1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by rka, Apr 30, 2015.

1. rka

rka Senbatsu Stage48 Donor

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  2. AloNeko

AloNeko Member

Hmm. Good points. But we are different, aren't we? I meen there isn't so much bands/groups if we don't different.

Myself I think at almost same at you, I enjoy music, although my musik likegenre was much softer now that what is was...

3. shogun

shogun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    komiyamaharuka
    I feel your pain, bro!

4. Punkish

Punkish Kenkyuusei

Sounds to me like you are bored of AKB in general and the fact that you cant meet the girls makes things worse.

5. otoppoi

otoppoi Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Idol music is a hobby to me. It has been a hobby before AKB, it will continue to be so after AKB. I'll have periods where my interest wanes in my favorite group at the time, and I'll step away from idols for awhile until another group pulls me back in. There may come a day when no group manages to pique my interest and I'm completely removed from idol fandom, but that's to be expected with any hobby.

I've never not considered myself a 'real fan' just because I haven't met my oshimen, and I'm comfortable with supporting her from afar. But, again, I consider this a hobby, a bit of entertaining escapism from RL responsibilities. I do spend a good deal of money each year, buying releases, but the moment AKB is no longer 'fun' for me, I will swiftly and quietly bow out, as I have done in the past, and those discretionary funds will simply go to whatever new hobby takes its place.

6. ripete

ripete Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    I enjoy reading about people's experiences. It gives me a chance to live through them. As an older fan, I doubt very much that I would go to handshakes and two-shots (wouldn't want to be that old guy in the crowd), tho I might attend a concert as long as it wasn't a stadium show. I have been fortunate enough to get to all 3 of their appearances here in the US. But I have never seen my oshi, and even if I was in Japan it probably wouldn't happen since she is in Jakarta. So while I can't be a huge (and lucky) fan,i still enjoy being an online fan. Sometimes that's all you can do.

7. trxsh

trxsh Member

Oh god, the feels. This is a great topic to discuss I think.
    I totally see where you're coming from but luckily I tend to see things a little differently or I'd be drowning in feels all day :XD:
    I don't see myself as missing out on what it means to be a real fan because of not being able to meet my oshi but I can see why someone might feel that way since the entire concept was built on "idols you can meet". Though I think something to consider is that, in my opinion, it has grown to something much bigger and as awesome as handshakes are, to an extent it is sometimes an illusion/delusion of intimacy anyways. That mostly applies if you have a more popular oshi. These girls are good at creating that I think, lol (which is great and they put out a massive amount of effort that I respect endlessly). Please take no offense those who truly have a close relationship with their oshi (maybe one of these people can comment on this but I'm basically also saying this to making myself feel better, ha. :) )

That said I do wish I could go to events and meet my oshi just for the sake of meeting my oshi as a fan ^^. Since I cannot do so I just don't dwell on it too much.
    btw In the first few pages of the AKB experiences thread there are some reports from some female Sae fans back in the Chocolove days and good god, I just cannot with those oshi feels :XD:
    I simply think of it as following any other music group instead, one that also comes with mountains of tv shows, daily LODs, various social media, adorable idol costumes, antics, drama, and just a crapload of content in general- all of which I enjoy and can do so as a foreign fan (while learning a bit of Japanese as a third language kind of against my will, to me that's kinda neat) And btw I seriously love the music :^^;: from what people say sometimes some people seem to hate it lol but I love idol pop and 48g is really versatile in genre too. As long as I enjoy the music I think I will continue to enjoy being a fan.
    Well I guess that is my wall of text, TL;DR I am not very devastated that I have never met my oshimen (although I wish I could) because I get a lot of enjoyment from my fandom otherwise.

8. Nieru

Nieru Kenkyuusei

I'm but a 1 year old fan and yes, every time I hear about handshake event stories, or when they visit HK or Taiwan etc, I would feel kind of like I am missing out. To me, every contact with AKB so far has been through a computer screen, whether it's tv shows or LOD.

However, I think I have fun watching and learning about them (the mixes, the different personalities, the historical moments etc).
    The first time (and the only time) I met someone in real life who's also into AKB I was so excited and we chatted for long times while everyone else would just be lost in our conversation.

As well, I started off watching AKBingo with subs and completely relying on them, to now where I am comfortable watching it in raw and can, as little as it may be, help translate stuff for the community.

I'm a student with no free time and no budget to just casually fly to Japan to meet them, but I guess that would be a large goal for me that I have not given up yet. One day it's gonna happen and I want to be fully prepared for that so in the meantime, I keep myself up to date with their news and improve my Japanese.

9. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

I think you're reaching what's probably a normal phase for most of us AKB fans. To be honest, I got into the group because I loved the music, and especially the stages, and there's not much of that for me anymore. I stick with the group because of the girls, and because I still enjoy the music NMB puts out. But yeah, I'm tired of the predictable release schedule and I'm also jaded about elections/janken because it's been so long since I started following the group and on top of that my oshi graduated (I did get to meet her, but it was just a rather awkward one time experience) I still enjoy the group, but in a different way, kind of like actually an outsider.

ETA: Actually I think it's possible to keep enjoying the group in a more low key way after the honeymoon period has expired. I can't even remember the last time I watched an LOD, but there are other things like variety that I still enjoy. I don't know if I should be one to talk though, my only interest in AKB right now is Yui, other than that I'm more of a Nogizaka46 fan who also follows NMB somewhat closely.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  10. rscl

rscl Kenkyuusei

I guess it's more difficult to see yourself as a hardcore fan when you're living outside Japan. But are the differences really that devastating?
    Of course everyone wants to see or meet their favorite members at least once - but it's not like the majority of the Japanese fans spend their entire income on handshake events and attend every concert.
    A foreign fan could as easily as someone working in Japan spend a vacation experiencing a concert and a handshake event, with the additional cost of traveling (which is quite cheap actually).
    It seems to me the only difficult thing would be a theatre show (overseas application appear difficult if working at all).

Overall, I think it depends on your mindset as to what type of fan you want to be.
    There are ways to enjoy AKB48 without being in the middle of it. I'm sure some people just simply enjoy listening to their music, some might feel rejuvenated seeing them smile and having fun at variety shows and other events.

Personally I'm more into seeing their ridiculous "characters" messing about and smiling during variety shows. Occasionally there's some great jpop involved too I like listening to - often with great music videos and cute girls.
    Obviously I like ogling at their gravure like a perv too.
    :blush:

11. Nieru

Nieru Kenkyuusei

That may not be the case depending where you are in the world...

12. rscl

rscl Kenkyuusei

I wrote my reply with rka in mind who already stated he lives and works full-time in Germany.

Mayhaps we can discuss third world problems elsewhere?

13. technosworld

technosworld Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    furuhatanao
    I can definitely understand your frustration. I've sent a gift to my oshi, but that's about it. I do wonder how many Japanese AKB fans never actually get to go to concerts or handshake events either...it may be more than we know. Not everyone has the means to travel to the different cities even if it seems easy (which is why they are putting groups everywhere, lol).

I've been to Japan 3 times in the past 8 years...the first two times I wasn't even aware of AKB's existence! The third time, I stopped into the Cafe and store and bought some things, but I was with a friend who was not into it at all, so I couldn't do much.

I definitely plan to go back this year or next year....and I really wish I could see Takamina before she graduates, but not sure if I can make it happen.

One thing about Sae-chan, I'm pretty sure she's that bright, cheerful personality in "real life", though some of the other members probably not as much.

14. うぃむ33

うぃむ33 Kenkyuusei

I think you sound burned out. That sounds like the problem you are describing, but it is different for everyone. I'm also a foreign fan, I've been a fan since the beginning, and yet I love them even more now then I did then. I also have never gone to a handshake, even when I lived in Japan. I guess I'm not a super wota, or maybe I was just embarrassed with my poor Japanese at the time, so I didn't go. But I still love them and support them as much as possible. I enjoy reading their blogs/755s, I enjoy watching them in TV shows/variety, and I really really love their music. I guess the fact that I'm studying Japanese so much now also helps me to want to learn from them too. But everyone is different.

Look, some people love something so much they will never get tired of it. Others love something, but once it gets a little old they start to get tired, or bored, or a little burned out. Neither is worse than the other. It just seems like you are the latter. Maybe you can take a break from AKB for the 2 or so months between each single, and then come back for the ~1 month that the single is new. But even if you do, you might find out that the conversations in this forum are the same every time :XD:. But it really depends on what makes you a fan? Is it just Sae? Or is it the variety shows? Or maybe the music? If it's just Sae, then maybe you will leave after she graduates. But if its the variety shows, music, other members, Japan, ... you can probably stay around and still enjoy them a lot!

It also depends on whether you still like them enough to want to know about new members or not. If you find a new member you like, you can be even more interested and it will feel really fresh. I'm sure lots of Acchan-oshi's left the fandom after she graduated. But I knew after she was gone I'd be a Jurina oshi. And once Jurina graduates I'll find a new oshi. I'm really interested in Miion and Naanya, and they are both relatively new. Also, some of team8 has just piqued my interest in the last couple months. SKE just got a 7th gen and it will be interesting to see who stands out for me. And not only that, NGT will come this fall and that is an entirely new group to start liking, with new music, variety, and members! Even though I only have one oshi-men, I still follow and support many different members! Maybe since Sae might graduate soon (just my speculation because of her age), you can look to find new members you like? Not oshi-henning, but just to support a ni-oshi or san-oshi?

