Movie / DVD Hinatazaka46 Documentary Film 2nd

Discussion in 'Hinatazaka46 News and Releases' started by turbogig, Jul 20, 2022.

1. turbogig

turbogig Member

Oshimen:
    Habu Mizuho
    Hinatazaka46 2nd Documentary 'Kibo to Zetsubo – sono namida o daremo shiranai' (Hope and Despair – No One knows their Tears) was released on July 8 2022.

if the video does not show watch the video here

Today I had the privilege of seeing the documentary at the cinema and decided to share a summary and some of my thoughts here. The summary is going to contain spoilers, so please be aware. I am not a native Japanese speaker, so I might have missed or misinterpreted some things. The summary is aimed at people who are eager to know more about the movie right know. If you want to see it for yourself without any foreshadowing please wait until the official BD/DVD release.
    The movie begins with Sasaki Kumi talking about the difficulties they have experienced as a group. She says that there are some things she'd rather not show in a movie. The members are first and foremost humans and all sorts of things can happen, but at the same time she feels a bit uneasy that a group that takes pride in cheering other people up sometimes ends up not being able to keep it up on the inside. The narrator speaks about covid and how it affected the group. Various members talk about how they realised that covid had robbed them of the things that they had been taking for granted until now. Being unable to perform in front the fans during lives and the cancellation of handshake events has lead to all sorts of worries and troubles among the members. Notably Watanabe Miho and Kato Shiho have expressed that they felt deep dissatisfaction with performing at empty venue during online live, going as far as saying that they had lost the motivation at some point, since the rehearsals and the main thing were almost almost indistinguishable from each other. Saito Kyoko and Sasaki Mirei also described how they felt these performances were 'incomplete' and said they had worries about disappointing or even losing the fans as a result. However there were also the positives: Kageyama Yuuka had returned from the hiatus and 3ki had started their activities.

The story then focuses on Matsuda Konoka who went on hiatus and then her struggles to come back. Some footage of her rehabilitation exercises after which lots of crying ensue. There was also a heartwarming scene when Sasaki Kumi and Kato Shiho suddenly enter the training room to check up on her commenting on how skinny she has become etc. Then Miyata Manamo's hiatus is also mentioned with the narrator summing it up along the lines of 'the initial period of covid was diffult for the members both physically and especially mentally'.

After this there was a sort of Kosaka Nao arc. It starts with the senbatsu announcement for Azato kawaii, when Sasaki Mirei was selected as a center. After the senbatsu the staff had interviewed Nao and she expressed some complicated feelings on the matter. She felt somewhat relieved as consecutive centering was putting serious pressure on her, but at the same time she was unsure what it was like to stand in other positions. She concluded that it was for the best and she intended to use it as a chance to grow as a performer. The film then cuts to Sasaki Mirei who tells about her worries regarding Kosakana. There was a notable moment which showed an interesting dynamic between these two. Miipan said that she made a decision to talk to Kosaka when the time comes when she is not selected to center. She also said it was clear how difficult it was for Kosaka to always act as a representative of the group. Trying to be a good and supportive senpai she decided to support Nao, but she never imagined she would become the one to replace her for the album track and it made things somewhat harder. Miipan also talks about a big responsibility of releasing new songs after a long wait.

Then there was a part about 2nd Anniversary which showcased behind the scenes footage where members were hyped to finally be able to stand in front of the live audience. At one point Takamoto Ayaka is showed laughing and saying she might never be able to return to online only lives. Captain also talks in detail about how Ohisama is such an important existence to them and that 2nd Anniversary highlighted the fact they can not function properly without all the energy and passion they can only receive directly from the fans.

The story then focuses again on Kosaka Nao, who started to show signs of a bad condition. Watanabe Miho speaks about their relations as friends and comrades within the 2ki and says she was aware of Nao's problems, but was unable to fully help her in spite of all. It is at this point where she said the famous line from the trailer 'I knew that she might never come back, if I let go of her hand'. There was a scene where I think it was Konno-san somewhat nonchalantly announces that Kosaka will be taking a hiatus, while many members are visibly distressed. Sasaki Kumi then speaks about the hiatuses and says that while it was of course to hear such news, in fact there was another aspect to it. They felt relieved than anybody could take a break if they required it and it kept them going. (Honestly she was just trying to cover the management's ass here)

Speaking of management. I am always the one to bash them around Sakurazaka forums and here I go again. The next couple of parts were especially rich in showing the management's faults, the way I see it. The first part is about Katoshi and how she ended up burned up during the Kimi shika kattan release. Long story short, she was thrilled to experience all sorts of jobs that came with it, but after some the fatigue had started to set it. One example is shown where she showed up for Love it recording at 7AM while looking visibly tired. She was unable to give the usual replies during the recording. In an impromptu interview (also seen in a trailer) she talks about how her heart is ready, but the body is not well. She then proceeds to call herself baka for not being able to figure it out and bursts in tears. Another episode was from the ill-fated cheerleader dance event which was livestreamed during Kimi shika release. I have to say that seeing always genki and fooling around Katoshi falling down to her knees and crying behind the scenes was pretty hard. In the end, when recalling this time she says that even now she vividly remembers the feeling of being drained. She then proceed it was all her fault for not telling anybody about her condition, because she was afraid of losing jobs. (Covering mngmt again, huh)

