1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

GIMP Step by step

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by ahounokotoba, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ahounokotoba

ahounokotoba Kenkyuusei

Yay my first thread :D

For you who don`t want to drop a sweat use this
    GIMPshop
    It`s similar to PS

Trust me "GIMP is a lot more better than photoshop"

Okay first I`ll explain how this tutorial will work.
    I`ll explain how GIMP works, what the diference with Photoshop n triks.
    I warn you I don`t have any affiliation with any graphic forum so my tutorial might different with other since I made this tutorial without using other tutorial. In other way It`s based on my experiences :D
    N bfore we start please don`t post this threads to other place since I make it specially for stage48.

Btw here`s the link to download the GIMP don`t worry it`s freeware :
    This one only valid for one month start from tonight since I don`t have the money to get a filehosting. :
    http://5.download-3.files-upload.com/10 ... 2.2.11.rar

Here`s the official site download:
    http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

First I`ll explain how to make selection. As you know in photoshop there are circle, square n lasso. Lasso itself has 3 different tool polygonal, normal n magnetic. GIMP has circle, square n lasso but it doesn`t have a polygonal or magnetic. The solution for this one is a tool called path. You can make a path to make a selection. The best part is you can move the node of the path (which can`t be done with polygonal lasso). It does have a great impact since you can modify your lasso without having to make another selection. Okay back to the topic. After you`ve done with making path along the corresponding graphic (connect the last node with the first node), click convert to selection. Done :D

Second about pasting a graphic. When you paste a graphic it was different with PS. The graphic doesn`t have a layer but stand on it`s own. For example if you graphic over another graphic that smaller than the canvas, the pasted graphic will act like a clipping in PS. Okay back to the topic. To make it has a layer, simply clik new layer button to attach it to a new layer or click "anchor" button to attach it to a layer below pasted graphic.

Okay that`s for today I`ll continue tomorrow. Maybe about 3 days I`ll master it like PS. Any question is allowed.

Here`s the wallie example made with GIMP :
    [​IMG]
    Remember I only study GIMP for 3 hour so it`s a bit suck :D

Last word "Use GIMP it`s a freeware n stop piracy"

Happy yay!!! :D

2. Tatami Mats

Tatami Mats Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    Going just by the thread title, I expected this thread to contain a very dirty paraplegic joke.

Cool little tutorial, though!

3. Gloworm

Gloworm Kenkyuusei

Yay, someone else who uses GIMP! I don't feel so alone now. :lol: I've been playing around with GIMP for a couple months now. I'll be sure to check back to this thread. I'm sure you'll point out something I've missed.

4. Eques

Eques Kenkyuusei

I have a question. How did you master Photoshop without apparently ever learning about one of its basic tools, the Pen Tool?

5. Datalanche

Datalanche Kenkyuusei

Cool! I'm always happy to see others using free and open source software. How about a little Ubuntu with your GIMP? ;)

I'll check this tutorial out later. I'd love to make my own slightly more fancy signatures and such.

6. gideon123

gideon123 Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Thanks for posting this!

A program I can finally use to make some sort of creative monstrosity to post on my signature space - or maybe even make a wallpaper.

7. ahounokotoba

ahounokotoba Kenkyuusei

I`ve learned Photoshop using tutorial including pen tool. Really2 sorry but I don`t get what do you mean :confused: I mean yeah I do know how to use pen tool but I`m talking about GIMP not PS so I don`t give any detail about PS. If you`re talking about how it`s similar with create path I agree but yes it differ in some areas for example though you can save your path in PS it`s easier to acces it in GIMP. And surely I prefer using create path in GIMP than pen tool in PS. About can`t modify a node I`m really sorry i mean you can`t do that with polygonal lasso. Really2 sorry for the mistakes I`ll edit it now.

I`ll do that within a month but now gotta maek a backup of all my files first :D since I`m no longer attached to PS looks like it`s easier :D

I`ve been warned for doing that in this forum :D so it`s better doing something a bit "different" :D

Wow you do use GIMP :shocked: help me then okay :D cause I`m still learning too :D

I know my post bfore is hard to understand so I changed the way of giving my tutorial.
    Now I`m gonna split each tutorial into two section. First is basic tutorial n second is advanced tutorial.

