1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Most Underrated & Overrated song?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by raglandl2003, Aug 2, 2019.

1. raglandl2003

raglandl2003 Kenkyuusei

In your opinion, in the 48 groups, out of every single song on their singles and albums, what is the most underrated + overrated song you've heard?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. Ririe

Ririe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nagatomo Ayami
    Most overrated got to be Koisuru Fortune Cookie. I still don't get the hype around that song.

There are so many underrated songs IMO because I usually love the ones no one have ever heard about... So, without digging to far, I will say Bokutachi wa Tatakawanai really didn't receive the love it deserved.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. sakusakukamen

sakusakukamen Member

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    The most overrated: Koisuru Fortune Cookie
    What the hell with this stupid song? How can this song be the iconic song of 48G (along side with Hebirote & 365nichi)?

The most underrated song: Gingham Check
    This song was really idolish, catchy, beat, and actually has the best MV in 48 Group history.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. patapataful

patapataful Upcoming Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Twitter:
    patapataful
    most overrated song: 365nichi no Kamihikouki I don't get the hype for this song... and Koisuru Fortune Cookie is for my taste 5/10 too.
    Melon Juice of HKT48 isn't my cup of tea too. I don't like the style...
    NMB has Bokura no Eureka and Warota people... not my taste at all.

Underrated song: well I guess there are a few:
    Virgin love, Romance, Irane Kaze wa Fuiteru Heart Ereki Kokoro no Placard Shoot Sign

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. xiumitty

xiumitty Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    BNK48
    I really like 野菜シスターズ (Sisters of Vegetables), and one that I can't remember the title of--
    I don't know which is the most overrated in my opinion.

edit: i just remembered which song it was! Kimi Dake ni Chu! Chu! Chu!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. iainus

iainus Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Sakaki Miyu
    Yeah, I also have to go with Koisuru Fortune Cookie. Don't get me wrong, I liked it the first 100 times I heard it - after that it just really started to grate. And boy have they battered us over the head with that song for the last six years. My one caveat: I do still like the Iwasa Misaki enka version.

Underrated? Every song from the stage album recordings. Especially Team A's. But I'm biased because that is my absolute favourite AKB stuff. Like if I had to do a top 10 AKB songs, all of them would be from those albums. And maybe half of those would be from Renai Kinshi Jourei (A5).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Haruka Suzuki

Haruka Suzuki Member

Oshimen:
    Isogai Kanon
    one of the most underrated songs has to be Dareka no Mimi (Team KII, Ikinari Punchline). I swear if this song was a 46G song everyone would worship the heck out of it by now lol.
    Also I absolute adore Tsubasa wa Iranai and Negaigoto no Mochigusare

I think many of the old "golden" AKB songs are overrated

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. sakurappu

sakurappu Next Girls

Oshimen:
    idol!Sayaka ✈️ singer!Sayaka
    Twitter:
    sakurappu_
    My answer from this thread:

9. Dragonkiller12012

Dragonkiller12012 Kenkyuusei

Overrated: 365nichi no Kamihikouki. A forgettable track that definitely had a much longer lifespan with listeners thanks to the popularity of the drama it was featured in.
    Underrated: Gingham Check. An amazing song with an even more amazing music video that gets out-shadowed by Heavy Rotation every time just because Heavy Rotation came first and is equally awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ForrestFuller

ForrestFuller Senbatsu

Glad to see people are putting Gingham Check here (How that song doesn't get more love is beyond me).

Underrated
    Kaze wa Fuiteru
    Gingham Check
    Gondola Lift

Overrated
    Bokutachi wa Tatakawanai (This and NwM should NEVER be compared to the Masterpiece that was UZA)
    Kondo Koso Ectasy (Why people like this song is beyond me)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Asai 7mi

Asai 7mi Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Asai Nanami
    Twitter:
    pyokkopyokko
    Underrated
    Neko Allergy
    Position
    Ima Para

Overrated(real overrated)
    Heavy Rotation
    Koisuru Fortune Cookie

• Like Like x 1
  12. JPN48

JPN48 Member

Oshimen:
    小栗有以
    Just from what I can think out of my head right now:

Overrated: Flying Get
    Underrated: Kimi wa Melody

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. idoltrash

idoltrash Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Tomomi Itano
    Twitter:
    idolcomputer
    overrated: sorry koisuru (BUT I had to own the type b? tomochin's graduation coupling song and album cover)

underrated: too many but
    manatsu no sounds good!
    skirt hirari
    uza
    iiwake maybe
    Kimi WA melody

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MondyofAus

MondyofAus Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yokoyamayuiteam8
    Most overrated: Koisuru Fortune Cookie

Most underrated: Jabaja

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mana

Mana Under Girls

I'm currently going through AKB's discography, I know a LOT of the songs but not all of them so I go through the discography little by little (and often check the lyrics translations when I love a song because it often makes it even better) so I'll probably give a better answer to this topic in a few weeks/months LOL

But for now what I can say, mostly for a-sides, the most overrated to me;

- Koisuru Fortune Cookie: it's not a bad song, but it's also not a great song to me. One thing I like about it is how it makes everyone dance along and it brings a positive atmosphere. but overall it's simply not my type of songs, I admit I'm surprised at how big it became back then and until now... but yes it's great for AKB to have such a big hit. For me the song is just ok.

