be too much dedication for someone who can't afford to study yet another language like me (due to academic reason)

However, I can sort of understand some words, like otaku level lol, but I would not consider that as actually knowing Japanese

17. kyoto48☀︎☂

kyoto48☀︎☂ Member

I'd say I'm "about N1" in speaking, listening, reading, and writing. But all the crazy grammar that will basically never be used makes me not want to even take the N1 test. I passed N2 a while back though, so I chose "about N2". I don't think I'm going to study anymore, because the rest won't ever be used in daily life lol

18. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

I've taken the practice test a few times on the JLPT website and I'm about N2, there are definitely areas that I'm better at than others and I strongly believe I would need to go visit Japan and immerse myself to finish my education in Japanese, but because of my foundation in the language I don't think it would be difficult for me to achieve that if I did go. Kanji is a weak point, of course :^^;: Vocabulary is the other weakness, there are like a billion Japanese words and many aren't commonly used.

19. flutterbyu

flutterbyu Member

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    I'd say N3 for speaking and listening but lower for reading and writing. I took 5 years of Japanese and lived in Japan for 2 years. While I was living in Japan I improved a lot on vocabulary, listening, speaking, grammar, etc. but I didn't really keep up with studying any kanji, so I've pretty majorly lagged behind in that.

20. Husky

Husky Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    gotomoe
    I passed N3 two years ago, now I think I am a lot better, but not sure how exactly;)
    Watching japanese tv is still a little chalanging for me, but it is good - I love to practise language by akb stuff:)

(Btw lately I use more japanese then english so I write on this forum as language study as well, heh)

• Like Like x 1