1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

[GENERAL] The MNL48 Thread

Discussion in 'General MNL48 Discussion' started by ForrestFuller, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jurinavenclaw

Jurinavenclaw Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Matsui Jurina
    AKB48 literally means Akihabara 48, its right there on their theater doors. So calling MNL48 as Manila 48 is perfectly fine. Either of the two is fine, and maybe calling it Manila 48 might even make more sense to casuals.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. STS

STS Future Girls

Oshimen:
    山本望叶
    guys do you never heard "AKB48" song? ot other "...48"? it's normal!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CDXVII

CDXVII Kenkyuusei

On a side note, let's feel nostalgic and go back in time:

if the video does not show watch the video here
    6 (Alice, Abby, Tin, Shaina, Shaira, and Sayaka) out of the 10 of the top 10 during the voting process made it to the final group. It makes me wonder about where Aria and Eunice would have fit in if they had stayed.

For Aria, even though I didn't pay much attention to her, I can see her being in the initial senbatsu for Aitakatta.

As for Eunice, I initially wasn't a huge fan of hers (as a possible candidate for the center), but I did love her charisma (and I like her YouTube channel). But just like Shaina and Shaira, whom were constantly in the top during the voting process, I feel like she wouldn't have stayed on the top. However, I still can't help but wonder "what if".

ANYWAY,

I'm waiting for the second single to be released in iTunes US!

• Like Like x 1
  4. MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope

MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    So... Who's birthday we celebrating for December Sentensai?

5. Shinga Kurukato

Shinga Kurukato Future Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    ALiMiRe (عليمير عبد الرحمن)
    Necca, Essel, Faith, Brei, Lara, and Tin

• Like Like x 2
  6. megatram

megatram Kenkyuusei

Just curious, how many songs do you think they have right now?

We all know Hebirote is done as well as the song for team M2 for the 3rd single and found out in Twitter that they've been practicing First Rabbit before their first single based on Zen's post. Zen is part of the original kami 7 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my X300 using Tapatalk

7. roze_street

roze_street Kenkyuusei

there's a rival group that's been launched today by a big agency here in PH.

wotas/mnloves in twitter are panicking and telling management to step up.

this rival group has 45 members including ex-MNL48 member Mae.

They (will) have a theater in greenhills.

They are not 48g or sakamichi (ofc) but it's obvious they're inspired from 48g.

They will have a song that'll release in Jan 2019.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. itachi101

itachi101 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    otanao
    so...
    for now
    i'm lookin forward
    to see the members of this group:cool:

9. Are-Kun

Are-Kun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatatesaho
    I'm afraid to ask...but...group name(?)

10. roze_street

roze_street Kenkyuusei

ppop generation

here's their demo

if the video does not show watch the video here

11. Are-Kun

Are-Kun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatatesaho
    Hmm. Interesting.
    I see this in two ways. Very much a double-edged sword.

The good: having a known rival could give our MNL girls extra motivation to be better. Healthy competition is never bad thing. Not that there wasn't competition before, but this just might be the first to actually mean something (against MNL)

The bad: it IS a competition....meaning we could lose. As long as management is aware and responds accordingly, we should be fine...I hope...

As for the group itself, I'm struggling to understand its full concept. They dress like a JPop group, carry themselves like a KPop group, and sing early 2000s PPop. Sooo...ok(?) Bit of an identity crisis there. That being said, I can definitely see this appealing to people.

For an immediate response, if it were my choice, I'd say MNL needs return to stronger Filipino pronunciations, and maybe move to more upbeat singles sooner rather than later. Meaning...we could get Hebirote earlier than we thought. But I still wouldn't rush that one. Maybe a similar upbeat song for next single (High Tension? Uza? River?)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. UnagiSushi48

UnagiSushi48 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    UnagiSushi48
    Yup, I was one of the participants in the charades game :) Were you part of the charades game as well? :D And were you in the VIP section, or the “normal” section? I was, sadly, not a VIP that day XD

13. MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope

MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura

so uhm... First we started WW3 with the whole Japan Trip fuzz...

