1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Watanabe Mayu (Mayuyu) / 3rd Generation

Discussion in 'AKB48 Graduated Members' started by arrowisland, Jun 5, 2007.

1. maiyanzaka46

maiyanzaka46 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    白石麻衣 / 守屋茜 / 佐々木久美
    Mayuyu was one of the biggest reasons why I became a fan of AKB48 almost 10 years ago. Without members like her, I wouldn't have had anything to distract me. I became interested in idol music because of AKB48 and to say they genuinely saved my life is an understatement. I was diagnosed with leukemia in November of 2009, and if I hadn't had a normal check-up, and it had gone unnoticed, I would've died. It was such a culture shock now having to adjust my life to take multiple pills a day, have so many concerns doing basic stuff, etc. I found Heavy Rotation and the PV on YouTube and of course, being a 13 year old boy at the time, I loved it.

Idols were my favorite distraction from the real world because to me, they were just cute girls who can sing and dance and wanted to make everyone smile. Thankfully, they did just that for me. I watched Mayuyu grow from a cute idol cyborg to a beautiful and mature young woman. I wholly support her decision to rest. Whatever she does, I will gladly support her. I'm forever grateful to her and I will fondly remember her time in AKB.

I also drew these pics for her. I meant to finish them a year ago but abandoned it. I wanted to tweet it to her so she can see but...regardless, I'm thankful. I love you, Mayuyu. Thank you for making me smile during the darkest time of my life.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  2. asakuraikun

asakuraikun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Inori / Ten / Tamami
    There's a lot we could say, and everyone is probably feeling the same because it was so sudden... but I hope Mayu can get health and live the life she surely deserves after working so hard for son long. Maybe someday we can get a picture of her with some of her friends, maybe not.

If it wasn't by Ikoma Rina and Watanabe Mayu I would not be an idol fan, so both have my gratitude forever. I'll always cheer Mayuyu!

3. Hunter

Hunter Kenkyuusei

Yes, It was from Jonetsu Tairiku, the interviewer asked her the day after SSK 2015, when she end up 3rd, if she would chose to be idol again if she reincarnated, she say no since "she has already enjoyed too much of this (idol) life" , she want to try non-idol life and she chose to be a cat, to be able to be free and lazy all day

4. mayuri91

mayuri91 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    shiraishimai
    maybe she just want to rest. let her be.

5. Mana

Mana Under Girls

if the video does not show watch the video here

I rewatched this performance from 2012 with Mayuyu and Takamina, where they sing a song called "Suki ni Natte, Yokatta" which means "I'm glad that I loved you"... I think the lyrics represent how all of us Mayuyu fans feel right now ;w; it's a beautiful song and beautiful performance too, I really love it. I wish you all the best Mayuyu <3

• Like Like x 6
  6. amimaru

amimaru Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    koikeminami
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mayuyusuki

Mayuyusuki Member

I'll be sad if this is the last we hear from Mayuyu. But her health comes first, then her happiness. I hope she comes back in some form in a year or two, just to let us know things are okay.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rayanami

rayanami Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oginoyuka
    If by any form you mean
    if the video does not show watch the video here, then I'm on board!(skip to 5:44)

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Ophelia

Ophelia Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Kitahara Rie
    I'm sure this happens to a lot of idols who grow up in the spotlight since they were young and had to hide their true selves in favour of some fake created image. I'm sure Mayu especially had to deal with a lot of creepy old dudes and the only way you can deal with that is to dissociate a bit. As a fellow woman I just know that a lot of idol are faking a lot of stuff. From the way they behave towards fans, toning down their intelligence, being pushed towards an idol character, hyper femininity, etc... After a while stuff can start eating at you if you can't compartmentalize and give it a place without letting it bother you too much. Mayu was always the ''perfect'' idol and was held up to a higher standard. That sure comes with a lot of expectations..

FYI, this is just a thought I have after reading this. Not saying this is really what happened or how she might think. Mayu said different things over the years about her place within the idol industry (and the industry in general) that required you to read between the lines a bit. Can't full out say those kinds of things when your popularity is very much dependent on your fan base, even after graduating.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Agito

Agito Kenkyuusei

Mayuyu has been my kami oshi since 2009. She deserves the rest. It has been a long road. I hope she lives a good life.

11. Mayuyusuki

Mayuyusuki Member

The Goddess takes many forms :worthy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    Modelpress has just published an article about LARME magazine resuming publication. As an illustration they've used the cover of the first edition from 2012 which featured Mayu (as well as Maiyan from Nogizaka46):

WIpwbEdhXU8ZBww-96lxH0kQHwAZxAxmiq08yGlE71I (1).jpg

(Source: https://mdpr.jp/news/detail/2095118)

• Like Like x 5
  13. GOBlue

GOBlue Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyazawasae
    I know I'm a bit late to the party on this but you're right the "health issues" thing is always so broad and sometimes ominous sounding. Because of the culture of privacy they have over there I can't help but wonder what some of these health issues are that take idols out for over a year and I start to wonder because they make it sound like it's just the flu but then in some cases they end up just retiring all together after a year or two of silence with no updates and I start to think "wow did they have cancer or something?" thankfully that never seems to be the case but I wish they would give us a bit more information when idols take long breaks

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dutchie

dutchie Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    峯岸みなみ
    T.b.h. I think there's a lot of positive aspects about a society where someone can take a step back from being famous and have their privacy if they need or want it.

so if Mayuyu decides to leave the entertainment world, and doesn't feel the need or doesn't want to give a detailed reason (and even asks her fans not to speculate about the reason). Then frankly, that's her decision.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. GOBlue

GOBlue Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyazawasae
    I can agree with that sentiment but that is in the case of retirement, once they retire they can do whatever they want and it's no ones concern why they retired.

16. dutchie

dutchie Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    峯岸みなみ
    Feel free to explain how 'leaving the entertainment industry' differs from 'retiring', because, frankly, I really fail to see the difference

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. best48fan

best48fan Kenkyuusei

Really? And i'm not being sarcastic either.

18. Pheebs

Pheebs Upcoming Girls

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. richard durbano

richard durbano Kenkyuusei

I found a subtitled video from Mayuyu's graduation where Sasshi said to her that she should be as selfish as she wants to be now and that everyone knows how tough it's been for her and how she should really start to consider herself and her health more once she graduates. It's obvious that Mayuyu's health issues are not a recent thing like a pregnancy. Sasshi made it seem that it was common knowledge among the members that Mayuyu had health issues and has had them for quite a while. And years ago on AKBingo I remember she admitted that she was ''a gloomy person''. Still surprising that none of the girls have ever spilled the beans about Mayuyu's long-time health problems, whether they be physical or emotional.

• Like Like x 2
  20. hiroto

hiroto Next Girls

In the video Ikoma-chan has mentioned Mayuyu in question 22 of how she influenced her.

Q これまで出会った勝てないなぁ。と思った人は?
    Who is the person you've met in your life and you'll never get over?

A 渡辺麻友さんかなぁ。あの人のおかげでアイドル頑張ろうと思えたので。
    Probably, Mayu Watanabe. Because of her, I've been able to do what I was and am doing.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1