1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

How did you discover AKB48?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by arrowisland, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Electron

Electron Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    It was in the end of August 2012, when I just started living in Tokyo. To train myself in Japanese (that I had started less than a year ago), I was watching a late-night show with some AKB's girls (including Paruru). I quickly learnt that they were everywhere. :p I have to say that musically I didn't really like them; sincerely, the music production for some songs wasn't good at all (others were catchy). I continued to watch a lot of shows and dramas with them and gave it a shot at HS/2-Shot events and the Theater (that was funny, they were not accustomed to see swarthy people); that's when I understood way better the appeal of 48G and made Paruru my Kami-oshi.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. pgsc06

pgsc06 Kenkyuusei

I discovered AKB48 after watching the first Majisuka Gakuen. The girls were so interesting in the movie. So i decided to see how they were musically and the rest is history.

3. Husky

Husky Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    gotomoe
    We learned koi suru fortune cookie on my japanese classes :) After this I searched on the internet and find AKBINGO and other shows... at first I thought about it as just a way to learn language, but I've become more and more attracted to 48 groups, so I ended here ;)

4. Doodleboy

Doodleboy Member

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    I had first known about the sub group team dragon which did the dragon ball z Kai second ending theme. Not too long after I saw birdy the mighty, and I liked the second ending theme there. That was performed by another sub group called No sleeves. At this time, I found out these were all members from akb48 but I didn't listen to the main groups songs. A few months later I see the finebros video called "teens react to jpop". I saw heavy rotation in that video and it was not only the only song I liked in that video, but I also really liked the music video itself. That made me an akb48 fan.

5. Sythfia

Sythfia Kenkyuusei

When the first episode of AKB 1ji 59fun aired in 2008. At first I was not really into the whole idol thing, but after watching and noticing their different personalities, I thought "wow this is fun to watch". So afterwards I continued to watch/read more things about them.

6. yudhimepa

yudhimepa Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    i know akb when hebirote was out. i think what with this group. so many of them and with bikini. so i start searching then.

talking about hebirote make me miss yuko dimple :'(

7. eruban

eruban Kenkyuusei

I was just like curious to melody jkt (she was a year above me in same highschool :D). as I watch some talk-show that has jkt as a guest (nakagawa haruka was really attract attention last year) , my friend told me, " if you really [want] into this [grup], should check their sister grup-akb" so I kept that in mind.
    I watched koisuru fortune cookie and that's pretty good. Their current single labrador retriever caught my attention too and i watched some random akbingos subbed episode and I found that interesting.

8. andyJKT48

andyJKT48 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Matsui Jurina
    i just found they in 2011 i look at the magazine why are they so many (?) i watch iiwake maybe pv first t ime

9. anhnguyen

anhnguyen Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yangbingyi
    Through a Hello! Project fan blog back in 2010 (when I was still a Hello! Project fan). They uploaded Heavy Rotation MV to their blog and... bashed AKB48. But soon I realized that it was a super catchy song along with Gomen ne, Summer. The rest is history.

10. riduch

riduch Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    back in 2011, a lot of my friends got starstuck by heavy rotation, the video and the song itself. But back then I only listen to KPOP music, so yeah I only like them early 2015, 4 years after, after I accidentally see gingham check on youtube, and can't go back.....
    all of my friends that introduced me to AKB have stopped liking by the way, now I'm a lone AKB's wota in my inner circle

11. Cxstridert's mikhail

Cxstridert's mikhail Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yabukinako
    uhmm lemme see ... uhmmm...
    i think i will be an aitakatta song release accidentally click by the link on YT and when i surfed on the net together with the morning musume's single way back 2006* (*actually the awakening of K-pop saga started on this year which i confused and have a bias on them)...

but in 2009 ponytail no shushu was very catchy at that time w/ Momusu's release was nanchatte ren'ai contrast to cuteness of J-pop girls that remind me so much and it's keeps me followed their Mv Release... :)

12. Kiri

Kiri Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    岡田奈々 / 손채영
    I've been a fan of japanese pop culture for quite a bit, so i already knew that akb48 was a thing, but i only started to like them when i watched a video by the fine brothers ( Youtubers react to J-Pop ) and i realized that i knew the girl on the video from somewhere ( Oshima Yuko, i knew her from the drama "The reasons i can't find my love" ) . I Got insterested, watched heavy rotation and sayonara crawl several times and the rest is history [hehe]. That was around 6 months ago.

13. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    I've been a fan of Jpop since I was really into Anime back in my school days. I stopped around 2007 and had been out of the loop for most of the time and when I say most of the time, I mean I stray from such interest because of personal reasons. I'd picked up a couple of artists here and there along the way but then I would go back to EDM and other stuff that's non-Asian music related. I'm not sure if I got tired of listening to Jpop or I just switched to other stuff because I'm currently into it and then vice versa. But the fact of the matter is, I still love Jpop. I just didn't had a strong desire like I really did before but recently it's growing back. Like an old flame starting to fire up than ever before. I know it's cheesy but that's the best I can describe it as.