Even though I'm a foreign fan, I still feel like a full member of the community!

15. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    I agree with Uimu and Garnetjester (the most veteran fan of us all??? wow 2007), it looks like you entered a fan phase where you slowed down your pace and stepped back in order to look back at what happened those past few years. That was somehow touching lol. I saw a little bit of myself in this post. But not everything.

First of all, i don't believe in the "true" fans concept, simply because my conception of being a fan heavily feature being selfless. During Sousenkyo, i am glad that i have participated by casting votes even though she will probably never heard of me casting 50 votes. During handshakes, i don't especially want her to remember my name; what i want is to convey my feelings to her. I always, always have a strong feeling of gratitude to those who improve our fandom experience through subbing content, organizing fan project, or just sharing their experience. That makes them good fan. But in no way it makes them better fans (or rather, to be humble about it is very much appreciated).

As foreign fans we have a lot in commons : we started our fandom through variety show picked up on media website, live in a place where they are completely unknown (does that makes us hipster? hehe). I began around the same time as you. It's true i did went to see members i like in handshake and concert, and it was truly a bliss. But to be honest it hasn't changed my everyday fandom, which is 100% done in front of my computer.

I saw many different kind of fans. A japanese fan who like the group but never went to handshake (he doesn't want to break this "idol" image by seeing them), a foreign fan who spent thousands of dollars for Sousenkyo even though he never met his oshimen. Fans who spam twitter writting what goes through their mind about idols, and huge subs contributor who never ever crossed an AKB forum/social network once. There's always a fandom that suit your taste.

About your burn out, i think we need to go deeper in the thought? We have started the same period, but i don't feel (yet) this feeling of burn. I like to look back at what AKB used to be (Acchan era) but not because it was better, but because i like the feeling of nostalgia. My guess is that it comes from your oshimen. Miyazawa Sae has gone through almost 90% of her idol career and is mostly going to graduate after finding a successor in SKE. On the other hand, mine is plenty in age to pursue her path in the next few years. She is not a rookie anymore, but she can look ahead.

Are you feeling the burn out because you feel like it is the end of the road soon? If that's the case, just enjoy it to the fullest before "moving on". It is called the beautiful sadness, where you feel sad to part ways but you feel happy at the same time because it actually happened. The good memories.

I don't have goals as a fan; i will like my oshimen wherever she is until she graduate. When the HKT i know will graduate, i will surely graduate too. Because it won't be the AKB group i use to know. But we don't need goals, rules, or anything to enjoy our fandom. To be honest to be a complete fan through handshake and concert (to be like everyone else) never crossed my mind. I went in japan because concert looked great live and i was right ^^.

Even though being a fan on your own is possible, i think it is a waste to not share with people who have the same interest. That's why i'm here. To be complete as a fan? Best way is share with others and let yourself be completed by other's thoughts. My view on some members changed when i heard/read about people's post.

16. Crossheart

Crossheart Member

Oshimen:
    Amaki Sally
    Twitter:
    rom_ch22
    Just saying, i haven't give up on meeting any member someday!! Going to Japan at least once time is still on my life plans.
    My only remorse as today, it's that i really want to have more official goods... but i'm working on fixing that too!!!

17. Sakuraism

Sakuraism Member Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    andilee1989
    Wow, a topic that's actually worth talking about.

I'd like to share a little of my perspective from someone who regularly attends the events.

I always hate the talk of the definition of a "real" fan. There are just too many different forms of being a fan. Enjoying the music, following the girls, attending events etc etc... I have plenty of fan friends who have never met with their oshi or just can't attend regularly. Somewhere in the back of my head I know they see me as someone more "superior" than them in term of this fandom but not once do I see them as a lesser fans because of it. It wasn't till recent years that I got my feet wet being involved with all the events and what not so I've clearly experienced both phase of the fandom, going from never seeing your oshis for the longest time and now seeing your oshis every other weekend. Do I think I'm a bigger fan now than before? Yes and No. Yes, because I do spend a lot more energy going from places to places for events, and definitely ALOT more financially involved. But intern of time spent and my interests in the girls? probably not much difference at all.

Now would I be able to go back supporting the girls the same way as I did before from the back lines? Probably not. After getting the taste of being able to talk to the girls directly about something recent they just did or said on shows or w.e, it's quite hard for me to imagine taking all that away from me. Surely I survived many yrs without it, but that's pretty much same with everything. I remember I used to think data on phone wasn't a neccessity at all but after getting it I can't imagine my life without it lol. Regardless that's why I always encourage everyone I know to never give up seeing your oshis in person even just once. You may or may not enjoy the whole HS thing, but without experiencing it u will never noe. It's definitely an eye opener.