Okay let`s start the second lesson.
    1st:
    Okay yesterday we already talk about making selection. Now we`ll continue about selection tool available in GIMP
    First is three kind of lasso, then select contigous region, magic scissor and path. for lasso it`s similar to Photoshop lasso but no polygonal lasso n magnetic lasso.
    For select contigous region, it`s the same as magic wand in photoshop but with contigous box checked. That means it will select all color with the similar index in range but in a contigous area.
    Select region by color is the same as magic wand but with contigous box unchecked. It means it will select all color with similar index in range regardless it`s position.
    For magic scissor, it`s the same as magnetic lasso in photoshop with slightly different function.
    Then path as I already mention is tottaly different from lasso but has the same usage as polygonal lasso in photoshop.
    Making selection using path :
    1. Click create n edit path button on the toolbox
    2. When you used to use polygonal lasso toolin photoshop, it`s the same. the difference is that you can alter a node position unlike polygonal lasso which can`t be altered.
    3. When you nearly finish to make the selection, make a node and move it to the start point then click on second node (a node after the starting point) to connect the path.
    4. click the create selection from path button
    5. It`s done
    6. when you need the path next time just click third tab on the right toolbar

For option, all of these tool has exactly the same option as in Photoshop but it has one more extra option which is "auto shrink selection" which I don`t get a clue yet

That`s all for the first tutorial

2nd:
    Okay I`m sure some of you has already using GIMP so let`s start a bit advanced tutorial.

To make a color correction in GIMP is easier than in PS.
    1. right click n select layer
    2. select color
    3. select level. As you see GIMP has the similar level option but it`s slightly different in practice.
    4. now make a backup of your image in case something wrong
    5. click on the upper left picker (black picker) and click on the most black color on the pic, the image usually went a bit darker
    6. click on the upper right picker (white picker) and click on the most white color on the pic, the image usually went a bit lighter
    7. then use the lower black n white picker as we use the upper picker
    8. now about the lower mid picker (grey picker), by far this is the hardest part since define a grey color is harder than define a white color or black but this is the most important.
    okay the easiest way is click on a shadowed white surface. if no surface like that then click on hair border for black hair. Sorry I can`t give any more details, just use your feeling for this one
    9. it`s done. if you`re not satisfied, use right click>layer>color>curves to adjust the RGB curve but leave the other curve and if you still don`t satisfied, remember you still has your master image.
    10. If you`re too lazy just pick the grey color and click auto on the level dialog box
    11. if you`re not relly sure about the result, duplicate the original image n place it below modified image, n adjust the opacity

Q&A :
    Why do I need a color correction?
    90% of digital pic you get from have false color indexing caused by a lot of things

why did I messed the color
    You must have picked the wrong color. That`s why backuping is important

It`s just too lenghty is there any other way
    There`s a lot of method
    but I think this one the easiest
    . But one more method is easier "pay a graphic customizer"

I have a picture with not a single black/white color
    Then don`t pick them. I told bfore that the most important thing is pick a grey color and you can click auto to finish it

I still don`t get it
    Well just tell me where you are lost and I`ll explain it

That`s the 2nd lesson see ya later

8. Revelation

Revelation Kenkyuusei

neat i'll try it out, also when i saw the title i was thinking about that one dude in leather in pulp fiction

9. ahounokotoba

ahounokotoba Kenkyuusei

10. Eques

Eques Kenkyuusei

Photoshop's Pen Tool functions exactly like the Polygonal Lasso, but instead of a plain selection it creates a path you can manipulate in just about every way. If you're trying to create a path with the Polygonal Lasso, you're using the wrong tool. It's like not liking Photoshop because it won't let you zoom in with the Paintbrush.

I'm going to stop (subtly) trolling this thread now, but not before I not-so-subtly mention that there is nothing GIMP can do that Photoshop can't. In the end, Photoshop has more features, while GIMP lacks support for some crucial features, which guarantees that it will never become the industrial standard. However, for the average home user who has mastered Photoshop, I will admit that GIMP will probably do just as fine.

I don't want to be all negative about this thread, so here's something that's worth looking into: GIMPshop. It makes it so that GIMP's interface is more like Photoshop's. It also renames GIMP's tools to the Photoshop equivalents, for example, let's see... how the Paths Tool is renamed to the Pen Tool.

