Iwata Karen (Karen) / 12th Generation

Discussion in 'AKB48 Graduated Members' started by Lariemeeva, May 27, 2011.

1. krhendro

krhendro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Twitter:
    KR_HENDRO
    Weekly Karen! I hope you guys here don't get bored by this. :^^;:

No blog translations yet, but there's an article from Buzzfeed Japan about Karen and it's related to Tohoku (of course)

Source: https://www.buzzfeed.com/tatsunoritokushige/iwatakaren?utm_term=.rhoyY8RERq#.nkPROrbnbE

Tatsunori Tokushige
    徳重辰典
    BuzzFeed Social
    News Editor, Japan

Idol and the face of earthquake disaster victim support, former AKB48 Iwata Karen’s conflict and determination.

The memories of keep running as idol for the sake of Tohoku

[​IMG]
    By Tatsunori Tokushige / BuzzFeed

Earthquake and idol. Both are equal to former AKB48 Iwata Karen (18)

「What can I do for someone?」Project which is continued by AKB48 since 2011 for 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake Relief Support Charity Activities. Iwata, who was the only disaster victim has appeared in many media as the face of the activity.

It’s been 6 years since the earthquake.

「For me it was like recent memories. The clock has stopped since that day for many people in Tohoku, including me. Even when I lived in Tokyo, I feel that. Even more in the disaster areas now, from the people who work for reconstruction」

Conflict drawn by the gap of idol and earthquake victim

March 11th, 2011,「The day of turning point of life」. Iwata who was a 6th grade student became a victim in an apartment in Sendai city, Miyagi prefecture.

She stayed in her father’s car overnight, and then with her family she went to the shelter and then stayed to her relative’s place.

3 weeks after the earthquake, there was AKB Research Student audition.

She was at loss of whether she should go for it or not, but the words from her mother 「Become AKB, when you returned to your hometown, you will be its strength」supported her, so she went to Tokyo. She was accepted as a result.

Busy day in Tokyo. She didn’t went to her elementary school’s graduation ceremony because it was postponed by the earthquake, and she couldn’t say goodbye to her friends.

She advanced to the path of idol while having the thoughts of her hometown. However, wearing glittering clothes, showered by lights, and the gap of being an earthquake victim have caught her in self-disgust.

The people of my hometown surely didn’t care of my activities. It’s painful when I thought of that.

The first visit to disaster area that was scary

[​IMG]
    Year 2011, AKB’s disaster area visit to Rikuzentakata City, by AKS

On November 13th, 2011, Iwata visited the disaster area for the first time as AKB in Rikuzentakata City, Iwate Prefecture.

「It was scary. I thought it was weird if I were told that I left my hometown, what kind of face should I show when I meet everyone?」

The first stage in the affected area. In the middle of cold rain of November, the children, without umbrellas, were waiting for the appearance of AKB while getting soaked.

「There are people who didn’t care about our activities at that time, of course there were things that they didn’t understand, but with their glittering eyes, those children were waiting. People who have waited for hours, even if it’s just 1 person, I thought that I have no choice but to continue」

The Miracle Pine Tree in Rikuzentakata is an unforgettable scenery until now. She was told by AKB Producer Akimoto Yasushi 「Be the Pine Tree of AKB」.

I have to stand strong. That’s what she thought.

[​IMG]
    By Jijipress

Criticism of reconstruction support activities

Iwata, who was the only victim of the earthquake, became the face of the reconstruction support in AKB.

She participated as one of the singing member of the year 2012′s Great East Japan Earthquake charity song 「Flowers will Bloom」. She also sang the solo version for the coupling.

As a navigator of NHK 「Karen’s Reconstruction Calendar」, she told the daily life of the people who lived in the disaster area that was not covered by the news.

Until now, disaster area visits exceeded 80 times.

Although she went around the disaster area as AKB, 3 years since the earthquake, the reconstruction didn’t progressed, people who watched the stage became less and less. People who came also took a step back.

「I thought that was because there were people that think: I don’t want to hear songs. I couldn’t care less about dreams and hopes. In the middle of that, we held our microphone and came to see them, it became a selling of one-sided kindness. Other than me who was the victim of the disaster, the members who were not affected by the disaster has also been thinking about it many times」

[​IMG]

There was some time where the activity received bashing on the internet.

「At those days I worked desperately, I couldn’t care less about what I was told. It’s not the time to care about those things. That was the most important thing」

「When I think about it now, I didn’t really feel the pain of my heart because I was so desperate. I entered when I was 12 years old, I was doing well in that kind of situation」

Do the activities as an entertainer save the disaster area? Iwata answered the question while choosing the words.

