TV / Radio Produce 48 (2018/06/15 - 2018/08/31)

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by ForrestFuller, Nov 29, 2017.

1. pikachuwei

pikachuwei Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Suicidal to do 48 cover in a show named P48 which may have its debut song produced by Aki-P? I will be highly surprised if there isn’t at least 1 48 cover in P48. If there really was that much negative stigma from the 48 name they wouldn’t have announced the collaboration in the first place.

Jiyeon was the main visual/arguably the face which as other people have mentioned is not the same as a center role. Faces/visuals like Yoona, Taeyeon, Suzy, Hyorin, CL etc have existed in the industry for years but they never eclipsed the rest of their group. Compare that with Chaeyeon pre-IOI where she shared equal time with the other members to post-IOI where DIA is literally Chaeyeon and friends (one of their album covers had her standing way in front of the rest of the group). That’s pretty much as close to a center treatment in k-pop as you’d get. Same with Doyeon/Yoojung in their debut song which was 90% them in the MV/choreo.

The thing is there is basically no game shows for idols left these days besides Weekly Idol, ISAC if you really want to count it and the occasional invite to other mainstream shows (Happy Together/Running Man/Knowing Bros). As for Twice, Lost Time can be counted as a game variety show for them as they had to do several challenges. Sex/dissing jokes may feel crude to some but it feels more unfiltered and real. Most people in their teens/early twenties joke about these sorts of things with their friends. Not saying that K-idols are constantly fake onscreen or on V-lives but you can definitely feel that they need to watch their words and protect their ‘image’ a bit more carefully as they can get their career destroyed for much less (see that boy group guy who pretty much got fucked over for accidentally touching Somi the wrong way.) I will admit Mamamoo is one that bucks this trend of being overly safe. However they do get shit from K-netz for basically not being overly safe.

Momo isn’t overrated when her peers acknowledge her skills and she did score okay on Hit the Stage her second time around. Yea there may be nugu girl group members better at dancing (RIP The Ark) but amongst the popular groups she’s one of the best.

You can’t say Touchdown is dynamic and hard to keep 9 girls in sync and then turn around and say UZA/Fukyouwaon aren’t dynamic choreos that require just as much effort to keep even more girls in sync. UZA isn’t just ‘body waves + a scorpion move’ just as Touchdown isn’t just ‘lots of clapping and stomping’. I mean let's be honest, Touchdown isn't THAT hard. They do get busy in the chorus but there's a whole heap of downtime in the verses where they aren't doing much at all.

if the video does not show watch the video here

I don't think it's harder than some of the more difficult 48/46G choreo. Something like Rookie on the other hand is probably harder than any 48G dance. However I believe no idol girl group choreo from either side is truly impossible for current idols to learn to an acceptable degree within a month of hard practice. The exception may be After School's First Love because the pole-dancing in there may take a while longer to train up if they don't have prior experience.

I think you guys are missing the point. A lot of people in the thread were wondering if a high ranked girl like Sakura would join the competition for exposure. My initial point was that instead of taking the risk of competing (unless the girl in question really wanted to join) it would be safer to have high rank girls guesting on the show in another fashion for mediaplay.

If P48 includes a 48G cover stage, my money would be on UZA as one of the choices (I pray there won't be Heavy Rotation or KFC but chances are they will be included). UZA may not be THE hardest 48G dance but it's definitely up there and has been famous for years for being the hardest choreo of any popular AKB48 senbatsu A-side whilst many of the other often nominated tough choreos are much less well-known sister group singles.

In the eyes of hardcore fans Jurina/Sayanee aren't top 5 technical dancers in 48G, maybe not even in the top 10-20. However compared to the hundreds of girls in 48/46G as a whole they are definitely considered good dancers with great stage presence. More importantly, they are the aces of SKE48 and NMB48 respectively and two of the top dogs of 48G as a whole whereas with the exception of Yui, all the other girls listed as better dancers are pretty lowly ranked. I mean Makiko, Nana and Yui were all part of the latest dance senbatsu and yet again the focus was on Sayanee (center) and Jurina (though Makiko did get a decent amount as well). Even if the other girls are the best dancers, they've never had an official dance ranking list announcing them as the best. Meanwhile Sayanee gets to be the center of 'dance-heavy' songs, effectively declaring her skill. Jurina centering the notorious UZA speaks volumes, especially since it was officially known that Mayuyu had to give up her center position to Yuko due to being unable to master the choreo. Whilst the center may not be the absolute best dancer in the line-up, it is expected that they be able to perform to a consistently high standard and a great center can carry the stage with their presence.