Now we has a Civil War!

Quick! Grab the Bayonets and War Propaganda!

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Are-Kun

Are-Kun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatatesaho
    Halt, comrade. Not just yet. Let us learn what the opposition is capable of first.
    Strike when the moment is right, not before.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. UnagiSushi48

UnagiSushi48 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    UnagiSushi48
    I shared my opinion on PPopGeneration over sixteen Tweets... :D

"I'd like to share my thoughts on MNL48 and PPopGeneration :) I see some people getting worried that they might outshine or overtake MNL48, and I am so doubtful that could ever happen.

"FIRST, we know that AKB48 is an unparalleled phenomenon, and MNL48 is an official sister group of AKB48. While we can clearly see that PPopGeneration is emulating a lot of AKB48/MNL48 elements (forty plus girls, the cutesy look, the pop music, the theater, the regular shows), there are still a LOT of things that MNL48 has that PPopGeneration does not. We are an official sister group, and that means we (haha, apparently I'm a member now) get all of AKB48's support; all their resources: AKB48's iconic songs; their cute costumes; their publicity prowess; their ties to the other local and international sister groups; the fanbases of those sister groups... the list goes on and on.

"MNL48 has advantages that no other girl group in the Philippines has, or will ever have. (At least, until more AKB48 sister groups set up shop here.) Support doesn't just come from AKS management, but also from the international fanbase... just as BNK48 supported us, we'll support SGO48. And just like we look at BNK48's trajectory of success as a possible guide for our future, SGO48 will look at us.

"SECOND, I think that aside from the forty plus girls, it's the theater that's really showing how similar MNL48 and PPopGeneration are, and possibly making people nervous because their theater will be opening before ours. But MNL48's journey was very different, with televised auditions; and online shows; and members being very active on social media.

"When MNL48's theater opens, it will open to fans who have made personal connections with individual members; fans who have watched them live; fans who have celebrated their birthdays with them; fans who have literally shaken their hands.

"In contrast, PPopGeneration debuted this month (December 2018), and will open their theater next month (January 2019). They're not exactly active on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube... and I don't know how active the individual members of PPopGeneration are on those websites (or if they have official accounts on those sites).

"THIRD, for their sake, I hope they get rid of the "Boom Ganda" phrase. Is it part of their group name; or is it some sort of tagline for their debut; or is it the title of their first song; or what? Because "PPopGeneration" sounds good. Adding "Boom Ganda" makes it... uh... not so good.

"FOURTH, aside from the obvious MNL48 elements, PPopGeneration actually kind of reminds me of Aidoru Sozai. Both groups have former MNL48 aspirants, and both groups are trying to make their own name independent of their MNL48 "beginnings."

"FIFTH, personally, I don't plan on automatically hating PPopGeneration, or being paranoid about how their group will affect MNL48's popularity. I'm just going to look at them the way I see Aidoru Sozai... a group of girls who are reaching for their dreams in a country, that is becoming more open to this sort of music. With both of them, while I doubt I'd buy a ton of their merchandise (I spend a lot of money of MNL48 already, haha!), I do plan on going to some of their events to see what they're all about.

"Although, I have to say, in being so blatant about emulating so many MNL48 elements, PPopGeneration has not impressed me... while Aidoru Sozai, with the way they're building a loyal fanbase AND the way they're creating a unique group image, has impressed me in their ability to develop and grow the way they have.

"SIXTH, I just want to say... don't worry, guys! MNL48 has already accomplished so much, and there's a wonderful future ahead of us! Let's continue supporting MNL48 by buying official merchandise, attending official events, and making sure to have all tickets sold out for the MNL48 Theater's opening night! And it doesn't have to be one or the other... people can be fans of MNL48 AND PPopGeneration (AND Aidoru Sozai) at the same time... no need to choose just one! Let's enjoy all of their music! :D"

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Asuka Loves Walls

Asuka Loves Walls Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ikutaerika
    Just trying to be a devil's advocate: they can possibly beat MNL48 at their own game. While all you said is okay, you're probably thinking only of yourself and the already-fans. What about the normies? The haters? Viva is the veteran in the PH entertainment industry and they know how it works.

