1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Do B-side songs ever enter the charts?

Discussion in 'General Nogizaka46 Discussion' started by Obelovic, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Obelovic

Obelovic Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    OK, now that the 15th single senbatsu is announced (congrats, Asuka!), I'd like to ask a newbie question: Do B-side songs ever enter the charts?

A more general form of this question is actually: what other charts "matter" in Japan? In the US, for example, we have Billboard top 40 etc. And from time to time songs that are not the "main" song in an album or single manage to chart. Are there similar charts in Japan?

I'm wondering because all I ever read in the forums seem to be the single sales numbers (Oricon sales?). Since Nogizaka46 singles, in particular, usually have strong B-side songs (at least IMHO), I'm wondering whether any of these songs ever enter the charts. Similarly, I'm wondering whether individual songs from an album ever enter the charts.

Any information on this is greatly appreciated!

2. kanjo

kanjo Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    B-sides do enter recochoku and iTunes charts. Though, to be honest, they never do particularly well. But they do usually enter for a day or two at least.
    Those charts only really matter to their users, though. They don't have that significant an impact on Billboard, either.

3. Obelovic

Obelovic Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    IC, thanks for the explanation.
    Do the B-side songs get radio/TV airtime? I mean, if a particular song sits really well with the fans and lots of people ask radio DJs to play the songs, it will also be a good thing for the UG, for example.

4. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

I would say no.

That's why getting into senbatsu is so important for the girls. It is the song that's being promoted. The rest is just something extra for those who buy the CD, like photos and the HS tickets.

5. Zerase

Zerase Member

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    Depends on the artist really, Kana Nishino has tons of cerified b-sides/album tracks

6. Obelovic

Obelovic Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Or perhaps it depends also on the management? Or it only works for non-idols?

7. shirai46

shirai46 Kenkyuusei

well it's always interesting. For example a LOT of people seem to like Kikakke from the new album, but since it is labeled as an album song and not an A-Side, it won't get the same popularity.

8. lonely_cookies

lonely_cookies Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takayamakazumi
    It depends if they're promoted or not. B-sides can do well with tie-ins and promotion e.g. 365-nichi no Kamihikouki. That was practically a double-a-side single though.

9. Obelovic

Obelovic Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    That's exactly my point. If songs like Kikakke do not get the same exposure as an A-side, then it's really a waste. The same goes to UG songs in the singles (Shitto no Kenri, anybody?).

Just my personal experience: being a rather late follower of AKB48, I missed some of their B-sides from their earlier singles that (IMHO) are just as good as the A-sides. Some of these made it into their albums, but some seems to simply fade away due to under-exposure. Luckily, I've been following Nogi virtually from the very beginning so that I don't miss any (I think) of their B-sides.

Well, perhaps in this case it's because management knew that Kuchibiru is not really that strong?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016
  10. kanjo

kanjo Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    Kikkake is being performed on Mste this Friday so it is being promoted somewhat, it's also being used in all the CMs.

11. shirai46

shirai46 Kenkyuusei

Of course music taste is personal, but there are quite some songs, which are as good as the main single. In my case I liked Poppipappapa more than Ima Hana.

Yeah I know, but it's still not a song you will see in the top 5 charts. As an A-Side yes. Since I have been following Nogizaka I always saw the main A-Side single in top 5. Atleast top 10 on iTunes. Not the Nanase solo, no UG song. Always the main single. well yeah. I listen to the songs I like. Maybe it's just bad that the song won't get as many performances. You can't make everyone happy

12. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    @Obelovic I'm late, but if you're a recent entrant you wouldn't know that B-sides were actually pretty strong in the past - at their height, B-sides for AKB48 would actually enter the digital rankings, and ESPECIALLY the karaoke ones (you can tell because in the medleys they made, several B-sides are included with the A-sides)