「If there are people who can become energy, there are also people who cannot. There are also people who have no interest in entertainers. We believed in that and there is no other choice but to continue」

The biggest thing to think about was celebrities’ power to send message through their blogs and other means. And make (people of) their surroundings smile.

「Even for me, there are people who look forward to take pictures together, there are shops that are decorated with (my) signs. I was pleased by that. I’m happy to be a celebrity」

[​IMG]
    Year 2012 visit to disaster area in Natori City, Miyagi Prefecture. Left is Iwata Karen, by AKS

Iwata who was asked for comments about her connection to the earthquake, and has a slight gloomy image, was originally a person who is easily flattered. She was glad to appear in variety shows, but there are also conflict at the same time.

「I am connected to the earthquake. I was worried about what will happen if I got creamed, or did some reactions」

It was the smile of the people she met in the disaster area that saved her from her worries.

「There are also lots of shows in Miyagi, there are lots of people who watched. The kid who left Sendai has now been doing these kind of thing, it’s fine to laugh. 『How does scorpion (the one that was eaten in variety show) taste like?』 When I heard that, on the other hand, (I answered) it was a little bit complicated (LOL)』」

Things about herself are the second, the third. After all, she wants to go to meet the people of Tohoku. She’s been looking for what kind of things that she can do. She was enthusiastic.

Is it painful to work hard for the sake of Tohoku?

「Because it was the reason I worked hard. If there’s no earthquake, I might enter AKB as usual for less than a year. I think I would not be in this kind of world」

No matter how hard it is, no matter how much she wants to quit, she can do her best if she thinks about Tohoku.

「I have a reason to work hard, I have people that I want to protect, I have a place to return. I think those are things that make me happy. That’s why I didn’t think even once that it was painful to work hard for the sake of my hometown」

Graduated from AKB after enrolled for 5 years

[​IMG]

Iwata graduated from AKB on March 2016. Turning point since joining 5 years ago. There were no basis (for the graduation), but she had this thought in herself.

「I didn’t overestimate myself, there were things left that I need to do, but I have devoted all my youth in AKB and support activities. Perhaps it’s time for me to work hard for myself」

Feeling that she has carried out that far, she finished her activities for 5 years since March 11th, 4 days later on March 15th she finished her activities as AKB with the graduation performance.

Messages from her mother were read in the performance. It was like this at the end of the sentence.

「We may be foolish parents (*oyabaka) , but you are truly the best daughter in the world」

Even though I left AKB, I haven’t changed my mind

Her old place AKB, on March 4th, visited disaster areas of Iwate, Miyagi, Fukushima, and had reconstruction support live there. Seeing her peers went to visit the disaster area and thinking that she also wanted to go, she felt a little bit of pain.

However, now she works hard on the works in front of her, she wants to be an actress that could make the local people happy by just going there. She also thinks that she wants to work hard in the movies and videos that shows her hometown.

The desire to do work related to Tohoku also doesn’t change.

On March, she also served as a narrator in the documentary program 「High School Students who Connect Tohoku’s Future, Our Dreams」. During the recording, seeing the younger children working so hard, she lost of words.

Found a new goal which is photography

The current dream is not just being an actress.

Through blog and social media, she’s thinking of sending messages of the current situation of the disaster areas, not only the light of the reconstruction, but also the parts in the shadow that haven’t progressed yet.

However, words can be often misunderstood. In such case, she thought that if it were picture, she could reflect the light of the present Tohoku as well as the shadow.

[​IMG]
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BMqCPgrjJ9G/

Photo of Arahama Elementary School uploaded on Iwata’s Instagram Instagram: @karen0513_

「There are also buildings that are purposely left after the earthquake. Putting what I want to express in a frame, uploading it, I’ll be happy if more people come to visit Tohoku」

She got 0 experience in photography. Now in order to learn about taking pictures, she was helped by her acquaintance who is a cameraman.

「Please allow me to learn, I asked. I’ll be happy if I can take pictures with good expressions. Of course Tohoku’s scenery is also included, but I also want to take pictures of the people who are working hard there」

To the future

Started from AKB, and then reconstruction support activities since 12 years old. She has devoted all her youth.

「I like my hometown. I like people in my hometown. I like the scenery of my hometown. I’ve been working hard so that one day the scenery will restore as soon as possible. That’s why, now I am here」

Actress and photography, now, she’s heading for those 2 dreams. Beyond those dreams is her hometown.

Iwata Karen, even now, still together with Tohoku.

