1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Movie / DVD Million ga ippai! AKB48 MV Collection 13/09/11

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by HoneyRoastedPeanuts, Jul 13, 2013.

1. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

HoneyRoastedPeanuts Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Twitter:
    hrp919
    AKB48 Music Video Collection
    Million ga ippai! ミリオンがいっぱい~AKB48ミュージックビデオ集~
    Release 2013/09/11

The third DVD collection release of AKB48 music videos, including 70 songs and 85 different versions.

http://www.akb48-dvdcatalog.com/mvc2013/

SPECIAL BOX (DVD + BluRay) DVD ¥ 11,600 / Blu-Ray ¥ 13,600

Type A (DVD + BluRay) DVD ¥ 5,800 / Blu-Ray ¥ 6,800

identical to discs 1-3 of special box

Type B (DVD + BluRay) DVD ¥ 5,800 / Blu-Ray ¥ 6,800

identical to discs 4-6 of special box

2. Chrissel

Chrissel Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Sugiyama Aika
    Twitter:
    kurisuuu48
    Mmh, I guess I should start saving some money... :D

3. obakechan

obakechan Kenkyuusei

This just seems like a waste of money...when all of the PVs can be viewed online

4. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    Only very few of these videos are available for watching online in their entirety.

This release collects all music videos from all types of the last eleven singles and all the Team Surprise singles, so it's a pretty nice thing to own.

5. jigs

jigs Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    JigsAlice
    ^
    ^ Think of it as a album version of MVs. It is convenient to have them all in one collection and in Full HD

Also as mentioned many of these are not on AKBs channel.

6. obakechan

obakechan Kenkyuusei

Yea it is good to have them all in one collection, and the HD is nice. The thing that I have the problem with is the price that they're charging for it...and overcharging for concerts :fp:

7. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    Seibu Dome, Super Arena, Tokyo Dome... they've all been pretty much the same price. You get seven discs full of content and hours of behind the scenes footage plus a large photobook. That's pretty reasonable, no?

Seriously guys. These days Stage48 is THE place to go to... for negativity. AKB makes a release - everyone's first action of the day is to find something to moan about. I'm already looking forward to the "Are AKBs releases too expensive?" thread in addition to the "Why isn't AKB singing live?" one. :fp:

8. Under The Ribbon

Under The Ribbon Member

I can see myself getting the blu-ray ver. just so I can enjoy them in HD, and it's nice that the super-long ones like So Long! and GIVE ME FIVE are included. Hashire Penguin MV is a nice inclusion because I didn't buy Request Hour 2013. A bit surprised Gingham Check only has 1 version though. [edit: didn't see it listed on disc 6, sry :p ]

But I agree, the price is quite high if it doesn't come with something besides the MVs.

[ADD] I get how it must be frustrating to deal with posters like us that seem to do nothing but complain. Obviously no one's forcing us to buy anything, so we should just buy and enjoy what we can afford instead of crying about it. That doesn't change the fact that AKB stuff are crazy expensive compared to other media released in the same format.

When I look at my blu-ray collection, I can see my Lord of the Rings collection packaged in a shiny gold box, which cost me $40.00 for 6 blu-ray discs and 9 DVDs of special features. And then there's my AKB collection. Tokyo Dome which cost me roughly $200.00 for 7 blu-rays plus photos and a photobook, Yukirin's 2nd Solo Live for $50.00 for 1 blu-ray disc and a photo, etc... I'm not even counting the shipping cost.

Now, I only buy things I really want, and I wouldn't have bought them to begin with if I didn't feel the prices were justified for me personally. But when you look at the prices, you can't ignore how ridiculously expensive they are compared to blu-rays of other contents.

9. Li Li

Li Li Kenkyuusei

^Gingham is on disc 4 and disc 6, so I'd say that is both versions.

10. sdn48oshi

sdn48oshi Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    tanoyuka
    WHAT. Is this a mistranslation?

11. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    Of course not. Take a look at the track list. There's different version to some of the songs.

12. sdn48oshi

sdn48oshi Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    tanoyuka
    Did I misunderstand what it says? I was under the impression that they were saying that there were 85 different versions of the DVDs.
    I'm guessing that if I'm wrong, they actually meant 85 different versions of songs.

13. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    Good lord, of course not. They'd hardly be allowed to pull something like that. There's various versions to different PVs, such as the proper PV to "Gingham Check" and the Takahashi-directed, story-driven one.

14. upsidown

upsidown Kenkyuusei

What do you suppose the "coming soon" videos are? I doubt they'll put Fortune Cookie vids on there so soon after it's release. More Team Surprise MVs? Something new to entice buyers?