11. ahounokotoba

ahounokotoba Kenkyuusei

Bforehand I`d like to sorry kay :D nothing personal :D Well that one was your opinion, I`d like to point something that photoshop can`t do.
    1. GIMP has better jpeg file compres than PS (a file with a same quality, the GIMP`s jpeg would size about half of PS jpeg)
    2. GIMP script-fu is more flexible than PS action since it using script that doesn`t depend on GIMP itself unlike action which is purely depend on PS
    3. With the same hardware spec, GIMP run smoother than PS (in default condition)
    4. GIMP is free and PS is not (this was my main reason of migrating)
    Sorry I can`t mention the other since I`m still learning GIMP

This one I totally disagree. Did you know that PIXAR`s animator using GIMP 1.2 ? I think the reason GIMP didn`t`t become the standard industry is purely about the fact that PS has more user than GIMP.

No sir, your comment build this thread. A thread should have people with different idea, so any comment as long it`s realistic is good :D

One more sir may I move the GIMPshop link into the first post so that it`s easier to find if someone needed it. :D

This way looks like iI have to finish my basic tutorial, since I`m sure everyone interested in GIMP would use that one (GIMPshop) :D

12. Eques

Eques Kenkyuusei

That's because GIMP and Photoshop don't use the same parameters for each quality setting. So 80% compression in Photoshop does not exactly translate to 80% compression in GIMP. If you use the same parameters, the quality and image size should be the same in both programs.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Do you mean that Photoshop uses a programming language that is specific to Photoshop? That would be wrong, because Photoshop works with JavaScript and Visual Basic.

Yes, programs with less or less complex features generally perform better.

Yes, that's true.

Well, maybe you can add some more once you've worked with adjustment layers in GIMP. Oh wait, GIMP doesn't have adjustment layers, never mind.

You mean after work hours?

Seriously though, you're probably talking about CinePaint, which is indeed based on GIMP, but it's not used by Pixar and is, unlike Photoshop and GIMP, aimed specifically at the movie industry, because CinePaint can handle some image formats GIMP can't handle.

For animation, Pixar mostly use their own program called Marionette and for rendering they use PhotoRealistic RenderMan.

No, GIMP's bad color management is the primary reason, but even if GIMP wasn't lacking in that department, it wouldn't be able to match Photoshop. Again, I do think it's a good program for most home users, and it's great that it's free, but as much as fans of the open source community like to argue that there is an equally good and free substitute for every commercial piece of software, it doesn't fly in this case.

No, I think this thread should just be about using GIMP. Comparing Photoshop to GIMP should not be what this thread is about. In fact, if you hadn't said

we would never have had this pointless discussion.

13. devnyx

devnyx Kenkyuusei

Wah... There're so many GIMP expert here...

I think i'll start try to use it... All yhis time i only use cracked PS... Hoho

14. ahounokotoba

ahounokotoba Kenkyuusei

@Eques : Sir don`t get so mad :( that was not a big deal right :confused: anyway it`s just my opinion so don`t take it too hard okay? I know I`m not always right so don`t take it seriously. Forgive me if I do something wrong. okay, I won`t continue the argue since it`s getting hot n looks like I won`t match you anyway :D

@Devnyx : Yup that`s great. It`s a lot better to use freeware than cracked software.

okay the tutorial :

Okay since I`m sure lot`s of you already has basic skill on graphic, I`m removing the basic step.

Making a white border around siggy

first it`s better to download this two pic so that you can keep track
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The reason why I wrote this is that sometimes I found people don`t know how to do it. It`s just simple but maybe because it`s too simple many people miss it

Okay let`s start
    1.Start with an image to be modified. If the size too big resize it. I`m using 500x200 pixel Sae image for this tutorial. (pic1 part1)
    2.Make a new layer with a white layer fill (you can use foreground or background if you want another color ready at foreground n background color) (pic1 part2)
    3. Right click on the new layer then select add layer mask. (pic1 part3) choose white.
    4. Click on the newly created layer mask (pic1 part4)
    5. Now I assume that you used default GIMP/GIMPshop. click on new brush so a dialog box will appear (pic2 part1) use the setting on the pic if you can`t see (radius: 50 hardness: 0 spacing: 1 and leave the other)
    Q: why do I have to make a new brush?
    A: Since by default GIMP doesn`t have a brush with 50 radius then you have to make it by yourself except you want to work 5 times of normal time.