[​IMG]

- Her work in SAKURA has finally finished yesterday. Good work, Karen! Having no rest, she then continued to Silent Mobius practice. :banana:

- Her iPhone case is worth of 64,000 yen in the Charity Auction. That's pretty awesome and hopefully the winner treasures it well. :1st:

- Today was the day her calendar was released. Anyone bought them?

- Btw, I've found a stream of the NNN Document show on NTV where Karen is the narrator: Click here

- I've also found the one on Fuji TV. She appeared in this one: Click here

2. krhendro

krhendro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Twitter:
    KR_HENDRO
    Hello guys, so it's been a year since Karen's Graduation Performance. As I've said before, I took some time to do translation for Karen's Mom's letter.

Source: http://akb48.blog48.fc2.com/blog-entry-20512.html

To Karen

Congratulations for your graduation.

Were you satisfied with the last stage?

5 years ago on March 11th. Your fate has changed drastically at the age of 12. And tonight, at the age of 17 you have also made a courageous big decision.

5 years ago, an unexpected great disaster occurred in Tohoku, the hometown you loved. Those troubles and conflicts you had when you left the hometown to Tokyo. Do you remember?

At the last part of the AKB Documentary Movie released in 2012, you read aloud a letter to your best friend. In Tokyo you couldn’t eat because you didn’t know the safety confirmation of your best friend who lived in the shore, yet you’re still desperately continuing the lessons for your kenkyuusei debut.

When you were able to confirm your best friend’s safety, you’re just hugging and crying each other in the gymnasium which act as the evacuation shelter back when there was a live.

It was only for 2 hours, but when you’re going back to Tokyo, your tears and hesitations disappeared from the look of your eyes, I remembered as if it was just yesterday.

For the sake of your best friends and families you left back in your hometown, you’re really preoccupied. At that time, words of encouragement from fans through social media strengthen your heart more than anything else. On the other hand, there were also heartless writing, and also things that almost broke your heart over and over again. I’m sorry that you’ve carried various things on your back.

At that time, the one who helped you was the anime 「AKB0048」, your encounter with Motomiya Nagisa. I thought of Nagisa-chan as the part of you where you entrusted your hope and future.

Conveying the voice of the people in the disaster area with 「Karen’s Reconstruction Calendar」, and singing the wonderful song「Flowers will Bloom」solo. Because you’re in AKB, you were able to experience a lot of things and blessed with many encounters, so please don’t forget your gratitude for being helped by them.

You changed school twice when you’re in 2nd grade middle school, moving over and over again, living in a small apartment where you cannot self-practice with satisfaction, you made those white numbers on the floor, 0 position, 0.5, 1. The position number grew steadily and the floor was full of numbers.

While in Japan’s number one Idol group called AKB, you’re always troubled 「I cannot go on like this」then you found a movie audition, applied through general framework, challenged a long audition which lasted for 6 months, although the result was frustrating, but you believed that「Someone will surely see me」, and your hard work was properly connected to the next movie appearance, I was really happy.

There is nothing useless in five years of your experience. Please be confident. And then, please continue your dreams as yourself so that one day you can return the favor back to Akimoto-sensei and the staffs.

Now as the image of 「Hagi no Tsuki」, the famous confection from your hometown which is chosen as the number 1 souvenir of the whole country, as Kurihara City Dream Ambassador where your grandfather and grandmother stayed, there are lots of people who support you. From now on, please do your best for the sake of the reconstruction of your hometown, Tohoku.

Everyone of the Iwata Family who came to the theatre today, everyone who supports via On Demand, everyone who cheers from far away, I really can’t say nothing but gratitude. My daughter can work hard thanks to the fans, the staffs, the members, and the people of her hometown. I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude from the real Iwata Family. Thank you very much.

And then lastly, I have a favor to ask. I will be a real challenge after she graduated from AKB. Please continue to support Karen further even after graduation.

We may be foolish parents, but you are truly the best daughter in the world. From now on, let’s cry and laugh together. Whatever happens I will always support you forever.

From Mother

This one year I saw that Karen got a lot of jobs, of course not as much as others, but it is still pretty much. Moreover, she got a lot of stage play jobs. Often that before one job ended, she announced another job. She got no rest. :^^;:

As for my view, she has done well. So far so good and hopefully will get better and better! :1st:

So what do you guys think about this one year of Karen? I would like to hear your thoughts! :worthy:

3. Lalo Martins

Lalo Martins Member

Oshimen:
    Kudo Riko (48), Takase Kurumi
    Twitter:
    martins_lalo
    I think she's doing really well, actually. Her primary dream is musical theatre, and that has an utterly insane schedule, with preparation, rehearsal, performances. It leaves little time for other work. So considering the amount of other work she is getting, I'm happy enough for her. I doubt she'd have time for more — the goal now has to be to get better work, not more.

