1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Rate the last film you watched

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by CDevil, Jul 6, 2007.

1. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. Some will say it's boring, but I had again a great time. And this time, unlike in Skyfall, I really liked Barden's character 9/10

2. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Oh lol. My friend said that The Last Knight is the worst Transformers movie ever. Age of Extinction that was released in 2014 was named a flop too. Ironically, these 2 latest Transformers movies that went flop were directed by same director as previous Transfomers movies that were very successful, Michael Bay.

Meanwhile Star Wars movies since the franchise was acquired by Disney aren't directed by George Lucas, director of original trilogy of Star Wars. But they're still very good. But there was also a Star Wars movie that went flop, it was Clone Wars, an animated movie set between episode 2 & 3.

Another scifi franchise, I'm waiting for Pacific Rim 2 that will be released next year. Rinko Kikuchi as mako Mori is back. The sequel features new characters such as one played by John Boyega. Yeah, Star Wars & Pacific Rim, John Boyega has badass filmography. I think he just became one of my favorite actors.

Yeah, sci-fi is my favorite genre of movie. At least movies with visual effects & CGI.

3. karles48

Mission: Impossible - Ghost protocol. I thought it was the last movie of the series but I soon realized I had already watched this one. Anyway, I enjoyed it because it's thrilling. However, I still believe it's ridiculous how they say they don't have anything to work with...but they end up using everything they need for every situation...a machine that makes rubber masks of any person, a plane, a futuristic car, that thing they use to fool the guard at the Kremlin, all kinds of credentials and uniforms...that isn't impossible, that's just unbelievable... :^^;: 7/10

4. Maalat

Maalat Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yagurafuuko
    All Eyez On Me
    2/5
    Dissapointing. I was hoping it would be on the same level as Straigh Outta Compton.

5. karles48

Wonder woman. I liked it. Yes, I liked it more than I expected. 9/10

6. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

I dunno... when it comes to Pottermore movies... there's just something about NYC that isn't as charming as London. Just couldn't get into it... though to be fair, I'm not a hardcore fantasy fan (sci-fi more than fantasy). The fx though, were really neat.

7. JoltFiend

JoltFiend Future Girls Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    joltfiend
    Baby Driver

Easily one of Edgar Wright's best movies. Great cast, wonderful music throughout, some pretty good driving sequences, some good laughs here and there, and a good story. Definitely recommend seeing it.

8. karles48

In time. Ah, an interesting movie. There are some holes in the plot here and there, but I really liked it. Besides, Justin surprised me...and Mrs Seyfried was gorgeous (well, she always is :drool:) 9/10

9. Vezon40k

Vezon40k Kenkyuusei

Spiderman Homecoming

11/10 would watch again

10. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Spider-Man Homecoming.

4.5/5

Excelent but Spider-Man 3 is still the best Spider-Man movie for me.

11. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Dredd. It's a 2012 movie, so not exactly new... not much of a 'go see the new hotness' type, me and the wife like our dates on Sunday matinees after brunch for new releases, and Netflix/Amazon Prime/iTunes (in that order) for everything out of cinema...

I'm a huuuuge cyberpunk fan, from back in the late '80s / early '90s when JDM cyberpunk in manga and anime were really booming, then remained a fan well into the Y2Ks until the 'moe boom' took over. :hmm::fp: Now cyberpunk is coming back (Blade Runner 2049!!!), but 5 yrs ago this Dredd came out and promptly tanked.

However, viewed with 2016/17 eyes, with Baron Harkonnen and OCP running the country now*... Dredd takes on this weird, 'I can see this actually happening with these morons at the wheel' sort of indulgent prescience. Viewers unnerved by ultraviolence will certainly balk, as people are blown into hamburger and bone fragments nearly every single minute in this flick. But I did like how the production company chose to retcon the insipid Stallone stinker 'Judge Dredd' (1995) and create a world closer the the original comic's... which was truly visionary back in the late '70s. Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson was an inspired choice.

