1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

[GENERAL] The STU48 Thread

Discussion in 'General STU48 Discussion' started by ForrestFuller, Mar 27, 2017.

1. May48

May48 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Ishida Chiho
    Twitter:
    May2906
    DXAvvLpWkAI51x7.jpg
    STU48 to be decided to become C to Sea project's ambassadors!
    It's a project to reach to people to let them know about the fun of the sea and ships.

The first Event for STU48 regarding this project will be
    Japan's international boat Show 2018

Date: March 9th
    Participating members: Fukuda Akari, Fujiwara Azusa, Yano Honoka

International Boat Show Website
    Ambassador & Logo decision
    Official Announcement

2. lionel90

lionel90 Under Girls

Twitter:
    Lionel_90
    Wow! they found a boat ! [hehe]

3. LarcKen

LarcKen Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Taguchi Manaka
    The project are backed by Japanese government itself as in Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport :cool:
    Go STU! :worthy:

4. Arinko

Arinko Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    nakamuraayuka
    STU48 is really taking off. I just hope they won't just put the main senbatsu girls as the face but involve all members.

5. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    Anticipated this coming last year :D

Still waiting for the real boat tho lol

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

6. lionel90

lionel90 Under Girls

Twitter:
    Lionel_90
    The boat show sounds it's a very good place to anounce the real thing.

7. xinchun

xinchun Kenkyuusei

Looks like the senbatsu for the new AKB b-side is the same as it's been for the last 3 songs.

edit: last 2 songs, 3 including this one. also not including b-sides... ok I think you get it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  8. Miyunyan

Miyunyan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    hasegawarena
    I guess it'll be our locked senbatsu for now. Until something will change, like a drastical change in increasing or decreasing popularity. Though it looks like they're trying to push Kokoa a bit now, so who knows where this will end up.

9. SaitoWinterStar

SaitoWinterStar Upcoming Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    So I attended the 2/25 handshake at Tokyo Big Sight and thought I'd share my experience. Hopefully it may help fellow idol newbies. For reference, this is my first idol event so everything was new to me! I've been following Keya and Nogi, but I don't have much experience with the 48G.

I know this information probably exists in various places (like here, that I probably should have found before attending o_O), but without the help of Riina here on the forums, who went with, I would have been completely lost.

Since I'm staying with a host family in Japan, I was able to order tickets from stu48.chara-ani.com to their house. Be aware that for chara-ani, the later rounds can be paid by cash-on-delivery only. I don't think this is true for forTune music or the Sony Music Shop, which let me pay by credit card for other idol events. I think I applied first in the 5th round of applications; I applied for and won four tickets the 25th (three member handshakes and one 2-shot photo, which you apply for separately but will get bundled together in the end). I then applied again in the next round and again won everything I applied for - two tickets each for six members, three for Fu, and two 2-shot tickets for Fu.

You select the member and the time slot during the lottery process - I was trying to keep the afternoon open so I only applied for 1st and 2nd slot tickets (9:30-11, 11-12:30). However my Fu 2-shots (you don't choose a time for these) ended up being 7th slot (7-8:30 (there's a 1/2-hour break before this slot, not sure why)). The tickets were delivered, along with the corresponding stack of theater-edition CDs and packet of random member photos, a few days before the event.

[​IMG]

I'm only in Japan for a month and I don't have a registered address on a photo ID, so I came a half-hour early with my tickets and passport. I flashed my tickets to the staff outside the door, then went through the security check. They search your bag, have you take a sip of any drink you're carrying, sanitize your hands, then go through a quick metal-detector frisking.

Then it was off to the information table where I handed over my passport and tickets. Since I don't have a photo ID with the same address that's printed on the tickets, they need to be reviewed and stamped here. This only took about ten minutes while I waited, and there are plenty of Japanese who were doing the same thing. Passport and tickets returned, I could now line up for my first handshake!

The members were arranged in 19 parallel lanes. The hall was smaller than I was expecting, and annoyingly there were no food, drinks, chairs, or bathrooms available inside the security cordon. The crowd was mostly men, some teenagers, some middle-aged men in suits, and more than a few old guys. Mobs of a few dozen were formed at the head of each the first few lanes, but the rest of the hall was much more sparse.

[​IMG]

So being my first time, I was super nervous, and between rehearsing my lines, trying to watch what people ahead of me were doing, watching the clock, and eyeing the staff, I pretty much can't remember anything that happened in the first 4 handshakes. :confused:

I was very concerned that I had over-booked my slots (4 members each in the 1st and 2nd slots) and would run out of time, so I had priority and backup strategies planned. It ended up being completely unnecessary as, except for the first few lanes (Takino, Iwata, and Ishida), there was almost no queue.