4. sweetygirl1994

sweetygirl1994 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    I also think that Karen's doing really really well, especially considering the fact that she wasn't one of the popular members. I'm also excited that she has developed an interest in photography and I'm already looking forward to all the shots we'll get to see.

5. Crossheart

Crossheart Member

Oshimen:
    Amaki Sally
    Twitter:
    rom_ch22
    As far i know, she is doing better than other graduates. And she's considerably doing more than her AKB time

• Like Like x 1
  6. krhendro

krhendro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Twitter:
    KR_HENDRO
    Hey guys, thanks for your responses, awesome!

Btw, Karen tweeted this: https://twitter.com/karen0513_/status/842761939788869633

Which translates to this:

"Honestly I felt like walking in a long tunnel for months, but I finally saw the light,,
    The pleasure of being rewarded, after a while…

Thank you
    Thank you very much."

So.. expect another announcement soon? Really can't wait for the news! :banana:

She had a LINE LIVE tonight talking about Silent Mobius. As usual you can watch the stream on her LINE LIVE page.

Cute as always. :XD:

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 10.03.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 10.03.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 10.02.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 10.02.37 PM.png

Right, tomorrow she'll have the calendar release event with Ishida Haruka.

if the video does not show watch the video here

7. krhendro

krhendro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Twitter:
    KR_HENDRO
    Hello guys, just dropping by here to lift this thread up and inform you that Silent Mobius stage play will kick off tomorrow from 29 March to 2 April. Karen posted and retweet a lot of photos from the practice which you can see from her twitter.

Oh, also, she has graduated from High School! Congrats!! Now she will be a university student. Still a long way to go. I believe Hirari was also in the same school as Karen, too (?)

https://twitter.com/karen0513_/status/843027616621723648
    https://twitter.com/hirari_official/status/843288888617517056

C7MJJJaVwAAYXru.jpg C7P2xH2U8AAdTtw.jpg

8. Nattan

Nattan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    She still upload dance videos?? or maybe to busy for it.

9. krhendro

krhendro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Twitter:
    KR_HENDRO
    ^ I believe she is still uploading videos on rare occasions due to her tight and busy schedule. She's having works here and there, but I think she's already teasing for the next video on her birthday (13th May)

10. kazu-kun

kazu-kun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Yup, can't wait until tomorrow to see Karen on stage again.

IMG_2952.JPG

11. krhendro

krhendro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Twitter:
    KR_HENDRO
    ^ awesome! Are you going to do some report later on?

12. kazu-kun

kazu-kun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Probably, it seems you can take pictures afterwards as well:

13. krhendro

krhendro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Twitter:
    KR_HENDRO
    So Silent Mobius stage play has kicked off from today! I believe @kazu-kun was there to watch the performance!

There's also news coverage about the play. I haven't watch the anime yet, but from the looks of it, it was awesome!

14. Exsequor

Exsequor Kenkyuusei

I'm glad to see that she's doing well <3

15. kazu-kun

kazu-kun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    I'm about to fly back, but yes I was there; I was two seats from the aisle when Karen walk by; it's the closest I ever got since I never got a chance to go to hs or 2shots.

We get to take group photo of the cast afterwards:

IMG_3006.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  16. krhendro

krhendro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Twitter:
    KR_HENDRO
    So apparently two Space Sheriffs (Uchuu Keiji), Ohba Kenji (Gavan) and Watari Hiroshi (Sharivan) came to watch Silent Mobius! As a tokusatsu fan I'd say this is totally awesome! :1st::worthy:

From Ohtori Emi's blog: http://ameblo.jp/ohtori-emi/entry-12261043412.html

o0960054013901875224.jpg

======================================

EDIT:

The opening has been uploaded! It's really like an opening of an anime, the introduction of the casts.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  17. krhendro

krhendro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Twitter:
    KR_HENDRO
    Silent Mobius Stage Play has finished safely! A lot of positive feedback from those who watched it!

It might be late to post this, but this is Karen's interview about Silent Mobius:

Source: http://girlsnews.tv/actress/290169

[​IMG]
    Iwata Karen The most difficult one is love scene Stage Play Silent Mobiusarrives in Shinjuku

Stage Play 『Silent Mobius』, based on the popular comic by Asamiya Kia, is being performed in Shinjuku Theatre Sun Mall from March 29th to April 2nd.

