1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Single Keyakizaka46 7th [Ambivalent] (2018/08/15)

Discussion in 'Sakurazaka46 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Navicon46

Navicon46 Kenkyuusei

I just gave the single a full listen (I usually like to wait until a single is released before I give it my full attention) and I actually really like it. I like it morw than Kaze ni or Garasu. Happy Aura is definitely my favorite but I like all the other songs with Im Out probably being my least favorite.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CutePanda

CutePanda Next Girls

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Maybe it's the summer heat. Maybe it's the long-predicted overall decline of the idol realm. Maybe it's just songs that don't happen to suit the public. I found Nogi's Jikochuu forgettable, rescued by the idol-worship MV. I personally do like Ambivalent. But my taste is surely far from that of the average Japanese CD-buyer. In any case, popularity (with them or with me) is no sure guide to quality.

I'd love to see an analysis that could suggest if it's a decline in purchases by idol fans, a decline in purchases by the general public, or both. Are handshake sales still down? As for the general public, this song's lyrics are not as sure and strong and declarative and aggressive as the other rock-ish songs like Fukyouwaon, Garasu, SaiMajo. It's like a bit of a declaration of defeat by Hirate, but still in her victorious style...up to a point. She does need other people.

I've been listening to the single over and over and always feel a lift when Ambivalent comes round. And Student Dance, actually. Room 302 is the only song I wish was over before it's halfway through. Happy Aura is good. I'm Out is good. Unrequited Love in the Music Room always brings a smile to my face. I've never been a fan of Zuumin's style or the kind of music she sings, but Until Sunrise is the best she's done, for me.

With all the chaos over the past year, the absence of the centre without really replacing her as a focus of attention (or is that Neru?), and now the loss of a very popular member who is also recognized as the best singer, I could look at this as an acceptable result in the circumstances. But I don't. This seems serious to me. I wonder if the release of Techi's film will have much impact on late sales. And I'm sorry, but I do take a bit of comfort from the fact that Keyaki is only down by 36,000 (about 5%). Nogi's first day was down by 89,000 (about 10%). Both of these are pretty bad when you're used to increases of 20% or more (Keyaki). Nogi's first actual decline was its 18th single Nigemizu, and it has been bouncing up and down on first days since then...but steadily climbing in total eventual sales. (Stage48 Oricon thread).

It occurred to me that if it really is the beginning of a decline -- either for all idol groups or just for Keyaki -- then Sony has put itself in a difficult position by (a) moving Hiragana toward being a separate group, and (b) increasing the number of mouths to feed in every group.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Konno A.

Konno A. Future Girls

Oshimen:
    ichikawamiori
    listened to the whole thing. It's not a horrible single, but I really only liked that 302-song and the A-side. The rest are just ok to me. Happy Aura isn't as good as I remembered sadly lol.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    I was expecting less than 600k on Oricon first day after what we just saw with the Billboard Japan/Soundscan numbers.

Personally, this isn't Keyaki's strongest single. I'm still not fond of Ambivalent itself. It just doesn't sound as 'catchy' as Glass wo Ware! or Fukyouwaon was. And Student Dance? Don't get me into it, because it really sounded awkward...

And I do have to agree with what @ukifune said - quantity (popularity) ≠ quality.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    enjoyable showroom. With Zuumin gone, i think it's time for Koike to step up in the keyakizaka scheme!

her voice is just too cute, and dialect is sealing the deal

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  7. biboloxo

biboloxo Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    Nogi's summer singles usually had/have lower sales than other singles in the same year, so no need to worry about them. For Keya, if you look at a positive perspective, it may be the same thing as Nogi. If not, in a worse case, it means that their momentum is gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. plus1plus1

plus1plus1 Kenkyuusei

If I'm not mistaken Nogizaka reduced the number of handshake slots. Keyaki's sales dropped after adding more slots. So, Nogi expected a drop and Keyaki did not.

My guess is that Keyaki popularity is actually dropping. The top five sellers had slower sales than normal (except for Nanako) and the five most unpopular members of Kanji had sharp drops in sales. The best explanation is that fans that usually support the entire group did not buy this single. Another indicator is that the Kanji arena tour sales were slow this time.

Song quality likely has little to do with first day sales but I suppose if the rest of the week is also low then maybe people did not like the songs.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Jsprite

Jsprite Future Girls

At the end of the day, "good" music (subjectively speaking) moves people to buy the CDs, aside from HS tickets. "Bad" music would have the opposite effect. I love Keya, but let's all be honest here, the 7th single overall isn't as good as Fukyouwaon, Futari, or Saimajo. Most fans were kinda expecting something like that for the 7th (I sure was).
    So, there is always the 8th single...

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. chrissirhc

chrissirhc Member

Oshimen:
    yamaguchimaho
    aren't two strong sellers handshake sellers missing? one on hiatus the other just graduated. if every group sees a sales drop in the summer, i guess we should expect with kanji too. 600,000+ plus on day one for a still very young group is still nothing to be ashamed of.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. plus1plus1

plus1plus1 Kenkyuusei

Only strong sellers missing are Imaizumi, Hirate, and Kageyama for Gana. There were enough new slots to cover the missing ones though. Only Kanji's handshake sales dropped. Hiragana's went up.

600k is good. I expected a bit of a dip. I don't think it's a disaster but the response from Japanese fans seems panicky.

I hope Kanji gets 15 members for 2nd gen. But I only really care about Gana independence at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. chrissirhc

chrissirhc Member

Oshimen:
    yamaguchimaho
    well new slots are not a known quantity because they've never actually been sold. i wasn't counting Hirate because she wasn't part of the last couple handshake sales. Is Mona not a good seller?

13. ariadne32391

ariadne32391 Member

Oshimen:
    watanaberika
    Mona doesn't seem like a good seller or at least not part of the top sellers of Kanji. She's mid-level at best.

14. plus1plus1

plus1plus1 Kenkyuusei

She was not notably strong but not the worse either. And Aoi was very low. So, only those three really matter.

You're right just trying to be thorough.

15. glsone

glsone Member

She was steadily getting worse. Started out very strong and then ended middle of the pack. She still sold out though so it doesn't matter that much.

• Like Like x 2
  16. tmfce

tmfce Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Okamura Minami
    Aoi is not “very low”. She’s a mid level Kanji.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. plus1plus1

plus1plus1 Kenkyuusei

Around mid you're right. I was mistaken. Still not a significant loss though considering 2nd gen.

18. RedBug

RedBug Member

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Zuumin's new (and last) solo is 5-star for me :cry2:

Great song, great vocal and relatable, beautiful lyrics.

For me:
    1. Zuumin
    2. Ambivalent
    3. Happy Aura = Pon-Habu
    The rest haven't grown that much

19. tmfce

tmfce Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Okamura Minami
    Hi ga Noboru Made > Ambivalent > I'm Out > Ongaku Shitsu ni Kataomoi > 302-Goshitsu > Student Dance > Happy Aura

Don't like the last two, I only rate Student Dance higher than Happy Aura because I found the music video interesting at the very least.

20. ZenigameX

ZenigameX Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanimarika
    2nd day sales: 118,984 (721,027)

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1