Dear stage48 fans, how much Japanese do you know?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by rogela, Apr 9, 2018.

?

What is your level of Japanese?

1. Negligible or kana level

27 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Around N4~N5 level

23 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Around N3 level

13 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Around N2 level

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. Around N1 level

9 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. No idea, can watch AKBINGO without much difficulty

14 vote(s)
    14.7%
  7. Native

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. firecoral

firecoral Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    mukaichimion
    I’d say I’m somewhere between N4 and N3 level. Closer to N3. I started studying for the N3 test a couple years ago but then I got a full time job and I haven’t made much time to keep up with Japanese studies outside of occasionally reading 48 members’ twitters. So I’m rusty again.

2. Rukuya

Rukuya Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    As someone who is probably one of the youngest in forum, I can understand the basics of what is going on, but lack a lot vocabulary knowledge. Currently I'm studying the language on my own for the past month and haved learned about 200 kanji and basic words.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

3. jessiejinx

jessiejinx Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Sakaki Miyu (Cuca)
    I don't know my Japanese level but it's very basic (I'm still learning!) I can introduce myself and string a sentence together tho!

- I will not ever go near kanji (only if I want a headache) I know hiragana (kana partly) by heart though

4. RedBug

RedBug Member

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    I voted around N5~N4 for my grammar, listening and speaking, but I'm not really sure because I've never taken the JLPT test, only the simulation one. As for writing, actually I've already started learning the N3 kanjis, but somehow got distracted and stopped for a few months, lol.
    It's fun learning kanji, because when I've learned some set of kanji, I tried to re-write 48/46 lyrics or some part of it by myself. That way I can make myself get used to kanji.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Riina

Riina Future Girls

Twitter:
    48Riina
    I study Japanese at university and plan to take N2 this year. Although I haven't took/passed N2 yet, I chose that level since I think this is the closest to my actual knowledge :)

Although I'm better in some areas than others, for example, I can understand spoken Japanese pretty well unless it's dialects, slang, or keigo :^^;: I suck at kanji though, especially writing - I got even worse since I moved to Japan, since my uni in my home country actually made us write kanji, wherease my Japanese uni is just fine with us knowing the readings and use.

6. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    At least if I'm in Japan now and stay in an internet cafe, I can change PC & Chrome language from Japanese to English.

Yes, visitors can stay in internet cafes in Japan, some are just ¥3500 a night just like most hostels and have bathroom and free beverages for visitors.

7. Kiarararara

Kiarararara Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    JLPT does not have writing and speaking so really it is rather misleading. And most of the grammars on N1 are not usually used anyway.

I took N2 one year ago and learnt everything necessary for N1. My speaking is about N2. For listening I am comfortable with standard and Kansai-ben and keigo and such but can’t do with all the slang words Japanese young people use + really old oji-san’s talking. I’ll still rate myself at N1 since listening, reading and writing wise I am pretty sure the lectures in my university are at least that level.

@Riina : My university is the same lmao, even the professors get the kanjis wrong sometimes and many reports are done on computer so my kanji skills have been getting rusty

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ezia

Ezia Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Muto Tomu
    I'm doing a mix of self-study and evening classes and have been working on improving my Japanese skills for about 9 months now, though I also did some self-study in my late teens (well, partly self-study, partly conversation exchange with a native speaker friend) until university started getting really busy for me. I did end up incorporating Japanese into my undergraduate dissertation though (I was studying linguistics) so there was quite a lot of study involved there too.

I partly wanted to pick up Japanese again because I'm not a quitter and don't like to do things halfway or abandon things, partly because I'm an adult with some disposable income now and could realistically visit Japan in the near future (feels good man) and partly because my husband is super-proficient in kanji and vocabulary through years of self-study and it awoke some sort of competitive streak in me that he had better command of a language than I did [hehe]

I have a decent command of Japanese grammar (I'm a linguist, I like grammar :p) and good conversational vocabulary but I need to learn more kanji so I can extend my reading ability. My husband knows a lot of kanji but doesn't know much about grammar, so it's nice to kind of top each other up on our skills.

I suppose I'm hoping to get as close to fluency as I can? It has been brilliant 'unlocking' the language and finding I understand more with each new song or AKBingo episode. I get kind of addicted to that feeling when I'm learning languages so I guess the endgame is a decent level of proficiency whereby I can chat to someone without issue, read most things I come across, and watch Japanese TV and films without subtitles (or with subtitles on but only glancing at them occasionally).

Sorry for the life story, I just really love languages :^^;:

9. lunakitten

lunakitten Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

I can understand maybe 3 things in Japanese. I'm very jealous of the people here who can speak Japanese well enough to go to handshakes.