The fear is stemming from fhe fact that they are using MNL's own formula and could turn all the current shortcomings of the group into a better suit for Filipino's tastes, if HalloHallo will not move NOW. MNL48 is still a baby in the PH, you know. (end of devil advocating)

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Unggoy

Unggoy Kenkyuusei

EDIT: Viva Records has been teasing the concept of Ppop Generation for two years. Their FB page has been active for quite awhile as well. Now, for my original post.

Sadly a lot of what you say are MNL48's strengths are actually incorrect. AKS only support MNL48 via the Cool Japan fund. Whereas AKB48 Team SH already has promotion and drama (TV) activity and CMs, as well as sending a few members to Japan, MNL48 has local management unsupported otherwise.

And if this poorly named group can fill in the blanks (theater), improve on MNL48 (MV quality) or fix what seems to be the heavy reliance on Japanese culture over Filipino culture then they might do much better.

In reality wotas are a minority. Filipinos as a larger group are going to prefer what? A mismanaged group of Jwannabes (as seen from the public perspective) or a (potentially) well-managed group of girls who seem to pride themselves on being Filipino?

Obviously we love MNL48 but let's be realistic, the general population either has a bad taste in their mouth thanks to the audition drama or they have a bad taste in their mouth for the reliance on Japanese culture and accent.

All that aside, Japan had several idol groups and AKB48 was not the first. Several still exist from AKB48's heyday, too. Both of these groups can do well but I don't think MNL48 is going to break out of the wota crowd while it's stuck in the shadow of another country.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Helliezza

Helliezza Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    I can say that Viva Records actually have a better sense and can compete well with MNL48. They've been producing local idol groups but fail to reach out to masses(out of topic: even nadine lustre is under viva records before her big break ,she is under the grp: POP GIRLS), they can use MNL48 gaps and lapses despite fans already complaining and pleaded for a better quality( ex. MV cheap quality, venues,events,fan service,management issues,etc). They can apply those disadvantages to their advantage if MNL48 mgmt still keeps being stubborn and wont listen to what fans wanted. The scar that left during audition era is still fresh and wont go away that easily.

The girls deserve more from this, it shouldnt be this way, they are working really hard but the mgmt is always the issue. I hope they would listen to what majority of the fans like or what suits the Filipinos nowadays, if adapting or changing a little would be necessary i say it is a must if they really want to reach out to masses. Afterall they already did break the akb audition tradition, a few more changes wouldnt hurt as long as it would not violate the contract they have with aks.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. roze_street

roze_street Kenkyuusei

For me my worry is that any potential new fans of MNL48 might rethink it and join the other fandom instead.

It is all up to the management now.

I think the edge of MNL48 is they could produce Japan-level music videos if they are WILLING to. There are still a lot of kpop fans in this country and I remember when I was active 2NE1 fan, a lot of us hate the ph groups that are trying hard to be kpop, including Nadine Lustre's former group. Idol fans will still prefer something that is not Filipino. The masses on the other hand might prefer the other group. But the masses are very fickle. They could like something and switch to a new one later on. Every thing is just a fad nowadays.

For me the management should improve now and start releasing Japan-level quality stuff so they could potentially attract those kpop fans or idol fans that are intrigued on high quality presentation. Those are the kind of fans that they need to get. Those are the kind of people that are willing to thrown in their wallets to spend on their idols.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. CDXVII

CDXVII Kenkyuusei

I don't want to disregard the other group, but as far as a I know, when there's something good happening, there's bound to be "similar things", in this case, groups, being released out there.

Right now, Thailand has another idol group that just came out and even JKT48 had their own "rival group" in Indonesia.

Also, just putting it out there, P-POP groups have been popping out all the time, and only MNL48, a collaborative group between Japan and the Philippines, has gained international recognition. So I'm not worried at all about MNL48's status as a top idol group.

• Agree Agree x 1