Mnet loves their storylines. What do you think would sell better to them:

1) A low-ranking 48G member (who may have never centered an A-side or even a B-side depending on the person) pops in to teach the choreo of a relatively obscure song. Fans think she's one of the best dancers though and the choreo is super hard!

vs

2) Jurina, one of the Top 3 ranking girls in 48G, favourite to win 2018 SSK, been in the business for 10 years since she was 11, ace of one of the sister teams, center for countless singles, sacrifices her busy schedule to teach the notoriously difficult choreo of a popular AKB song that she was the center for!

It's really a no-brainer, I can see the introduction reel for 2) playing itself already. Sayanee would also be a pretty easy slot in for a similar 2) scenario though I think Jurina has the most marketable narrative here. (bias aside)

At the end of the day, all this talk of guesting is just my conjecture. In my opinion it would be a relatively risk-free and potentially rewarding opportunity to push 48G a little on the international stage. There's been a sentiment for a long time that Japanese idols from 48G are strictly inferior to their Korean counterparts in all areas, something that would not sit well with management and Japanese fans tuning in. It would be an embarrassment for the Japanese side if say a high-profile 48G member like Sakura joins and then proceeds to fall hard in the rankings due to perceived lack of skill. Even if UZA isn't really that hard for contestants to learn and Jurina isn't actually that good at dancing in comparison to Korean idols, a little bit of good old video editing can go a long way to spin a completely opposite narrative to viewers and bolster the rep of 48G.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. kero__kero

kero__kero Upcoming Girls

korean 48g fans do not want to see the 48g members on this show

• Like Like x 1
  3. plomeplome

plomeplome Upcoming Girls

I dont think people should compare LDH groups with other idols, they are basically singers and glorified back up dancers. Yes, the dancers are very good but they only dance. They are pretty much Japanese equivalent of Kwon Twins and Casper who are famous backup dancers.

I do agree that Uza is very hard, harder than alot of kpop songs. Thats why 48G girls can never perform this song even close to perfect, when they cant even dance simple songs in sync.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pikachuwei

pikachuwei Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    I don't think 48G management is targetting KR 48G fans with this move since they are already loyal to the brand. Produce101 has become absolutely huge in Korea and the international K-pop community in the last two years (IOI and Wanna One both became top 3 groups in popularity pretty much instantly) and all eyes are on P48 since the announcement. It's definitely been hyped a lot more at least internationally than the first two seasons. J-pop has struggled to expand outside of Japan ever since Hallyu went on the rise but they are definitely hope that P48 can reignite some interest in the 48G franchise, whether it be through the resulting popularity of KOR48 or even renewed interest in the core franchises in Japan. A lot of older K-pop fans came from J-pop back in the day after all (as many of us in this very thread can attest).

Yeah LDH groups are min-maxers, their dancers have max level in dancing but like zero in singing (their singers often aren't even that good either). Their choreos are always impressive to look at though and they make a lot of solid club bangers (HIGHER GROUND, R.Y.U.S.E.I and most of E-girls songs are right up my alley)

Imagining an UZA performed with K-pop polish and precision gets me pretty excited to be honest. Though the messiness of the originals does add somewhat to the chaos. I get more hyped watching the original senbatsu crew dancing it than I do the cleaner performances by newer gens (though they did tone down the choreo to be easier over time apparently). The senbatsu team just has that raw wild energy to their performance. (could just be nostalgia though)

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av8941190/?from=search&seid=17710414837289964292

Top 5 UZA perfs (#3 and #2 are my personal favourites)

• Like Like x 1
  5. kero__kero

kero__kero Upcoming Girls

its because oshima yuko’s stage presence is amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Twice48

Twice48 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oginoyuka
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Matsui Hikari

Matsui Hikari Future Girls Stage48 Donor

• Like Like x 1
  8. Twice48

Twice48 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oginoyuka
    I never said she sung it with her own voice in a serious matter. I said she was singing to it, & lip syncing for fun is still singing to it :rolleyes: I didn’t mislead, you just made a false assumption

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. welp

welp Next Girls

I saw videos of original line-up pulled off scorpion move but, as not everyone did it and it was difficult to keep track who was where, I don't know if Sayanee did it.

A key factor is the blocking, while 48 has simple blocking, K-pop groups keep changing their position every 10 seconds, everyone takes turn going back and front, thus it is not as apparent on the stage who is the center. Still, it can be in the MV or album jacket. The level of center emphasis is different from case to case.