15. ithebigc

ithebigc Stage48 Admin Retired Staff

Twitter:
    ithebigc
    It's just simply a matter of American media versus Japanese media; AKS is not charging extra, their stuff is quite standard pricing as far as the Japanese market is concerned. As an American, I'd gotten used to our cheap pricing for everything - we have cheaper music ($15 for album, compared to $15 for a single), cheaper games ($60 vs 8000-9000 yen), cheaper movies ($20, maybe less, versus 3000 yen +)- everything is cheaper. Not to mention all the deals we have frequently on Amazon or during special holidays like Black Friday. But our stuff is priced to our standard of living, while their media is priced to the Japanese standard of living. For someone living in Japan, these sets probably don't seem as expensive as they are to us. If anything, you can blame Japanese DVDs/Blu-rays for being so expensive; that same Lord of the Rings set you mentioned with Japanese subtitles will probably cost them just as much as your Tokyo Dome set did. [puke] As shady as some of their decisions are(*cough*Rinji Soukai Blu-rays*cough*), this one, and many others, are simply "normal" for them in Japan.

16. wahoho

wahoho Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shiromamiru
    Im happy their going to release a bluray version. Definitely will be buying that one.

17. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    You're comparing the recommended retail price of a Japanese DVD box set with bargain-priced media you got in the US. 40 dollars isn't the recommended price for the "Lord of the Rings" box set. It's $ 119,98. In Japan, the price for that set is at ¥ 28,350.

Some products to compare:

JOHNNY's World no Kanshasai in Tokyo Dome DVD (2 discs) 5,800 Yen
    Shingeki no Kyojin Vol. 1 Bluray (1 disc + manga) 6,300 Yen
    Macross F Blu-Ray Box (5 discs + CD + book + photobook) 33,600 Yen
    Kara no Kyoukai Limited Edition Blu-Ray Disc Box (8 discs + book) 52,500 Yen

The demand for media simply isn't as high as in the US, since most "normal" people don't spend a lot of time on hobbies. In the US, everyone wants to OWN and HAVE things, so people buy everything and anything that gets thrown on the market. Everyone needs to have the season box set of the newest TV series or the special deluxe edition of that movie they saw at the theater and didn't even particularly like. In many Western countries it's a standard to own things and show off your collection of whatever you're into.

In Japan you don't really have that kind of hoarder mentality. Most people will just go "Yeah, I'll watch it at some point" or "I guess I'll go rent it when I see it at the store". Why buy a hugely expensive set of a movie and have it stand around in your room if you've already rented it and watched it once, right?

You'll have a hard time finding people who are even remotely interested in watching disc after disc of supplementary material to a movie like outtakes, making ofs and the like. Most are going to consider that an excessive luxury and kind of a sad waste of time. A lot of people don't even sit down to watch movies at home all that much.
    Take a look at the top-selling DVDs at Amazon Japan and you'll see that it's typically products for the otaku crowd that do well. Anime, Johnny's concerts, AKB and the like. They're the kind of people that drop money on stuff to actually own it. Actual Hollywood movies topping the charts is a rarity.

DVDs of recent movies are considerably cheap, but if you're looking for Japan-produced DVDs of concerts and especially anime, you'll have to be willing to pay for your hobby. :^^;: Luckily I'm not into anime.

18. Josh

Josh Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    I think it is totally worth it's price, considering the huge amount of content. Unless for someone who bought all types of every single (so that basically has all the MVs, but in a terribly more expensive way), I think it's more than worth it. Of course there's often a way to find those videos online (often with crappy quality, except the few ones on the AKB YT channel), but in my opinion, it's a lot better to have them all together on one dvd/blu-ray, in HD.

And it's 10% off on cdjapan. Same thing for the Group Rinji Soukai. [party]

19. lilypie

lilypie Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kodamaharuka
    My WALLET :cry: ~

But it's tears of joy~ I hope XD!

Definitely getting this though still not sure about the Rinji Soukai one, that one's just too much damage on my wallet along with this one... :x

[shock] Where'd you get such a good deal? -wants-

20. jigs

jigs Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    JigsAlice
    It is all about the market. In japan people are willing to pay those prices and as such they are pretty standard as far a pricing goes for that region

If you go to amazon.com and look up Clannad (A very popular anime that was licensed in the U.S.), the U.S. licensed blu-ray comes up for 89.99 dollars retail. Go to amazon.jp for the Japanese version and it is 62,580 yen for the same thing (except in box style region specific packaging)

Different markets sell things at different rates because that is what the consumer generally pays for them.

Many anime companies avoid the U.S. market because as seen from above they need to sell their product at not only a lower price but the market is much smaller. Most anime in the U.S. is acquired through other means and the companies know that. So they simply skip that market or only do really big releases for it. Usually companies will license anime in the U.S. or other markets only after they recoup the costs of the series through sales in the domestic market. (And if your wondering yes an anime series is very expensive to produce)

The idol market is even smaller then the anime market for the U.S. so pricing in any region outside Japan is irrelevant if that makes sense.

AKB will sell their content priced for the Japanese market. Might seem expensive compared to the U.S. or other places but those markets don't matter much.

We as fans will operate according to the Japanese market. That is simply how it goes.