1. Following SNH48's official break from the rest of the 48 Group, the SNH48 section will be retired on April 1, 2017. General threads for it and its sister groups can be created in the Stage48 Idol Emporium as with any other idol group, but it will no longer have it's own subforum to make way for STU48 and BNK48.
  2. A request for donations - please see here

[GENERAL] The AKB48 Thread

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Kyobu, Jun 16, 2007.

1. rka

rka Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Tanigawa Airi
    Twitter:
    rka_01
    I also thought that some subbing projects were pretty short-lived. I can only guess that frequent subbing is pretty time-consuming.
    And we lost all the webspaces which collected hardsubs.

....come to think of it....when i got into this fandom, it basically was a paradise. The international fandom had created a super-impressive and !stable! infrastructure back then.
    Its similar to the current "has akb declined?" debate. We still have forums (well, this one. I don't know about oscar's "only new gen forum", though), and newsposters, and subbers and whatnot, but its absolutely not comparable to what it used to be.
    People have moved on in their lives, the whole thing isn't exactly fresh anymore, and possibly not motivating enough to create new projects, which are embedded within larger parts of the existing fandom. For example, we had this super-interesting "whats new on 2chan"-site, which ended already after a few months. Its just the fate of most one-guy-projects.

2. natsunishi

natsunishi Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Iriyama Anna
    I can only agree in that. As a subber (or, more like a timer), it takes me up to 3hrs to time a 10minutes long video properly. Takes up to 5hrs to time a ~20mins long variety show. It took roughly 6hrs to time an entire Moshimo Tours episode, though I was doing other stuff during that time as well (checkig sites, talking to friends over LINE, tweeting stuff and all). Currently doing an 1hr30m long documentary video. So far I'm having days put in it and I'm barely halfway done with it. Only the timing and styling the onscreen texts. And I'm only helping a subber friend with that, who, anyway, does allllll the stuff all alone. So yup, it's pretty time consuming, especially if you study or have a decent job besides that.

So yup, you have the right to "want" subs, but you don't have the right to demand for subs. And especially you don't have the right to say you deserve subs. You deserve something if you do something for the said thing. And you should respect subbers as well, instead of saying "i want this x stuff to be subbed because i deserve to see it". Nah. Nope.

And "doing something for the said thing" isnt equal to downloading the raw file.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. gocchisama

gocchisama Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Hirate Yurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    What about reading japanese matome with helpful japanese plug in?

Because with a minimum of grammar knowledge, and rikaikun on chrome ( it translates kanji automatically when you reach the kanji you can't read) you can manage to understand mostly what the topic is about.

4. Lindsay

Lindsay Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Goto Moe
    That's a pretty big slip... I hope Moekyun doesn't get in trouble :|

5. natsunishi

natsunishi Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Iriyama Anna
    kinda oot, I tried rikaikun on firefox... It didn't really work most of the time, so I didn't even attempt to dl it again. But I assume that's because it's originally a chrome extention D: Should give it a try over there too o:

6. Matsui Hikari

Matsui Hikari Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    Nah, I think it's alright unless the planned SSK date is mid-late June and they planned to start promotion in late April-ish.

7. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    They are probably going to announce it today at the shamekai event.

8. kanjo

kanjo Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    On subbing I just want to point out for people not familiar with subbing.
    I used to dabble in anime subbing.
    I could translate an episode of an anime in one hour. Depends on the show but just the translation one hour wouldn't be unusual.
    Drama is about 2 hours.
    Most variety shows I've translated took about 2-3 days of 4 hour work.
    Variety shows are very tough if you want to do a thorough translation. Not like anime or drama at all.

I rarely ever time but I assume for timers (people who set the lengths of sentences in a subtitle files; not glamorous but very exhausting work which deserves a lot of praise) it's just as bad if not worse.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wlerin

wlerin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Mutou Tomu
    The stage they promised after the last SSK is finally coming in May, specifically on May 12
    https://7gogo.jp/kayano-shinobu/13128

It's going to be titled "Thumbnail", and it seems like it might feature songs from the Thumbnail album (and maybe other albums)?

10. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Kashiwagi Yuki
    Lots of good news coming in :D

==================================

Former 9th gen Mori Anna becomes Youtuber as well

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  11. Lindsay

Lindsay Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Goto Moe
    Good grief, we're actually getting a stage? I am astonished :eek: That does sound like it'll be album songs.

12. Trinu

Trinu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    Twitter:
    komorebiing
    Which is a new level of management half-assing things lol

Sure, we get a new stage... or recycled songs! :^^;:

13. Silenka

Silenka Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    Also seems like it to me. Groups disappearing right and left. There are some still active but many have left the fandom after their oshimen graduated. Honestly, AKB is not what it used to be for a lot of people and there's nothing we can do about that. Fans do quit. If the project leads and translators are the ones leaving and there are only encoders and timers left (which happens to scanlation groups a lot as well but I've also seen it happen to AKB sub groups), those people are very hard to replace.

Subbing really is a labor of love and is almost like a full-time job for one person. It's much easier if there's at least two people to share the work. Unfortunately there are a lot of subbers who do try their hand at it solo and get burnt out very quick. Half-assed subs comes to mind. There are other pitfalls as well. Consider this: once someone becomes known as a subber, even if they do a one-shot job, the community's appetite is whetted and they start demanding more. "Hey X, where is the next episode? Come on, you did the last one!" Some people don't want to be tied to these expectations. There are people who feel like they're letting others down and feel they have no choice but to keep slaving over work they don't really want to do.

Because I know enough Japanese to understand almost all of what is said at any given time, I never have a problem following this fandom. But then I try to follow JKT or SNH where I don't know the language at all and I suddenly understand what it must be like for fans of the AKB group who don't know much/any Japanese. It makes me want to translate more for everyone. But subbing really is hard work and my love tends to be for the songs so that's what I stick to, even though it's been made clear to me by some people that it'd be much more helpful to sub something with more substance/info about the members. :^^;:

The fact is, you gotta have a lot of passion for it to do subbing as it sucks up all your time and energy. The fandom decreasing really has contributed to the lack of subs, but more than that it's just the monumental effort it requires to put subs out. Ultimately, I think it has much less to do with the stigma of whiny people demanding subs and much more to do with the fact that the people who used to sub have "left the building", so to speak.

Though what others here have said is not wrong: if you do love AKB and you spend a lot of hours on it already, learning Japanese really is worth it. Take classes if you can, do self-study and use all the translated AKB material you can get your hands on to learn vocabulary. And songs are a pretty good way of learning vocabulary since you got short lines with the translation right next to them and you can see the kanji too :chuffed: once you learn vocab and some sentence structure things start falling into place when you watch idol media, which actually has a lot of the same phrases said over and over.

14. Rurouni

Rurouni Kenkyuusei

Technically the songs are original (as in not in a single). Personally I don't really mind. There are 12 new songs on the album (including documentary song and collabs). I also don't mind if they use some of the other album songs instead of using songs from singles. Of course if they do manage to make 1 or more true original song for the stage, I would be really happy :)

15. STS

STS Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yamaguchi Maho
  16. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Kashiwagi Yuki
    ^ yeah...with the way they handled with the Nogi scandal earlier, I think it's becoming more and more clear that they don't give a sheaa anymore as long as people are still buying their sheaaa XD

17. parukii

parukii Kenkyuusei

I'm still desperate for my love night subs TT

Oh I hope you are right! The album songs don't get performed much so it should be exciting!

18. Silenka

Silenka Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
  19. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Kashiwagi Yuki
    Newest tentative KKS member who just passed the STU final audition

20. Kappa

Kappa Kenkyuusei

I think she is right though based on what management has shown us. It always a controversial topic. Management won't ban dating internally but if you get caught, its all on that particular person. If a member is popular, nothing will happen. But many members have been kicked out for scandals before, most recently Miki and Naanya.