Must Be Now is average? :rolleyes:

I have discussed twice why it should not be 48 cover in this show. If 48 girls do well in the mission, "Of course they did well, they're their own songs. Someone were desperate to make 48 girls won.". If they fail, "ㅋㅋㅋㅋ They even lost to our girls in their own songs.". It will result negatively either ways. This has nothing to do with stigma.

CL and Hyorin were not visuals of their groups, Dara and Dasom were. Jiyeon was the center of T-ARA, she bcame the center after she got popular from a drama. K-pop needs not to share the same "center" concept to J-pop.

Funny that Running Man was the only "game show" in your comment yet you put it in "other mainstream shows" blanket. There are other game shows in Korea such as Mater Key and Mystery Ranking (both are boring though).

A person can be real and not rude, pervert.

Mamamoo has come this far because of their over-the-top characters. There was a time when Mamamoo's fans complaint why members became so normal.

The Ark was not that good dance wise. You may watch The Uni+ and see how ex-The Ark's main dancer, Suji, fares against other main dancers.

It's debatable who is the best dancer among Lisa, Seulgi and Momo. I don't think Jurina is that behind Momo either.

Touchdown isn't hard? I challenge you to try stomping/ tapping along the song in sync with other 8 persons and also move accordingly to the blocking pattern. The leg move must be not easy to sync whereas there aren't as much leg movement in Fukyouwaon and UZA.

Guest dance coaching of whole Gfriends and Mina and Momo of Twice barely had any impact on the (tragic) rating of Idol School, neither popular celeb mentor can save the rating of The Uni+. I can't see why the similar tactic will have any big impact in PD48.

While it is almost impossible for Sakura to fall out of top 3 in next election, it's very unlikely that she can beat can beat Jurina out to take the crown unless she takes the risk. Also, I have discussed it may be not about who "want to join" but whom the "agency" wants to join.

Mnet will rather love story line 3) buried talented pretty contestant from 48 being noticed and shoot up crazily on vote ranking, or
    4) 2 top prospective election winners, Jurina and Sakura, move their fighting stage to PD48.

"It would be an embarrassment for the Japanese side if say a high-profile 48G member like Sakura joins and then proceeds to fall hard in the rankings" sounds like something that will make 48 wota vote insanely and generate $$$ to Aki-P and Mnet.

While I did say "Aside from the scorpion move, almost all K-pop idols can do UZA routine", it is most technically difficult among AKB's all routines in a sense. The routine requires fluid intensive movement of upper body including the neck and it will be impossible to deliver well unless the dancer has practiced body isolation for few years. It is not challenging for a dancer with solid basic but it will be impossible for a dancer lacking it. Anyone can notice some members in back row looking stiff. (And I won't be surprised if no 48 girl has performed it singing live, it's impossible to sound nice when the chest and neck are moved a lot.) On the other hand, I can see noobs nail River or Beginner within few months.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Matsui Hikari

Singing: make musical sounds with the voice, especially words with a set tune
    a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

Thank you very much to you both for making me a dictionary today :blush:

• Like Like x 2
  11. HappySakuraHappy

HappySakuraHappy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    I honestly think you should stop being as rude as you are. It’s not pleasing to see more than one time on multiple pages. It does nothing but cause issues.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Twice48

Twice48 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oginoyuka
    Me trying to figure out what difference it being made:wtf::confused::huh:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Matsui Hikari

Shoutout to the 1 billion and 1 people that are worser than me :shifty:
    We should call lip syncing as live singing next time :hehe:

• Like Like x 2
  14. singlepersona

singlepersona Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    I don't want to go off topic any further than this but that's some hilariously backwards logic, as if whether people out there are better or worse should have any affect on whether you can be polite. It's sad that you don't care about being in the top 50% of decent human beings

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. Matsui Hikari

(last post because it's ridiculous) Nice job trying to stand up? I bet that you wouldn't have said anything if no one said anything.

My initial intention wasn't "rude" or "impolite" but someone decided to take the wrong way and it just turned out this way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Besides, I do have a point. It is TECHNICALLY not singing. Also, I did not make a "false assumption" because no one (or I shouldn't say NO ONE huh) considers lip syncing and dancing to music "singing."

• Like Like x 1
  16. Twice48

Twice48 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oginoyuka
    Who mentioned live singing tho? :huh:

The singing comment must’ve been a very huge world crisis lol [hehe]

The power of Fuuchan singing to Momoland’s Bboom Bboom. Bopping only, no false assumptions :1st:

https://twitter.com/LyraPro/status/953949437188911104?ref_src=twcamp^share|twsrc^m5|twgr^email|twcon^7046|twterm^1

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. pikachuwei

pikachuwei Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Assuming a few newer gen girls join P48 I don't think there will be a lot of negativity if they perform older AKB48 songs from golden age as they weren't around back in the day. I mean Chanmi didn't have any controversy performing ITNW on P101 even though she had practiced it years prior as part of the original SNSD line up. The only negativity was when she botched her high note.