First was my 2-shot with Torobu Yuri, but it works mostly the same as a handshake: you enter the lane once they post the slot time is open (raising a flag with the name and times), and go to a staff table where you present your ID and the tickets you want to use. They check the tickets against your ID, so this is where if you don't have the stamp you'll get rejected.

I should point out I could have pretty much gotten to this point not speaking or reading any Japanese, as even the members names were written in both kanji and romanji. However I tried to use my limited Japanese on everyone, and spoke to the members in Japanese except where noted.

At this table, regardless of how many tickets you hand over, they'll ask you to verify how many you want to use at that time, then mark those. I saw many people ahead of me with just one ticket, though a few had a stack. Some people clearly also would just spend a ticket or two at a time, mingle with friends, then recycle back through the queue. With your marked tickets you then pass on to just in front of the member's booth. They are open, with barriers on each side, so except for a tall information flag blocking the direct front you can see multiple members in other lanes as you approach. You place your bag (and jacket if you wish) into a bin, then hand your tickets (and phone, on and in camera mode for 2-shots) over to a staff member with a stopwatch. Then you present your empty hands for inspection, and need to keep them out.

Since it was the fist slot, the line was held up there until the members came out promptly at 9:30. They came from the far side of the hall past lane 1, so you got to see many of them as they came out in groups of 2-3 chatting with each other and waving, wearing casual clothes. Based on the lighting rigs I could see and flashes from the other side of this barrier at various times during the day it seems there was also a photo shoot going on for the members simultaneously.

They allot your handshake time based on the number of tickets, and as soon as the person in front of you moves off, you should walk up to the member. There were various rules posted online on how you can or cannot grasp their hands, but I saw people doing all sorts of things, so I think it really depends on the temperament of the staff (there were 3-4 staff right in front of each member doing timing, handling phones, and guiding participants, in addition to uniformed security scattered about). I went with the same (officially-recommended) two-handed grasp for all the members, with you grasping their right hand with both hands and they can hold over your right hand with their left as well. I only got briefly scolded for leaning my shoulder too far over the barrier during the 2-shots.

For the 2-shot you go up and immediately request a pose (you can do a different pose for each 2-shot ticket you're spending). Not being prepared of course, I just asked for a "heart", but Yuri was very friendly. You can sort of touch for the pose, but unlike a handshake you can't actually shake their hand in the 2-shot. After the photo, the member writes your name onto a large pre-printed square card that's customized with their signature.

[​IMG] (all photos censored here, but the originals came out nicely! My 2-shot ticket is in the foreground.)

[​IMG] (Most of this is pre-printed, but Yuri adds your name, and put the "Thank you" up there very slowly at the end, I think testing the staffs' patience.)

During this time presumably I explained I'm from the US and this was my first handshake event, then was guided off by the staff first to check that the photo came out on my phone, then collect my stuff from the bin. I should have realized this whole process took only a couple minutes and so I should have stopped and jotted down my impressions. :fp: But instead I quickly moved to my next planned appointment, two handshake tickets with Sano Haruka (who was sharing a lane with Kadowaki Miyuna), then two with Mori Kaho (sharing a lane with Ishida Minami), and two with Kadota Momona (sharing with Hyodo Aoi).

The less popular members shared lanes, though when you finally approach the staff makes sure you only go up to your selected member. But the other one just has to stand there (even if the next person has tickets for them), so occasionally they'll chime in. You at least get to smile and say hello to them, too. Again, I went through my prepared phrases that I'm happy to meet them, I'm from the US, they're cute, that this is my first handshake event, and that they are fun on Setobingo and/or Showroom if I've seen them there.

Everyone was very friendly and attentive, but nothing stands out here, mostly because I was too nervous. Each ticket probably gets you 6-7 seconds before they start trying to get you out, but for this event the members were also giving out business cards, customized to the member and the slot, so you get a bit more time as they count out the cards (you get as many as you spent tickets). I finished with everyone within a half-hour, which was shocking. I decided to try to take a more measured approach in the 2nd slot.

I wanted to see Takino Yumiko first since she would likely have the longest queue (and since I finished the first slot so early, I was able to get in line even before they officially opened the second slot) and didn't have to wait more than 15 minutes once the line started moving. I said it was nice to meet her and that I loved their songs. Then I congratulated her on becoming center. When I said I was from the US she got excited and paused while fishing for her business cards. Eventually she said with a smile, in English, that her English isn't very good. I told her in English that actually it was great, and said my goodbyes.