On March 29th, the general probe was held for mass media and stakeholders before the first day actual performance, the casts, Iwata Karen (Katsumi Liqueur), Asuka Rin (Kiddy Phenil). Suzuki Saki (Lebia Maverick), Yasaka Saori (Yamigumo Nami), Sekiya Mayu (Lum Cheng), Arisawa Mutsuki (Saiko Yuki), and others faithfully reproduced the characters from the original works in the performance.

The original comic is a sci-fi work depicting the battle between Nemesis (Lucifer Hawk) and AMP (Attacked Mystification Police), set in the near future TOKYO, it has also been made into several theatrical animation and TV animation. The stylish design that brings out the view of cyberpunk world, the eye-catching visuals of beautiful girls fighting, but in this stage play version, although the action cannot be ignored, the work is finished with the inner charm that attracts the heart, such as the beauty and kindness of the characters’ lines that were spoken.

We asked Iwata Karen who played Katsumi Liqueur about her feelings just before the actual performance.

-Please tell us your impressions after finishing the general probe.

「As this is a 2.5 dimension work, the sounds and images are very artistic, but until yesterday it was difficult to adjust the timing, so I was worried if we could do the first day performance safely. But I was glad that the general probe finished excellently. Once again I was impressed that the staff are really professional」

-What was the most difficult part?

「The sword fight and action are also difficult, but the most difficult part is the love scene (LOL). I don’t have a kiss scene, but for me it was my first time to play a role who has a lover. I practiced the scene with my lover Roy many times, but I got a lot of bad things out from Director Hosokawa. I was told that “ (The relationship of these two person) is not express, the train stops in every station”, so we both worried about what the meaning is.」

-How is your impression of wearing the AMP uniform?

「It is improved to make it easier to move, it’s just like the original work, I got a lot of enthusiasm by just wearing it. I’m excited and motivated.」

-The part where you wield Sword Emperor Grosspolinar and fight is the highlight.

「I practiced quite a bit to make it looks cool. It’s not just when I was guided by the sword fighting teacher, when the ensembles are going out, in the morning the practice hall is opened and at the same time, I stayed until late night, I practiced during my spare time. Actually I was in kendo club, I was doing 100 iterations everyday, but the muscles from that time came back and it revived the feeling that it’s been a while」

-Please give the appeal of the stage play for the last one.

「Because the density of the original work is really high, it is a less-than-2-hours stage play that is packed with a lot of informations, but with that, it was a really a heavy work. For those who know Silent Mobius, it seems that they will like it more, and for those who don’t know, they will be attracted to it. It’s a work that I have made together with everyone by overcoming many things, so I think that many people will take a look at it and receive our feelings」

Some photos:

img20170329sm_17.jpg img20170329sm_18.jpg img20170329sm_19.jpg img20170329sm_16.jpg

Looks cool!

There hasn't been any new announcement from Karen yet, but there were signs of her having some shootings back then. Looking forward to her next job! :banana:

18. krhendro

krhendro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Twitter:
    KR_HENDRO
    Weekly Karen!

Not much news lately because there hasn't been any new announcement.

She updated her blog about Silent Mobius. Currently in the middle of translating. It's veeeery long.

But on the other hand, she changed her hairstyle! Looks good to me. What do you guys think?

C8zDjbzUMAES_XF.jpg C80vTwdUAAAtt3D.jpg C82wV9pUwAEXaOh.jpg C82wV9mV0AAkDgr.jpg C9FjUcVVwAARdJz.jpg

A small appearance on a magazine, she was listed in Nikkei Entertainment May Edition in 「人気者の転身最新事情」/ "Popular person turnaround in the latest situation" (?) (Pardon the google translate quality)

https://twitter.com/79_vintage/status/850946789104427008

She was listed with several former AKB members like Maeda Atsuko and Shinoda Mariko, which is pretty awesome.

19. sweetygirl1994

sweetygirl1994 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    I like her new hairstlye it suits her very well, it makes her more mature. That last picture reminds me of Nezumi from MG :^^;:

20. krhendro

krhendro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatakaren
    Twitter:
    KR_HENDRO
    Speak of the devil! Just as I wondered what is Karen's next role, she announced it today! :banana:

She's in a stage play called "Metropolitan Police Sword Division Vol 1", starring Nakamura Yuichi (Kamen Rider Zeronos) and Inoue Masahiro (ONORE DIKEIDO). It was based from a manga.

Her character is named Mutobe Mana.

http://battoka-stage.jp/news_20170414_3

C9VeMVQUwAAfmIM.jpg C9VeMT-VYAEzA0_.jpg