6. Make sure your foreground color is black and use airbrush a bit in the middle (at least you can brush it twice). It will look like pic 2 part 2
    7. Change the brush opacity to 25% then start brushing the border so that the gradation trail missing (with 25% brush opacity it will take about 2-3 times).(pic2 part3) you can also vary your brushing method as long the inner part has smaller brush opacity (ex : 100%, 75%, 50%)
    just try your best it`s vary on each image

Give a bit addition n save to finish it.

My result was this :
    [​IMG]
    My fave part is it`s file size, try right click then properties. Whoa less than 40kb that would fit even on the strictest forum ever.

You can also use this for wallie, ava etc. just change the brush setting as needed.

Okay here`s a trick to minimize file size.
    1. save it into .xfs format in case you need it later.
    2. then save as .jpg. a warning will show up just click ok/export (sorry I`m a bit forgot)
    3. click on the preview box. another image box will appear.
    4. zoom to at least 200%
    5. drag the slider so there are no more disturbance appear (90%-95% will do)
    6. click save.
    look at the image size it sized half of 8 quality of PS and have the same quality as 8-10 quality of PS.

15. MilkGreen

MilkGreen Kenkyuusei

Wow this is quite good!!
    I'll try this since I can't install PS in my laptop
    *I don't know why and this stressed me*

16. kyu

kyu Kenkyuusei

Waw!!!
    A very useful thread for us who likes to design.
    Hmm...maybe i'll try to use this software, thank you for providing the links and the tutorial, ahounokotoba!!! :D

17. Gray

Gray Kenkyuusei

Even with all this, I still don't think I'm going to migrate away from Paint Shop Pro 7, an oldie but a goodie. XD

18. ahounokotoba

ahounokotoba Kenkyuusei

Wow lots people wants to try :D that`s great :D
    Sorry no update for last few days I`m occupied wed imageith linux n other things :D

Okay next tutorial

Create a grungy text effect
    I`ll give the screen shot tomm

Basically it`s the same as the one in PS but it`s a bit different in some area

1. Make a text
    2. make a layer mask (right click layer>mask>add layer (GIMP) choose mask menu mask>add layer (GIMPshop)) drag it so it`s positioned below the text layer
    3. Prepare a pic that you want to be a base for the grungy effect (any pic but make sure it has a lot of texture ex: tree, rust and bigger than the text at least twice) make a duplicate of it
    4. Now right click on prepared image and select treshold (right click layer>color>threshold (GIMP) image>adjusment>threshold (GIMPshop))
    5. Drag the slider to left so that white is dominant
    6. Select all and copy it
    7. Now the magic trick hold alt and click the layer mask. Voila you got tottaly white layer and the text above it. You can`t do this in linux GIMPshop since it has different setting.
    8. Paste the threshold-ed pic (you can`t paste a colored layer so you must do the prior threshold)
    9. hold alt and click the layer mask. the text should already has some grungy effect
    10. move the layer mask so that you satisfy with the effect

advantage : you can change your text without losing the effect or change the effect without changing the text

Ok that`s for today I`ll update tomorrow

Happy yay!!! :lol:

19. Datalanche

Datalanche Kenkyuusei

I have a question about GIMP. I made this sig picture in it tonight and I mostly figured what I needed out except for a few nuances compared to Photoshop. The first thing is moving text layers. Like in photoshop, you just click on the mouse tool thing, and move it wherever you want. Wherever I clicked, is where it started and stayed in GIMP. Also, when moving layers around, I noticed they don't clip to the sides if you move them close to the edges. Any ideas on that? Thanks. :)

20. ahounokotoba

ahounokotoba Kenkyuusei

^I`m not 100% sure what do you mean but this might help

For the text, you could move it anywhere by dragging the same as in PS and you can also edit it as long as you didnt raster it or merge it and you still can move it anytime you want

For the clipping, you can anchor it at any layer (use anchor button) but careful, the lower layer will be stacked and it was destructive. If you want a better solution, use masking.

If theres any screenshot, that would help

Happy yay!!! :lol: