[GENERAL] The MNL48 Thread

Discussion in 'General MNL48 Discussion' started by ForrestFuller, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Unggoy

Unggoy Kenkyuusei

Basically everything he says about the video:

1 - Japanese high school uniforms
    2 - Filipina!
    3 - Filter is too white!
    4 - Filmed in the Philippines
    5 - They're like the Philippines version of AKB48!
    6 - FILIPINA!

I feel like this is the general reaction outside of the Philippines. [hehe] Everything else was him trying to sing along or get a couple of the dance moves and talking briefly about his wota life.

That's an interesting position to take. He had a lot of fun, smiled the whole time, danced (sort of) and sang, then said he'd keep watching in the future. That's a bit more than "seemed...good" to me. :)

2. chimew9

chimew9 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimaharuna
    Speaking of popularity. I think I know now why Jan's page has so many likes. I have only visited Jan's page a few times same as other MNL48 members but for some reason her page is now appearing on my timeline and upon checking her page it shows that I have liked and followed her page when I surely didn't. That same thing also happened on my dummy Facebook account which I only use for commenting. So I'm thinking Jan's FB likes could have increased because of that 'phenomenon'.

3. Are-Kun

Are-Kun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatatesaho
    I mean, part of it was nostalgia of his own past with AKB, which maaaaay have clouded things. BUT...at least he didn't say anything too bad about MNL. And seeing this version of Aitakatta seemed to really remind him of the original. That I'll take as a good sign. The most bad he honestly mentioned was the filter (which we already knew, but it tells you something when the JAPANESE guy says the filter is bad lol)

I'm just curious what the general consensus among Japanese fans is about MNL.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. STS

STS Future Girls

Oshimen:
    山本望叶
    I thought why filipino people hate MNL48 are singing in filipino language (tagalog)? which is naturally things. like... filipino people sing in filipino language...
    but today I watched this video and now I understand Why!o_O

if the video does not show watch the video here
    funny. interesting country...:^^;:

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Unggoy

Unggoy Kenkyuusei

I think this video doesn't really give a good impression of the truth. There are some hundred or so different dialects in the Philippines, where some of them are unintelligible to others. There are actually two main languages, as well, and they are each spoken at home by about half of the country. My wife, who is Filipina, and I went to the far north of the main island for a few weeks and came across a number of people who were better equipped with English than 'Filipino'. There are a lot of reasons for this... 'Filipino' is actually a government created version of 'simple Tagalog' that mixes in a very small percentage of words from other dialects; that's the first issue. The second issue is that English became such a heavy focus in the last decade or so, that English rather than 'Filipino' is the only required language in official government documentation. My wife has never handed me documents from school, work, or anywhere that was not in English. Yes, Filipino is the 'official' language of the country, but so is English. So what you have is a student from one part of the country who is not even taught 'Filipino' outside of school and may prefer to watch TV in the second of the largest languages rather than Filipino, or maybe they will watch a lot of English movies and television as well.

Next is the idea of 'taglish', which is effectively a mix of Tagalog with some English words. Let's just start with an English equivalent, shall we? Think of Latin words that are used in English; they are those words that are italicized because they are foreign, rather than italicized because they are the stressed word in a sentence. The most common you might find is et cetera or the shortened version 'etc'. In reality we have a lot of loan words in English that don't get italicized because they have officially become part of English (including such Tagalog words as bundok, which became boondocks, which became 'out in the boonies' ---> the boonies, as well as kilig and one other word I can't recall. In Tagalog, however, these loan words may fill in a gap where a Tagalog or Filipino word doesn't actually exist, like texting, or they may be popular slang like pag-sure uy? (Are you sure?!)

So with the increased focus on English in kinder schools (heh.. kinder schools), the increased access to English language media, the increased notoriety of English among youth, and the fact that English may take precedence over Filipino in the home or school (many schools are 'English only' and provide small punishments for people who speak home languages or even Filipino), it is easy to understand why certain words become more common in English.

You might also find that's a reason why a lot of youth see "OPM" as old fashioned, since it maintains the integrity of Tagalog.