Most underrated;

- Gingham Check: I have to agree with this one that was mentioned a lot, when it was released, I feel like people didn't really care... but for me it became a favorite right away. I love it more than Heavy Rotation. Especially the last chorus, I love how it sounds (around 4:30 to 5:00 in the music video). It's such a perfect idol song!
    - Labrador Retriever: Another song that is a perfect idol song to me, I loved it right away! I feel like not many people remember or love this song, and AKB rarely performs it... I love the instrumental and it's so refreshing, it really gives a summer feeling in a relaxing way and it's also a really cute song.
    - Green Flash: I think it's one of AKB's best a-sides. it's rarely performed, and I think it deserved to get more popular... it's a really really really good song... I like the music video too.
    - Kimi wa Melody: I feel like this song should have become one of AKB's big hits. it's absolutely perfect for spring, it sounds so fresh, beautiful, and the music video was full of colors and amazing sets. the instrumental and verses are so good... and chorus too. I think it could have been a huge hit the same way as 365 is... if it had the right promo and better luck.

I think that's it for a-sides. I won't go into b-sides or stage songs yet, except that I want to say, I rarely liked AKB's b-sides in recent years, but then I discovered a b-side called Position, and this song is just AMAZING. You have to hear it in full because it gets even better in the end when the chorus is more powerful. I can't believe AKB used this as b-side... in the current situation they can't keep great songs in b-sides when their a-sides are rarely memorable. I feel that this song was wasted T_T I need more people to know and appreciate it!

if the video does not show watch the video here

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Orangerafi

Orangerafi Member

Oshimen:
    SeichanKomiharuMiionMacharin
    Overrated:

Koisoru Fortune Cookie - I used to like it until AKB keeps performing it everywhere that made me dislike it.

Flying Get - Never really liked it from the start.

Underrated:

Position - This is a B-side song that I feel should have been an A-side.

Gingham Check - This song is very idolish plus he MV is just amazing. I can't stop listening to he song and watching the MV at the same time.

Nanka, Choto, Kyuu ni - I just love the song for some unknown reason.

Osaekirenai Shoudou - Aside from being a Seichan centre song, I really like the calm feeling of the song and MV.

Maebure - The song felt like a foreshadowing to Mayuyu's graduation. Also, the song itself is soothing to listen.

• Like Like x 2
  17. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    I agree with this especially as it's the song which got me into AKB fandom. When I paid my first-ever visit to Japan in March 2015 I heard it being played all over Tokyo and it very quickly became an earworm for me. I also like the MV and I can't tire of watching it. My guess that it's less popular is because the W-center members Yukirin and Nyan get so little screen time in the MV, and yes that's bad, but I enjoy seeing the performances of Sakura, Jurina and Paruru in it.

I also felt it was foreshadowing her graduation when I first heard it. I did a lot of binge-watching of MVs over the holidays and this one actually made me a little misty-eyed especially as my now-departed SKE kami-oshi Ryoha is in it.

My own #1 underrated A-side is the 34th single Kimi no Hohoemi wo Yume ni Miru which I love to listen to a full blast on my headphones lol. Is it overlooked because it has a senbatsu based on Janken results? Personally I think it's great to see members such as Tano, Hirari and Abemaru in an A-side.

I also feel that Gingham Check is underrated but I do prefer to watch the Dance version MV.

A couple of other songs I think are underrated are Ai no Sonzai, the theme from the 4th Documentary, and the charity single Dareka no Tame ni. The most underrated B-sides for me are Choose Me, Yuuhi Marie, Konjo and Seijun Tired. (and I'd also like to add some love for Position.)

As for overrated, for me again it has to be KFC together with Flying Get.

18. AloNeko

AloNeko Member

so summasummarum, usually if look these , "overrated"is also used too much time, underrated: less at i hope...

19. Britney M. Carey

Britney M. Carey Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Watanabe Mayu
    Here come my little lists for the A-sides (note: these are opinions, not facts):
    Overrated:
    1. Flying Get: The video is legendary within AKB world, of course, but I don't have a lot of love for the lyrics.
    2. 365nichi no Kamihikouki: It's a nice song in overall - good melody, good vocals, good lyrics, etc., but I don't think it can be as popular internationally as Heavy Rotation
    3. River: It's great lyrically, and the video's military theme is iconic. Other than that, I'm not a fan of the song's idolish sound. Could it have been a little cooler?
    Underrated:
    1. Sakura no Shiori: I love playing this track at every New Year celebration. It can bring a soothing and calming effect on the listeners easily. Another thing, the instruments and the way the song is sung sound uniquely Japanese!
    2. Bokutachi wa Tatakawanai: N46's Synchronicity, arguably their greatest A-side to date, can be comparable only to BwT, a largely forgotten A-side of AKB). I love everything about BwT, although it used to took me some time to realize how good it is.
    3. Tsubasa wa Iranai: Doesn't anyone realize this song is about maturity and self-power? Listening to it when hardships come makes me feel more positive about the future and it's like it encourages me to pick myself up and keep going. Similar to SnS, it's like a throwback to some old 80s Japanese songs, which makes it unique on its own.

20. Izzy Trinh

Izzy Trinh Future Girls Studio48 Contributor

Oshimen:
    AKB48 Yukirin, AKB48 Naamin
    Underrated:
    1. Osaekirenai Shoudou: the intro just steal my heart from the first note
    2. Haru no Hikari Chikadzuita Natsu: A senbatsu that just AKB, a song that makes everybody dance
    3. Tsubasa wa Iranai: I don't know why this masterpiece is so underrated. It's like a throughback to old Japaneses song, aucoustic song with a guitar and the lyrics is on point too.
    4. Position: Lots of people has said about this song before but yes I don't know why they put this song as a Bside, they has wasted one of the best song in about 3 years lately
    5.Kaze wa Fuiteiru: A little dark concept, I really like the dance version of the song
    Overrated:
    1. Flying get: From the first time I heard this song it was just so noisy and also the tempo is too fast that I can't hear the lyric clearly
    2. Koisuru fortune cookie: A good song but consider as AKB signature, NOOOOO

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1