It's interesting @rka brought up how he felt a little incomplete reading the experience thread. I always knew by writing my experiences in that thread works like a double edge sword. There are people who genuinely enjoys reading them and live through the experiences that's written. At the same time you have people who read them and get all sort of different feelings like , being "incomplete", feeling like a "lesser" fan. Sometimes these feelings are then directed to the people who write these experience in a negative way. Now for whatever reason. we're the "show-offs", "douchebags" or the guy that's on the high horse. Sadly over time it drives people away to write them.
    There are many HS reports out there in the Jpnese community but there's only so many in English and It's unfortunately this happens.

As the talk of HS are sometimes illusions of intimacy mentioned by @trxsh. I do have to agree to some extent. These girls see so many random people on the daily basis at these events it would be a lil absurd to think they actually have some kind of connection with all of them. Even among the regulars, I would say there are just some fans they don't really enjoy very much seeing at all.
    That being said I do believe you can established a good connection with a member to certain extent, even the popular ones. At the end of the day only you know where you stand in the "relationship" with your oshis. Which sadly doesn't say a lot as there are many dellusional fans lol.

18. mieniem

mieniem Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kuramochiasuka
    I don't really know how to respond to a thread like this, i've never met my oshi and since so much time has passed even if did get lucky and just happened to bump into her the next few weeks, the magic would probably not be there and i just wouldn't be all that excited as i would have been years ago. I mean now i more of a DD and i get to lament over having never have met many of the idols i wish i could have met. Even my status as a fan has changed from an AKB fan to AKB/SKE fan to different variations with the sister group fan to just an SKE fan with a bit of interest in HKT and Nogizaka. But I don't quit being a fan because i rather focus on the positive effects, i worked on my dreams and SKE has been a reason that i've been able to take a break from life and get to enjoy real life, I got make new goals and worked hard to achieve them. I can have fun looking at the new members and see if they can charm me even better that the members i fell for before. I do think back than the groups were great, but even though they are quite different now i still think the group is great. There have been times i thought of moving as a fan, but if i didn't want to stop being a fan i don't see why i would have to quit. But even still though there are fans that get to meet the girls go to their show have fun at a concert things which are not available for me to do i never thought of myself as less of a fan. Cause whether it's SKE or AKB or NMB or HKT there will be some much things a fan can do that no fan can ever become the ultimate fan and trying to go through that treasure trove is much of the fun a fan gets to go through.

19. Puni

Puni Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Twitter:
    puni_2k
    Oh the bane of being a foreign fan.

We hardly get to meet our Oshis, pay a premium on CDs or other Merchandise and if that isn't enough there's also the language barrier.
    We are a crazy bunch of people.

The following lines are not only meant as an reply to the OP but to anybody that feels the same:

I admit that it can be frustrating if you read the fan reports about how awesome the theatre performances, concerts or meet-ups are while never attending one. You're missing out the main concept of the group, that is "Idols you can meet".
    We all have our reasons why we got attracted by the fandom in the first place. And I find it pretty natural that you initial reasons might disappear or change for sticking to it.
    Also I don't think that being a fan is defined by the amount of time or money you spend, neither if you have a regular chance to meet the object of your worship. It's about the point that you can openly admit that you like something.
    Let's face it, even among the Japanese fans there are people that cannot afford to meet the girls (financial situations, living in the countryside...). Does that make you a less fan? Not in my opinion. You still follow her activities, support her by buying stuff (even at a premium) and spreading information about her.
    If that doesn't define being a fan I don't know what else does.

Time for me to be a bit of an S.

Last warning, stop here.

OK, don't tell me that I haven't warned you, you little M.
    After being into my third year of the fandom I finally get the chance to meet my Oshi up-close. I won 2-Shot tickets for May 30th. I already had planned to visit Japan this year (been 5 years since my last visit) and rescheduled my trip after winning the tickets.
    So I'm not only going to meet my Oshi but maybe also yours, and yours and yours too.

I still have to wait 4,5 weeks until then but every time I think about it it makes me as exited as a child the day before Christmas Eve.

20. honeyNUT

honeyNUT Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemiyuki
    Twitter:
    satominameme
    I really feel the pain.... I mean most of you guys are like 25 and older so if you have money you can arrange a trip to japan and meet them for barely 10 seconds but i'm just a student and i still have 3-4 years until i can arrange such things....... I really wanna be fished by milky soo baddd:(