After this there was a part about W-Keyaki fes. 2021. While members were happy to finally be able to stand in front of a proper crowd, many of them mentioned how tough the preparations were. Notably Watanabe Miho described this period as 'Not being able to feel the happiness that had always associated with lives'. She felt that she was not the only member who stopped having fun around that time. The movie then cuts to final rehearsals that were held at the actual venue when the outside temperature was exceeding 30 degrees Celsius. Members are standing on stage in thick black training clothes with some wearing pretty funny looking sunshade hats. Despite the weather the rehearsals persist and the footage of members feeling unwell is shown, notably of Marimoto Marii being driven out in a wheelchair. The same thing happened during the actual performance with some members collapsing the moment they stepped behind the stage. (Bravo management for keeping up the good old Keyakizaka ways, ahem)

At the end of the first day the members were given an evaluation that Dare yori performance was lacking. Some of them including Matsude Konoka and Sasaki Kumi have commented that were having fun and giving it their best, but apparently because of the weather they were unable to properly convey it to the audience. The group was determined to give their best and fixed the shortcoming of the first day. The footage of the final day's Dare tobe is shown and it's magnificent, goosebumps inducing. The film then cuts to the joint briefing after the end where both Hinatazaka and Sakurazaka members are getting response from the management. The portion where Hinatazaka members are getting told they are lacking as a group is shown, with Sasaki Kumi giving a speech proclaiming that they are going to fix everything and bring out their best qualities more clearly. Another short clip is shown where Katoshi, Kumi and some others are half-jokingly/half-seriously venting off frustration by shouting their lungs off outside.

The next part was mainly about the arena tour, but also included a rather short part about the production of Tteka Members are given poor evaluation once again after the Hiroshima lives. Members talk about difficulties they had experienced during the time with many citing their lack of prior tour experience as a major point. Watanabe Miho says that it was during this time when she decided to pursue career in acting and to graduate from Hinatazaka. Speaking of the arena tour, Sasaki Kumi says that they felt unsatisfied with themselves and that if the same problems persist they might not be able to properly hold a live in Tokyo dome. Eventually they were able to figure it out by discussing everything among themselves first and then having the Captain tell their thoughts to the management. As a result, for the first time they were able to have an input in organizing the live and not follow all the orders as is which was the norm previously. Apparently it had a great impact in making the lives go smoother and bringing back the confidence during the tour's final.

The story then cuts to a group meeting in early January 2022, when Watanabe Miho announced her graduation. Shortly after Kosaka Nao makes an appearance marking the end of her hiatus. The footage of senbatsu announcement is shown and members talk about how hard it must have been to center right off the bat. Nao is shown feeling unwell during the recording of Boku nanka MV, with members trying to cheer her up.

The wait is almost over and Hinatachans are finally starting to prepare the Tokyo dome live. Members are looking forward to it as a last chance to perform together with all 22 members. It was during a rehearsal 5 days before the event when a staff-san came and announced that Hamagishi Hiyori had tested positive and would not be able to participate. A rather heart-wrenching video of Watanabe Miho bursting in tears is shown. While bawling she kept saying it was unfair and things can't go on like this. The members were then transported to a hospital where they underwent a PCR testing.

In the end they were able to fulfill the dream of performing in Tokyo dome. Kakizaki Memi, Iguchi Mao and Nagahama Neru are shown in the audience. Highlights of the concerts are showcased, with Dare yori (Tokyo dome extreme edition) and Yakusoku no tamago being the most prominent. Not going to lie, it was indeed glorious and yet again goose bumps inducing. Kosaka Nao is being shown being well and active as a center in Boku nanka and Sasaki Kumi gives a speech during encore.

The movie 'ends' with members wondering what will be Hinatazaka's goal after this. Katoshi mentions wanting to perform in every part of Japan, the Captian says that they intend of paving their own path as they go. After this the credits roll and it seems that this is the end, but there is also another scene. Kumi and Miho walk outside after being interviewed for the documentary and they discussed how things will be now that Miho is about to graduate. Watanabe says that she will always remain the greatest ohisama and that her goal is to act as a bridge between the group and other people.

I hope that the mess above is somewhat understandable and might be of use for those interested in watching the documentary, but being unable to do so right now. I would also like to say thanks to people who did a similar summary on Keyakizaka's documentary back in the day. I have always looked up to people who bring the new content to the overseas fans and thanks to you I was finally able to do something like that myself.

As for my personal opinion regarding the movie, I am planning on writing at a bit later, since it's like 4AM over here.

• Winner Winner x 3