Last year, if I remember correctly (a lot of stuff has happened these past couple of years so bear with me), I watched Saba Doru. A Japanese drama that was something I watched out of curiosity. The summary alone was something that made me feel interested in getting into the drama. Watching throughout the series, I had no idea that AKB48 is a real group, let alone Watarirouka Hashiritai 7 which I just recently found out. Even Nogizaka46, I thought they were just a pretend group for the sake of the drama but I was so wrong. When I look Mayuyu up when I was watching Saba Doru, to my surprised, she is actually a real idol and that whole time I was wondering if she still is, even when I started watching her latest drama, Tatakau! Shoten Girl. I mean, I wondered if she's still an active idol. Which she still is and I'm glad that she is since she's my oshimen. I didn't even know what oshimen meant until later on but yeah, she's my most favorite and probably because of Saba Doru. I thought she was great in that drama, especially when I had no idea she's a member of AKB48 at that time.

I used to listen to music of Morning Musume way back then but I didn't know any of the members and I have forgotten the titles I used to listen to. So yeah, long time ago, I did got into an all-female pop singer group but not as much as I am right now. That's when I decided to start getting into AKB48. This happened after I discovered Perfume on Pandora. I guess their song title "1mm" jumpstarted my old flame of interest on Jpop. So thanks to them, I got into Jpop again. However, when I was getting some info about AKB48, I was so overwhelmed. There are so many members that I didn't know what to do next. I read on another website that watching their variety show, AKBINGO! would be the best thing to start getting to know them. So I started watching from the beginning when AKBINGO first started. Now, I'm not into variety shows and I always think they're ridiculously stupid to watch but AKBINGO is a huge exception. Never had I smiled nonstop and even laugh at the parts I thought were so funny. Never had I felt so emotional at the parts that were so sad or inspirational. Those stuff I never thought that would strike an arrow through my heart. Especially when I recently watched the first two documentaries. "Show Must Go On" made me cry.

There were a lot of stuff to learn about AKB48 and especially their sister groups like SKE48, HKT48, and NMB48. But I tend to focus more on AKB48. I started listening to their music, even the first ones they've made when they first started. What's weird about all this is that I used to keep hearing Koi Suru Fortune Cookie in some of the Youtube videos I watched but I never knew who the group were until I recently found out that it's them. Maybe I was meant to listen to their music or something, I don't know. That's just me. Despite of everything, I think they're for real and for what it's worth, they've been going at it since 2005 and I'm sure impressed at how long they've been going at it. I'm looking forward to watch they have in store for us next year!

14. Kawamoto Chiyo

Kawamoto Chiyo Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kinoshitamomoka
    This was way back in the day. I think I was watching weird Japanese commercials and found out about AKB48's fake member. I was redirected to Heavy Rotation. I was OBSESSED with the song and PV. Shinoka Mariko was my oshi at first, but now I know many more of the girls.

15. Sai77

Sai77 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Random video in youtube snsd vs akb48... my sudden reaction was akb who?!!!!and why are they being compaired with the queens!!, So i searched some videos. Didnt really liked them at first and i think their concept is weird (i like weird stuff though.:hehe:) then i bumped into akbingo and i find them hilarious. Now they made me forgot about the other group :^^;:

16. oscar6262

oscar6262 Kenkyuusei

i was a hardcore kpop fan
    so there is this site Allkpop and they have the jap ver Tokyohive, so one time i click to this site and i saw alot of post about AKB48 (this time they realese Ue Kara Mariko) so i saw the PV and saw more PV from AKB48, and this was so weird for me (not the typical kpop music-style and music videos) but i was so interesed. now im more AKB fan than kpop (doesnt even listen that much to Kpop

17. Milki

Milki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Through Hello!Project. It was right around Kimagure Princess time (October 2009) that my favourite was leaving and I wasn't enjoying their music as much. I then saw the River PV and was really impressed by the video and wanted to know more about the girls and became a fan almost immediately.

18. JadeFlower

JadeFlower Member

Twitter:
    sarahfylxr
    I searched for an Anime like To Aru Kagaku no Railgun and in a Forum stand: watch AKB0048 so I watched. it was awesome and I like the Music. Then I release that they really exist and I started watching AKBingo and hearing all their A-Sides xD
    This happend this year in January :D

Sent with Taptalk

19. Panzeridolspower

Panzeridolspower Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    I discover AKB by the forum from the french tv channel Nolife .
    people post a link for video , i watching is and found this song realy good .
    after that i go watch Majisuka Gakuen i see Matsui Rena in a psychocrazy Yankee , and i wish , know more about she and i discover the 48 ARMY of Japan Idol ;) .
    in fast : i discover AKB because Gekikara is realy badass^^
    sorry for my horrible english i am a new memeber from France i hope its okay .

20. Haxie

Haxie Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Maeda Atsuko
    I was into japanese dramas and I ended up on Saba Doll. It was impossible to not gain my attention for Mayuyu :cute: so I looked her up on wiki48 and found out about AKB48. The rest is history. :D