Running Man is a mainstream show because it is not idol-focused, all sorts of SK celebs guest on the show. The only remaining still running idol-exclusive variety/game shows that I can think of are Weekly Idol and ISAC. The reason I'm focusing on the idol-centric part is because Japan has plenty of non-idol exclusive shows that 48G members appear on too but they have their own slew of exclusive variety shows dedicated to the franchise.

Idol School was doomed to fail because its pool of contestants were frankly awful (never forget that Rookie cover) and no amount of guest stars can save it. The Unit had more promise (had okay ratings at first) but I think people just found it boring as the show dragged on. Mix Nine is a flaming dump because lol YG. To be honest all 3 shows also suffered from negative stigma due to oversaturation of survival shows. Produce is a proven juggernaut franchise at this point though. S1 was the first large scale female show and S2 was the first large scale male show (Boys24 and Pentagon were too small in scope to compete). Plus as much as we hate them for it, MNet made very good storylines for both Produce seasons. I feel S3 would have had a real risk of running into the troubles met by The Unit/Mix Nine if it was a simple rehash of S1 but the 48G collab twist was a pretty genius move for reigniting interest.

If it's just Sakura vs Jurina she's going to get smoked by Big J or even overtaken by Ogino unless Sasshi convinces her fans to transfer all their votes to her. However if Yukirin/Sayanee do the unexpected and rejoin for a royal rumble then I'd say anything is possible depending on how Mayuyu/Sasshi's votes are distributed.

3) is definitely something Mnet will love and I predict will actually happen but I feel 4) is far too detrimental to the Japanese side to ever be possible. A lot of fans will rip on the girls and management for selling out to Korea and it's very likely both of them will tank hard in SSK from fan boycotts. There's no way Jurina would risk her near guaranteed #1 like that this year after fighting so desperately for it for an entire decade. Plus even though she's been stepping back, Jurina is still very much the heart and soul of SKE48 for now and it's a big risk to remove her when the group is still slowly stabilizing in sales. Sakura is also very important to HKT/AKB and plus she sells a shit load of hand shakes. The risk is simply too big for any top 10 girl I feel.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shirase Miyuki

Shirase Miyuki Member

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    I think so too. I don't think a song like UZA would have the same effect with the current members, without Yuko or Takamina etc.
    I really don't think they can compare to professional performances Korean girls do, but it's sure a good chance to make them learn a different style of 'idols' up close, and bring the KPop professionalism back with them to AKB.

• Like Like x 2
  19. welp

welp Next Girls

I don't think K-netz nor international non wota viewers will bother to educate themselves which year each 48 single released and which year each member enrolled. They may not even bother to look up not every 48 girls are AKB's members. Youngji who joined KARA in its last 2 years sometimes asked by Korean hosts to do KARA's earlier routines.

It was questionable how close of being a member of Girls' Gen Chanmi was and I doubt if she actually was trained to perform Into the New World. The closest "almost" Girls' Gen member was Soyeon of T-ARA and when she was requested to sing a Girls' Gen's song, she sang "Gee", sounded like she practiced Gee.

Any 48 girl makes it to be a winner of the show will be unable to join the election. Even if the show ends before election, she'll be too busy with debut preparation schedule plus variety show appearance to participate in election single.

Promising election senbatsu joining the show may promote herself as martyr, one sacrificing her election title, risking her status in her base to promote 48 group oversea.

AKS loves to deliver surprise and Sakura/ Jurina joining the show will be a big one. Also, AKS definitely will gain a lump sum from PD48 group. The loss from the absence of Jurina and Sakura in several activities likely will be covered mostly by some fanmeets and high touch events.

Unfortunately, AKB does not have the system to support the professionalism.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. HappySakuraHappy

HappySakuraHappy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    It’s not that questionable. Both girls were meant to debut with SNSD, but left prior. Chanmi even recorded with them for ITNW. I'm unsure if Soyeon did but they were both apart of the 2nd to last “final” lineup. As far as Gee is, it’s possible that Soyeon had once sung it or planned to sing it but as it’s SNSD’s 4th single (and from 2009), I doubt she was originally there for it or trained for it.

https://snsdkorean.com/2010/01/02/the-making-of-so-nyuh-shi-dae/

• Like Like x 1