Now, if you are really curious, do some research on why Filipino is the national language. It's a sore spot for a lot of people because it basically came down to "the rich city speaks Tagalog even though most of the country doesn't". Oh, and while you're at it, it may be useful to consider that most dialects you'll run into are a result of the hundreds of years of Spanish, Japanese and American occupations. Kumusta ka? Como estas?

NOTE: I want to go back to the Philippines and major in the old language, which was a breed of Indo/Malay and the writing was heavily influenced by sanskrit. It's really quite interesting!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. chimew9

chimew9 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimaharuna
    Is it just me or Sheki's humor is a bit leading to the offensive side. Like everytime she's about to say something I get worried that she'll finally say something really foul.

Like her jokes with teacher Kazu and the way she's trying to imitate him with his Japanese accent ... When she said in Ilocano that Sela has BO... Etc.

I learned to appreciate her on performances and interviews but she's a bit dangerous on the comedic scene. Sorry for her fans but I think it's safe if she gets eliminated.

On the other hand I have a feeling that Ash will go too.

My only concern is after they get eliminated, how long will we able to see them again in class? Especially the Kami 7 because I bet more wotas are gonna miss them more.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Asuka Loves Walls

Asuka Loves Walls Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ikutaerika
    I just chalked it up as being extra playful, given that she seems close with Sela. Sela took it like a champ anyways. Be like her. :)

In my observation, this Vice Ganda-type of humor (classic comedy bar humor that is playfully offensive, a little bit smart-shaming, a little bit politically-correct) is strong on some of the girls, Sheki included. But afaik, it was stated before that the meanest among them was either Brei or Belle. :D

Anyway, in other news, I wonder what is happening now with the state of our record labels. I am still not hearing any of MNL48's songs on mainstream media. :/

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Musica

Musica Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kuranoonarumi
    image.jpeg
    Saw this on IG, from Mr. Cameraman.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope

MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura

*Laser Eyes activated*

What do you mean by the fact that Brei is the most... Feisty?

Is it because she is one of my Heralds Prophets implanted into this plane to spread my will to the world... And some of my brand of Evil Insane Mania rubbed off on her?

10. teokun

teokun Kenkyuusei

nah I'm sure you didn't like the page. That's a new fb feature right now. Popular Across Facebook. Where you're past visits on fb pages will show up again. Happening right now to me. I'm just sure Jan is masipag or hardworking on inviting people who likes her page. Which is possible and easy if someone like or commented on one of her posts.

11. chimew9

chimew9 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimaharuna
    No it didnt show on the suggested post but on my newsfeed. I actually had to go to her page and click the like/follow button to stop it. It happened on both my real and dummy FB accounts so it's not like I accidentally clicked like/follow it twice. I havent liked any of her posts at all. I only visited her page a few times when I was bored and checked all MNL48 member's FB. If there's one page to show on my suggested post it should be the MNL48 page because I visit it like almost everyday although I havent followed it on my real FB account lol.

Anyway this FB issue does happen sometimes. Google it and you'll see it happened on others too.

12. Ally_

Ally_ Future Girls

Oshimen:
    sugaiyuuka
    So I was wondering... Did they officially debut or nah? :confused:

13. MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope

MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura

WTH is going on with the delay...

At this rate we won't be hearing anything untill October starts!

14. Unggoy

Unggoy Kenkyuusei

What really irritates me along with the debut switcharoo is that there are probably a few thousand people who would create a proper sub file for about 100 pesos and they can't even manage to do that.

I know, because I have a friend who wrote essays for 50. ESSAYS! COLLEGE FREAKING ESSAYS FOR 50 PESOS!

15. robinrider

robinrider Kenkyuusei

• Like Like x 1
  16. dunkindonato

dunkindonato Upcoming Girls

17. teokun

teokun Kenkyuusei

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. UnagiSushi48

UnagiSushi48 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    UnagiSushi48
    I’m happy that we can pre-order the CD, but confused as well. Each CD was already supposed to come with a free handshake ticket. So does this mean CD + two handshake tickets if you pre-order? Or is this just CD + the one handshake ticket that they already mentioned would be included?

19. hypothalamus

hypothalamus Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takayamakazumi
    Twitter:
    hypothalamus_
    Still one.

20. Rashbell

Rashbell Member

Oshimen:
    satoshiori
    found this on the app,