Then it was on to Yabushita Fu, who I was looking forward to the most. I had four tickets for her, but even with Yumirin's long line I got to Fuu before the first half-hour had past, so I was only allowed to use three tickets at once. She stood out in a light pink sweater and hat, though not as much as Fukuda Akari in the adjacent lane, who was dressed as what was possibly an anime cactus for a little while. :blink:

Fuu was very energetic and leaned close over the railing. I said hello and that I was from the US, and that I've been really enjoying her appearances on Setobingo and her Showrooms. I also told her that she's my oshi, which seemed to make her smile wider. She took a while getting her cards out, and then blurted out "Happy! Happy!" in English. She waved and jumped up and down as I went to collect my stuff. :)

[​IMG]

I then had a couple of handshake tickets for Torobu, where I told her I was back, and of course she remembered me as I'm pretty sure there were no other tall white guys at the event (Riina and I were the only obvious Westerners I saw in my 11 hours at Big Sight that day). I had time to say I enjoyed her on Setobingo and her Showrooms, and encouraged her to do her best.

Still moving fast through my time (again I should have taken more time to review some lines), next was Imamura Mitsuki. Like the others, she was really into the handshake, and both her and her lane-mate Yano Honoka were excited when I said I was from the US. While she was getting her tickets, Yano leaned over to Imamura and whispered something in her ear and they exchanged a look. Then Imamura turned to me and said, "Thank you for coming!" in almost un-accented English. I was so surprised that I praised her skill first in Japanese, then switched to English. In retrospect I probably should have been saying a few parting things in English as it seemed to make the members happy to hear some phrases they could probably understand.

With all of my second-round appointments met, I went back to Fu's lane to use my fourth ticket. Since I had plenty of time left in the slot, I thought for a while about what to say. Unfortunately, somehow I was more nervous the second time and after saying I was back, completely blanked. Ironically the first thing I had prepared was to apologize for being so nervous before. :fp: After an awkward pause where I could see the staff already moving to push me off, I managed to jumble something together in probably incoherent Japanese about her good reactions on Setobingo. She then took a really long time to pull one card off of her stack while the staff took my shoulder and prepared to guide me away. This seems like a nice way for the members to stall for time. While slowly giving it to me she asked if I could come back again to see her, and I said I would be back for the evening session. Even with the awkwardness it was still a nice experience, and at least I was able to salvage a little conversation at the end.

After that I had my two 7th-round Fu 2-shot tickets left, so I had to hang around for quite a while. I also had two leftover handshake tickets (3rd tickets from Kadota and Imamura) that I had been planning to spend on Ishida Minami. I breifly considered converting them to Fu right then, but realized I was already burnt out of Japanese phrases I was comfortable using. And clearly too nervous. Instead I changed plan again and decided I would see some of the young members who were available in the last slot. You can "oshi mashi" your tickets like this only in a slot that is not sold out. This list is posted online just before and in the hall during the event - here's a copy (member slots available for oshi mashi are marked with a black star):
    [​IMG]

After wandering around Big Sight, I came back about 30 minutes before the 7th round started and went through security again. Surprisingly, although the overall crowd was smaller, Fu's lane was packed, while Yumirin, Hina, and Ishida had smaller crowds. The other members' lanes had no waiting. Also it appeared they had already opened her lane for the final round well before 7pm, so I got in line and waited for her to come back. They had allowed her lane barriers to bulge out to the sides so much that the post-handshake return isle was less than a body width wide, but this allowed the lines before and after her ID check table to wind back and forth.

It took about 45 minutes to get back up to her, by which point I was feeling more confident. She had put on a jacket, but otherwise seemed as enthusiastic as before. I asked for a "heart" and "thumbs-up" pose for my two 2-shots, and encouraged her to do her best. She took a long time filling out my photo certificates with my name in Katakana, so I desperately searched for more things to talk about. Finally I explained that I was only in Japan for a month and had to return to the US soon, but that her handshake had been the most fun that day, to which she thanked me profusely. I remembered to thank her and say bye in both languages, and got a happy smile and wave goodbye after I picked up my stuff, even with the next person having taken my spot.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Checking the time, I only had about 9 minutes left before 8pm. You can only convert your tickets from another member during the middle thirty minutes of a slot, so I had to make a quick decision. I considered spending both remaining tickets at once, but decided to chance it and split them since all the lanes appeared almost empty. The first ticket I converted to Kai Kokoa, which involved presenting the ticket with my ID at her check table and saying I wanted to oshi mashi for her (she was sharing a lane with Shintani Nonoka). The staff member just pastes a sticker with the new member's name onto your ticket and you are good to go.