The SFX were very good, and I especially liked the rendering of SloMo, the 'narcotic' drug Ma-Ma is kingpin for (actually more a dissociative drug IMO) along with the soundscape used to depict its effects. Despite how some critics panned the lack of the comic's subversive humor in the film (supposedly more like RoboCop's), as a cyberpunk fan I thought worldbuilding for dystopia was more important than getting every single detail right. Turns out the movie clicked for me, and apparently for thousands of secondary market fans too, as a cult film.

I look forward to future cyberpunk screenplays wishing to one-up this movie's vision of brutalist concrete and Megacities**, with near-as-indistinguishable-from-magic tech + lethal due process... vs. a world of human beings driven mad by utter lack of the natural world + forced proximity.

--

* character from 'Dune' (1984) and the malicious greed-driven corporation Omni Consumer Products from 'RoboCop' (1987), for those of you not familiar...

** one thing '2000AD / Judge Dredd' the comic didn't get in the late '70s, was the effect such arcological megacities would have on the environment, circularly affecting the feasibility of such "communities". I feel 'Dredd' tries to reconcile this by making MC1 more a Sprawl with regularly-tiled, giant vertical 'suburboid' buildings... than the pervasive, continuous kilometer-high 'canopies' of concrete in the comic, which is a common trope in cyberpunk (see Tsutomu Nihei's 'Blame!' for a version of this, extended to absurd but aesthetically fascinating extreme).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  12. karles48

Another double session:
    * Rough night: if you like the Hangover movies I guess you'll like it, but it isn't a movie I'd watch again. 5/10
    * Spider-man: homecoming. The second half is great, but the first part...I don't mind a cent about Peter's puberty problems. I got bored until the action began so I'm afraid I must give it a 6/10. It's a pity... Btw, one of the best things is the great performance from Michael Keaton...and the worst of all is Ned...I hadn't found such an irritating character since Jar Jar Binks...:fp:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  13. karles48

I'm getting used to double sessions:
    * Snatched: another movie that believes that the only way to make people laugh is through violence... Besides, I can't stand Any Schumer, her roles always are irksome and stupid... 4/10
    * Atomic blonde: it's true that it's like a James Bond film, but it's far more violent. At first it's a bit confusing, but things fit together in the end. It's entertaining...and it's got a fitting music score 7/10

14. karles48

Joe vs The Volcano. One of my favorite films. Every time I watch this movie I fall in love with it...and with Meg Ryan... :cute: 10/10

15. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Probably the most underrated Tom Hanks film (this, and Bachelor Party) Great cast! From Ossie Davis as the limo driver, to Abe Vigoda (!!!!) as the tribal chief. And let's not forget Dan Hedaya as his annoying boss. ("I know he can get the job, but can he DO the job??? I'm not arguing that with you!!!")

Such a great, and quotable movie.

16. karles48

The princess bride. Always romantic, always thrilling, always funny...and Mark Knopfler composed the right soundtrack... 10/10

17. karles48

Las aventuras de Tadeo Jones 2. I liked it, it's far better than most of the Spanish animated films. 8.5/10

18. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    I don't always watch movies but when I do it's Dunkirk in IMAX.

9.5/10

Spoiler, it's not a war movie

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

19. Spoony Rice

Spoony Rice Member

Oshimen:
    込山榛香
    Twitter:
    Spoony_Rice
    Death Note 4/10, I really felt like they tried to hard with the scenes and the characters. Since I'm familiar with the original work I just couldn't get into it, kept cracking jokes throughout it. However certain scenes were very nice to look at, still wish I'd never seen it

20. Yukitie

Yukitie Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Kashiwagi Yuki
    Twitter:
    katiechan48
    Watched two recently...

Sharknado 5
    Could almost have been believable but for his robotic wife.
    I joke.
    I think I lost interest around #3 but am watching them out of sheer dedication to Z movies.
    They have also completely set it up for #6 so got that to look forward to...
    3/10

The Mummy
    Tom Cruise running into another franchise that did not need a goddamn remake omfg Hollywood find an original idea and basically turning it into something nobody asked for and very few people liked.
    I think one of the few redeeming moments was seeing him get slapped about and possibly the occasional witty comment that I have now forgotten... because it is that kind of movie.
    I hear there is a franchise planned... insert facepalm here.
    3/10