Kai-chan was actually much more styled that I was expecting from her somewhat carefree appearances on TV. With only one ticket I just had enough time to say hello and tell her I was from the US before getting told I was out of time. She seemed pleased but slightly perplexed, and held my hands while thinking for a moment. I expected the staff to guide me away, but somehow no one seemed to be in a particular hurry. She then asked in a quiet voice (in English), "Do you speak English?". When I answered, "yes", both her and Shintani let out an excited squeal. With new confidence she asked, again in English, if I spoke any Japanese. When I answered "ちょっと", she smiled and replied "ベラベラ" several times excitedly. Continuing in English, she asked if I was from Japan, and I said "No, I'm from America." Somehow this caused her and Shintani, who had come closer to listen, to let out and incredibly loud squeal of excitement that could probably be heard outside the hall and made everyone in the booth jump. I half expected security to come see what the fuss was about. They both started saying over each other (in Japanese now) that I was cool, at which point the staff finally pushed me away. As I was getting my stuff I gave them a parting がんばってください. They looked at each other and both started shouting in English, "Come again! Bye! Thank you!" over and over. It was hard not to be a little embarrassed trying to leave their lane, turning again to wave at their chaotic yells while the crowd mingling out at the end of the lane looked on. :awesome:

I figured I was out of time after that very long one-ticket handshake, but moved to the last lane anyway. The lanes seemed to have been ordered by popularity, which made it seem a bit cruelly obvious. Fortunately I was able to convert my final ticket to Morishita Maiha without a problem. She was sharing with Mishima Haruka and I said a quick hello to both, who seemed full of energy despite the late hour. I said I enjoyed their music and her appearances, and that I had watched their documentary. I thanked them in Japanese and then English, which seemed to pump them up even more, and elicited a bunch of "Thank you!" and "Goodbye!" in English from both of them. As I was leaving they gave me a thumbs up and then a "thumbs up!" in English. When I reciprocated and complimented their English they both seemed quite pleased.

I was a bit disappointed as I exited Morishita's lane when I realized that I had forgotten to get a business card from her and stopped to see if maybe they were waving one at me. But later as I packed up my stuff I found her card in my bag, so somehow that had worked out. I may have been a bit overwhelmed during the experience. :^^;:

As I left there was still about 25 minutes left in the event, and most of the lanes were empty. However there were still at least 50-100 people milling about outside the lanes. Presumably they had 7th round tickets and wanted to be a member's last handshake of the day. Fortunately there seemed to be at least a few people waiting at the head of each of the members' lanes that were there for that slot.

[​IMG]

So, that's the end of my report. A really fun experience, but very nerve-wracking since it was my first time. Fuu was great, and I'm really happy I got to meet her. Yumirin was also really nice despite being so busy; it didn't feel like being center had gone to her head. Kai and Morishita were also a nice contrast to the older members - over-the-top energetic and willing to risk more English. Though perhaps they understood less of my Japanese, too.

In the future I would prepare a few more lines, though I think trying to remember more lines is a problem. Also I probably was quite fortunate that the event wasn't crowded - I have a Keyaki IHS next month that I expect to the bonkers in comparison. Anyway, I'd be happy to answer questions if others want to similarly try out a handshake event! My advice is even if you're not confident in your Japanese or how to get through the event, give it a try if you have the opportunity, and maybe risk a member other than your favorites, you might be surprised.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. marioworldakb

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
  11. marioworldakb

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
  12. xinchun

xinchun Kenkyuusei

Yay glad to see them! I hope they can join regular activities soon.

13. marioworldakb

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    The STU B side song in 51st single will also be revealed in the Setouchi no Mune radio show very soon. Look out for the rip ver on youtube!

=====================

Annnnnnnnnd oh mah gwad

They gunna broadcast the STU Solo Concert!! Yessssssssssssh TBS is the best :D

March 31st
    https://twitter.com/tbschannel/status/969784449255657472?s=19

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  14. extomomi

extomomi Kenkyuusei

if the video does not show watch the video here
    I uploaded a rip for [Pedal to Sharin to Kita Michi to] but the sound quality is not great.
    Hopefully someone will upload a better version soon

• Like Like x 1
  15. marioworldakb

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    OH MY GWAD it's a Jrock style

We got the jackpot!! Woooooot

16. extomomi

extomomi Kenkyuusei

Ikr! Honestly, this could easily be the A-side. Can't wait for the MV, I hope STU will upload the full version soon (like by tomorrow lol)

17. marioworldakb

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    The single is getting more and more awesome!

MV plsssssssss

This probably be the most shonen jump feel bicycle themed song in 4846 history

18. xinchun

xinchun Kenkyuusei

It sounds great =) Glad the STU songs have been consistently good (at least imo)

19. marioworldakb

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    So many good and happy news for STU today, I'm a real happy man too. :D

20. May48

May48 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Ishida Chiho